What would it take for you to buy a Playstation Vita?

• 79 results
#1 Edited by Seppli (9742 posts) -

For me, the same thing it took for me to buy a Playstation 3, an exclusive new IP that's new and fresh and exciting, and right down my alley. That game was Demon's Souls.

Such a game does not yet exist yet for the PSV, nor is it announced (to my limited knowledge). Maybe XCOM : Enemy Unkown, because if that's coming out for PSV, that'd be freaking amazing!

What about you? What'd it take for you to pick up a PSV? A specific game? Or a game that has some kind of je-ne-sais-quoi - you'll know it when you'll see it? A pricecut? The inevitable redesign? A change to a more mobile lifestyle?

#2 Posted by laserbolts (5309 posts) -

A huge price drop. Right now there are no games that make me excited enough to throw down on a vita. If it was 150 or something I would consider it though.

#3 Posted by bobafettjm (1254 posts) -

Price drop for sure. I would love to have one right now, but I can not afford to drop the money they want for it.

#4 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11015 posts) -

It costing a dollar. That's pretty much it.

#5 Posted by NMC2008 (1169 posts) -

The money to do so, I don't have it at this time, but I want one.

#6 Posted by Encephalon (1176 posts) -

I dunno, if it was like $99 with access to the entire PS1 & 2 game library.

#7 Posted by Aarownd (59 posts) -

Well mine was Disgaea 3, that came out and I still don't have one. But if the new Monster Hunter comes out in the US, then I'm buying one as soon as possible.

I also am kind of waiting for the white one, I have the Vader PSP, so I wanna keep that white trend going. I also bought a white PSP Go. And I loved that thing, then I broke it. I seemed to be the only person who loved his go, but boy did I love that thing.

#8 Posted by Gerhabio (1969 posts) -

Being able to get access to the majority of the PS2 library for cheap. 5 dlls per game, since they are old games after all.

#9 Posted by Patman99 (1544 posts) -

I would buy it in a heartbeat if it had some games that I might want to play. I will buy any piece of hardware regardless of price (within reason) if it has a stable of good games that I am willing to play. And by good games I mean exclusives that I could only get through that piece of kit. Monster Hunter, a Metal Gear game, or a good RPG would all be things that would make me seriously consider the Vita

#10 Posted by niamahai (1402 posts) -

boobs i guess.

#11 Posted by aurahack (2229 posts) -

USB drive access. Make it work like a PSP.

I borrowed my friend's Vita and tried to put video on the thing to watch on my commute to school, only to find out it's the most archaic, backwards-ass, unfriendly, piece of shit process ever conceived. It's like I was operating a fucking RCA MP3 player from 2002 or something. Make it function like a fucking device from present times and maybe I'd consider getting one.

Because I did actually really like playing games on it. Lumines is fun as fuck.
#12 Posted by pyromagnestir (3962 posts) -

Someone paying me more money than it costs to buy a Playstation Vita to buy a Playstation Vita.

@niamahai said:

boobs i guess.

uh... this might work too. I'm not proud of that, damnit, but it might...

#13 Posted by mrfizzy (1464 posts) -

A massive price drop and access to PS1 and PS2 games for cheaps (like maybe a few dollars each). Those two things would get me to seriously look into getting one. A few great exclusives would probably seal the deal as long as I could get the money together.

#14 Posted by Dixavd (1133 posts) -

The first thing that has to happen before I even consider it is it has to cost less than a PS3...

#15 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1522 posts) -

Apparently nothing because I bought one on day one because I buy everything on day one because I am a sucker who hates money. But, really, I bought the system for three games; it didn't matter if the system was a failure, as long as those three games came out, the system would serve its purpose for me. Those three games being:

#16 Edited by Dethfish (3590 posts) -

I actually bought one today. The desire to play Persona 4 Golden was too high and that's what made me cave. I know it's probably one of the dumbest purchases I've ever made though. I bought an expensive, dying handheld system so I could play an updated PS2 game that I've already played twice. Whatever though, I think everyone makes dumb purchases once in a while. Also, I think I can play Persona 3 Portable on it, so that could be awesome. I've heard good things about P3 but never actually had a chance to play it.

I probably could of waited at least a couple of months to see if there's a price drop or redesign (or my most dreadful fear, a P4G themed Vita and/or bundle), but I knew I had the extra money now to afford it, can't guarantee the same thing in a couple of months.

#17 Posted by _Chad (957 posts) -

I bought one because I do  a lot of waiting in my car when I take my brother places and need something to do. So I took the plunge. I'm really excited for Persona 4 Golden and AC3 Liberation. 

#18 Posted by AngelN7 (2959 posts) -

A price drop and games that I'm interested in playing like a Dissidia , Persona , Valkyria Chronicles . I bought a PSP when it had enough games I wanted to play and was significantly cheaper well worth the wait , also I agree XCOM: Enemy Unknown in the Vita would be kinda cool I can see a game like that fitting the Vita playstyle.

#19 Posted by avidwriter (667 posts) -

For it to come with free games for life. I got a PSP and I still have games I haven't played yet. Not making that mistake again.

#20 Posted by probablytuna (3445 posts) -

Well, I guess the hype.. I'm a sucker for Sony. I bought it back in January with Ultimate Marvel VS. Capcom 3 even though I'm not a big fan of fighting games as well as Ninja Gaiden Sigma even though I owned the PS3 version but lost the disc a while back. And for the past six months that's all I really had because I was waiting for Gravity Rush (and even though I have it right next to me, the reviews have kinda killed the excitement I had). However a few days ago I went crazy and bought Final Fantasy I, II, VI and Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together on PSN and transferred it onto the Vita.

#21 Posted by MonetaryDread (1955 posts) -

@aurahack said:

I borrowed my friend's Vita and tried to put video on the thing to watch on my commute to school, only to find out it's the most archaic, backwards-ass, unfriendly, piece of shit process ever conceived. It's like I was operating a fucking RCA MP3 player from 2002 or something. Make it function like a fucking device from present times and maybe I'd consider getting one.

Unfortunately piracy is a concern for Sony so that will never happen. Their devices are locked-down and proprietary from now on. Their system will be hacked eventually, but at the moment things are just too expensive and difficult for the average hacker to get things going. As long as things are difficult for the hackers, Sony will never let you use the Vita the way you want them to. One could even say that Sony is so scared of hackers that you could potentially call people like SKFU, Davee, and Geohot terrorists.

To answer the OP's question though. I won't buy a Vita until I can install a CFW (custom firmware) on the system. I don't like supporting companies that develop closed systems like the Vita or iPhone. Although I might be tempted to pick up a Vita when NIS released Disgaea 4 on the system. That game was deep as fuck and i wanna get me some on Vita.

#22 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6375 posts) -

For me to actually need it. My lifestyle doesn't lend itself to buying portable console platforms very often at all.

#23 Edited by Grilledcheez (3919 posts) -

Cheaper and with hot shots bundled in.

#24 Posted by believer258 (11046 posts) -

A $100 price drop, a decent amount of included storage, and most importantly a few good games.

#25 Posted by Addfwyn (1914 posts) -

I bought one day 1, but my reasons were pretty straightforward.

I prefer handhelds, much like everyone in Japan. A lot of commute time, handhelds are ideal.

I prefer the Vita to the 3DS because of region lock issues, and I do a lot of international travel.

PSP was probably my favourite/most used system of last generation. It had easily some of the best games and was the bastion of good RPGs. I had hope (and so far have not been disappointed) that the Vita would continue that trend.

#26 Posted by ShadowKnight508 (659 posts) -

A price drop and Kingdom Hearts III being wishfully announced for it.

#27 Posted by aurahack (2229 posts) -

@MonetaryDread: That's a bullshit stance on it. Hackers will eventually get through and when they do, they'll open drive access to it. Sony will, of course, continue to not offer it as an option post-hacking, and any owner will then be encouraged to hack their system to have it work like a proper technological device should. They are encouraging the very thing they're trying to prevent through archaic, unfriendly solutions.

The solution is to make a system that functions as it should from the outset, not make something that's even worse than iTunes.

#28 Posted by prestonhedges (1965 posts) -

A shitload of cocaine.

#29 Edited by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

That moment when I decent library of games I want - at least 5 games I genuinely want to play, all being JRPG (originals preferably, not ports of PS3 games, but some classics remade are fine), and a price I believe is reasonable (it is $350 Wi-Fi version here, so at least no more than $250). I don't see that happening until at leat a years time. Believe it, I will get one, but I waited 4 years to join the PS3 brigade, so I am a patient gamer.

#30 Posted by deox (210 posts) -

It would have to be much cheaper and have more games that I'm actually interested in.

#31 Posted by BigDaddy81 (310 posts) -

This: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118320-Gearbox-Wants-Another-Dev-to-Make-Borderlands-2-Vita

If Gearbox can find a way to port Borderlands 2 to the Vita, I will buy that damn thing in a heartbeat. Don't care about any kind of integration with the PS3 like the article suggests, I just want Borderlands on a portable system. Jesus, I would play the fuck out of that game. I wouldn't need to buy another handheld game ever again....... unless they release Borderlands 3 on a portable system.

#32 Posted by Morrow (1828 posts) -

I already bought one, but I'd wish for more RPGs.

#33 Posted by onarum (1946 posts) -

Monster Hunter 4

#34 Edited by MonetaryDread (1955 posts) -

@aurahack said:

@MonetaryDread: That's a bullshit stance on it. Hackers will eventually get through and when they do, they'll open drive access to it. Sony will, of course, continue to not offer it as an option post-hacking, and any owner will then be encouraged to hack their system to have it work like a proper technological device should. They are encouraging the very thing they're trying to prevent through archaic, unfriendly solutions.

The solution is to make a system that functions as it should from the outset, not make something that's even worse than iTunes.

You can say the same thing about any anti-piracy measure, yet it is a necessity. Most everybody at the top making big decisions do not understand that; all they understand is that USB access was used to pirate games, and they believe that piracy killed the previous handheld.

#35 Posted by BradGrenz (57 posts) -

@aurahack said:

It's not actually that hard. The trick is basically creating a directory on your PC specifically for stuff you want to copy to your Vita and to point the helper app at that instead of the folder where you keep the rest of your files. Then just drag and drop anything you want to copy to your Vita (exactly like you would have directly to the PSP) to that temp folder. Load up the Content Manager app on Vita, go to the video section hit select all and copy. Do he same for pictures and music. The only downside is the disk space temporarily need to duplicate the files in a second locaction on your computer, but you can delete them after the copy finishes. They don't need to still be there when you reconnect.

#36 Posted by DoctorTran (1526 posts) -

A price comparable to the 3DS.

#37 Posted by Marz (5608 posts) -

What would get me to buy a Vita? a price drop.

#38 Posted by Captain_Insano (1514 posts) -

A gift card which I could ONLY redeem for a PS Vita.

#39 Posted by Sayishere (1838 posts) -

Persona 4 golden

#40 Posted by ValiantGrizzly (498 posts) -

Persona.

Plus price drop.

#41 Posted by HatKing (5567 posts) -

Either a large price drop or a lot more disposable income. haha... Honestly, I'm thinking about picking up a 3DS right now. MK is the only thing tempting me to swing the other way.

#42 Posted by Orbitz89 (229 posts) -

@Addfwyn said:

I bought one day 1, but my reasons were pretty straightforward.

I prefer handhelds, much like everyone in Japan. A lot of commute time, handhelds are ideal.

I prefer the Vita to the 3DS because of region lock issues, and I do a lot of international travel.

PSP was probably my favourite/most used system of last generation. It had easily some of the best games and was the bastion of good RPGs. I had hope (and so far have not been disappointed) that the Vita would continue that trend.

I'm going to have to agree with you here. I also prefer handheld gaming devices to be honest and the PSP was a really great system for me.. I bought a Vita a while ago and haven't been disappointed yet. MGS HD collection is taking up most of my game time right now. Jeez, I guess I should have been born in Japan instead of North America. ( I can't exactly afford to move there lol )

#43 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

More games than just Persona 4 that interest me.

#44 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

Nothing. I'm not a fan of handheld gaming, so there's not much that can be done to make me buy it.

#45 Posted by Kear (109 posts) -

Persona 5, vita exclusive. I would get so mad, then just sigh and give them my money.

#46 Posted by supamon (1327 posts) -

Monster Hunter 4.

#47 Posted by geirr (2381 posts) -

If a friend offered me a mint one for $100 then I'd consider it.

#48 Posted by DeF (4692 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

A huge price drop. Right now there are no games that make me excited enough to throw down on a vita. If it was 150 or something I would consider it though.

Same here.

The only interesting games so far are the little PSN titles that could've been on PSP just as well mostly. I see myself getting one later rather than sooner but I'll eventually get one (I just bought a PSP from a friend who never used his last year).

Devs need to learn the same thing they needed to learn with the PSP, though: no console games for handhelds! 40minute MGS cut scenes on a handheld are horrible. Some kind of Dark Souls-type game or so that can be played in small chunks works a lot better in these cases.

#49 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1543 posts) -

Video out and controller support.

#50 Posted by Revan_NL (326 posts) -

A price drop, both for the system and the insanely overpriced memorycards

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.