VITA Launch Line-up Reviews

#1 Edited by emergency (1206 posts) -

With the VITA Launch just around the corner I thought it a good idea to have a thread that collected all of the reviews for all of the various launch titles. I expect that within the next few days the reviews for these games to start piling in. As of right now, there is only a handful of reviews but I will be updating as they come out. So without further ado...

Army Corps of Hell

Asphalt Injection

Ben 10: Galactic Racing

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend

Dungeon Hunter Alliance

Dynasty Warriors Next

Escape Plan

F1 2011

FIFA Soccer

Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational

Little Deviants

Lumines Electronic Symphony

Michael Jackson: The Experience

ModNation Racers: Road Trip

Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus

Rayman Origins

Reality Fighters

Ridge Racer

Shinobido 2: Revenge of Zen

Super Stardust Delta

Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack

Touch My Katamari

Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3

Uncharted: Golden Abyss

WipEout 2048

Virtua Tennis 4: World Tour Edition

Hardware Reviews

#2 Posted by SuperCabboy (100 posts) -

Thanks for the list!

#3 Posted by DonutFever (3811 posts) -

Oh wow, thanks!  

Not sure what to grab, thought Gravity Rush was going to be a Launch title. Torn between Katamari and Uncharted.

#4 Posted by TruthTellah (9635 posts) -

Thanks! Though, no Gravity Rush?

#5 Edited by Spoonman671 (5023 posts) -
@emergency: Gameinformer has Army Corps of Hell (4.5/10) and Wipeout 2048 (7.75/10) in their latest issue.
#6 Posted by LethalKi11ler (1594 posts) -

@TruthTellah: Not out in NA or Europe for launch

#7 Posted by shadows_kill (3093 posts) -

Thanks for the list! I'm probably not going to jump onto getting a PSVita for a while however, Escape Plan, Little Deviants, Shinobido 2, Uncharted, and Unit 13 I'm all interested in. The game that will get me to buy a Vita will probably be Persona 4.

#8 Posted by TruthTellah (9635 posts) -

@LethalKi11ler said:

ah. I didn't realize SCEA had apologized for a mistaken press release saying that it was a launch title. Guess it is indeed coming out in May instead. :\

#9 Posted by LethalKi11ler (1594 posts) -

@TruthTellah: Pretty big bummer =.= Plus May is too close to waste money on an import

#10 Posted by emergency (1206 posts) -

@Spoonman671 said:

@emergency: Gameinformer has Army Corps of Hell (4.5/10) and Wipeout 2048 (7.75/10) in their latest issue.

Thanks a lot, the help is appreciated.

@shadows_kill said:

Thanks for the list! I'm probably not going to jump onto getting a PSVita for a while however, Escape Plan, Little Deviants, Shinobido 2, Uncharted, and Unit 13 I'm all interested in. The game that will get me to buy a Vita will probably be Persona 4.

Think you are in the same boat as a lot of people. The launch line-up is pretty great, but it's not going anywhere. You aren't going to miss out that much, and a lot of people seem to want persona 4. By the time it's out, I expect a lot more PSP titles will be ported and PS1 Classics to be available. So waiting seems like a good idea if you are don't get too excited over the thought of new technology. @TruthTellah said:

@LethalKi11ler said:

ah. I didn't realize SCEA had apologized for a mistaken press release saying that it was a launch title. Guess it is indeed coming out in May instead. :\

It's a real shame, the information for when it's going to be released seems so murky. That game would have sold quite a few more units at launch, it's one of the few original IPs that VITA has going for it atm.

#11 Posted by Redbullet685 (6197 posts) -

Wow, not looking too great so far excluding Uncharted.

#12 Posted by emergency (1206 posts) -
@Redbullet685

There is certainly a lot of not very good stuff. But there are a few games definately worth a look at from what I've heard. Escape plan, hot shots golf, wipeout, uncharted, lumines, super stardust are all decent games from what I've heard. Personally I think it's a strong lineup in comparison to the 3DS
#13 Posted by Scrumdidlyumptious (1679 posts) -

Oh crap didn't realize Escape Plan was a launch title. Guess that, Hot Shots and Super Stardust Delta will hold me until Gravity Rush. Supposedly Virtua Tennis 4 is a better showcase for graphics than Uncharted, not sure I want it though.

#14 Posted by Masha2932 (1331 posts) -

Are you going to add Hardware reviews to your post? If so I'd encourage you to post The Verge's( VOX Games) very detailed review. I was actually surprised at the detail in this review and hopefully others can get a chance to read it as well. If this is the breadth of content we can expect from the verge then I'm very impressed. Anyway sorry about the ramble you can find he review here http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/21/2648497/sony-playstation-vita-japan-review It's a review of the Japanese unit updated with US specific features, games and apps.

IGN also has a review of the Vita but it's not as detailed http://au.ign.com/articles/2012/02/13/sony-playstation-vita-review

#15 Posted by emergency (1206 posts) -

I hadn't considered it but I'll add a section for it when I get home.

#16 Posted by MasturbatingestBear (1304 posts) -

Hey UMVC3? Nice!

#17 Edited by Djratchet (686 posts) -

Touch my Katamari it is.

The confusion about Gravity Rush makes me sad.

#18 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5882 posts) -

IGN gave Lumines a 9

#19 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19818 posts) -

I feel like getting Lumines, especially since I've never played a game in the series before, but $40 really does seem like too much.

#20 Posted by SpaceRunaway (891 posts) -

Will you be adding the Joystiq reviews?

#21 Posted by Redbullet685 (6197 posts) -

I really do want to get one of these, but I could wait until Christmas when either the price on the system drops, or when there is a good bundle. Also, I could get these games for cheap.

#22 Edited by Etnos (260 posts) -

CNET Hardware review is such B.S. - Basically bashing it for not being and iPhone.. What about power of choice?!.

I already have an iPhone/iPad, I want something better for mobile gaming.

#23 Posted by devilzrule27 (1241 posts) -

how do people honestly review hot shots when the online isn't even up? At least according to the people who imported a vita and bought the game off the Us store.

#24 Posted by Village_Guy (2769 posts) -

Interesting, so far the reviews have been mixed although it seems slightly towards the positive end of the scale, so that's good for the Sony and the VITA at least.

#25 Posted by emergency (1206 posts) -
@Etnos

CNET Hardware review is such B.S. - Basically bashing it for not being and iPhone.. What about power of choice?!.

I already have an iPhone/iPad, I want something better for mobile gaming.

Yeah a lot of reviews seem to be going down that route which is kinda bizarre. I think that it's the touch controls, gestures and home page interface that draws comparisons to the iOS devices. At the end of the day, I never remember reviews for the 3DS being compared to an iOS device so consistently.
#27 Posted by emergency (1206 posts) -

@SpaceRunaway said:

Will you be adding the Joystiq reviews?

They haven't done many yet, but certainly.

#28 Posted by Greigo (25 posts) -

Great! I appear to have made the correct choice for my pre-orders.... PHEW!

#29 Posted by craigymail (229 posts) -

Gamesradar seem to hate Modnation Racers guts!

#30 Posted by 014 (395 posts) -
@Redbullet685 said:

Those scores are fine. 

To the OP, thanks for the list!
#31 Posted by Redbullet685 (6197 posts) -

@014 said:

@Redbullet685 said:

Those scores are fine. To the OP, thanks for the list!

When I posted that there was only a few reviews for a few games. The scores weren't looking too great then, but now it's looking better, but there is still a lot of bad games there.

#32 Posted by Heltom92 (761 posts) -
#33 Posted by 014 (395 posts) -
@Redbullet685: Makes sense.
#34 Edited by emergency (1206 posts) -

@Redbullet685 said:

@014 said:

@Redbullet685 said:

Those scores are fine. To the OP, thanks for the list!

When I posted that there was only a few reviews for a few games. The scores weren't looking too great then, but now it's looking better, but there is still a lot of bad games there.

As with any launch, bad games are a staple. Good games take time, and that's not often something developers put in (or have..) when they are creating launch titles. A lot of the best titles here are remakes, or the same game as a console equivalent.

@Heltom92 said:

Ninja Gaiden got 7 from Game Informer and 6 from GamesRadar.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-vita/ninja-gaiden-sigma-plus

Thanks for the heads up.

#35 Posted by SuperCabboy (100 posts) -

The only game on here that I want.... Is all of them!

#36 Posted by Deranged (1931 posts) -

Looks like the Vita isn't doing too bad. Although I will wait for a price drop.

#37 Posted by Marino (5284 posts) -

Just to be clear: Reality Fighters and Ridge Racer are not launch titles. I removed Unit 13 from the list since it isn't either. I left the reviews up for the other two though.

Staff
#38 Posted by SuperCabboy (100 posts) -

Tales From Space: Mutanat Blobs Attack got a 9.0 on IGN

#39 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2704 posts) -

Been playing a lot of Little Deviants. It's definitely a minigame collection, but it's A LOT of minigames, and a lot of them are really fun. I was kind of expecting a pretty mediocre title based on everything I've read, but I keep going back to it.

#40 Posted by AhmadMetallic (19303 posts) -

I am impressed by the device and the games, very nice indeed. Thank you for this awesome list, too. 

P.S.  I started watching the vita show on giant bomb, wanted to buy a vita, looked at the device's price tag as well as the tag for its games.... No longer want to buy a vita.
#41 Posted by emergency (1206 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

I am impressed by the device and the games, very nice indeed. Thank you for this awesome list, too.

P.S. I started watching the vita show on giant bomb, wanted to buy a vita, looked at the device's price tag as well as the tag for its games.... No longer want to buy a vita.

It's certainly a very expensive device, though for the technology inside it its quite reasonable. The game prices are very dear, the same as console games... is just too damn high.

#42 Posted by SpaceRunaway (891 posts) -

It's nice to see that it's not all bad news for Army Corps of Hell.

#43 Posted by ExcessDebris (175 posts) -

@emergency said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

P.S. I started watching the vita show on giant bomb, wanted to buy a vita, looked at the device's price tag as well as the tag for its games.... No longer want to buy a vita.

It's certainly a very expensive device, though for the technology inside it its quite reasonable. The game prices are very dear, the same as console games... is just too damn high.

I think it's important to distinguish the pricing variability with Vita games though. It seems like new Vita games have very variable pricing with games ranging from $8 (Tales from Space) to the outrageous $50 (Uncharted). I think kind of like how iPhone games took a while to get the pricing/value structure right, Vita games will eventually sort out what prices make games the most profitable after a few months.

#44 Posted by emergency (1206 posts) -

@DrHorrible256 said:

@emergency said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

I think it's important to distinguish the pricing variability with Vita games though. It seems like new Vita games have very variable pricing with games ranging from $8 (Tales from Space) to the outrageous $50 (Uncharted). I think kind of like how iPhone games took a while to get the pricing/value structure right, Vita games will eventually sort out what prices make games the most profitable after a few months.

There is still a market for an uncharted game on the handheld that costs almost as much as it would on a home console. Each game kind of has to be priced individually cause the amount of content and work that went into each one is completely different. The downloadable titles didn't require a lot of work on textures, scripts, voice acting and such. I have not much problem paying £30-40 for Rayman Origins for example, cause that game is worth it. Now, the problem arises with some of these other games out there such as Lumines, Army Corps of Hell, Dungeon Hunter Alliance. Those games aren't worth £30 imo. Ok, Lumines is great I understand but it's not made anywhere near a big enough leap from the PSP versions to warrant such a high price. Dungeon Hunter Alliance is just an iOS game ported essentially and Army Corps of Hell smells like it should have been £15-20, not £30-35. I think the problem is with developers who think that because they got launch titles out there, that they can charge a tonne of money cause they are the only RPG on the market atm. I believe a lot of the games that start so high will drop really fast anyway so it'll all work out.

#45 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2704 posts) -

@DrHorrible256 said:

@emergency said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Having played a good chunk of Uncharted: GA, I don't think the $50 is any more unreasonable than the $60 for the Uncharted games on the PS3. There's a lot of content here, a lot of voice acting, it's obvious a lot of work was put into it. We can have the discussion that video games in general are overpriced at launch for $50-$60, but if someone is going to argue that Vanquish or The Darkness 2 is worth the $60 price tag at launch with 5-6 hours of gameplay, I don't see how $50 for a full Uncharted game on the Vita is out of line at all.

#46 Posted by ExcessDebris (175 posts) -

@Krakn3Dfx said:

@DrHorrible256 said:

@emergency said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Having played a good chunk of Uncharted: GA, I don't think the $50 is any more unreasonable than the $60 for the Uncharted games on the PS3. There's a lot of content here, a lot of voice acting, it's obvious a lot of work was put into it. We can have the discussion that video games in general are overpriced at launch for $50-$60, but if someone is going to argue that Vanquish or The Darkness 2 is worth the $60 price tag at launch with 5-6 hours of gameplay, I don't see how $50 for a full Uncharted game on the Vita is out of line at all.

You actually make a really good point. Lots of games come out for $60 on consoles and no one bats an eye, despite their being incredibly short on content. The price of the game should be directly related to the value of the game regardless of it's a portable or console game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.