Wah, I have dumb vita questions!

#1 Posted by geodlux (21 posts) -

After hear about all these vita bundles, and really wanting to have my own persona 4 adventure...I am leaning towards purchasing one. However, I know the life of the system maybe not be worth it. Forgive these dumb questions, are most of the quality psp games available to download? Like the previous personas, and other rpgs? I really am not in love with the idea of hunting down psp games, or paying ebay prices. Are ps2 or ps games available as well? I have not been in the sony loop for a while so not sure what their vita store is like. Thanks for your responses in advance, and patience for my ignorance!

#2 Posted by Neurotic (632 posts) -

A lot of PSP games have a digital version now, including Persona 1, 2 and 3. PS1 games are there too. Not sure about PS2 games cos the EU Store's selection of PS2 games is terrible. Maybe the NA store is better.

#3 Edited by DeF (4958 posts) -

You can't play PS2 games on a Vita.

http://www.psxextreme.com/vita-news/98.html

"Users can play supported digital PSP titles and supported minis. In regard to PSone classics titles, we will announce further details when they are ready. PlayStation does not have plans to make PS Vita compatible with PS3 or PS2 titles at this point."

#4 Posted by Blastroid (257 posts) -
#5 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1596 posts) -

Here's a pretty complete list of all of the PSP games available/not available on the Vita. It's a pretty healthy library, with only a few significant games missing from it.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316058

You cannot play PS2 games on the Vita; it only emulates PSP and PS1 games.

The Vita as a standalone system is kind of a hard sell, unless you really want to play Persona 4: Golden (The sole reason I bought a Vita in the first place). But as a device with access to the large library of PSP titles, it's a much easier sell. There are a lot of great PSP games, almost all of which can be played on the Vita, so if that's the primary focus here, go for it.

Hope this helps!

#6 Posted by geodlux (21 posts) -

Thanks! I should have googled harder.

#7 Posted by geodlux (21 posts) -

Woah, did not realize Xenogears was available for download. Trading that game in as a kid is one of my biggest life regrets.

Is the Ys series fun?

#8 Posted by BlackLagoon (1477 posts) -

Another thing is that a lot of the lists of compatible titles are out of date as compatibility will improve every now and then, and the exact list of titles differ between regions. Even looking at the PSN store on a Vita doesn't get you a complete picture since some can be downloaded on a PS3 and transferred to the Vita even if they're not marked as compatible in the store. Someone pretty much has to try to transfer the title themselves to be sure whether its working or not.

#9 Posted by captain_clayman (3326 posts) -

@geodlux said:

Thanks! I should have googled harder.

also keep in mind, there are a lot of games in the PSP section of the store that don't show up in the vita section. since you can't get them directly on your vita, you have to transfer them from a ps3 to the vita, so hopefully you have a ps3.

#10 Posted by geodlux (21 posts) -

The only thing really holding me back from getting one, is the dumb memory card cost. Paying 300-400 bucks for a system and memory card to play old games, its hard to justify to myself, ha.

#11 Posted by BlackLagoon (1477 posts) -

@geodlux: Well, the bundles typically have 4 GB card included, which you can fit a number of PSP games on. And IMHO at least, if you have a PlayStation Plus subscription, the cost of even a 32 GB memory card becomes insignificant compared to the amount of games you receive.

#12 Posted by geodlux (21 posts) -

Cool, Thanks again for all the prompt responses. I normally hate asking questions in forums, but everyone here is nice!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.