Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

Signs of life?

Pixelationist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Pixelationist

So I've had my Vita for about a month now and am a bit concerned by the utter lack of new releases and support it has received since launch.

I check the PSN store once every few days and have seen nothing new come up for a while, even some casual digging around on the net unearths very little about what we can expect in the near future.

Do you guys have any info on the following;

1 - What are the notable upcoming release for Vita and when?

2 - When is Gravity Rush coming out in Europe?

3 - Will there be any more PSP games coming to PSN or is that done and dusted?

4 - Is PSone support still in the pipeline and when can we expect to see it?

It's worrying how little info is out there regarding the Vita's future, or am I just expecting too much too early?

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#2  Edited By Legend

Gravity Rush will be released on June 12th in NA and June 13th in Europe. Sony is probably saving all their "big" announcements for E3, so we'll have to wait until then.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By DeF

Vita is suffering from post-launch depression.

This is gonna be pretty much like it was last year with the 3DS. Launch, then nobody plays it and people complain, then at E3 there's a big game blowout for the holiday season and there'll be a few killer apps.

Avatar image for dragoonkain1687
    DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By DragoonKain1687

@DeF said:

This is gonna be pretty much like it was last year with the 3DS. Launch, then nobody plays it and people complain, then at E3 there's a big game blowout for the holiday season and there'll be a few killer apps.

This. Every console goes through it. Its a sad part of life.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By kindgineer

@DragoonKain1687 said:

@DeF said:

Yup, no one's really satisfied when it comes to "console" launches because we play games like they are pieces of candy. I thought the Vita launch was decent (it lacked an RPG or two).

DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DragoonKain1687

Totally lacks an RPG. Im having a blast though, because since it was said in advance that UMVC3 and BlazBlue Extend were to be released with Vita, I never bought them on my PS3, so I have new stuff to play. But it is still mostly average game, that includes Uncharted, and ports. At least UMVC 3 and BB are amazing ports. BB online works amazing, and the vast amounts of modes to play is great.

Avatar image for deactivated-64b7ee273746a
    deactivated-64b7ee273746a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@Pixelationist said:

I check the PSN store once every few days and have seen nothing new come up for a while, even some casual digging around on the net unearths very little about what we can expect in the near future.

They update weekly, no need to check the store more often than that.

@ccampb89 said:

I thought the Vita launch was decent (it lacked an RPG or two).

I've been spending most of my Vita playing time working on PSP RPGs I never got around to. Launching with a huge back catalog of PSP games was a good move on Sony's part, and it's helped me keep up interest in using my Vita.

DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DragoonKain1687

Finished most of my PSP games back in the day. Anyway, I have most of them on UMD's. May upgrade to Digital once they drop in price.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Rhaknar

i love my Vita (well, mostly as a better version of the psp since all i play on it after finishing uncharted is psp games, and the ocasional marvel match) but i wont get too worried until E3. If E3 is a bust, then ill start getting worried, but with the amount of psp games i already bought and played, it was already worth it anyway. But games until E3 that are coming out:

April:

Disgaea 3 (didnt play it on ps3 and loved disgaea 1 and 2 on psp)

May

Mortal Kombat (fighters work awesome on this system and i didnt play the console versions)

Resistance (maybe, we'll see how it pans out, would like to see a good fps on the system, it clearly has the tools for it)

June

Gravity Rush (looks amazing, will buy for sure)

Little Big Planet (no interest in this buy i guess its a big release)

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kindgineer

@Keen314 said:

@Pixelationist said:

@ccampb89 said:

I've been spending most of my Vita playing time working on PSP RPGs I never got around to. Launching with a huge back catalog of PSP games was a good move on Sony's part, and it's helped me keep up interest in using my Vita.

I guess that's a flaw in my eyes, the hardware should come with enough content to support all facets of gamer's. People into Racing, Adventuring, or Puzzles had a nice push, but the others were left behind. Had Sony backed the launch with a Square title - even a remake/hd - it would have held a lot more water for me. As for me, I'll be waiting until the catalog broadens so that I'm not upgrading my PSP to a Vita for the sake of playing that which I can already play now, if that makes any sense :)

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Enigma777

The only one I care for is Gravity Rush. Maybe Disgaea 3 (though I still have a sealed PS3 copy and need to finish 2)...

DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DragoonKain1687

@ccampb89 said:

@Keen314 said:

@Pixelationist said:

@ccampb89 said:

I guess that's a flaw in my eyes, the hardware should come with enough content to support all facets of gamer's. People into Racing, Adventuring, or Puzzles had a nice push, but the others were left behind. Had Sony backed the launch with a Square title - even a remake/hd - it would have held a lot more water for me. As for me, I'll be waiting until the catalog broadens so that I'm not upgrading my PSP to a Vita for the sake of playing that which I can already play now, if that makes any sense :)

I bought the 3DS with Nintendogs for my girl and just played Pokemon Black till Zelda and later Revelaitons (XD). A release never has amazing games sadly.

Suoritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Suoritus

I agree that tbe psp catalog was a good move. I'm waiting for general price drop on the first batch of games, so i'm happy with psp games. Frankly I'm surprised how good catalogue it has. Loving ys oath iin felghana and can't wait to get to try resistance.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kindgineer

@Suoritus said:

I agree that tbe psp catalog was a good move. I'm waiting for general price drop on the first batch of games, so i'm happy with psp games. Frankly I'm surprised how good catalogue it has. Loving ys oath iin felghana and can't wait to get to try resistance.

Oh, Y's is good? I don't have a PSP anymore, nor do I own a Vita, but I saw Y's: Oath in Felghana on Steam and was wondering if it's worth a purchase. Mind giving a quick synopsis of what you do in the game? (I love story, so I want a good story along with the fun looking game-play)

@DragoonKain1687: As much as I wish you were wrong, you're not.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sooty
    @ccampb89 said:

@DragoonKain1687 said:

@DeF said:

Yup, no one's really satisfied when it comes to "console" launches because we play games like they are pieces of candy. I thought the Vita launch was decent (it lacked an RPG or two).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_console_launch_games#Sega_Dreamcast 

Dat Dreamcast launch. Killer.
    DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DragoonKain1687

@ccampb89 said:

@Suoritus said:

Oh, Y's is good? I don't have a PSP anymore, nor do I own a Vita, but I saw Y's: Oath in Felghana on Steam and was wondering if it's worth a purchase. Mind giving a quick synopsis of what you do in the game? (I love story, so I want a good story along with the fun looking game-play)

Y's is a very good series of games. I have all of the PSP games on UMD (sweet limited editions) and they are really fun. Best played on a PSP due to their limited nature as far as graphics go. Wouldn't want to see them on 1080p or more to be honest. The games are a mix of action RPG with puzzles. Solid story narrating the adventures of a duo of friends as they tour different parts of the world. Gameplay is addictive by the way.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By TechHits

@Pixelationist: just a heads up the psn store only updates on Tuesdays, so you only need to check the store once a week.

DonutFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#18  Edited By DonutFever

Mortal Kombat, Stranger's Wrath, Sumioni: Demon Arts (That's out now), Gravity Rush, P4G, Street Fighter X Tekken, Metal Gear Solid HD, Zone of the Enders HD. 

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By sopranosfan

I fhink every system goes through this. I just hope it doesn't end up like the PSP with the label of a system with no games. I had heardthat forevever and was never interested because of it. Now that I have a Vita there are a lot of PSP games that I want and those are just the ones for download.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kindgineer

@DragoonKain1687 said:

@ccampb89 said:

@Suoritus said:

Y's is a very good series of games. I have all of the PSP games on UMD (sweet limited editions) and they are really fun. Best played on a PSP due to their limited nature as far as graphics go. Wouldn't want to see them on 1080p or more to be honest. The games are a mix of action RPG with puzzles. Solid story narrating the adventures of a duo of friends as they tour different parts of the world. Gameplay is addictive by the way.

Awesome, I'll pick it up once I get paid :D

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By nintendoeats

@DragoonKain1687 said:

@DeF said:

Well, every console released since 2005 has anyway...Before then it was a different story.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BlatantNinja23

soundshapes needs to come out now

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#23  Edited By Dagbiker

@DeF said:

What are you talking about, 3Ds is still in the launch window.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Spoonman671

Dude, it's been out for a month.

Suoritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Suoritus

Yeah, oath in felghana is really good. The story is quite typical, but charming (or maybe quaint). The voice acting is good as well, the mayor is a good one (an..Adventurer!?) as is the main bad guy. But the story isn't why you play it, its the zelda style action. Platforming is tivht and boss fights quite demanding. I'd rank this game as quite hard even on normal because of the bosses.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@Pixelationist said:

or am I just expecting too much too early?

That one. All the big things are being held for E3, and getting a vita now is pretty much buying stake into the months to come. At least it wasn't the 3ds, where people bought it and waited almost a year for notable things to come out. I like mine right now because lumines, motorstorm RC, and wipeout are all keeping my time until MK9 comes out. then after that, Littlebigplanet and burning skies.

Pixelationist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Pixelationist

@BestUsernameEver said:

@Pixelationist said:

or am I just expecting too much too early?

That one. All the big things are being held for E3, and getting a vita now is pretty much buying stake into the months to come. At least it wasn't the 3ds, where people bought it and waited almost a year for notable things to come out. I like mine right now because lumines, motorstorm RC, and wipeout are all keeping my time until MK9 comes out. then after that, Littlebigplanet and burning skies.

I guess I am being a little impatient, it's mostly down to the fact that there is just nothing in the near future pipeline that remotely interests me, aside from gravity rush and P4 Golden.

I'm really enjoying my Vita too, first time I've been this into a handheld since the NGPC to be honest. But that's mainly down to all the great PSP jrpgs I missed out on and not the Vita games themselves.

My personal preference for handheld games have always been slow burners that I can play in bursts over a long period of time, such as P3P and FF Tactics. I have very little interest in action oriented games on handhelds because I just feel gimped by the controls. I mean, it just seems silly to play a game like UMvC on the Vita instead of on a big screen with a stick. Same goes for stuff like Uncharted and Ninja Gaiden.

SNK, I hereby beg you, please bring back card-fighters-clash on the Vita...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.