Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

Thinking about trading my 3DS and getting a Vita.

Swiftopian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

So I've been thinking for a while about trading in my 3DS for a Vita. I loved my 3DS at first. Games like Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 are great games, but I've already finished them. I liked some downloaded indie games like Mutant Mudds. For some reason though I just haven't been able to get into the critically games from this year, such as Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing. I'm not saying they're bad games but I just don't think they are for me. Do you guys think that Vita is worth it? Are there any 3DS games that I'm missing out on that I should be playing?

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

The vita looks like it has its second wind. They are great games to play on a vita. Soul Sacrifice,Muramasa Rebirth, P4G and If Borderlands 2 can come on vita many more AAA might make its way on the vita.

yourbuddyjeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By yourbuddyjeff

do it the vita is so good the games are quality I love mine I had the 3ds and I wound up going to the vita.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By oldenglishc

Just put it off until you save up the extra 60 bucks, or whatever ridiculous amount they'll give you on trade for a 3DS, then you can play all the games. Trading your stuff back in at Gamestop for 1/4 of what you paid for it, is never a smart idea.

sonicrift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sonicrift

Just put it off until you save up the extra 60 bucks, or whatever ridiculous amount they'll give you on trade for a 3DS, then you can play all the games. Trading your stuff back in at Gamestop for 1/4 of what you paid for it, is never a smart idea.

I've got to agree. I've bought a 3DS at launch and a Vita this April, and since picking up the Vita, I've split my time about evenly between them. I love the Vita for small, cheap indie games and old, long RPGs. Hanging onto your 3DS for the next Nintendo game sounds smart to me. I tend to find deeper experiences in 3DS $40 games and great on-the-go fun from $5-$15 Vita games. If you can afford it, it's worth having both, even if they're not both coming everywhere with you.

Swiftopian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Swiftopian

There's an independent game shop near me (eStarland) that offers a lot more than GameStop. If I trade my 3DS and games I might be able to buy a Vita outright or darn close. And I actually already have some vita games that are cross play with PS3.

What in depth games for 3DS are you playing?

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I can't wait for Borderlands 2 on the Vita that will be so amazing, Also I really can't wait to try out that remote play feature for the ps4. All that said I do love JRPG'S and the 3ds seems to be the one system that has a lot of them.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#8  Edited By Hailinel

@iceman228433: People are actually excited for Borderlands 2 on the Vita? Really?

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@iceman228433: People are actually excited for Borderlands 2 on the Vita? Really?

Yup have you ever heard of "Different strokes for different folks" ?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By xyzygy

@jimmyfenix said:
    @hailinel said:

I think what he means is that people who already wanted to play BL2 had a year to do so, it's been on sale countless times and has so much DLC out for it. The people who really wanted to play BL2 already have and really what is the point of getting it again for a scaled down portable system?

It'll be a game that people will buy because of the novelty of having BL2 on a portable system, then realize they've already played it and stop at like level 10 or something.

Also, I wonder how they'll map the buttons to the Vita version. The lack of 4 buttons will really hurt the controls because every button is used extensively on the console versions.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy: Iron galaxy are working on it for vita. I think they will make good port. I see the touch screen being used for the button problem. i cant wait for it !

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

I like my Vita, but I can't see how you won't have the same problem with it as the 3ds, there are some great games, but then there is also a lot of fluff and I think the big name games are few and far between for both systems.

If you have PS+, Vita is a no brainer, and the annual titles are probably going to flip next month so free Gravity Rush will be gone soon which is easily my favorite game for that system.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I ending up buying a Wii twice. I sold my launch model and then bought another when the operation rainfall games were announced for North America. That trade ended up costing me about $125 over just keeping the original console in the first place.

There's always going to be games coming out, on every system, that you want to play. If keeping the 3DS and buying a Vita is an option, that's the one you should go with.

Swiftopian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy: Doesn't Vita only lack the back 2 triggers?

Avatar image for deactivated-6620058d9fa01
    deactivated-6620058d9fa01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Sooty

I have both, and with Pokemon coming out I wouldn't have it any other way.

A 3DS is pretty cheap now, especially if you get the non-XL. I would just keep it and save for a Vita instead.

and Persona 4 Golden is still better than every game on the 3DS.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Having both, I'd say I'd rather have the 3DS at this point. Then again, I also loved Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing.

That said, there are more 3DS games coming out that I think are worth looking at, like Pokemon.

Vita's getting a second wind but that wind isn't there yet, and by then you might have enough to not have to trade your 3ds in.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you have PS+, Vita is a no brainer, and the annual titles are probably going to flip next month so free Gravity Rush will be gone soon which is easily my favorite game for that system.

They'll rotate out Gravity Rush, Wipeout and Uncharted in November since that's when the IGC for Vita was introduced. I wonder what titles they'll put up. Probably Unit 13 and Sly Cooper but I hope not since I have those already. I hope Resistance joins the IGC.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@xyzygy said:

@jimmyfenix said:
    @hailinel said:

I think what he means is that people who already wanted to play BL2 had a year to do so, it's been on sale countless times and has so much DLC out for it. The people who really wanted to play BL2 already have and really what is the point of getting it again for a scaled down portable system?

It'll be a game that people will buy because of the novelty of having BL2 on a portable system, then realize they've already played it and stop at like level 10 or something.

Also, I wonder how they'll map the buttons to the Vita version. The lack of 4 buttons will really hurt the controls because every button is used extensively on the console versions.

If I had a Vita I'd totally get it just for the novelty of having Borderlands 2 on a portable system. As for buttons, the Vita has less of them but it does have a touch screen on the front that's perfect for, I dunno, a little reload icon and a menu icon on the bottom right to free up two buttons for something else. Or you could just map L3 to a section of the left half of the screen, R3 on the right, and L2 and R2 on the back touch panel. Boom! All the buttons of a PS3 on the Vita.

Anyway, the Vita seems like a cool little system but there isn't much on it that I can't get elsewhere. I'd buy one if I had the extra cash but the 3DS had all of those fancy exclusives that I wanted to play. I chose it, and I'm perfectly happy with it, but I can't say that some stuff about the Vita isn't appealing. It's novel, if nothing else.

To the OP, I suggest keeping the 3DS and saving up for the Vita.

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both the 3DS and the Vita have a long life left in them. What the 3DS has right now might not excite you but in the future something amazing could come out. If you can hold off, you would do better keeping the 3DS and buying a Vita when you have the extra money. You may end up regretting the sale of your 3DS.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Belegorm

In my case most of the games I'd want to play on vita I'd rather play on ps3, whereas the 3ds has/will have more exclusive games I'd want to play - fire emblem, monster hunter 3/4 (MH4 might be the game that makes me finally get a 3ds), pokemon x/y, shin megami tensei 4, luigi's mansion, zelda, super smash bros., bravely default (that IS the name of a game).

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ch3burashka

NO DONT GET A 2DS INSTEAD!!!

CynicalBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CynicalBuzzard

You should just save up for a Vita and not trade in your 3DS.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.