The web-browser and its limitations.

#1 Posted by Worcanna (90 posts) -

So, ive been using my Vita a lot of late. Gravity Rush, AC:R and i just got my P4G today. With the update and all that, a lot of the worry i had is gone as im kinda happy with the console i have but il admit, the web browser is confusing me. You can't watch videos on it yet i thought it was meant to be a HTML-5 browser. Since that kinda rules out a lot of the sites id use, i kinda find it a bit useless. Im kinda throwing this out their as ive found little on this. Is this just me or does this browser kinda not do what it should do?

#2 Posted by solidejake (484 posts) -

I believe Adobe cut its portable Flash right before the Vita was released, so Vita does not have Flash, which is annoying. Even with out it, it's missing a lot from its browser, so unfortunately, I just stay off the browser.

#3 Posted by awesomeusername (4219 posts) -

What's AC: R? Also, yes. The browser kind of sucks ass. It should be able to play videos. But at least it can post and edit posts I write on Giantbomb.

#4 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

You must not use a lot of mobile browsers. They mostly suck and this one is no exception. Sony has made passing reference that they will add in HTML-5 video support at some point much like they did last year to the PS3 browser. They have upped the things performance since launch where it was nearly broken at least now it mostly functions loading up most sites.

It was a bit of a missed opportunity really but considering most people would never really use the browser anyway, since they likely have a tablet or smartphone. Also their youtube app is top notch if you want to watch some web videos.

#5 Posted by TechHits (1384 posts) -

@devilzrule27: the YT app is good, but it sucks that when you click a link off twitter or the like it opens youtube in the brower, then gives you an error.

#6 Posted by BlackLagoon (1457 posts) -

@Worcanna said:

So, ive been using my Vita a lot of late. Gravity Rush, AC:R and i just got my P4G today. With the update and all that, a lot of the worry i had is gone as im kinda happy with the console i have but il admit, the web browser is confusing me. You can't watch videos on it yet i thought it was meant to be a HTML-5 browser.

HTML5 is a lot more than just video support, and they definitively have improved compatibility with more modern sites significantly. And while video support would be nice, the recent update instead focused on another highly requested feature - letting you use the browser while you have a game open.

#7 Posted by Worcanna (90 posts) -

I know its more but still, it is part of that too. The PSP didn't exactly have a ton of features. I just keep thinking its not worth having on their.

#8 Posted by TooWalrus (13237 posts) -

The browser is a good addition to the system because it makes it easy to switch between the game and a FAQ (like the answers to the test questions in Persona), but I'd never use it for actual web browsing... the text just takes way to long to get into focused, the keyboard's not great, it's slow... though I have a smartphone, so maybe I'm spoiled?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.