Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

What Do You Like about the PS Vita?

insouciant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By insouciant

I have a 3DS XL, but sometimes I wonder if I made the right choice. What do you like about the PlayStation Vita? I like it's higher resolution and optional 3G Internet connection.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By TruthTellah

The Vita has Persona 4 Golden.

If you didn't have a PSP, it's good for that, too.

and um...

The screen is nice?

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By EquitasInvictus

I ended up getting a Vita because I had a broken PSP but still wanted to play a few PSP games (the Persona 1 & 2 remakes particularly) and then play through Golden. I'll probably give Gravity Rush a shot someday, and I heard there's a whole library of games you get to play if you're a PSN subscriber (which I'll probably take advantage of real soon).

Oh and you can screenshot Vita games by holding the Playstation button and the Start button -- that's a pretty cool functionality.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By MEATBALL

Two analogue sticks, awesome OLED screen, great OS with Trophy support and an online store/service that is actually good. A wealth of PSone and PSP games available for the system as well as Minis and PS Mobile on top of the (admittedly flimsy, but totally not that bad) Vita library. Day one digital releases. PS+. Persona 4 Golden.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By PillClinton

Why all the questions, hmm?

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By MudMan

Pretty much everything, really. It's a shame it's bombing so hard, because third party support for large triple-A games is likely to dry out if it doesn't pick up soon, but I've played a ton of stuff I loved on it so far, from Gravity Rush to Motorstorm RC (both of which ended up on my personal GOTY list), and I've also rediscovered a bunch of PSP games I hadn't played the first time, including Persona 3 Portable.

I really do recommend it, especially for people that skipped the PSP. I question some decisions about the kind of software support and how it's been positioned in the market by Sony, but the device itself is very nice for the money.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By BlackLagoon

Aside the memory card prices (which I made my peace with when I bought a 32 GB card), I pretty happy with everything. Excellent build quality, great OLED screen, solid buttons and sticks. Already had PlayStation Plus for my PS3, so I'm essentially getting free games every month, not to mention I have full access to PSN including compatible games I'd already bought on my PS3 (Minis, PSOne).

Gameswise there's more than enough for me, currently switching between Gravity Rush, Assassin's Creed, Knytt Underground, and EDF 2017 Portable is just around the corner. Never mind that I really need to start finish those PSP Persona games I bought... So yeah, very happy with it.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#8  Edited By beargirl1

i can play Ninja Gaiden on it. it's probably the worst version of that particular Ninja Gaiden game, but i can still play it regardless.

well, apart from that, i like the screen a lot. dual analog sticks on a handheld is kinda cool and i like the trophy support on it. PS1/PSP support is cool, too since now i have somewhere to play P3P and Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble. also, EDF2017 is coming to the Vita. it's a nice companion for bus rides.

CollegeGuyMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#9  Edited By CollegeGuyMike

My Vita won't come until tomorrow.. so.. I like that I'll be able to play Persona 4 now? I also lost my PSP a while ago, so I can go crazy deep into Patapon 2/3 again finally.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#10  Edited By Kidavenger

I like it's instant off and on, the youtube app is good, the speakers on it are good enough for it to be a portable music player in the house.

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By jimi

There are a few really good games and the screen is nice. Also all digital is very handy.

FLYmeatwad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FLYmeatwad

As someone who is still using a dumbphone and doesn't have a tablet, I love being able to play P4G and hop out to a web browser at any point in time without having to stop the game/get on my computer if I'm just looking for the GB thread that has all the answers to the classroom questions, then hop right back in the game in less than a second. Still messing around with the other stuff as I just got the Vita for Christmas. Super pleased so far though. Great being able to play P4 again without having to break out my PS3 or PS2, this time in the comfort of my own bed at night before sleeping.

Might be sacrilegious, but I kind of feel like if traditional JRPGs are going to continue to live the best place for them to do that is on handhelds. But I'm mostly alone in that thought as well, from what I can gather by hearing how other people use (or don't use) handhelds.

Cthulad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Cthulad

Was a Christmas gift, but so far, I am loving it. Just the system, and what it can do, or even the potential of it is great so far.

The only thing I would change is either allow for non-sony memory cards, or drop those damn prices. They are ridiculous expensive for such a tiny piece of electronics.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By toowalrus

The Vita is a fucking quality piece of hardware. It only needs the games to hold it up...

myniceicelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By myniceicelife

If it had the games to back it up, it would have done a lot better then it has so far. Persona 4 Golden is incredible, but a lot of people won't play a game like P4G so that won't be enough to sell a system. There are other good games, but nothing for most that will sell a Vita to them, which is a shame because it is a really good handheld device even with the mostly useless back touch capability.

FLYmeatwad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FLYmeatwad

Oh yeah, I also don't like touch screens because of the finger print stuff. Other than that I love the Vita, like I said above. Touch screens are a terrible trend, and they need to be stopped. I don't want to touch a screen, I want to use the buttons and sticks. I was glad that there's an option to disable the touch screen navigation, but I wish it also worked when turning on the system (I don't want to swipe the screen to open the main menu), checking the network/calling SoS's on P4G, and the web browser.

clumsyninja1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By clumsyninja1

Probably the only game that I play is P4 golden. Other than that, I play psone games and the freebies that i get from PS+.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By Justin258

@TooWalrus said:

The Vita is a fucking quality piece of hardware. It only needs the games to hold it up...

I don't actually have one but from all I know about it, this is my opinion. And that was the PSP's issue for quite a while, it was a fairly powerful little handheld in its day but it took a while for it to get a decent library.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#19  Edited By gla55jAw

I'm enjoying it. I think what I like most, is all the games I got for free and all the continued discounting that PS+ is giving me every few weeks.

insouciant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By insouciant

@PillClinton: I think of them, so I ask them.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By awesomeusername

I love my Vita. Why?

• The screen is sexy.
    • The touch screen works better then any other touch screen device I've used.
    • Being able to go to the home screen while playing a game is great, so if I need to google a trophy while I'm playing a game, I don't have to quit it!
    • The rear touch pad is neat.
    • The apps (YouTube, Browser, Twitter, Music, Trophies, etc.) work and look great.
    • The PS Store is good.
    • Dual analogs.
    • Speakers are good. Playing music while playing games is also good.
    • The system itself isn't awkward to hold.
    • You can have different wallpapers on each slide, which is awesome.
    • The games are pretty good. Just got the platinum for Gravity Rush, which I love.
    • Has cameras on both sides so I can Skype from my Vita.
    • You can take screenshots.

@EquitasInvictus: Go get that PS+ duder. I've had my Vita for not even 2 months and I have 11-12 games to play. Although 4 of those aren't PS+ games. But I did get them on sale with PS+ which were good deals. At least buy 3 months of it ($18) to try it out. At that price, you're getting $100 worth of games now and even more money in the following 3 months.

GooieGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By GooieGreen

@awesomeusername said:

I love my Vita. Why?

• The screen is sexy.
    • Being able to go to the home screen while playing a game is great, so if I need to google a trophy while I'm playing a game, I don't have to quit it!
    • The apps (YouTube, Browser, Twitter, Music, Trophies, etc.) work and look great.
    • The PS Store is good.
    • Dual analogs.
    • The games are pretty good. Just got the platinum for Gravity Rush, which I love.

@EquitasInvictus: Go get that PS+ duder. I've had my Vita for not even 2 months and I have 11-12 games to play. Although 4 of those aren't PS+ games. But I did get them on sale with PS+ which were good deals. At least buy 3 months of it ($18) to try it out. At that price, you're getting $100 worth of games now and even more money in the following 3 months.

This. Everything this.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TechHits

PS+ is nice, gives you games you might not have otherwise tried.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24  Edited By Sackmanjones

Decided to trade in my wii u for this. The wii u seems cool but it was mostly technology out to get it. I'm mush more of a Sony person and am not a big fan of most Nintendo titles. Any particular games I should pick up? I do have psn+ so excluding that

natedawg_kz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By natedawg_kz

@Sackmanjones: LittleBigPlanet, Escape Plan, PS All-Stars and Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Sackmanjones

How about persona? To be honest I don't really know what kind of game it is but from the reviews it sounds like i may enjoy that

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#27  Edited By DarthOrange

It is a portable PlayStation.  
    It has a sweep of genres playable on it.  
    I had a PSP Go so all my games carried over.  
    PlayStation Plus is awesome. 
    It has a metric ass-ton of games available. 
    Earth Defense Force 2017 Portable and PlayStation All-Stars are the only games I am playing at the moment and I own all the consoles. 
    The internet browser is serviceable.  
    The YouTube app is better then the desktop version of YouTube.
    I download and listen to podcasts on it.  
    Everything is downloaded on it and only a button away (I have a 32 gig card) 
    The interface is nice and so is putting backgrounds.

The Vita is my favorite console at the moment. This little beast does so many things and I use it on a daily basis. I don't have too much time to play on consoles because of school but the Vita is great for pick up and play console quality experiences. It obviously not for everyone but for me it is perfect.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

natedawg_kz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#29  Edited By natedawg_kz

@Sackmanjones: Haha totally forgot about that, I'm actually playing through Persona 3 just now on my Vita, it's incredibly good. It's a deep JRPG with social elements containing awesome characters, if i were to sum it up in one sentence.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mandude

It's a sexy fucking piece of hardware. The library isn't fantastic, but as someone who never owned a PSP, and as someone who has lots of games to replay from the PS1 era, I'm pretty occupied with it.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BlackLagoon

@Sackmanjones: It's a turn-based JRPG with great characters and a fascinating mystery plot. It's a great choice.

If you want a FPS, Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath's a good choice, lots of content for a low price. Knytt Underground is a great metroidvania style platformer.

Also, it's not for everyone, but Earth Defense Force 2017 Portable if you want to blow giant bugs and robots to kingdom come with umpteen different weapons.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @BlackLagoon@natedawg_kz
    Cool thanks for the help. I loved EDF back when I had an Xbox so I could totally see myself picking that up. So far I have the psn titles and mortal kombat because I love the pa3 version so it's an obvious choice.

As for persona 4 I may need to dig deeper into it. I'm really not a jrpg kind of person but things I've heard about it sound really interesting to me. I just don't wanna go on a limb and pick it up. The other game I was thinkin of gettin was the mgs2 and 3 collection. Again I have it in ps3 but still I really enjoyed those games a ton
    handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By handlas

It's a good piece of hardware imo. I like it a lot. Needs more games obviously. I beat Gravity Rush recently and really loved it. I wish there were more games like that. I'm looking forward to Tearaway a whole lot tho.

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jimi

I like it, but there's a severe lack games I would want to play on it, so far Gravity Rush and P4 Golden have been the only real amazing ones. Right now it serves as a monster hunter/psx machine and my 3DS gets a lot more playtime.

Side note: The rear touch pad is fucking dumb and any game that uses it needs an option to turn it off. Just my opinion though.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Spoonman671

My favorite thing about my Vita? Fuck cartridges.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By toowalrus

@awesomeusername said:

I love my Vita. Why?

• The screen is sexy.
    • The PS Store is good.
    • Dual analogs.

Everything this guy said. Like I said a week ago, the fact that the hardware is so awesome makes me incredibly sad that developers aren't making more games for it. Come on... at least port Okami HD over or something.

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By awesomeusername

@TooWalrus: I hear Rockstar is working on some Vita titles. Nothing confirmed though. But the problem seems to be more that developers are making shitty games then anything else. If they would have made an actual good Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed and marketed the hell out of it, I'm sure the Vita would have sold a lot better. But the people working with the Vita are obviously morons.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By RE_Player1

I doesn't feel flimsy. I love my 3DS but that thing feels like a child's toy sometimes. The Vita just feels elegant and sturdy both in terms of build quality and OS. Also games! For as much as people like to dog on the Vita for having no games I have 9 retails carts, 5 retail downloadable games and a bunch of PSN, PSP and PS1 games.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By RE_Player1

@Sackmanjones: If you already have PS+ I'd recommend Persona 4 Golden. Also if you never played the console version I found the Vita version of Rayman Origins to be a delight. It looks so good on that screen.

EDIT: Also LittleBigPlanet for Vita. This is from someone who didn't like the PS3 and PSP versions of the game. The Vita version is so fun and has very unique controls.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By colourful_hippie

Lumines and P4G

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By awesomeusername

@msavo: Is Rayman Vita the exact same game as it is on PS3? As in, are all the levels the same?

I also agree on the feel compared to the 3DS and the games. Only card I own is AC3: L so everything else is downloaded. I have 12 games downloaded on there. 5 of those are PS+, 4 I bought and 3 were free. I never even know what to play because they're all good, fun games. Well, excluding 2 of them (Jet Set Radio & Chronovolt). But the Vita has some good games. I still want a couple more Vita games & I need to start buying PSP and PS1 games.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#42  Edited By kerse

I really like everything about it except the back touch screen and that I can count on one hand the games I like for it.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#43  Edited By Undeadpool

The fact that Sony is too proud to institute a price cut which will most likely damn the system?

Really want to play P4: Golden and several others, but not for over $350 (after memory card).

insouciant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By insouciant

I found out it can do Skype too, but the 3DS can't.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@awesomeusername said:

@msavo: Is Rayman Vita the exact same game as it is on PS3? As in, are all the levels the same?

I also agree on the feel compared to the 3DS and the games. Only card I own is AC3: L so everything else is downloaded. I have 12 games downloaded on there. 5 of those are PS+, 4 I bought and 3 were free. I never even know what to play because they're all good, fun games. Well, excluding 2 of them (Jet Set Radio & Chronovolt). But the Vita has some good games. I still want a couple more Vita games & I need to start buying PSP and PS1 games.

Yes, it's a direct port.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By RE_Player1

@insouciant said:

I found out it can do Skype too, but the 3DS can't.

I've come to the realization that the 3DS will never be good at apps and there is nothing wrong with that as games are why I bought it. Loaded up Netflix on the thing and oh boy did it look like shit.

insouciant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By insouciant

lol

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By awesomeusername

@BestUsernameEver: Well that sucks. Thanks for the answer.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By bemusedchunk

Everything.

My hands aren't number after 15 minutes with it - which is the problem I had with the 3DS.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.