Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

Vita RPG Recommendations

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I'm bored and I need something to play. I already have both Persona 3 and 4, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Soul Sacrifice, FF 6,7, and 9, and Vagrant Story. Psp games are not preferred but acceptable and I have no problem with the super-Japanese/anime titles, I don't care as long as it's something good, though I don't want any more ps1 games.

I was looking at Ys: Memories of Celceta, Conception II, Demon Gaze, and Atelier Rorona Plus, but I have no idea if any are good, so any feedback on those would be accepted as well.

Recommend me something please!

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#2  Edited By StarvingGamer

FFT:WotL

EDIT: Oh, no more PS1 games. What if it's the best PS1 game?

XCEagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

How about the Disgaeas? The 3rd is on there, and the 4th will be in a month. Great games that I've spent a lot of time with.

slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@xceagle: The disgaea games seems super complicated. Confirm or deny? Lot's of information up front that sort of scared me away.

GValo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I enjoyed Ys a lot. Takes a bit to get into but it was fun. I'm planning on playing through it again with a guide because I feel like I missed a lot of stuff. If you're willing to look at PSP games, look into Lunar: Silver Star Harmony. It was originally a Sega CD game that was ported to PS1 and then remade on PSP. I've probably played through the game 8 or 9 times between PS1, PSP, and Vita.

officer_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The HD version of FF-X is a good choice if you didn't get it for the PS3 already.

If you're into visual novels Danganronpa can be entertaining. Plus the sequel's getting released later this year.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheBlue

I also recommend Ys. I've never played any of them before and I enjoyed this one a lot. It's very much an action RPG though, so if you're looking for more turn based, it might not be what you want.

Also I really like the FF4 Complete Collection if you haven't played FF4 or The After Years.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Rejizzle

Why not try Jeff's favorite RPG, Phantasy Star 2? All the Genesis Phantasy Stars are on the Sega Genesis Collection for PSP. That lone makes the collection well worth the price even if you don't want to play a shitty Virtual Fighter 2 port.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slax: Disgaea may seem intimidating but if you just want to go through the main story, you don't really need to worry about all the more complicated stuff and you can just go through it like any other SRPG.

InfiniteSpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 33

Here's my quick takes on two games you were possibly looking into...

I enjoyed Ys: Memories of Celceta. Lengthy but enjoyable adventure to explore in the game. Gameplay is pretty simple but fun to play throughout. Lots of content to dig though (items/weapons/accessories, side quests, seeking memories). Graphics look a bit poor (being a PSP port I think) and the game does suffer through slowdown when you're battling tons of enemies at once.

I'm currently going through Demon Gaze and I would only suggest this game if you're a big dungeon crawler fan. The game is pretty unforgiving with random encounters, tons of common enemies to fight at times, boss fights, and constantly paying rent return back to the inn. There's also a few very creepy fan service scenes in as well.

Hope this helps a bit.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Disgaea.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I liked Ys a lot, so I can definitely recommend that one. I enjoy the Atelier games, but I haven't played the Vita versions of any of them. Plus I think the newer ones are a little better than Rorona.

ike7779

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Well it's a PSP game but consider Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. Everyone raves about that game. Only played a few hours but I really liked it. Plan on returning to it when I get stranded on that desert island.

And Disgaea 3 is definitely worth checking out if you like SRPGs at all. As mentioned the complex stuff is really not needed until after the first playthrough. A really well done properly enhanced port.

Played a few hours of Ys and it seems great. Definitely see myself going back to it.

My girlfriend really liked the Atelier games. They feel like light-hearted FF-style RPGs with strong focus on alchemy. Seem very solid.

If you liked Freedom Unite & Soul Sacrifice then check out the demo four Toukiden, I really enjoyed my time with the demo but still have yet to be hooked by a Monster Hunter-style game.

Conception II has a demo too. I bought it and have only played a few hours so far, wouldn't necessarily recommend it from what I've seen. Combat doesn't feel very rewarding and it's heavy on the micro for party setup, but I do want to get back to it at some point.

bsstephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Ys: Memories of Celceta is definitely worth a complete playthrough if you like the action of it. Story's nothing special, but it plays great. And of course there's some great Falcom soundtrack to enjoy. Overall don't expect to be wowed by the story or characters, but it looks nice and is a very solid action RPG. If you've never played a Ys, Celceta is kind of like an amped up Secret of Mana. Definitely recommended.

Demon Gaze is one of my favorite games on the platform. If you like crawlers/gridders/whatever you like to call them, it's an extremely well-done Wizardry-style whatever, the plot and side conversations are enough to keep you interested, and you can get a ton of playtime out of the options and builds the game gives you to play with. It can be difficult but it's never unfair. Absolutely recommended.

Conception II: I backburnered this in favor of other Vita releases, but I liked what I played of it. The game looks great and the out-of-dungeon stuff is very entertaining if you like talking to waifus. The combat itself feels like it's missing an element to make it more complex, though, and the actual look of them gets boring quick. Still though I thought it was okay, and will probably get back to it. Try the demo, it's the entire first chapter of the game and you get bonus items if you choose to pick it up.

Still need to get to the Atelier games, but yeah, general opinion is they're all good, and Rorona is the one to start with.

To add to the list, I have been playing Mind Zero lately. It has its faults (occasional unfair bosses, fights look drab, a bit grindy in general) but I don't think it deserves the bum rap it got from some before it came out. If you want more moody JRPGs (it cribs from Persona 3 (not that that's a bad thing)), give it a look, but if you're interested in it as a dungeon crawler, definitely start with Demon Gaze.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Corevi

Disgaea 3 is the worst game in the series, wait for Disgaea 4 Vita which is the best game in the series. There's a simple satisfaction from going from 10 damage on an attack to TRILLIONS and the story is D4 actually is pretty good.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've played about half an hour of Rainbow Moon. Seems alright.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.