Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

What's the Deal with Digital Games?

realph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By realph

So, I was a little disappointed when it was announced that the Vita's games would ship on carts/cards, especially since the iPhone/iPad have proven there's a better system out there, but I guess that argument is for a different post. So, I ask, what's the deal with the Vita's digital releases? Will every game launch on the store the same day they hit store shelves? The reason I ask is because I only plan to buy a Vita if Sony can promise me a digital-only solution. That means the Vita's full library of games, with no strings attached. Obviously there are certain strings attached, and they're already in place: proprietary memory cards for one, and the 10% PSN discount on digital Vita games is lost when you factor in the price of these expensive storage devices. I thought I'd ask the question anyway to see what's what. Any help on the situation is appreciated.

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By emergency

I'm nearly positive that every game will be on the store on the same day as it the games launches.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

realph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By realph

That's awesome news Lego! Now if Sony would just sort out the pricing of digital games, memory cards, I'd rush out and buy one.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By BlatantNinja23

it does bum me out to see the 32 gig cost $99 when you can get a 32 gig micro sd for like 35. Then again the speeds are pretty slow compared to others and maybe the speed on these are significantly better. Which then ya makes them "worth" that much. I ended "caving" and getting the first edition so since that comes with a card ill wait out and see if the cards ever are sold cheaper anywhere. I don't need to keep games on the device I've already beaten. It's nice to see the digital version for some games getting a price cut, but some of the price cuts have been out down by amazon.

Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By Shakezula84

Sony has said digital releases of games will be cheaper and any retail release will release online too.

However in a side by side video, the retail copy loads faster then the digital version. So its a mixed bag on the one to get.

9999dmg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By 9999dmg

@BlatantNinja23: The 32g card pays for itself after you buy TWENTY $50 games digitally.

kpaadet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kpaadet

All Vita games will be on PSN, though not all Vita games will have a physical version.

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By lord_canti

3 things

1 its a mandate from Sony that all games will be on the PSN same day

2 the memory cards are the exact same price as the psp and if you get all games digitally like i am the difference will be made up eventually, i think in the case of the 16 gb its in around 10 games due to the 10% reduction in price (and if a console doesn't have 10 games over its lifespan that you want dam its fucked, but im currently at 14-17 that i want so im good )

3 if you live in the UK/Europe some games that will get cart releases everywhere else will be digital only gravity rush and escape plan for example

biospank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By biospank

In japan its day and day on psn and reatail. thats how I picked up tales and ragnarok odessey, thank you psn store.

Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Shakezula84

Hopefully digital sales are happening in Japan. Software sales aren't that stellar and the attach rate at least a month ago was .9 (so for every Vita bought, .9 games are sold). Hopefully this means potentially strong digital sales already.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BlatantNinja23

@9999dmg: I doubt ill buy 20 games.... I'll also end up buying the 32 gb card

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By OllyOxenFree

I think I'm a crazy person for still preferring physical boxed copies. The box art can just look so pretty sometimes...

Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Shakezula84
    @OllyOxenFree not crazy at all. When I was a kid the first thing I would do with new games was read the manual cover to cover and completely absorb the box.
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Enigma777

@Shakezula84 said:

@OllyOxenFree not crazy at all. When I was a kid the first thing I would do with new games was read the manual cover to cover and completely absorb the box.

I used to do that too. Usually on the drive back home.

Now... I can't even remember the last time I cracked open a manual (if there even is one). I think my last one was Demon's Souls? Yeah, that was it cause it had these stupid symbols to represent the different stats but nowhere in the game did it tell you what they actually meant.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.