Vita has cross-game chat? Say what?

#1 Posted by GS_Dan (1396 posts) -

According to the PS Blog the Vita allows users to have voice chat, even if playing different games:

Party – Fancy a chat while you’re gaming? Speak with your friends anytime you like with Party. The voice and text chat application allows you to talk to up to eight party members, no matter what you’re doing. Party also allows you to set up and jump in multiplayer games and chat with Friends while you play different games, bringing cross-game chat to PS Vita.

Does no one else find it a bit odd that this service is available on the Vita but not the PS3? Cross-game chat has been the most requested PSN feature for years.

#2 Posted by mercutio123 (454 posts) -

They came out the other day saying why it wasn't on the PS3. Something about there not being enough RAM or something? I don't know exactly but it was something like that..

#3 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4035 posts) -

@mercutio123 said:

They came out the other day saying why it wasn't on the PS3. Something about there not being enough RAM or something? I don't know exactly but it was something like that..

That's exactly it. It sucks, sure, but there's nothing we can do.

#4 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

At least they know it's an important feature and it'll be in the next PlayStation. For now it's something I've gotten used to not having. There's not much they can do about it, since they didn't design with it in mind and apparently didn't leave enough RAM overhead to make it an option.

#5 Posted by GS_Dan (1396 posts) -

@mercutio123: Oh really? Weird. I guess this stuff is harder to fit in after games have already been produced for specific hardware...

I used to be fairly on top of these things, but I realised constantly refreshing Kotaku was becoming unhealthy. Been cold turkey for several months!

#6 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2660 posts) -

It is crappy. It's the main reason I never buy multiplatform titles for PS3.

#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (34571 posts) -
@GS_Dan said:
Does no one else find it a bit odd that this service is available on the Vita but not the PS3?
No, because time moves in a linear fashion.
#8 Posted by shootermcclay (219 posts) -

Dumb feature is dumb. Vita will be a day one purchase and this is something I will never use.

#9 Posted by msavo (7521 posts) -

I get people use this feature but personally, from using skype as a replacement for cross game chat once, I found it annoying as hell. I don't understand why you would want to sit down and play a game with 5 people in your ear.

#10 Edited by Scrumdidlyumptious (1636 posts) -

It's been known since Gamescom (or was it TGS? I forget). You could kind of get cross game chat on PS3 games as well by using remote play to play PS3 games on the Vita (They showed off Killzone 3 running fairly well on the Vita)  if you wanted to get really super crazy and need cross-game chat no matter what.

#11 Posted by GS_Dan (1396 posts) -
@Video_Game_King Ha! Yeah, you're right. Like how the 360 launched before the 360 with the functionality in place. Oh, wait.
#12 Posted by GS_Dan (1396 posts) -

*ps3, stupid phone.

#13 Posted by Video_Game_King (34571 posts) -
@GS_Dan

What?
#14 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -

I find it surprising that this is a 'feature'

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.