Someone convince me to get a Vita!

#1 Edited by MrOldboy (868 posts) -

With the BF deals upcoming (best buy live already online) for the $200 vita bundles.

Yeah I like shiny new things. But I also want to play the games, specifically the Vita exclusive ones. Gravity Rush and Persona 4 Golden especially. Not to mention my #1 game played in terms of sheer hours is MLB 12 and the cross compatibility of the ps3 and vita versions is interesting.

But is $200 worth it?

Are there games upcoming that make you excited to be a Vita owner? Do you regret getting one (be honest)? Do you use it as often as you thought you would?

#2 Posted by Voxus (319 posts) -

Persona 4 is really good.

#3 Edited by TruthTellah (8529 posts) -

@MrOldboy: The more people buy a Vita, the more likely Vita owners will actually get more good games?

I don't know. It's a tough sell at the moment. The Vita still has promise; it's just... yeah...

Did you ever use a PSP? The Vita supports a ton of awesome PSP games. So, if you didn't own a PSP, a Vita is a great platform for those games. Persona 4 is good, too. So, that's something.

#4 Edited by Mcfart (1548 posts) -

@0blivion said:

Persona 4 is really good.

This. And Zero's Escape (play 999 first)

#5 Posted by Taku128 (793 posts) -

Don't buy a racing wheel Vita

#6 Edited by MrOldboy (868 posts) -

I've been trying to make a list of + and -

+Persona 4 and Gravity Rush Exclusives. I played P4 on PS2 already, but the updated version has really made me want to revisit it.

+MLB 12 cross play crap

+Huge backlog of fairly cheap PSP games

+Shiny and New!

-$200 for a platform that may not see much publisher support (even from sony) in the future

-Memory cards are a fucking scam. This is honestly the main reason I wrote it off at launch.

C'mon there's got to be something that is making Vita owners excited for the future...anything?

#7 Posted by bassman2112 (818 posts) -

Honestly, now that Playstation+ is a thing on Vita, it feels like the system is really starting to reach its stride.

I use it for Netflix, youtube, internet browsing, e-mail and other random stuff; but am also loving the hell out of Persona 4, Mortal Kombat, and Mutant Blobs! Plus, just downloaded Uncharted, Gravity Rush, and Wipeout for free with P+!

It's a great system, especially if you have already have P+/a PS3.

I'm slightly nervous about its future; but if they can sell a lot of systems this holiday, it could pull through to be something special.

#8 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

It's good, that's as much convincing I will do.

#9 Posted by MrOldboy (868 posts) -

OK. That's basically what I needed. Some confidence in Vita owners. If people posted that they regretted their purchase I would have second thoughts.

Even if this boat goes down with everyone on it at least we can be Vita apologists in 5 years.

#10 Posted by BlackLagoon (1382 posts) -

@MrOldboy said:

-$200 for a platform that may not see much publisher support (even from sony) in the future

Check out my upcoming Vita games list - Sony's definitively supporting it, both with existing franchises like Uncharted and Killzone, and new ones like Gravity Rush, Soul Sacrifice and Tearaway. They're doing a good job getting downloadable titles too.

To mention a few, I'm personally looking forward to blasting bugs in Earth Defense Force 2017, and hoping Ys: Celceta Sea of Trees makes it over. I'm really curious how Phantasy Star Online 2 for Vita does, it's been a huge success for Sega on PC and hopefully that carries over. And I want to see what happens with PlayStation Mobile - it's kinda a wild card, opening up the Vita for any developer willing to pay $99 a year. Hoping some really weird and innovative stuff comes out of it.

#11 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

Should I convince you why I think you shouldn't get one or is that counter productive?

#12 Posted by mabber36 (128 posts) -

Im going to get a vita just for persona 4, but I don't expect it to be supported past that

#13 Posted by algertman (852 posts) -

Take out your money/card, wipe your ass with it, and set it on fire.

There! It's like you just bought a Vita!

#14 Posted by mpgeist (593 posts) -

I bought a vita for persona 4. I really think its a neat little device. I wish there were more interesting games for it. I guess the bright side for me is I'll get to play a bunch of the psp games I missed out on.

#15 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1724 posts) -
@BlackLagoon said:

@MrOldboy said:

-$200 for a platform that may not see much publisher support (even from sony) in the future

Check out my upcoming Vita games list - Sony's definitively supporting it, both with existing franchises like Uncharted and Killzone, and new ones like Gravity Rush, Soul Sacrifice and Tearaway. They're doing a good job getting downloadable titles too.

To mention a few, I'm personally looking forward to blasting bugs in Earth Defense Force 2017, and hoping Ys: Celceta Sea of Trees makes it over. I'm really curious how Phantasy Star Online 2 for Vita does, it's been a huge success for Sega on PC and hopefully that carries over. And I want to see what happens with PlayStation Mobile - it's kinda a wild card, opening up the Vita for any developer willing to pay $99 a year. Hoping some really weird and innovative stuff comes out of it.

Nice response. And a useful list, thanks. 
#16 Posted by Laksa (240 posts) -

It's only $200 USD?

#17 Posted by Video_Game_King (35986 posts) -

If this doesn't do it, I don't know what will.

#18 Posted by jdbloom (18 posts) -

I love my Vita! I am finding it has more games than I can play.

I'll preface though and say I mainly play it when I'm out. At home I like my PS3.

#19 Edited by SgtSphynx (1266 posts) -
#20 Posted by pandorasbox (302 posts) -

I will have no part in this atrocity.

#21 Posted by plop1920 (448 posts) -

persona 4 is awesome and playstation+ is a great deal

#22 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Its a great PSX emulator...

I would buy one if they supported PS2 emulation.

#23 Posted by SuperTess (142 posts) -

Persona 4 Golden. Are you not convinced? Why isn't your wallet out yet?

#24 Posted by TranceQuina (149 posts) -

The battery is considerably better than I was expecting. 
At launch I got Wipeout and Hot Shots, and I find both to be pretty good installments in those series (though I'm a big fan of those so take that as you will). 
Gravity Rush plays well I think, and is now free if you've got PS+ (as is Wipeout, Uncharted, and FF Tactics: War of the Lions (awesome version of the original)).
Mortal Kombat translates splendidly; great fighter to have in your pocket. 
I'd say this is my favorite Lumines so far.
I could recommend a ton of PSP games, but I won't here.  However, they all scale up quite nicely, and don't look like shit like I was afraid they would.  Same with PS1 Classics. 
I shelled out extra for the big memory stick, but I love being able to hold 20+ games on the device without having to carry carts around with it.  
The game I'm waiting for the most right now is the Muramasa port.  I adored that game, and am looking forward to playing it with a decent controller and lots of extra content.
The biggest surprise to me:  The Netflix app works beautifully.  The quality of the video and the speed at which it loads content (at least in my case) is fucking awesome. 
 
Hope this helps!  I got mine right away and, while it's easy to nag on, I am genuinely happy with it.

#25 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5137 posts) -

It has TWO touch screens!!

#26 Posted by MrOldboy (868 posts) -

Yeah, I'm fully in on the $180 vita before anyone posted it here. Why I didn't check the thread as I was already convinced. With AC:L, Playstation all stars, and the 90 day PS+. No brainer for me.

Now I need to start looking for a mem card deal and a deal on persona 4 golden.

#27 Posted by RE_Player1 (7549 posts) -

It's not my job to convince you to buy a piece of hardware. I have nothing to gain.

#28 Posted by Laurentech (127 posts) -

If you have to be convinced to buy it, you probably shouldn't buy it. D:

#29 Edited by SpecDotSign (166 posts) -

@Bassman2112 said:

Honestly, now that Playstation+ is a thing on Vita, it feels like the system is really starting to reach its stride.

I use it for Netflix, youtube, internet browsing, e-mail and other random stuff; but am also loving the hell out of Persona 4, Mortal Kombat, and Mutant Blobs! Plus, just downloaded Uncharted, Gravity Rush, and Wipeout for free with P+!

It's a great system, especially if you have already have P+/a PS3.

I'm slightly nervous about its future; but if they can sell a lot of systems this holiday, it could pull through to be something special.

@MrOldboy:

Anything that has PS+ is worth it.

Everyone has their yes/no responses but don't forget that the Vita does have a hidden cost. Those dang memory cards. I got a launch Vita with the 8 gig card and I'm already out of space. That's without putting any PS+ stuff on it. With a good card (16-32 gb) and PS+, you're looking to spend about as much as a 3G+Wifi Vita would cost. The trade off is that you get a number of great games included. FFTactics and Gravity Rush alone are worth it.

Oh, and with the PSP legacy stuff, you basically have all the Persona games (minus one) at your downloading disposal.

#30 Posted by Village_Guy (2491 posts) -

Nope.

#31 Posted by DystopiaX (5293 posts) -

@SpecDotSign said:

@Bassman2112 said:

Honestly, now that Playstation+ is a thing on Vita, it feels like the system is really starting to reach its stride.

I use it for Netflix, youtube, internet browsing, e-mail and other random stuff; but am also loving the hell out of Persona 4, Mortal Kombat, and Mutant Blobs! Plus, just downloaded Uncharted, Gravity Rush, and Wipeout for free with P+!

It's a great system, especially if you have already have P+/a PS3.

I'm slightly nervous about its future; but if they can sell a lot of systems this holiday, it could pull through to be something special.

@MrOldboy:

Anything that has PS+ is worth it.

Everyone has their yes/no responses but don't forget that the Vita does have a hidden cost. Those dang memory cards. I got a launch Vita with the 8 gig card and I'm already out of space. That's without putting any PS+ stuff on it. With a good card (16-32 gb) and PS+, you're looking to spend about as much as a 3G+Wifi Vita would cost. The trade off is that you get a number of great games included. FFTactics and Gravity Rush alone are worth it.

Oh, and with the PSP legacy stuff, you basically have all the Persona games (minus one) at your downloading disposal.

Yeah. Honestly I would bite at the $200 dollar Vita bundle deals if I didn't had to spend all the money I was saving and more on a memory card. tbh a price drop on those would do more for me than a price drop on the actual system.

#32 Posted by musclerider (588 posts) -

Don't do this.

#33 Posted by killerklown907 (22 posts) -

I pretty much haven't touched my iPad since I got one, and persona 4 is pretty spectacular. I bit the bullet and got a 32gb stick, it is a rip off ($80 on amazon), but ps plus compensates a little bit for it with getting gravity rush and uncharted, which are still around $40 each (and like 3 gb).

#34 Posted by BluPotato (396 posts) -

The Vita is a pretty slick handheld, but then again I really dug the PSP in spite of all it's faults too. I bought one at launch and a 3ds a few months before that and I've used my Vita a while lot more.

#35 Posted by Xearo (55 posts) -

I was in the same boat earlier today, going back and forth between getting one or not. The PS+ games and having PS All Stars, gave me a built in library. So i decided to say fuck it and get one, I'm still not sure it was a great idea but I still carry my PSP with me most of the time so I'm sure I'll use it even if the future isn't super bright. The memory cards is where they kick you in the nuts.

#36 Edited by PolygonSlayer (419 posts) -

ummm... I'm playing Zero Escape at the moment, that's quite good... (but also out on the 3DS), umm.. and the screen is pretty :D Lol

Well, not a lot out on it at the moment, but I personally really like the hardware, just a shame it seems it's not going very well.

#37 Posted by Grimace (376 posts) -

I've enjoyed the time I've had with my Vita. There's no real "killer" titles on offer as yet, (my sealed copy of Persona 4 could change that notion) and Sony's perceived nonchalance towards the system is worrying. But there's still a lot to like.

  • Lumines Electric Symphony is the best version of Lumines out there
  • Rayman Origins is a quality port and looks beautiful on the Vita's screen
  • Assassins Creed Liberation, Uncharted Golden Abyss, Wipeout 2048 and Gravity Rush (a little overrated, sure) are solid titles
  • Super Stardust and now Sine Mora are great downloadable games. I'm yet to play Escape Plan, Sound Shapes or Mutant Blobs Attack but they've gotten a lot of praise
  • PS One Classics work pretty well and are appropriately priced (...if I could just figure out why they took Resident Evil 2 off the store)

Just don't be an idiot like me and pick the "Starter Kit" to have a case for it. Man, is that "case" awful in every conceivable way.

#38 Edited by Bollard (5248 posts) -

You really shouldn't buy a Vita.

#39 Posted by Salesmunn (75 posts) -

I really enjoy my Vita, I've almost completely abandoned the PS3 at this point but that's mostly because of how clumsy the XMB really is compared to the Vita OS. If I can get a game on PS3 or Vita, I'll take the Vita. The Vita allows me to browse a website for a guide and play a game at the same time, I was e-mailing screenshots to my brother yesterday of cards I found in Ragnarok Odyssey, in a matter of seconds. All without leaving my game.

With Playstation+, it's really a no-brainer for $179 or $199 with Playstation All Stars, AC3:L!

#40 Posted by DedBeet (271 posts) -

@MrOldboy said:

I've been trying to make a list of + and -

+Persona 4 and Gravity Rush Exclusives. I played P4 on PS2 already, but the updated version has really made me want to revisit it.

+MLB 12 cross play crap

+Huge backlog of fairly cheap PSP games

+Shiny and New!

-$200 for a platform that may not see much publisher support (even from sony) in the future

-Memory cards are a fucking scam. This is honestly the main reason I wrote it off at launch.

C'mon there's got to be something that is making Vita owners excited for the future...anything?

I'm excited for Soul Sacrifice, Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, Killzone: Mercenary, Dragon's Crown, Phantasy Star Only 2 (assuming it comes to U.S.), and stuff coming to PSN that I don't know about yet, as well as possible prices cuts to accessories like the memory cards as the system ages. At least for this next year, I feel like there's a lot to look forward to, especially with Plus opening up for Vita.

#41 Posted by MrOldboy (868 posts) -

Well I picked up the AC3:L vita for $180. The 3 more months of PS+, and Battle Royale was more than enough. I would have gotten it at $180 with no bonuses.

I have racked up about 1.5 years of PS+ so I'm excited that I wont have to buy that many games to keep me busy.

The mem card situation is bullshit. But I will suffer with the 4gb until I can get a deal or a price drop.

I forgot PSO 2 is coming. I really hope that comes to the US, that could be awesome if the version doesn't suck.

Next order of business is do get a copy of MLB 12 and wait for any deal on P4 (which is unlikely).

#42 Posted by DjCmeP (1148 posts) -

I feel tempted to buy one. I've gotten so many "free" games from PS+ that I feel like I should get one. Should I? I can get a used one for 175€, and a brand new one costs 200 euros.

Someone convince me to not get one!

#43 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4330 posts) -

@DjCmeP: Don't get one.

#44 Posted by DjCmeP (1148 posts) -

@Colourful_Hippie: OK. I won't. I'll at least wait for a price drop if I get one.

#45 Posted by bassman2112 (818 posts) -

@DjCmeP:

I think price is the biggest limiting factor on the system, honestly. I got in pretty early so ended up spending like 350ish (Canadian) dollars between the system, a memory card and a few games. I feel that between the original Vita games released, and the PSP/PS2/Minis backlog that the library on there is fairly substantial. I've sunk hundreds of hours into the thing, and definitely feel like I've got my money's worth.

Anyways, the short version is that the system is definitely great - it's just up to where you feel the safe price point is, as well as if you're into what's on it =)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.