Some questions about the Vita.

#1 Posted by awesomeusername (4153 posts) -

I'm receiving my Vita manana(tomorrow) and I have a few questions.

1. Does the camera suck?
  2. Is the Twitter app good? I saw that they made an update for it but I want someones opinion on it.
  3. Is the browser any good?
  4. Do your PS3 friends sync over to the Vita or do you have to make new friends?
  5. Does it play internet videos in HD? Does YouTube work?
  6. Can you change the background with a picture or theme like on PS3?
  7. Is the PS Store accessible or does it suck?
  8. Do all your PS3 trophies sync up on it or does it only show Vita game trophies?
  9. Does it have apps like the iPod like Skype or Shazam? Or is it just video streaming apps like Crunchyroll, Netflix, etc.?

Thanks for your answers in advance.

#2 Posted by AlisterCat (5470 posts) -

You put in your PSN ID and all your friends are there. PS Store is fine.

#3 Posted by awesomeusername (4153 posts) -

@AlisterCat said:

You put in your PSN ID and all your friends are there. PS Store is fine.

Well that's good and also kind of a bummer seeming only like 2 people on my friends list have a Vita.

#4 Posted by MetalBaofu (1343 posts) -

@awesomeusername said:

Well that's good and also kind of a bummer seeming only like 2 people on my friends list have a Vita.

Feel free to add me since I wouldn't be getting the Vita at all if you didn't post about that bundle. PSN ID is DoctorBaofu. It should get here Wednesday, btw.

#5 Edited by rjayb89 (7716 posts) -
  1. N/A
  2. N/A
  3. It's fine, but because of how you're holding the Vita, your fingers are at the far end of the device so you'll end up holding it in a pretty awkward fashion to get them letters in (i.e. extending your thumbs while cramping your fingers or whatever, or if you decide to hold the Vita in one hand and type with your free hand the device is a bit heavier than what you might be used to like your phone for example). Personally, I think it's fine. You can even use it while you have a game running in the background. Useful for those times when I forget to bring my phone for whatever reason.
  4. PSN ID from your PS3 can be applied to your Vita, as mentioned in a previous post. That's how you can get PlayStation Plus working with it without having to get another subscription, which was never necessary.
  5. N/A
  6. Yes
  7. Yes, and it works out fine.
  8. You can have the Trophy app on your Vita show either just Vita game trophies or all your trophies on your PSN account at once
  9. N/A
#6 Posted by TopSteer (634 posts) -

3. I think the browser is fine, works well enough for me at least.

5. If you mean with the browser then no, most videos don't seem to work. There is a Youtube app that works great though.

6. Yes, not an overall theme but you can change the backgrounds.

8. It shows PS3 trophies as well

9. There is a Skype app

#7 Posted by rjayb89 (7716 posts) -

The colored backgrounds are due to the OS, the images were added over it by me:

#8 Posted by awesomeusername (4153 posts) -

@MetalBaofu: Good, now buy me a Vita game! :P What games are you planning on getting besides the PS+ and the games the Vita comes with. Me, you and my other Giantbomb friend could probably play PS All Stars on Vita together.

@rjayb89: @TopSteer: Thanks to both of you for answering my questions. I guess I'll be downloading the YouTube app then. Hopefully it's not the same thing as the PS3 YouTube app. That app sucks. I also know you could put your account, I just wasn't sure if it would sync all my friends or I'd have to make new Vita friends. Also good that the browser can run while I play my games. It'll make me looking up trophies easier.

#9 Posted by awesomeusername (4153 posts) -

@rjayb89: You have different photos on each page? Is Frobisher Says worth a download? Are Welcome Park, Near, and Paint Park worth looking at?

#10 Posted by rjayb89 (7716 posts) -

@awesomeusername: Frobisher Says seems to be a demo of sorts. It just has like 8 minigames on it you play over and over until it ends after 3 or so minutes. No idea what the full version is like. Welcome Park (minigame collection) and Near (kinda sorta a local activity feed) come with the system. I don't even think you can remove them. Paint Park, I just downloaded it and don't even know what it really is.

#11 Posted by awesomeusername (4153 posts) -

@rjayb89: I guess I'll look at Welcome Park and Near just out of curiosity. Thanks.

#12 Posted by TooWalrus (13130 posts) -
@awesomeusername: Hey, look for a friend request. Also, these are the backgrounds I'm using, the ones that blend in with the Persona 4 pre-order skin. (but shh, I think they're only 'supposed' to be for the people who pre-ordered). The camera kinda sucks, it's comparable to my iPod Touch 4G camera, if that's any reference point to you. I actually haven't messed around with the browser much, or the twitter and youtube apps. The PS Store interface is pretty good, though it won't show you games you can purchase on PS3 and copy over (for some reason, some PS1 games aren't directly downloadable, they have to be transferred. Like MGS.
#13 Edited by MetalBaofu (1343 posts) -

@awesomeusername said:

@MetalBaofu: Good, now buy me a Vita game! :P What games are you planning on getting besides the PS+ and the games the Vita comes with.

Persona 4: Golden. If that game didn't exist on Vita, then I might have been able to resist that bundle. And I'll probably get Virtue's Last Reward at some point....I need to play 999 first, though. I'll check out the majority of Vita games through Gamefly. I know there is some DL only stuff I want, but I can't think of them at the moment.

Edit: I thought of one of the DL only games. New Little King's Story.

#14 Posted by GooieGreen (453 posts) -

@awesomeusername:

1. Does the camera suck?

Objective tests early on have shown that it is worse than the 3DS camera, but not dramatically worse. Still, you won't be shooting HD images with it... or anything that looks good. It functions well as a means of using Augmented Reality software but this isn't the camera you're looking for. The front camera is grainier than the rear, in my experience. Either way, I've gotten some neat shots out of terrible cameras and the Vita, to that end, has given me some great ones. Word to the wise: the color balance is weird on them; it all falls flat and unsaturated.

2. Is the Twitter app good? I saw that they made an update for it but I want someones opinion on it.

Eh, I like it. It isn't super deep compared to how crazy you can get, but it certainly works well. The interface is easy enough to navigate and it doesn't lose my tweets all the time like the official iPhone app has on me (but I haven't performed objective tests to compare them, nor have I read any). Picture uploads work well and it gives you good feedback if a tweet fails to upload for whatever reason.

3. Is the browser any good?

Works fine! I haven't used it since they updated it, but it keeps a fair amount of tabbed windows saved. It does struggle with some websites that aren't formated well and it does not use Flash player (as I recall). It is pretty basic, much like the Twitter app and the cameras. Using iOS as a baseline, it is below Safari but better than the PS3 browser.

4. Do your PS3 friends sync over to the Vita or do you have to make new friends?

PSN friends are unified, as is the network (as many have pointed out). Feel free to add me (GooieGreen) and just mention GiantBomb for good measure :)

5. Does it play internet videos in HD? Does YouTube work?

I'm not sure; they look great on the screen but it is whatever YouTube's app will play (which is basically any YouTube video they have).

6. Can you change the background with a picture or theme like on PS3?

Yes. You can hold down the icons on the menu to make them dance like on iOS and there you have the option to use defaults or use ones saved to your Vita.

7. Is the PS Store accessible or does it suck?

After the last PSN Store update, I'm looking forward to a nicer interface. It works, and I've seen worse, but it looks like a mini version of the old PSN store (so it is clunky but more than usable, especially with touch controls).

8. Do all your PS3 trophies sync up on it or does it only show Vita game trophies?

Yup. PS3 users can finally see them as well.

9. Does it have apps like the iPod like Skype or Shazam? Or is it just video streaming apps like Crunchyroll, Netflix, etc.?

It has NicoNico (don't ask... just download and experience how stupid it is), Netflix, and a few others, I assume, on the way. Skype has been there for a while. I can speak more to Skype as I used it while I was in Africa with the worst internet connection I've had. It handles the calls pretty well although it does have a harder time processing video, so if you're on a really bad connection, don't bother.

#15 Posted by awesomeusername (4153 posts) -

@TooWalrus: What do you mean look for a friend request? Did you add me on PSN? I have an iPod 4 so I know how that is. It's a decent camera so that's good enough for me.

@MetalBaofu: I know nothing about those games but everyone seems to love them so I'll have to check out the demos if they have or YouTube them.

#16 Posted by awesomeusername (4153 posts) -

@GooieGreen: Well thanks for answering everything! Sounds like I'll be using it more then my iPod then. Even though I seriously can't use my iPod because the headphones broke while it was in the iPod so I have to get it fixed. But it sounds a little better then what I thought it would be. I was expecting half assed internet browser and twitter apps. I'll add you on my PS3 now and I'll be playing/messing around with my Vita when I receive it tomorrow. But thanks again!

#17 Posted by TooWalrus (13130 posts) -
@awesomeusername: Ha, yeah, I sent you a friend request on PSN (I only just got my Vita myself, I've been on it a ton).
#18 Posted by awesomeusername (4153 posts) -

@TooWalrus: I know now. I just accepted you on my PS3 although it shows you offline, on the bottom of my friends list with no last time you was signed in. Just the network being weird though. It should be fixed by the time I turn my Vita on manana. I hope it comes early because I know I'll wake up early in anticipation of it. But I paid 4 hard earned dollars (not really) for it to get here Monday. So I better get it early or I'll be angry!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.