Think about buying one in January,why should I?

• 84 results
#51 Posted by Amakakeruhiruyunohirameki (63 posts) -

Currently I have Dokuro, Street Fighter Vs Tekken and Ragnarok Odyssey on my Vita. I might grab P4G soon ^_^

#52 Edited by Psykhophear (939 posts) -
#53 Posted by Geralt (318 posts) -

I'm getting one too because I'm crazy and so should you.

In all seriousness, Final Fantasy X and Ken Levine's Bioshock on Vita in the far-flung future!

What color do you have in mind? I'm thinking red...

#54 Posted by Elazul (1327 posts) -

As someone who bought a Vita at launch, all I can say is NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I literally haven't touched the thing in months, and am honestly unsure if I ever will again.

If you absolutely MUST have one, wait for both a price drop and for some good games to come to it that aren't either ports or available on another console. As of now, pretty much the only thing I can think of that falls into that category is Lumines.

#55 Posted by egg (1455 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

If you didn't have a PSP, you could also get access to all of them you missed.

Not all PSP titles are available digitally and even those that are may not be Vita compatible.

I know I've been beating this horse since PSP Go but I won't stop. ^_^

#56 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

@cosi83 said:

Eh...the Japanese games?

Isn't the Vita region locked? I almost bought one the other day cause it was on sale for 1500 NOK on CDon, but then I realized the only game I REALLY want for it is P4: Golden and apparently that doesn't come out here until Feburary, so fuck you Sony. Encourage Atlus to do some damn worldwide releases and you'll have more sales!

Almost bought a 3DS XL instead, cause they had that on sale as well, but then I thought the better of it when I looked at my stack of backlogged PS3 and 360 games as well as my dusty DS Lite which still has my unifinished copy of Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story in it. I gotta at least finish that before I buy a goddamn new handheld. But I'm jonesin' to just buy some new hardware! I probably won't buy a Wii U until Bayonetta 2 comes out, but if the launch line-up wasn't so dire I'd try snapping one up a lot faster.

I ended up just buying a new hard drive for my computer :/

#57 Posted by BlackLagoon (1409 posts) -

@TeflonBilly said:

Isn't the Vita region locked?

Like with the PS3, DLC and online passes are, but the actual games are not. My imported copy of Virtue's Last Reward plays just fine.

#58 Posted by Alexandru (301 posts) -

@Sooty: I played it 3 years ago...

#59 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19329 posts) -

@egg said:

Not all PSP titles are available digitally and even those that are may not be Vita compatible.

Most of them are. At least the ones that matter.

#60 Posted by BlackLagoon (1409 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@egg said:

New PSP titles (there are a few of them still coming) are also generally Vita compatible, and of course, PSP games also look and play better on the Vita. Being able to map camera control to the right stick very convenient, as is mapping the X button to the touchscreen for text heavy games.

#61 Posted by kagato (911 posts) -

I cant recommend the PSV to anyone, ive been so close to buying one a dozen times and just taking a look at the games in the stores selling them has been enough to push me towards a different purpose. There are good games but like the PSP you might get a dozen essential games in its entire life span, the 3DS on the other hand has some fantastic titles so if you are thinking about one of them instead id say go for that.

If you have the option to buy both and get at least 2 games for each do that instead, but stay away from the 3G model, its pretty much worthless.

#62 Edited by Solh0und (1765 posts) -

Oh! Target is selling a Wi-Fi vita with Lego Batman 2 for $199 on Black Friday. If only I had the monies to get it.

By the way, @BlackLagoon: You didn't have Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD to your list. That's still a thing coming right?

Is the Vita interface pretty customizable? Other than changing the wallpaper?

#63 Posted by BlackLagoon (1409 posts) -

@Solh0und: Monster Hunter Portable 3rd is a PSP game, with the HD version being an upscaled port for the PS3. Neither are likely to be released outside of Japan, and no new Monster Hunter game has so far been announced for the Vita. It you want you MH fix on it, you'll either have to settle for upscaled Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, or one of the similar games like Ragnarok Odyssey, God Eater 2 or Soul Sacrifice.

As for the interface, you can move the program bubbles around, and have different wallpapers on the different screens. Not really messed around with it much though.

#64 Posted by egg (1455 posts) -

@BlackLagoon said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@egg said:

New PSP titles (there are a few of them still coming) are also generally Vita compatible, and of course, PSP games also look and play better on the Vita. Being able to map camera control to the right stick very convenient, as is mapping the X button to the touchscreen for text heavy games.

I don't seem to recall hearing you can map things to touchscreen. That's pretty impressive. I remember being disappointed by the limitations. (no start/select to ministick, for instance) But touchscreen? For the record what is everything you can do in terms of remapping controls?

#65 Posted by BlackLagoon (1409 posts) -

@egg: The mapping options for the PSP emulator were expanded with a firmware update a while back. Right stick can be mapped to analog nub, full d-pad, d-pad (only up/down), d-pad (only left/right), face buttons, L/R, or Select/Start. The four corners of the touchscreen can separately be assigned to a d-pad direction, a face button, Select, or Start.

#66 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

The touchscreen mapping is pretty neat, sadly they didn't incorporate it into the PS1 emulation.

#67 Posted by BlackLagoon (1409 posts) -

@ervonymous: Yet, anyway. I would imagine they'll add more features to the PSOne emulator in the future, as they did with the PSP one.

#68 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@kagato said:

I cant recommend the PSV to anyone, ive been so close to buying one a dozen times and just taking a look at the games in the stores selling them has been enough to push me towards a different purpose. There are good games but like the PSP you might get a dozen essential games in its entire life span, the 3DS on the other hand has some fantastic titles so if you are thinking about one of them instead id say go for that.

If you have the option to buy both and get at least 2 games for each do that instead, but stay away from the 3G model, its pretty much worthless.

The 3DS really is not swimming in good software. 3D Land, Mario Kart, Devil Survivor 2, Pushmo, Ocarina of Time (I didn't like it) ...I can't think of anything else. Persona 4 Golden > those.

and the Vita is a year younger than the 3DS. Why do people forget that the Vita isn't that old? 3DS had a worse launch than the Vita and a horrible 8 or so months.

If Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 controlled better on the Vita I would be all over that.

edit:

fuck I want a Vita.

#69 Posted by Jaytow (694 posts) -

no.

#70 Posted by Fattony12000 (7307 posts) -
#71 Posted by ahgunsillyo (448 posts) -

@Solh0und: Best Buy also has that same deal, except for the Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified bundle, if that's sounds more interesting to you. I heard that the Vita version of Lego Batman 2 is a bit stripped down and inferior to the console versions (it's lacking the open-world city, which makes up a lot of the post-game extra content).

As far as the reasons for buying a Vita go, I'd say that there are and have been a handful of indie games that are coming out like Sound Shapes, Retro City Rampage, and the upcoming Guacamelee that seem worthwhile, especially if you also have a PS3 (the first two are part of the CrossPlay bundle deals, while the second has controller functionality with the Vita screen acting as a map... I'm not sure if it'll have CrossPlay functionality as well, but I hope so).

I think the CrossPlay bundles are a pretty interesting deal if you're interested in the games that have that, like said indie games and other titles like Playstation All-Stars: Battle Royale. It's basically a novelty, but if you were thinking of picking up those games, that's an added value there.

Like a lot of people already said, there's a good handful of promising games coming out in the near future, as well as PSP games that you might not have had the chance to pick up (I recommend Ultimate Ghosts 'N' Goblins).

And I agree; I don't see a reason to buy the 3G bundle, especially if you have to pay for a data plan. You'd probably be better off just buying an extra game or a larger memory card (the latter will probably be more beneficial in the long-run if you plan on buying a bunch of digital releases on PSN).

#72 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

There is absolutely no reason anyone anywhere should ever buy a vita ever.

If you're totally set on it, there's no reason to buy it now. Just wait until it has a dozen quality exclusives (if that ever happens), and by that time the price will have dropped.

#73 Posted by GooieGreen (454 posts) -

@DoctorWelch: Do you own a Vita?

#74 Edited by egg (1455 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@egg said:

no Crisis Core, Kingdom Hearts, Megaman Powered Up, Juiced Eliminator, Test Drive Unlimited, Ace Combat X...

#75 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19329 posts) -

@egg: Guess I should have said PSP games "that matter to me", because I've bought several PSP games through the Vita. Sure, there are some exceptions like the ones you've listed, but most PSP games are compatible with the Vita and if one didn't own a PSP it's still a chance for them to own the ones they'd be interested in.

#76 Posted by Amakakeruhiruyunohirameki (63 posts) -

@BlackLagoon said:

@Solh0und: Monster Hunter Portable 3rd is a PSP game, with the HD version being an upscaled port for the PS3. Neither are likely to be released outside of Japan, and no new Monster Hunter game has so far been announced for the Vita. It you want you MH fix on it, you'll either have to settle for upscaled Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, or one of the similar games like Ragnarok Odyssey, God Eater 2 or Soul Sacrifice.

As for the interface, you can move the program bubbles around, and have different wallpapers on the different screens. Not really messed around with it much though.

Agreed, if you want to experience a combination of Phantasy Star and Monster Hunter. Ragnarok Odyssey would be the best pick for 3D looking graphics. Then if you like Anime style game try God Eater 2.

#77 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Get a Galaxy S3. I didn't think phones could actually substitute for handheld consoles until I got an S3... holy shit not only is it a superb phone, badass camera and a storage device, but the games on it are INSANELY goodlooking and polished. Dat big ass screen.

#78 Edited by Solh0und (1765 posts) -
@AhmadMetallic: I see what you did thar. I would BUT my phone upgrade isn't until July.
#79 Posted by GooieGreen (454 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

Get a Galaxy S3. I didn't think phones could actually substitute for handheld consoles until I got an S3... holy shit not only is it a superb phone, badass camera and a storage device, but the games on it are INSANELY goodlooking and polished. Dat big ass screen.

It all really depends on what kind of game you're looking for. Touch gaming is obviously better on a modern tablet or phone as there is more to be had. The Vita and 3DS are still better gaming platforms insofar as they retain physical, more precise controls that are better for the majority of games out there. There is also an extensive backlog of critically acclaimed games from generations before it.

For the money, I wouldn't doubt a phone is a great substitute that is always with you. But dedicated gaming devices still do it best but they tend to fail as the rounded experience they are moving toward (i.e. music players, browsers).

#80 Posted by FCDRandy (219 posts) -

I bought a 3G Vita because although there's no reason to have that version now, there might be in the future. Also I use it as a PSX and Need For Speed machine, currently.

#81 Posted by Solh0und (1765 posts) -

I can disable the rear touch in most Vita games,right? It seems Jeff really hates that feature.

#82 Posted by GooieGreen (454 posts) -

@Solh0und: Depends on the game. Disgaea 3 is a good example of a game that lets you disable touch controls, but some games need those screens for button replacement. Inevitably, you will touch the back of the screen because it is a natural resting spot for your fingers, but thankfully a lot of games don't use it (and if they do, it isn't a critical function that would impact gameplay greatly).

#83 Posted by Amakakeruhiruyunohirameki (63 posts) -

@Solh0und: Yes I think there another way to disable rear touch but I always used it while playing Dokuro when transforming into a hero lol

#84 Posted by Solh0und (1765 posts) -

Now I've got a bigger incentive to buy a Vita now. Sony just revealed the PS+ plans for the Vita and it looks pretty exciting.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.