Sony compares Vita rear pad to a (not real) woman with 4 boobs.

• 81 results
#51 Posted by Ramone (2967 posts) -

PSP. I have a family to feed.

#52 Posted by Threlnos (8 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

*Facepalm* Really Sony?

This!

#53 Posted by Zleunamme (666 posts) -

Sony continuing the tradition of releasing creepy ads.

#54 Posted by JJOR64 (18995 posts) -

I think I might have to buy a Vita now.

#55 Posted by EVO (3913 posts) -

Genius advertising if you ask me.

#56 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5828 posts) -

lol, I think it's a great ad.

#57 Edited by Ghost_Cat (1440 posts) -

You know, for all the shit everyone is giving the ad, I approve of it. Call it distasteful, but it accomplishes the desired message: it's elegant, wrapped in fine black material. You want to touch the front screen, but there is even more of the same on the back. All of Sony's strong ads are always weird and provocative, but they communicate exactly what they want to tell you.

#58 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

lol, they're trying the sex sells technique to attract more customers. How desperate.

#59 Edited by BlatantNinja23 (930 posts) -

@Kyreo said:

Jesus christ. Takes balls to run an advert like that though. Considering the advert series for the Sony portable stuff so far... shows they have them.

I've never really liked sony's ads, even beyond the really offensive ones. Kind of hated the whole Kevin Butler thing. But I still really love that ad. It's amazing. PSP, it's like cheese you can listen to outside.

#60 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

The advertisement is in French, so I have to assume this is France.

Seems like an advertisement that would do well there. If people are going to flip the fuck out about this advertisement, they should realize that the French.

#61 Posted by sungahymn (1011 posts) -

...Right. Uh, I'm gonna go now. I know I just got here, but...

#62 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@DeeGee said:

Boobs are super boring. This advert actively makes me want a Vita less.

=(

I respectfully disagree with your first point but ditto on the second.

#63 Posted by Brodehouse (9951 posts) -
@Salarn

@Animasta: It is creepy, but I can not decide if it's better or worse than. Both are pretty terrible.

The hysterically stupid thing about the reaction those ads, is that if they showed a white woman manhandling a black lady, we say its racist against blacks (depicts black people as weak). If it was a black woman manhandling a white lady, we'd say it's racist against blacks (depicts black people as abusive). There is no way to have an ad where a white person and a black person interact without people losing their mind.

I also think outrage at the silly four-boobs picture is just puritans going "what, sexual desire being real? Ban them!!"
#64 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

To be fair, the ad is pretty cool. Weird, but funny and memorable. The PSP white one is very cool, even if it's only because it's stylish. And yeah, i really like Sony's ads.

#65 Edited by Jaytow (694 posts) -

@Salarn said:

@Animasta: It is creepy, but I can not decide if it's better or worse than. Both are pretty terrible.

Hahaha, i've never seen this.

#66 Posted by Nilazz (613 posts) -

Can't.Handle.It!

#67 Posted by Loafsmooch (349 posts) -

That's pretty decent advertising. The world needs less sticks up the rear of humans.

#68 Posted by Pierre42 (112 posts) -

Awful looking advert, 4-boobed headless creature I expect to see in the next silent hill game.

#69 Edited by TooWalrus (13203 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

There is no way to have an ad where a white person and a black person interact without people losing their mind.

It's not that they're interacting, it's the implication that one is superior over another. You can absolutely have advertisements where whites & blacks interact without being an asshole and having people react:

#70 Posted by Brodehouse (9951 posts) -
@TooWalrus

@Brodehouse said:

There is no way to have an ad where a white person and a black person interact without people losing their mind.

It's not that they're interacting, it's the implication that one is superior over another. You can absolutely have advertisements where whites & blacks interact without being an asshole and having people react:

If the roles are reversed, people would still claim it's racially insensitive to black people. Either way you set up the roles, it's 'portraying blacks' as victims or abusers, because the mere act of including any minority group qualifies a representation of an entire social group to some people. I hate that, that just leads to tokenism.

The defense of "but it's the acts involved" is the same nonsense that said Resident Evil 5 is racist because it features a white guy shooting black people (or X modern military is racist because it's white and black troops shooting middle eastern people). It ignores established context for projected political context. Everyone wants to construct narratives where "this is what they really think!" but do you really think it's using people to symbolize the awesome new PSP, or that Sony is making a statement about race relations? Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
#71 Posted by DukesT3 (1917 posts) -

I probably won't be able to sleep. Pretty damn creepy.

#72 Posted by Salarn (465 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

The hysterically stupid thing about the reaction those ads, is that if they showed a white woman manhandling a black lady, we say its racist against blacks (depicts black people as weak). If it was a black woman manhandling a white lady, we'd say it's racist against blacks (depicts black people as abusive). There is no way to have an ad where a white person and a black person interact without people losing their mind. I also think outrage at the silly four-boobs picture is just puritans going "what, sexual desire being real? Ban them!!"

I'm not sure who the 'we' is in your statement but I'd like to not be included in that group.

#73 Posted by Brodehouse (9951 posts) -
@Salarn

@Brodehouse said:

The hysterically stupid thing about the reaction those ads, is that if they showed a white woman manhandling a black lady, we say its racist against blacks (depicts black people as weak). If it was a black woman manhandling a white lady, we'd say it's racist against blacks (depicts black people as abusive). There is no way to have an ad where a white person and a black person interact without people losing their mind. I also think outrage at the silly four-boobs picture is just puritans going "what, sexual desire being real? Ban them!!"

I'm not sure who the 'we' is in your statement but I'd like to not be included in that group.

In this case, 'we' is the whole, stupid, knee-jerk human race. I obviously wouldn't want to be included either.

The thing is, I'd agree it has Unfortunate Implications, but that doesn't cross the line into Actual Racism. The implications are kind of amusing in the "bet you didn't think of it that way, Sony" but people going "this means you guys actually hate black folk blahhhh" are whacked.
#74 Posted by TooWalrus (13203 posts) -

@Brodehouse: I wasn't arguing that people don't see racism where this is none intended. I was just arguing that what you said, "There is no way to have an ad where a white person and a black person interact without people losing their mind," isn't true.

#75 Posted by NegativeCero (3003 posts) -

Even though it's in poor taste, I still think it's clever.

#76 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Haha this is the sony I fell in love with in the 90's with their crazy ads.

#77 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

@DeeGee said:

=(

Well If they did it with a butt instead it would just look like crazy camel toe.

#78 Posted by Jimbo (9814 posts) -

Still not as bad as the chain gang of Nintendo 'reps'.

#79 Posted by Brodehouse (9951 posts) -
@TooWalrus

@Brodehouse: I wasn't arguing that people don't see racism where this is none intended. I was just arguing that what you said, "There is no way to have an ad where a white person and a black person interact without people losing their mind," isn't true.

Absolutely, sure. Perhaps i overreached in my speaking. Apologies. But in this particular case it kind of shows people looking at their own insecurities and their own political correctness rather than the context of the ad. The first thing I thought when I saw it a few years ago is "that's offensive to black people" but then I thought about if you flipped it and realized I was projecting onto it. Now that specific ad is my favourite example of knee-jerk PC reactions.
#80 Posted by awesomeusername (4187 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

@DeeGee said:

=(

As people are saying, it's French. So yeah.

#81 Posted by StarvingGamer (8251 posts) -

I imagine having four boobs would help alleviate well-endowed women of their back-problems.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.