Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

Vita Titles Will Cost Less When Downloaded Via the Online Store

• 92 results
    alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By alex

The notion of Sony and participating publishers charging a bit less for digital purchases of PlayStation Vita titles than they would normally cost at retail has been kicked around for a while, especially given that such discounting was available right at launch when the Vita debuted in Japan. Still, Sony's American division had yet to confirm any digital discounts for the region...until today.

No Caption Provided

Shacknews' Andrew Yoon managed to get Sony to confirm once and for all that digital copies of Vita games will sport a 10% discount over their retail prices. Uncharted: Golden Abyss, for instance, will reportedly cost you $44.99 through the digital store, as opposed to $49.99 in physical form.

The discount theoretically should apply to all Vita games, since all Vita titles will be available in the online store--though some titles, like Escape Plan and Super Stardust Delta, will be download only, and thus there won't be anything to discount from.

Though Sony didn't confirm a uniform 10% discount for all titles, an intrepid NeoGAF user discovered that Best Buy will also be distributing purchasable codes for downloadable copies of Vita games, which are set at the discounted price.

While a 10% discount might not necessarily be a make-or-break for many players--especially given the not terribly inexpensive pricing of memory cards, which you'll need to store digital copies of games--it does lend some credence to the notion that hardware makers (or, specifically in this case, Sony) as well as third party publishers are very much planning on getting on board with this whole "digital revolution" we keep hearing about yet typically see no real progress on from anyone besides Valve and kinda sorta EA.

In other news, hey guys? The Vita is coming out soon. Like, really soon.

Here's that official list of launch titles, just in case you forgot.

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By alex

The notion of Sony and participating publishers charging a bit less for digital purchases of PlayStation Vita titles than they would normally cost at retail has been kicked around for a while, especially given that such discounting was available right at launch when the Vita debuted in Japan. Still, Sony's American division had yet to confirm any digital discounts for the region...until today.

No Caption Provided

Shacknews' Andrew Yoon managed to get Sony to confirm once and for all that digital copies of Vita games will sport a 10% discount over their retail prices. Uncharted: Golden Abyss, for instance, will reportedly cost you $44.99 through the digital store, as opposed to $49.99 in physical form.

The discount theoretically should apply to all Vita games, since all Vita titles will be available in the online store--though some titles, like Escape Plan and Super Stardust Delta, will be download only, and thus there won't be anything to discount from.

Though Sony didn't confirm a uniform 10% discount for all titles, an intrepid NeoGAF user discovered that Best Buy will also be distributing purchasable codes for downloadable copies of Vita games, which are set at the discounted price.

While a 10% discount might not necessarily be a make-or-break for many players--especially given the not terribly inexpensive pricing of memory cards, which you'll need to store digital copies of games--it does lend some credence to the notion that hardware makers (or, specifically in this case, Sony) as well as third party publishers are very much planning on getting on board with this whole "digital revolution" we keep hearing about yet typically see no real progress on from anyone besides Valve and kinda sorta EA.

In other news, hey guys? The Vita is coming out soon. Like, really soon.

Here's that official list of launch titles, just in case you forgot.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Really?

oppai2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By oppai2

I am really curious how the Vita sales pan out. Sony isn´t in good shape at the moment.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Neat, I guess. It'll still be cheaper to buy the physical copies once the prices drop (which happens with all games). Willing to bet the PSN prices won't drop anywhere near as fast.

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By shaunk

So has someone calculated how many games you need to buy to make up for the price of the memory card?

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By louiedog

While a price break for cheaper distribution is nice it only matters if the codes drop in price and go on sale like discs do.

Potts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Potts

About time someone passed the savings on to the customer. Though I wonder how long this will last - remember how Microsoft published titles were supposed to be $50 on 360 as opposed to everyone else's $60 price tag? That lasted about 3 games.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#8  Edited By Hailinel

Not a big difference.

Sil3n7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Sil3n7

I can hear Alex speak everything he writes in my mind. Its...weird.

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Cybexx

I find it interesting that 10% is about the same discount you tend to get for buying a game early on Steam. Just an observation.

PLWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By PLWolf

I'll take 10% off as most of my purchases will end up being Digital. The only Cart in the Vita will be Lumines: ES! Just like the only UMD in my PSP is Lumines 2.

strathmore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By strathmore

Yeah... wonder how long it'll take to make up the costs after buying a memory card...‏

Slow_pC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Slow_pC

Been playing with my vita at work and I have been pretty happy with it. Want to try out uncharted or something but until the sony store is up and running on the us units ... I will live with what I have.

Floppypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By Floppypants

Uncharted: Golden Abyss
    Week 1:  Amazon $50, PSN $45
    Week 5:  Amazon $40, PSN $45, eBay Used $30
    Week 16:  Amazon $30, PSN $45, eBay Used $20
    Week 52:  Amazon $20, PSN $45, eBay Used $10

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By penguindust

10% isn't enough for me to make that switch. It's like the difference between new and used at Gamestop where if you bought it used, you could then sell it back again for credit. Vita's going to have to do better than 10% if they want to pull in consumers. 25% off sounds about right to me.

rihanna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By rihanna

@MasturbatingestBear said:

So has someone calculated how many games you need to buy to make up for the price of the memory card?

I don't think you ever make up the difference.

8 GB card is $30. That's enough space for 4 games. You save $20 from buying those 4 games online. In the end, online games and memory card cost $210 vs $200 for the physical games (based on a person buying $50 games). This cycle repeats itself when you buy another memory card to download 4 more games.

I guess this means it costs the same to buy twelve $45 downloadable games and three 8GB memory cards as it does to buy twelve $50 retail games and an 8 GB memory card. Buying physical copies of the game becomes cheaper than downloadable copies when you buy your 13th game.

For people who want all there games immediately available, buying the physical copies is probably cheaper in the long run.

rbanke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By rbanke

@Floppypants said:

Uncharted: Golden Abyss Week 1: Amazon $50, PSN $45 Week 5: Amazon $40, PSN $45, eBay Used $30 Week 16: Amazon $30, PSN $45, eBay Used $20Week 52: Amazon $20, PSN $45, eBay Used $10

This sums up what I was going to post.

jgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jgf

It'll be interesting to see how BestBuy &co. react when retail prices for old games drop as they sell both, boxed copy and download code. Will we see a boxed copy for less then the download code? I cant imagine that. Perhaps they simply remove the download codes from shelf when prices drop, because they do not loose money by throwing them away - unlike with boxed copies.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By yoshimitz707

@Strathmore said:

Yeah... wonder how long it'll take to make up the costs after buying a memory card...‏

You'd have to buy 20 games digitally and save $5 on each to make up the $100 for the 32GB memory card.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Sil3n7 said:

No Caption Provided
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By AuthenticM

@Sil3n7 said:

I know, right?

SupberUber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SupberUber

This is pretty much a given, if they want to succeed in shifting the software to the downloadable market.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CaLe

If I delete a game off the memory card after I have paid for it can I just download it again at any time? If not then this isn't worth it.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By Marz

10% off is not much, How bout a 10$ cut straight up for diigital copies.

Ehker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ehker

@CaLe said:

If I delete a game off the memory card after I have paid for it can I just download it again at any time? If not then this isn't worth it.

Of course. It's the same PSN system just like with PS3/PSP/mini game files giving you unlimited re-downloads. You're just limited to two activated devices at a time.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#26  Edited By MormonWarrior

This...makes no difference. Those games are still too pricey. And those memory cards are absolutely absurd.

Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Draxyle

It's a start, they're finally realizing that digital does not contain the same value as a retail product. They need to be more aggressive like steam though and keep those prices fluctuating, even if they have to actually hire a guy to handle that specifically.

They should start doing that right away with regular PSP titles though, some of those are still too expensive.

Avatar image for p_pigly_hogswine
    P_Pigly_Hogswine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By P_Pigly_Hogswine

Makes sense. All digital games should be cheaper than their retail counterparts. No disc production, no printing of manuals, no hard cases, no case slips, no shipping, no storage, no retail space arrangements. Obviously there are server and digital delivery costs but I'd bet they're a sight cheaper than the road to retail.

Just take a look at the prices of some PS3 games on PSN. It's insane. Most are at least $20-30 more than you'd pay in a store, and more if you buy online. EA and Ubisoft are the worst offenders. AU$100 for Rayman Origins on PSN when I can buy it AU$40 cheaper online.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#29  Edited By golguin

@Sil3n7 said:

Same here. I think it's because he writes the types of things he would say out loud and a good number of people know how snarky he can be. His articles usually gives me a good chuckle or two.

pw2566ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By pw2566ch

This is a good thing that Sony is doing. However, I'm still going to wait a few years to buy the Vita. I just want to make sure that the games aren't overpriced during the time.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Vexxan

Well it's something, right?

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh that sounds good, Ive always wondered why they never did this in the first place

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#33  Edited By metalsnakezero

I'll wait till I have enough money but I will get it for Persona 4 Golden.

delsaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By delsaber

I'd prefer to pay the extra 10% for a physical copy. Crazy, right?

Well, someday it'll seem crazy, y'know, when I move again. Uggggh.

PXAbstraction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By PXAbstraction

PS Vita memory cards are undoubtedly overpriced (though this will change when third parties get in on the action) but people happily pay $100 more to get an extra 16GB of non-replaceable, completely proprietary memory in their iOS devices and seem happy to do it. From what I understand, if you do want to buy retail games as well (which as others have said, you can get for cheaper than digital if you're willing to wait a bit), the internal memory of the PS Vita will give enough space for saves and the like. I do think it's a dumb move for them to be charging so much for memory cards but yeah, it's not like people aren't paying that price and way more already.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#36  Edited By AndrewB

@Floppypants: Even more accurately: Week 1: Amazon: $50 plus between $10 and $20 in credit. Credit you can actually use.

Or Newegg $40-$45 pre-order sale.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#37  Edited By sammo21

Not as cheap as originally touted, but cheaper is cheaper

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By Enigma777

I don't wanna look at a gift horse in the mouth... but 10%? Really? Man, I sure as hell hope that stacks up with the PS+ discount or something...

indiefinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By indiefinch

Just give me Monster Hunter on my Vita and I will pay whatever you want...

Tidel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40  Edited By Tidel

10% is not a worthwhile difference.

I'd rather spend the $5 and have physical ownership. My consumer rights are worth more.

TwilitEnd656

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TwilitEnd656

This would be cool, if I weren't worried about the price of their memory cards. But I am. So meh.

vinsanityv22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By vinsanityv22

The real question is how fast will games devalue? Because games at retail typically lose value in a matter of weeks. By two months later, they're a third of the price they once were (for example, Rage on PS3 is now a mere $20 on Amazon). From what I've seen, games on PSN stay higher priced longer than they do at retail, thus negating the "savings".

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#43  Edited By spankingaddict

Very cool .

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#44  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Great news.

@vinsanityv22: Any game that is available at retail will eventually lower in price. This would mostly be for those who would want to buy a game upon its release.

jellotek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By jellotek

@MasturbatingestBear: ...You might save a little bit? The lowest denomination is the 4gb priced at $20. The problem is, some games are pretty big, and I can't imagine games like Uncharted being small. Basically, if you buy at launch, the games would have to be under 1gb for you to realize any savings. The problem is, even some PSP games border 2gb, so unless they compress the data really well or unless you just buy small games, you won't actually save that much money.

Edit: Assuming retail price of $50, like Uncharted. But assuming its 10% across the board, shouldn't change the savings any? ...Someone correct me if I'm wrong. lol.

vaportra1l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#46  Edited By vaportra1l

They do realize that people can buy most mobile games on smartphones from around $0.00 to $5? Noone wants to pay 50 bucks for these things.

BlackHeronBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#47  Edited By BlackHeronBlue

lol, who's gonna buy that?

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#48  Edited By Dany

@vaportra1l said:

They do realize that people can buy most mobile games on smartphones from around $0.00 to $5? Noone wants to pay 50 bucks for these things.

Those ios games are not in the same leage as the types of games on a vita or 3DS, graphics, gameplay, actual buttons. They each hold a different audience.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By algertman

That 10% percent just cost them shelf space at retail outlets. They are not going to push the PSV that hard if Sony is going to undersell them on their software.

moncole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#50  Edited By moncole

I won't get a vita in till I see it get support from Somy because Sony abandons there stuff. The Move and PSP for example.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.