Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

What is your experience with the Memory Cards? (games per GB)

Tumbler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Tumbler

So I've heard several people comment how you need a memory stick for many of the games on the PSV but can someone go into more detail about what you will be able to do with and without a memory card? How far does 8gb get you when you're buying digital games?

Games are sold on the same style memory cards for the PSV I presume? When you save games you need a seperate memory card for those save files? Or it saves it to the game memory stick?

Assuming it saves to a separate memory stick, how much space does it take and at what points would you assume the memory sticks would run out of space?

Just curious how the system uses memory with the different types of content.

And is there a seperate slot for these memory cards and for game cards? Can you use both slots for memory cards and get the system up to 64GB?

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By DeF

game carts and memory cards are separate slots of course. without the memory cards you have NO space to save anything on the device, there is no internal memory.

as Jeff said on the bombcast, most smaller games are around 1.5 gigs and Uncharted is 3.2 gigs if you download them. save games are a few houndred kilobytes but I'm guessing sizes may vary as they do on the PS3

Tumbler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Tumbler

@DeF: So you can play games you buy in stores but you can't save any progress. (if I understand you correctly?)

If you have a memory card do any of the games need anything installed?

Does PSN (SON now?) have demos to download for any of the games?

Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Shakezula84

A small handful of games don't require a memory card and save on the game card. This was originally promised by Sony (they said games would be required to set aside memory on the game card for saves, patches, and DLC. Making the memory cards optional. I don't know what caused the change in policy) but it appears a memory card is required.

Unless your are downloading a lot it seems you can go with the 4 or 8 GB cards (the two that come the 3G versions). If you were planning on downloading a lot and keeping many games on your card, then a 16 or 32 would be good.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By DeF

@Tumbler said:

no idea, I got all my info from the bombcast and other coverage.

btw, it's still PSN, the Sony Entertainment Network is just for the accounts and basically is an invisible change to most users.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By BlatantNinja23

I have the 4 gb right now, and I'm gonna get a 32 GB later... but right now I have Escape Plan, Lumines, and Super Stardust with tons of room extra for some demos or an extra game i may want.

@Tumbler said:

@DeF: So you can play games you buy in stores but you can't save any progress. (if I understand you correctly?)

If you have a memory card do any of the games need anything installed?

yes the games that don't have the space on the card itself have it on the box how much space is required.

games are on flash media so install things of it (unless being allowed to access without the game in the system) would be pointless

and yes there are already some demos. Uncharted, Dungeon Hunter Alliance, Asphalt, Little Deviants, Lumines, and Rayman all have demos. There are things that still don't come out till the 22nd so those may or may not have demos. I know japan got a sound shapes demo so i'm sure we'll get one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.