Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

Thinking about getting a Vita, no PS4, worth it?

ALavaPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ALavaPenguin

With the various deals on the Playstation Vita everywhere, I have been kinda considering buying one. Honestly I am not too interested in the Xbox One or PS4 Yet, I will eventually get both but my PC is kinda doing everything for me right now as far as that goes, so I prob won't for 6 months or more bother with those.

But I am just thinking about a Vita..... I have been hearing people talk on the various podcasts and such about it, and how great it really is [I think Alex for example did and such] but it lacks a bit of a library, and the terrible memory card issue being overpriced. I have a few questions about it all.

First and foremost, do you recommend one? I already have a 3DS but I feel I could do with a bit more mobile gameplay. Is the list of games really THAT bad? Or could I get a fair shake of games that would keep me going every so often when I would want to play somewhere else.

Do I need PSPlus to enjoy this to it's full extent? [What does it cost also lol?]. In addition, I am seeing two models, the 3G one, and the Wifi one, I can't imagine really needing the 3G and I am aware that would have a data plan, so I would likely not care or want that one, but do you all recommend any of that? Even if I will likely not ever use the data plan on it, should I get a 3G one just in case, or is it really not worth it? I highly doubt I would ever need the online beyond wifi overall.

Also, I will eventually get a PS4 [still undecided if I will get an xbox one or that first though], but it will be a long time until I get one maybe even a year, is it still valuable even if I dont' have one? Or is it really only worth getting a Vita for the PS4 functionality?

Thanks and any other advice... one tidbit about me, I once bought a PSP GO shockingly, yes they did exist XD!

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't get the 3G one. In my opinion you should really get PSPlus if you want to get everything out of the device. The deals every month are a great selling point. It's also a great handheld for old ps1 and ps2 games. Beyond that Persona 4 Golden and Tearaway are worth owning. If those benefits entice you then go for it. If not don't. If you do, definitely get a large memory card if you plan on doing any downloading.

I have a 3DS and no ps4 as well, and I barely use the thing. Honestly I only use it to play Persona 4 Golden when I need to scratch that itch. But that's just me. I found that to be worth it because I'm a die hard persona fan and absolutely needed the new version and content. I don't have a memory card big enough to take advantage of all the great downloadables, so I'm just kind of putting that off for now. I imagine if I ever dish out the cash for a larger one I'll use it a lot more given all of the good stuff on the digital store.

ALavaPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ALavaPenguin

Ok, if I did get one, what size memory card do you think would be a good idea?

http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Dead-Vita-Bundle-PlayStation/dp/B00G9AYVTG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1388098618&sr=8-2&keywords=playstation+vita

This seems to be the best deal I can find with very minor glances, I think that is the 3G version too it seems to indicate, is that game any good on the vita, I never played it on the other stuff before.

Update: Hmm I would say there are quite a few games on there I would be interested in. A few of those I have or have played on other platforms, but I would say there are enough games there to make me happy. I never played Lumines even on the PSP and was always interested too. I think I will go for it. I think 16 gig memory card is what I would have to get though, as I am no way paying near 90 bucks for a 32 gig one LOL

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@alavapenguin: From what I know the Vita version of TWD is fine. It's not exactly a demanding game controls-wise.

For the memory card, I suppose it depend on how much data-management you want to do, and how good you are about clearing games and not going back to them. I have a tendency to dabble with a lot of different games on handhelds so my 32 GB card is almost full of half-beaten games. For the average person I'd say maybe 16 GB and if you're really diligent about finishing stuff then maybe 8 GB.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I think the vita version of the Walking Dead had a few framerate problems like the console versions, but seems to be a good version.

Right now gamestop is having a sale on Vita memory cards, you can grab a 16gb card for $20 or a 32gb card for $50.. I have am 8gb card and its a bit small but i think a 16gb card should be pretty good for fitting a decent amount of stuff on.

ALavaPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ALavaPenguin

Oh nice call on the gamestop cards, yeah I see they are cheaper a bit! They only have the 16 gb ones available online right now anyway, and I think that is enough for me, I don't plan on mass buying games, just a few here and there. Thanks!

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

It's an amazing port system. It sounds like you don't have a PS3, so a lot of the crossbuy games should be new to you.

ALavaPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ALavaPenguin

@recspec said:

It's an amazing port system. It sounds like you don't have a PS3, so a lot of the crossbuy games should be new to you.

I do but it is sitting in my closet and has been for over a year LOL. I never played it enough so I am sure I missed a lot.

Honestly I played two killzone games on it, MAG, and FF13 in it's entire lifetime XD more than likely. Also those are not even representative of my normal game interests.

Final update: thanks to your help guys I ordered it! Got the walking dead one, a one year ps plus card, and the 20 dollar 16 gig card from gamestop. I will worry about getting games once I get the system haha [should be saturday!]

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I've enjoy my Vita quite a bit. StarvingGamer offers a great starting point.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Yes absolutely, I got mine on black friday and love it. The screen is gorgeous, the UI is nice, having all your games there (if you go digital ) is great, the suspend feature works perfectly, if you get PS Plus you some great stuff and it just has a great line up of games in my opinion.

I agree with all of these and to add to list:

As for coming soon:

There are some I forget but also just a lot of small but great indie games that work great on a handheld, PSP/PS1 games and just plenty of multiplatform games that I find I'd rather be able to play in bed, on the couch or when I'm out and have some down time.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Just purchased a Vita myself. Don't own, or plan to own anytime soon, a PS4.

For me, it's all about the staggering back catalog of Playstation 1 games. Tearaway is fantastic, Soul Sacrifice is a ton of fun, the Injustice port is arguably the best version of the game, but playing quick slices of Legend of Dragoon or Dino Crisis 2 on the go is an experience that justifies the purchase outright.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

People like to bitch and moan but the Vita has a fantastic library. Not having a PS4 should be a non issue. Being able to play PS4 games on a Vita is kind of neat but under normal circumstances you won't want to and it's really not a reason to purchase or not purchases Vita.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Persona 4 Golden.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@jjor64 said:

Persona 4 Golden.

Yeah, having beaten the PS2 game twice, I'm really enjoying the amount of new content in the game. While the story is exactly the same, they added a TON of side things, and did a lot of changes that make the game a lot more fun, though it does make it easier. It's the first time I'm playing it on hard mode, and so far I'm just having a blast.

Gravity Rush is also fantastic - being able to fling yourself around and do a bunch of awesome ninja-like tricks and stuff is such a thrilling thing. I also really like the art style in this game and how the cut-scenes progress, and I've liked every character to appear so far.

I also bought Virtue's Last Reward, since my 3DS version got a data corruption. While I was 10 hours into the 3DS version, and it sucks to have to redo it all, I'm just glad I'm getting a version of the game where I won't have to worry about that shit.

Gonna have to save this thread though for the other excellent suggestions.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.