Think about buying one in January,why should I?

• 84 results
#1 Posted by Solh0und (1763 posts) -

Well it's tax season in a couple of months and I was wrapping my head on what I'll buy around that time so a Playstation Vita. I know the Vita "HAZ NO GAEMS" but I could use a new portable gaming device since my PSP is falling apart(It still works, mind you). So is there any big reasons why I should pick up a Vita? Why should I get the 3G version instead of the "Just Wi-Fi" version? Any must own games I should pick up that are exclusive to the Vita?

#2 Edited by Fobwashed (1964 posts) -

I've been trying to find an excuse to pick up the system since it came out just because I tend to always pick up new tech. Unfortunately, I honestly can't come up with a good enough argument to grab one. My PSP ran like 3 games then gathered dust till I eventually sold it. Up till now, there just isn't anything on the system that I want to play enough to pick one up and on top of that, nothing yet on the horizon that interests me. I'd say if you have to ask, hold off until you know you want one for sure like me.

Or, if u just want one, fuck it. Go get it. It's your money -_-;;

edit: If you don't have a 3DS, I actually think it's the better buy right now. More worthwhile games on it currently than the Vita. At least IMO.

#3 Posted by Kombat (2205 posts) -

Persona 4: The Golden.

Uncharted

Lumines

I think that's pretty much it.

#4 Posted by Phatmac (5724 posts) -

uh.... uhhh... um.... :/ ..?

#5 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

The Vita can be used as a competent doorstop, if that sways your buying decision.

#6 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4337 posts) -
@Kombat

Persona 4: The Golden.

Uncharted

Lumines

I think that's pretty much it.

You can even pass on Uncharted because it's nothing worth writing home about.

There's no reason at all to grab a 3G version. You're not going to be downloading anything or playing online and the web browser is too shitty to bother using on or off wifi.

As someone who owns a Vita I'm not exactly sure what upcoming games are gonna be worth grabbing besides Persona 4. I only got the thing just for Lumines.
#7 Posted by Solh0und (1763 posts) -

@Fobwashed said:

If you don't have a 3DS, I actually think it's the better buy right now. More worthwhile games on it currently than the Vita. At least IMO.

That concerns me too. A few games like Code of Princess look really nice but I feel like the poor little vita is just getting it's boots in the sand.

#8 Posted by AgnosticJesus (543 posts) -

I love my Vita. There are a number of good retail games and downloadable games available. You can't go in with mindset that the game library is going to one day rival that of the PS3 or 360 because it never will. I'd have more confidence buying a 3DS because it is profitable for Nintendo and you know they will continue to support it. Of course my opinion of the Vita could be a little skewed because I received it as a gift at release. I'd probably be pretty pissed had I dropped $250/300 of my own money on it.

#9 Posted by Sanity (1896 posts) -

@Solh0und said:

@Fobwashed said:

If you don't have a 3DS, I actually think it's the better buy right now. More worthwhile games on it currently than the Vita. At least IMO.

That concerns me too. A few games like Code of Princess look really nice but I feel like the poor little vita is just getting it's boots in the sand.

Yea, i know what yea mean but i still think a 3DS is a better option, lots of good stuff out there and more coming, i just feel like the vita still lacks a hallmark game.

#10 Posted by xyzygy (9935 posts) -

Honestly just get a 3DS if you don't have one. It's library is growing much faster and has some really great games announced for it. The Vita is struggling like no console I've seen before. If it keeps up the pace it's been on for the past year I won't be surprised if developers abandon it in 1.5-2 years.

#11 Posted by Solh0und (1763 posts) -

I COULD just buy both 3DS and Vita if My refund is higher than expected and just buy 2 games on both.

#12 Posted by Fobwashed (1964 posts) -

@dudy80 said:

@Solh0und said:

@Fobwashed said:

Yea, i know what yea mean but i still think a 3DS is a better option, lots of good stuff out there and more coming, i just feel like the vita still lacks a hallmark game.

I picked up, "beat" then resold Code Princess in a very short time span. The game is genuinely funny but it's by far too simple a beat em up and having a large array of characters you can use doesn't amount to much when every single character has only like 3 moves and one combo. It's basically a giant grind. Unfortunate because I picked it up thinking it'd be a new Guardian Heroes but then, thinking about it, even Guardian Heroes prolly wouldn't stand up to what players expect out of a game these days.

Besides that, I'm starting to use the E-Shop to get full retail games and it's nice not having to carry around any extra cartridges or swap em out to play Mario Kart and Professor Layton. The 3DS also has a pretty large back catalog of DS games that are still worth playing if you missed out on the DS. I recommend you get the XL if you do go 3DS. That extra screen space is really nice.

#13 Posted by Solh0und (1763 posts) -

@Fobwashed said:

@dudy80 said:

@Solh0und said:

@Fobwashed said:

I picked up, "beat" then resold Code Princess in a very short time span. The game is genuinely funny but it's by far too simple a beat em up and having a large array of characters you can use doesn't amount to much when every single character has only like 3 moves and one combo. It's basically a giant grind. Unfortunate because I picked it up thinking it'd be a new Guardian Heroes but then, thinking about it, even Guardian Heroes prolly wouldn't stand up to what players expect out of a game these days.

Besides that, I'm starting to use the E-Shop to get full retail games and it's nice not having to carry around any extra cartridges or swap em out to play Mario Kart and Professor Layton. The 3DS also has a pretty large back catalog of DS games that are still worth playing if you missed out on the DS. I recommend you get the XL if you do go 3DS. That extra screen space is really nice.

Tragic. I would've loved it if it had way more depth.

I would totally pick up a 3DS for MK7 though. I just don't like the whole " I need to buy a second analog stick" for 1 or 2 games that would use it. After all, RE: Revelations seems neat.

#14 Posted by GooieGreen (453 posts) -

Persona 4: The Golden is a good reason, for sure. Disgaea 3 is also a great choice if you're up for that kind of game. Zero Escape is a game you can get on either 3DS or Vita, but given you have neither, it is still a game [?] to consider.

As exclusive games go, download Tales from Space: When Mutant Blobs Attack. It is a short game but it only will set you back $8 or so. Super Stardust is more "Stardust", but that isn't at all a bad thing if you ask me. There are a few downloadable games that have come out that are more indie titles if anything else (puzzle platformers and the like), so this idea hitches on the "owning a memory card" argument. Ragnarok Odyssey, despite what IGN said about it, is a good game. Same can be said of Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation; good, not great, needs some work but totally playable.

You really don't have a reason to get a 3G model unless the price is the same or better. It doesn't hurt to have it; it will at least give you an option in case a game comes out there really utilizes the feature more than near updates or asynchronous multiplayer.

If I had to be as objective as possible, there really isn't a given reason to own a Vita. There are plenty of games you can get on PS3 that play like or exactly are the current Vita games, and aside from a handful of games, most of them are just "good" or subpar. The lineup isn't all that big still, but development seems to be moving forward, and with it I hope developers get better at making these games for the new platform.

#15 Posted by Solh0und (1763 posts) -

@GooieGreen said:

Persona 4: The Golden is a good reason, for sure. Disgaea 3 is also a great choice if you're up for that kind of game. Zero Escape is a game you can get on either 3DS or Vita, but given you have neither, it is still a game [?] to consider.

As exclusive games go, download Tales from Space: When Mutant Blobs Attack. It is a short game but it only will set you back $8 or so. Super Stardust is more "Stardust", but that isn't at all a bad thing if you ask me. There are a few downloadable games that have come out that are more indie titles if anything else (puzzle platformers and the like), so this idea hitches on the "owning a memory card" argument. Ragnarok Odyssey, despite what IGN said about it, is a good game. Same can be said of Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation; good, not great, needs some work but totally playable.

You really don't have a reason to get a 3G model unless the price is the same or better. It doesn't hurt to have it; it will at least give you an option in case a game comes out there really utilizes the feature more than near updates or asynchronous multiplayer.

If I had to be as objective as possible, there really isn't a given reason to own a Vita. There are plenty of games you can get on PS3 that play like or exactly are the current Vita games, and aside from a handful of games, most of them are just "good" or subpar. The lineup isn't all that big still, but development seems to be moving forward, and with it I hope developers get better at making these games for the new platform.

Here's a good question: How big is the average vita game digitally?

#16 Posted by BlackLagoon (1403 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

Honestly just get a 3DS if you don't have one. It's library is growing much faster and has some really great games announced for it.

...except that it isn't? There's consistently been more Vita releases than 3DS ones in the US for weeks now, and the Vita has 50+ games announced at the moment (not counting PS Mobile titles). In terms of downloadable titles in particular the Vita is just running circles around the 3DS, and that shows no sign of stopping.

#17 Posted by Hilbert (349 posts) -

I use mine to watch Star Trek episodes in bed before going to sleep..

#18 Posted by DystopiaX (5297 posts) -

P3P and Persona 4 the golden are the only reasons I consider buying one...I tried one in stores and it's a very nice, very beautiful piece of hardware but I can't justify buying it at that price when there's less than 5 games I'd ever consider playing on it.

#19 Posted by Cameron (596 posts) -

I'd hold off until there is some evidence that developers are going to keep supporting the Vita. I'm sure sales numbers aren't great, and that will make developers cautious about putting too much into a Vita exclusive. It's downright sad that a system that has been out for almost a year still doesn't have any must have games. Persona 4 seems to be a common suggestion, but I can already play most of that on a system I've owned for years. It's getting to the point where I don't even know if a price drop would help much, I don't want a $150 paperweight any more than I want a $250 paperweight.

#20 Posted by Hunkulese (2694 posts) -

Get a 3DS in January and wait for the inevitable vita price drop.

#21 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -

These are the games I own for it:

• Gravity Rush
  • Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
  • Persona 4 Golden (*Meaning I will own this by January)
  • Assassin's Creed III: Liberation
  • WipEout 2048
  • Super Stardust Delta
  • Motorstorm RC

If you didn't have a PSP, you could also get access to all of them you missed. Those I own for the Vita:

• Persona
  • SMT: Persona 2: Innocent Sin
  • Persona 3 Portable
  • Half-Minute Hero
  • Corpse Party
  • Riviera: The Promised Land

Looking at the 3DS, there aren't as many games that I think I would go far, although I'm planning to get an XL sooner than later. For now, I'd go:

• Super Mario 3D Land
  • Paper Mario: Sticker Star
  • Kid Icarus Uprising
  • Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward

Then there's also all of the DS games you'd have access to if you didn't own one before. Although, they're not available digitally like the Vita's PSP games.

To me, everything revolves around the software. So you need to base your decision around the games.

#22 Posted by GooieGreen (453 posts) -

@Solh0und: It ranges oddly. I'd say on average for retail/digital releases, I've seen 1.7GBs to 3+GBs (think Uncharted and Assassin's Creed). I have a fair amount of digital games on my 32GB card, but most are around or under a gig (save for Metal Gear Solid collection). Also keep in mind that the 32GB card translates to 29GBs. In addition, I hear you can only have ten pages of icons, which hold about 10 applications each (and some apps cannot be deleted because they are tied to the system).

So there are some hard limits, but you'd have to really want to buy everything and load that baby up to hit them with the max-size memory card. I thought I could go all digital, but that doesn't seem realistic for my needs. Big releases should be bought at retail unless you REALLY want it saved to your system, IMO. Thankfully there are some good cases that let you carry a fair amount of games with you, so there are always options for that.

#23 Posted by Palmlykta (211 posts) -

Being a fan of Tenchu, I picked ip Shinobido 2 which I did enjoy. But other than that and the MGS collection... Yeah. Dragons Crown seems pretty neat, but I guess they'll release that on PS3 too, personally I prefer gaming on portable devices though so Ill probably buy that when its released.

#24 Posted by awesomeusername (4168 posts) -
#25 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

@Solh0und said:

Here's a good question: How big is the average vita game digitally?

Most retail games weigh between one and three gigs, LBP and Ragnarok Odyssey are 1.1GB while the MGS HD Collection, Uncharted and Mortal Kombat are about 3. Tales from Space is less than 200 megs.

#26 Posted by kerse (2110 posts) -

Can you play psn games like ps1 and 2 games on the vita? I really want p4 golden and access to my own games would push me over cause I would rather play some those on a handheld, the big screen doesn't do some of those games any favors.

#27 Posted by TooWalrus (13155 posts) -

There are a lot of PSP and PS1 gamea I haven't played, and apparantly they look really great on that screen, so that's one of the main things I'll be using mine for when I buy it this november. Unfortunately the network missing some very important games, but a lot of good ones are up there.

#28 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

I'm happy with my Vita. Collecting trophies while comfortably lying in bed is priceless :D

#29 Posted by BlackLagoon (1403 posts) -

@kerse said:

Can you play psn games like ps1 and 2 games on the vita?

PS2 games won't work, but most PSOne, PSP and Minis will.

#30 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

I'm thinking of getting one just for Persona 4, there isn't much else that is making me want one.

#31 Posted by GooieGreen (453 posts) -

@BlackLagoon said:

@kerse said:

While they aren't really chatty about it, the potential for PS2 games to run on Vita is certainly there. It comes down to development costs... so maybe one day? *pipedream*

PS1, PSP, and Minis are being updated every now and then to work with the Vita, and games releasing now are usually compatible with Vita at launch. I wish I could answer in a binary, yes-no response but it is still the wild west of backwards compatibility.

#32 Posted by kerse (2110 posts) -
@BlackLagoon

@kerse said:

That kinda sucks, Any idea if that's something that will be added or just no. I like p3 fes but I don't know if I'll like p3p cause I like the walking around stuff.
#33 Posted by BlackLagoon (1403 posts) -

@kerse said:

That kinda sucks, Any idea if that's something that will be added or just no. I like p3 fes but I don't know if I'll like p3p cause I like the walking around stuff.

Back when the Vita launched, they said there were no plans to make PS2 titles available on the Vita. Plans can of course change, but the PS2 was a tricky beast, and they're still having problems getting everything to run on the PS3 emulator.

Rather than emulate them though, Sony's purchase of streaming company Gaikai means I wouldn't be surprised if the Vita gets the ability to play streamed versions of everything you own on PSN some time down the road...

#34 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

Honestly just get a 3DS if you don't have one. It's library is growing much faster and has some really great games announced for it. The Vita is struggling like no console I've seen before. If it keeps up the pace it's been on for the past year I won't be surprised if developers abandon it in 1.5-2 years.

The 3DS had a way shitter launch year than the Vita did though. I'd say Persona 4 The Golden is better than anything out on 3DS too.

#35 Posted by hughesman (312 posts) -

Little Big Planet vita is the best lbp game out. If your into that.

#36 Posted by niamahai (1405 posts) -

I just bought one and I don't how I feel.

#37 Posted by cosi83 (393 posts) -

Eh...the Japanese games?

#38 Posted by Sayishere (1840 posts) -

In the same boat, literally no reason to buy the Vita, the only reason right now is Persona 4 Golden. If the game was a actual new new instead of a port, i probably would be tempted.

The 3DS is a great pickup right now tbh, many games to play on it, i was one of those who got it on launch, kinda regret it, but now? perfect time.

#39 Posted by jebara (64 posts) -

I was interested just for Persona 4 Golden, but my bro got a Vita and since he bought it, it has been gathering dust.

May borrow it just for that game, because after I'm done with it it will probably gather dust again.

#40 Posted by adam1808 (1425 posts) -

It's a dead platform to all intents and purposes. Unless Sony really pull their finger out early next year then a price drop won't be enough to save that platform.

#41 Posted by BlackLagoon (1403 posts) -

@adam1808 said:

It's a dead platform to all intents and purposes. Unless Sony really pull their finger out early next year then a price drop won't be enough to save that platform.

If by "dead" you mean has 50+ upcoming games, new features coming (PS Mobile, PS Plus), TV ad campaigns, etc....

#42 Posted by RedCream (704 posts) -

Persona 4 Golden

#43 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

The Vita can be used as a competent doorstop, if that sways your buying decision.

#44 Edited by adam1808 (1425 posts) -

@BlackLagoon said:

@adam1808 said:

If by "dead" you mean has 50+ upcoming games, new features coming (PS Mobile, PS Plus), TV ad campaigns, etc....

How about I put it this way: I don't have a 360 but even this late in the console cycle I want to buy a 360 for all the fantastic games exclusive to it, both downloadable and retail. The Vita is new this year and nothing on that there list of yours inspires anything more than indifference, most of them are remakes or ports of games already out. There's nothing on that system, upcoming or otherwise that justifies a purchase for me and I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way, which is why the sales are dreadful.

#45 Posted by Solh0und (1763 posts) -

Alright Guise, I'll buy a vita. I played enough of the Kiosk demos(again) to go " Man, the Vita would be a nice purchase".

#46 Edited by Amakakeruhiruyunohirameki (63 posts) -

Well on my part I'll stick with PSVITA why?

In 3DS there no God of War, Devil May Cry and Metal Gear Solid. These are my favorite RTS games with full action pack. They didn't release Devil May Cry on PSP but I read in some forum that they will release Devil May Cry on Vita next year. My current games on Vita are Little Big Planet, Dokuro, Uncharted, Street Fighter VS Tekken and Ragnarok Odyssey then Persona 4 Golden Edition, COD Blackops and PSBAR will set to be release this November. So It's worth playing PSVITA and hoping for more release next year. ^_^

#47 Posted by _Chad (962 posts) -

Persona 4 Golden. Is all I can think of, that's the reason I got one. Also I had never played P3P so I bought that and I love that game.

#48 Posted by Solh0und (1763 posts) -

So Persona 4G is the must have Vita game huh? No thoughts on a must have PSN Vita title? I'm aware of sound shapes and such.

#49 Posted by BlackLagoon (1403 posts) -
#50 Posted by AltonBrown (949 posts) -

@BlackLagoon: Just about to mention Zero Escape. Best thing on the platform (at least until P4G comes out).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.