Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

So, Vita game recommendations, I guess...?

TheBookNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I got the Vita for Remote Play, but that's not really working out the way I wanted.

So are there any good game recommendations out there. Specifically, I enjoy playing role-playing games with strong loot and crafting systems. I'm not too big on indie stuff, which I understand the Vita has a lot of.

Thanks,
    Book

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Persona 4 Golden is the best game on the vita, no questions asked.

Get it. Simple as that.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#4 fisk0  Moderator

Many of the Atelier games are available on Vita, and they're pretty much all crafting.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

Muramasa Rebirth - My absolute favorite Vita game. Its a stylish 2D hack and slash, with a lot of RPG elements with focus on crafting swords, it has tons of weapons that have different abilities and attack patterns. It also has outstanding DLC that each have unique stories, art and playable characters, each unique and unlike the others. Highly recommend it.

Tales of Hearts R - Really solid entry in the Tales series, a remake of a DS game but better in almost every way. As big and robust as any other in the series, one of the better JRPG's on the Vita.

Demon Gaze - Japanese dungeon crawler, think Etrian Odyssey. Deep and has lots of content if you like the style of game that it is.

UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'll 2nd this. I generally have zero interest in this kind of game, but have enjoyed it quite a bit while on the road and needing something to do.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Muramasa has that loot.

bigmess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By bigmess

Freedom Wars has some cool loot and crafting systems. It's just kind of a slow burn.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I would pick up Persona 4 Golden, and Soul Sacrifice if I were you. Both are rpg's with loot.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By emfromthesea

I really liked what I have played of Dragon's Crown. A very pretty game, if you can get past the ridiculous proportions.

Ford_Dent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For a second there I thought nobody suggested Persona 4 Golden and I was going to just spend some time staring in open-mouthed disbelief, but @rejizzle came through. So lemme just second that recommendation.

Also, Persona 3, even though that's just a PSP port (IT'S STILL REAL GOOD THOUGH)

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By handlas

Where's Gravity Rush?

My favorite game on the Vita by far and a game that is only on Vita. Never got the love it deserved imo... fun characters, art style, game mechanics, story. I would like a sequel.

And Tearaway is really good.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Danganronpa 1&2, OlliOlli and Luftrausers are great on Vita.

Ley_Lines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've really been enjoying Freedom Wars

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Corevi

Danganronpa 1&2 (Visual Novel), Disgaea 4 (SRPG), Muramasa Rebirth (RPG Brawler), Persona 4 Golden (JRPG).

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By GalacticPunt

I'll mostly echo what's been said: Persona 4, Persona 3, Ys: Memories of Celceta (there's also a couple of PSP Ys games up on the store)

For Monster Hunter-style fighting, looting, and crafting: Freedom Wars and Soul Sacrifice DELTA. That's the updated and expanded version of the game, so it's where the passionate little co-op community has migrated to.

JordoST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection is pretty grand, fun to play on the move.
    Peace walker is good too. uh, Persona 4 and 3.

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

You mentioned you didn't like indies but Rogue Legacy is super good on vita. If you occasionally go more traditional RPG, Final Fantasy X/X-2 are really well done and look great. If you dabble in racing games Need For Speed: Most Wanted is fun. And I also 2nd, Soul Sacrifice, Luftrausers & Persona 4.

You already mentioned remote play so I'll throw out that Diablo 3 pretty playable via remote play from your PS4 (On my home network anyway.) Definitely get a PS+ membership if you don't have one.

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I would recommend Virtue's Last Reward, which is a visual novel if you're into those. Great story and interesting puzzles in gameplay. Get this version though. DS version has corruptive save bugs if you save progress in certain places of which I am... intimately familiar with.

Also, I'll reiterate: get Persona 4 The Golden. Seriously, best game on Vita, hands down. Sales of the Vita skyrocketed when this came out. If you've already played it, play it again. This isn't just a simple port. It's got new scenes, a new dungeon, new character, new social links, new season aesthetics, new music and a new "walkin' around" theme. Definitive edition right here.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hatsune Miku

DeathTrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DeathTrap

Persona 4 Golden is definitely the best game on the system. It doesn't satisfy your request for crafting (there basically isn't any - you sell the materials you loot to a NPC and then items get added to his vendor list for you to buy), but it has a lot of loot, very deep combat, excellent characters and story.

Alternately, there is Disgaea 4: A Promise Revisited. It's a tactical RPG, in that you're moving characters around on a battle grid, and it has some very unique features. For example, the item dungeon system. You can "enter" a weapon (which basically places you into a dungeon) and the weapon will be improved based on how far you get in said dungeon. Tons of characters and items. Amusing story. No crafting, I think, though.

For crafting in a RPG, you'll have to look at the Monster Hunter clones - Soul Sacrifice Delta is really good. I never beat it, so I'm a little fuzzy on the story, but you play as a sorcerer and the loot comes in the form of spells you can equip, in addition to equipping an ultimate spell (that has a variety of interesting effects on use) and, if I remember correctly, special glyphs/gear for your character's arm.

Another Monster Hunter clone that's alright is Freedom Wars. It has a really interesting story, set in the year 102014 - you start by losing your memory, which is a crime apparently, and are sentenced to 1,000,000 of prison. You then have to fight monsters to decrease that sentence. Additionally, basically everything you do is a crime until you unlock the privilege of being able to do said action - such as lying down. Or walking near a member of the opposite gender. I haven't gotten very far, so someone else will have to enlighten you as to what the crafting is like. Combat seems fun - you get a whip-thing that lets you jump onto the large enemies and hack at places other then their ankles. The whip-thing can apparently also be used to drag the monsters to the ground. Unlike most Monster Hunter games, you aren't restricted to only one weapon (usually melee) - you can also equip more modern weapons, such as assault rifles.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Well, Persona 2:Innocent Sin is pretty much the greatest game ever. So I guess start there.

nevalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Terraria is an excellent option if you prefer a pure crafting game with some RPG elements.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Spelunkkkkkkkky.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@thebooknerd: I'm curious, what about Remote Play isn't doing it for you? I played most of Dragon Age Inquisition on Remote Play over the holiday break and it worked wonders. I even played some Guilty Gear on it and it was surprisingly doable, despite the 30fps cap. What's the gripe there?

Anyway, to your question. I don't even know what "not liking indies" means. We get independent games of all sizes and shapes these days, so it's hard to make that dismissal off-hand. I'd argue that Rogue Legacy or Binding of Isaac are just damn good games. Don't Starve is like those, but with crafting and looting and stuff.

Otherwise... well, there's Persona 4 and Gravity Rush, which you MUST play if you haven't, as many have said. There's a Disgaea or two also, which are deep, dark pits for looting and crafting. And you do know you can buy PSOne and PSP games on the Vita and run them natively, right? You have every Final Fantasy in there from 1 to X-2, including Tactics, and a bunch of other amazing PSP JRPGs and SRPJs.

hanner74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vita game recommendations, I guess...?

I'm not too big on indie stuff

Right there you have shot yourself in the foot. If you want to enjoy your Vita at all you'll have to get rid of that Indie vs AAA mentality. Just enjoy the games for being good.

TheBookNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, I should have phrased my original post differently... I had expressed an interest in the Vita for its Remote Play feature, and then someone gave it to me for Christmas. So I didn't shop around and give it deep, reflective, critical thought. It's a nice gift, and I'd like to get the most out of it.

I do use the Remote Play feature, and I enjoy it a great deal--but only in my own home. I have yet to get it to work outside of my home, anywhere. Yes, I have seen the YouTube videos, forum posts, help posts, etc. explaining how to get it to work outside the home. But it just doesn't work. So, the only time I can use Remote Play is at home...which is fine if I'm fighting someone for the television. But why not just play on the PS4 and my television? But that's beside the point...

I could apologize for my preferences and try to make everyone understand them...but I won't. I don't like brief games or games that are small in scope. I prefer high-quality production value. I like to sink hundreds of hours in to one game. Typically I play fantasy role-playing games. I have put a lot of time in to Dragon Age: Inquisition already. I also play first-person shooters (Destiny, of course) and adventure games. I don't really care for JRPGs. So there you go. I realize many people like many of those kinds of games and spend lots of hours making them. And I'm not saying that they're horrible or dumb or unjustified or Hitler. I just don't enjoy them.

I really like Rogue Legacy and Don't Starve; I've played them on other platforms and downloaded them on the Vita. I've got Minecraft on there, too. I have Persona 4 Golden and Dragon's Crown, but neither has really clicked with me...but I'll keep trying.

So there you go. Could just be a futile effort. But I do appreciate all of your input and feedback. I'll give some of these a try. Thanks.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Corevi

@thebooknerd: The Vita pretty much only has indies and Japanese games and you don't seem to be that big a fan of either. If you like adventure games though you would probably like Danganronpa and Virtues Last Reward. Danganronpa is similar to Phoenix Wright but with a much more interesting premise while Virtues Last Reward is more like a Telltale game except your choices actually matter and there's 13 completely different endings.

seemah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: yup. Get spelunky and never look back.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth is real good.

bsstephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you like adventure games, what about Grim Fandango Remastered? It is Cross-Buy with PS4 and Vita.

saispag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By saispag

You don't need actual Vita games, mine is just loaded with FF1 to FFX-2 and its still the best purchase I ever made

EDIT: +Persona 4, cause of course

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

All of the Disgaea that can enter your body. Muramasa, Persona 4 Golden. I like Project Diva F, but you know, rhythm game.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey guys! I just got a vita for my birthday so this thread has been very useful. I pretty much wanted it for Persona 3 and 4, but I'm wondering are 1 and 2 worth picking up? How do they hold up these days and will they be easy to pick up for someone that's only really played 4?

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@creepingdeath0: Can you play old games with an appreciation for the time in history in which they came from? They very much play like JRPGs from the 90s. If you can look past the parts of them that have been modernized out of today's games then they are worth picking up. They're all on sale this week I think. I still think Persona 2 Innocent Sin has the best written arc in the series.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mosespippy: Well I certainly have no problem with older JRPGS, Final Fantasy III and Dragon Quest V being my favourite entries in their respective series. I was more concerned with how their stories and story telling holds up today. Hearing you say P2 has the best written arc of the series makes me much more interested in picking it up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.