Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

So Hackers Have actually made PS3 Remote play Very Playable

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By mrfluke

I Went down a big rabbit hole with this whole remote play stuff because i wanted to see how it works now, and how bad it is. and then i came across users installing custom firmware on their ps3's

well this user installed custom firmware on the ps3 which allowed him to play ps3 games on vita through remote play, and the results look quite impressive and look quite playable (linked below is tomb raider, bioshock infinite, and crysis 2 running on remote play)

quite impressive as at least to me it looks like it only has minimal latency, (and they are using the back touch screen as substitutes for triggers)

and to think this is running on a custom firmware ps3, the fact that the ps4 will just natively make this happen and said hardware is a lot more powerful than the ps3 leaves me optimistic for how it will work on ps4 (because the majority of the processing/uploading is going to be done on the ps4 if i recall what sony was pitching, and the vita well just act like a terminal/WiiU controller).

yep totally picking up a vita this holiday, seems like there are enough vita specific games also for those times i wont be connected to the internet when traveling.

(btw if you all spot any bullshit in these videos that im overlooking, sound off in the thread)

adding a few more demostrations (linking persona 4 arena, remember me, and SSX and batman arkham city)

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Saw the Bioshock Infinite one like in April or May. It was articles on Polygon and Gameinformer. I found it to be quite impressive. I'm excited to be able to play Infamous Second Son when I want to just lay down in bed.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am curious whether Sony will find some way to patch this out. I mean, they want people using their software the way they want it used, and they don't mind burning down the whole thing to prevent what they see as impropriety. I do hope the quality of the base PS4 firmware and hardware will make that thought meaningless. It certainly appears to have potential!

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

This leads me to wonder why Sony wouldn't just let people use this. I mean it could be a huge feature for Vita Hardware sales if you could play your PS3 games on the go. Granted, stuff like Tomb Raider where you have to constantly be babying the camera doesn't seem like the optimal way to play the game but still....

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Sad to see the Vita become an overpriced Wii U Gamepad. The hardware is there, but the games aren't.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mrfluke

I am curious whether Sony will find some way to patch this out. I mean, they want people using their software the way they want it used, and they don't mind burning down the whole thing to prevent what they see as impropriety. I do hope the quality of the base PS4 firmware and hardware will make that thought meaningless. It certainly appears to have potential!

well its on custom hacked firmware, regular everyday ps3's cant even do this, did some more searching and apparently ps3's older than 2011 are the only ones that can do this.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This is pretty cool, but there's to many hoops to jump through for this to actually be practical. I wonder, once they get their gaikai service up and running, if it will come to Vita, as well. Or at least, Vita via PS4 streaming. There are still plenty of PS3 exclusive games I haven't gotten around to playing, yet.

...though what I want most is to do the opposite, I'd rather play Persona 4 Golden on my TV, I'd be rad if the Vita could stream to the PS4.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mrfluke

@toowalrus said:

This is pretty cool, but there's to many hoops to jump through for this to actually be practical. I wonder, once they get their gaikai service up and running, if it will come to Vita, as well. Or at least, Vita via PS4 streaming. There are still plenty of PS3 exclusive games I haven't gotten around to playing, yet.

...though what I want most is to do the opposite, I'd rather play Persona 4 Golden on my TV, I'd be rad if the Vita could stream to the PS4.

oh yea, doing it right now requires a bunch of steps with downloading and flashing firmware, but its cool to see that the technology is there to get minimal latency.

makes me think doing it on ps4 should be much better now that its natively supported.

thats a good idea you brought up about transferring vita games to the Tv, here's hoping come gamescom they announce you can do that.

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By cloudnineboya

thats impressive stuff why the hell has sony not done this ? i seriously think more people would buy vitas just for this, my god the games look real good especially bioshock, don't know if its because the resolution is smaller plus with the OLED screen looked as good on my pc with high settings .

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Makes me hopeful the remote play on the PS4 wont be shit. Looks good.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mrfluke

Granted, stuff like Tomb Raider where you have to constantly be babying the camera doesn't seem like the optimal way to play the game but still....

id say using the backtouch to manage the camera could be a decent workaround.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Justin258

Does that guy have four hands or is someone else holding the camera? Man, that looks really uncomfortable.

And yes, this is pretty awesome.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

I've tried BlazBlue remote play on the PSP and it's unplayable. I'm sure remote play will be better on the PS4 with the Vita but I think people are expecting too much. It's a neat feature but I doubt people will get much use out of it. I'm hopeful though.

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By szlifier

Yeah, people have been doing that since the first PS3 Custom Firmware in 2010 with PSP instead of Vita. It's stealing CPU power from the game so not everything works great and the latency is a bummer. It looks a bit better on Vita and there is that second analog stick, so I bet it's more usable.

With PS4 you won't have this problem as it's done by a separate chip. It will be this, but with better image quality, no latency and no frame rate hit.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: he mounted the camera to a tripod like thing from the looks of it.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@mrfluke said:

@believer258: he mounted the camera to a tripod like thing from the looks of it.

In that Tomb Raider vid you can clearly see the reflection of someone holding a camera.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evo said:

@mrfluke said:

In that Tomb Raider vid you can clearly see the reflection of someone holding a camera.

the crysis one he is clearly using something to hold it up. maybe the tomb raider one was an old video.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If Sony just let you do that I would be much more interested in buying a Vita.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mrfluke

@turtlebird95: for what its worth, it will apparently be natively supported on ps4,

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So what's the deal with original remote play? Is it just not possible, or is it just really bad or something? I need some context in order to see the improvements...

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy: what ive gathered is that currently doing remote play like this you see in the videos is not possible on regular firmware ps3's, and the remote play that works currently on the few titles (lego batman and a few digital stuff) is very laggy and very unresponsive,

and its apparently pure dogshit trying to do this on the psp.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

@xyzygy: what ive gathered is that currently doing remote play like this you see in the videos is not possible on regular firmware ps3's, and the remote play that works currently on the few titles (lego batman and a few digital stuff) is very laggy and very unresponsive,

How are hackers doing better than Sony themselves are on older firmware?

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mrfluke

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

How are hackers doing better than Sony themselves are on older firmware?

beats me, but the proof is there in those videos, as i believe you cant even stream those games on remote play on the regular firmware,

(i could be wrong as i dont own a vita, but i would think someone would say something if this could be done with this minimal latency already)

most likely sony put their resources in making it work on ps4 as its apparently going to be natively supported with every ps4 game,

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some games work well as it is right now on ps3. I've played a fair bit of tokyo jungle on the Vita, it works surprisingly well. Probably it takes some extra work (and certainly cost associated with it) so publishers/developers don't want to do it.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would assume that this also depends on the connection. Maybe somehow altered their connections to give a stronger signal... or soemthing? i don't see how they could just do so much better than Sony on their own hardware with a simple custom firmware.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

@turtlebird95: for what its worth, it will apparently be natively supported on ps4,

That's pretty awesome, though I have to admit there a shitload of current gen games I'd love to play on it.

Avatar image for live2brighteous
    Live2bRighteous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh my god, having SSX portable would be absolutely amazing.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy: only speaking from reading up on other custom firmware feats on other os, dont know if this way applies to how they did it,

but once you get your own os/firmware in there, you can allocate resources to how you please, the specifics on what they did with that firmware, i have no idea

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

That's pretty awesome, though I have to admit there a shitload of current gen games I'd love to play on it.

yep same, i would love to play something like dark souls this way. probably gonna try doing the steps to get this firmware on my ps3 once ps4 is out,

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait so i could possibly play GTA V on the vita ? i need an old ps3...

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimmyfenix: you'ill need one thats older than 2011, so think more the fat ps3's and not the slim.

id link the steps here, but i think thats against the rules,

downloaded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By downloaded

Is this legal? This is amazing! Once the PS4 comes out I think I'll just pick up a PS3 and stream games to my Vita all day. Is the hacking process complicated?

maccyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By maccyd

Bit expensive to buy both a Vita and PS4 when Wii U does the job...

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Words like "remote play" and "latency" tell me that you have to be close to your PS3 to do this? If that's true then there's no point, you can play the games on the PS3 and a big ass TV.

However if you're saying you can somehow transfer the game to the Vita and then play the game wherever you are, that's pretty sick.

angouri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: bit expensive to buy a WiiU when a 3DS does the job.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By AMyggen

Words like "remote play" and "latency" tell me that you have to be close to your PS3 to do this? If that's true then there's no point, you can play the games on the PS3 and a big ass TV.

However if you're saying you can somehow transfer the game to the Vita and then play the game wherever you are, that's pretty sick.

Yeah, that's my issue with this too. If I don't misunderstand this completely, "remote play" still means that you have to be pretty close to your console (like it means with the Wii U?), so it does nothing for me personally. If I'm at home, I wanna play console games on my TV, not on a Vita. I really don't see this being a big pull for "the mainstream audience" either.

This only applies if remote play actually means that you have to be in your house, playing the thing.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, that's my issue with this too. If I don't misunderstand this completely, "remote play" still means that you have to be pretty close to your console (like it means with the Wii U?), so it does nothing for me personally. If I'm at home, I wanna play console games on my TV, not on a Vita. I really don't see this being a big pull for "the mainstream audience" either.

This only applies if remote play actually means that you have to be in your house, playing the thing.

downloaded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The appeal for me is that I don't really want to invest in a big expensive TV, I never owned a PS3 and I don't think I will be able to get a PS4 anytime soon, BUT I am planning on getting a Vita after the price drop and PS3's can be bought on the cheap. I bet PS3 games will actually look better on the Vita's small screen.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.