Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

Why do people hate the Vita so much?

• 93 results
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#51  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Only person I've heard talk about it who actually hates it is Gary Whitta who actively seems to want it to fail for some reason.

The Vita's a beautiful piece of hardware. It just needs the software to go with it.

superst3ve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By superst3ve

Working full time and doing my masters part time has pretty much taken my big screen game time to an hour or two at most per week. I picked up a Vita around launch and have had an awesome experience with it. When I'm on lunch at work I can play console experience type games for up to an hour, same thing when I'm waiting for class to start after work. While that's not a lot of game time, the ability to pick up and put down makes getting into a game a snap, and over a week or two I'll pretty much beat a game.

So far, I've played through Uncharted, Rayman: Origins, Mortal Kombat, Resistance, 55+ hours in Monster Hunter FU, and about to finish up Gravity Rush. Then it's on to playing through Metal Gear 2 & 3 again with the new collection pack. There's an awesome amount of good portable experiences to be had on the Vita, and if it weren't for this system, I'd have no game time except for playing simple time wasters on my Android.

Edit: I completely forgot to mention points games like Lumines, Super Stardust, Tales from Space, and Motorstorm RC; all of which I still regularly play in attempt to stay atop the leaderboards with people on my friends lists.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#53  Edited By BlackLagoon

@Bawlsz said:

I mean is that they don't seem to care about it, like the Move, it feels like they've forgotten about it, there was allot of hype before the release, now that they've released it, it's all pretty quiet like the Move.

I don't really see where this perception comes from, unless, I guess, you believe that their E3 press conference is the sole expression of Sony's intentions. There was lots of Vita stuff in the videos they released from E3, and they're constantly talking about it on the Playstation Blog and Podcast. And while they can't force 3rd parties to do Vita exclusives, they are obviously making it very easy for them to do dual PS3/Vita releases... I believe they're even lending out Vita devkits to smaller developers who can't afford to invest in one themselves. Hardly the actions of a company that has forgotten about it's own product.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#54  Edited By asurastrike

@The_Nubster said:

I think everyone is against it kind of for the same reason that everyone was against the PSP. While the tech is really impressive and capable, it's trying to deliver a console experience on a handheld, which most people don't want. Put that on top of a silly, silly UI, and it just isn't tickling most people's fancies.

I really like the UI. Much more than the XMB or 360 Dashboard.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#55  Edited By Rowr

I love the vita, i just got mine last week and it's far better than I expected, there's some cheap quality pickup and play titles like Motorstorm RC and About a Blob. Not to mention a back library of cheap PSP titles where there are a few gems.

I have to admit I was a little shy about it given that i was burned on the original PSP being a bit of a Dud, but the lineup of games so far for the VITA is solid - i'm just hoping they can maintain the quality.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By Doctorchimp

@AcidBrandon18 said:

I love mine, yet everyone seems to be against it. Do you think the Vita is viable in the era of the iphone and Angry Birds?

Great, I don't want to sit in my house with the Vita hooked up to the wall playing on a small screen when I can use my PC or my HDTV to play the actual PS3.

I don't think I've ever just found myself waiting outside for a long stretch of time, when am I supposed to play this thing? When I'm driving around? When I'm in class? When I'm working? When I'm hanging out with friends? Also how am I supposed to lug this thing around? Phone, wallet, and keys man, if you ask me to carry something else I'm gonna forget something.

I don't hate the Vita, it's just not a system for me and totally something that would be a waste. Also it sucks I'm not gonna play Persona 4 golden. Thanks Atlus!

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#57  Edited By egg

@AcidBrandon18 said:

Do you think the Vita is viable in the era of the iphone and Angry Birds?

I honestly wonder if maybe Vita (or rather than idea of selling handheld titles for 40 USB a pop) is not viable anymore.

But I don't hate the Vita and I think gamers give it a hard time just because it's a handheld, and they are very iffy on playing console titles on handheld. (which is understandable)

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#58  Edited By TehFlan

I don't hate it, but I already have a PSP and a 3DS, and there really aren't any games for it that make it a must-have.

swfcfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#59  Edited By swfcfan

Question : Why do people hate the Vita so much?

Answer : jealousy (A.K.A Nintendo fanboyz who have not got a Vita only a kiddy 3DS)

SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#60  Edited By SpudBug

No, people dont' hate it - there's just a very common narrative among mainstream media that praises social, mobile, and casual gaming while talking about how traditional gaming is on the decline.

I feel like people either love it or hate it. I like mine, however - I will LOVE it when they make PSOne games playable on it.

Don't listen to what CNN and Forbes and CNet have to say about the gaming industry. They're much more interested in talking up facebook and cell phone games because thats what they think their readers are interested in.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#61  Edited By JasonR86

Good Lord.

EDIT:

I also want to add who fucking cares if someone else hates something or not. The people who legitimately hate the Vita (and if they do what the fuck is wrong with them? It's a piece of hardware for God's sake) are rare. They won't impact the Vita's success as a whole to a large degree. So who fucking cares? Not everyone needs to like the same things.

Ugh.

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By InfiniteGeass

They only hate it because Persona 4 Golden isn't out yet.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally, I tried out a friends and I wasn't that impressed. The face buttons are a lot smaller than I thought they were and the way you need to hold it for some games so it doesn't pick up the back touch panel is quite awkward.

But I'm also not a handheld person, nothing about gaming on the go appeals to me, so I am also not their target audience.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#64  Edited By TheHBK

No games, too big, the buttons are too small. I like the analog sticks. It is just that they took the same approach they did with the PS3, trying to load it with so many things that they might not get used. The back touch panel, the front camera, the memory cards are too expensive. Also they need to have more 5 dollar 99cent games on there since the tech is there for the games the iphone has.

But the games man, the games. There is nothing I would buy the system for and no combo of any games. The 3DS gives you different Nintendo games that you don't find on the Wii and in 3D which I like though that doesn't sell me on it. But I am saying, the games on the Vita are too much like what you get on the PS3, just with touch and tilt features added. What if we got uncharted, but Metroid style?

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By korwin

No reason to hate it, it's just poorly supported.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By tim_the_corsair

I don't hate it; I'd have to care about it at all to hate it.

Handhelds are relics

i8246i

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By i8246i

@Sooty said:

It's just the herp derp smartphone gamers that are ragging on it. Everybody else saying it's dead should just shut the fuck up and see how it is a year down the line, because no console starts off very strong, the Dreamcast did the opposite.

Considering Sony itself decided to mostly ignore the device at this year's Sony press conference (I guess they didn't want to eat into all that precious "Wonderbooks" time)....I don't see how the "herp derp smartphone guys" have any reason to not rag on it.

Its far too large to be a pocket system, and still has a smudge-loving screen...I want to know how many people who didn't pay extra for some sort of carrying case have scratched it as well....or have ruined the joysticks.

There's few games for the system, and so far the ones released have consisted of quite a few sequels/ports of existing console games. On the subject of "portable console games", the system cannot pull off PS3-level graphics, and the buttons on the system feel...kinda cheap. Touch screens on the front and back just scream gimmicks!

The UI is...annoying.

And for games that come on solid-state memory devices, there is far too much loading going on.

There's also the downright criminal prices that Sony is charging people for *proprietary memory sticks*. Its not even like the PSP, where you can use these sticks in other Sony devices...you buy them for your Vita and use them for NOTHING ELSE.

Now, with all that negative stuff out of the way: The system has potential: no other handheld system has the graphics, the physical controls, and the strong gaming-centered company behind them like the Vita does.

I can't hate a system that has so much promise....I'm just disappointed that no game developer has seen this promise and has come forward with any "killer" apps.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Sooty

@i8246i said:

@Sooty said:

It's just the herp derp smartphone gamers that are ragging on it. Everybody else saying it's dead should just shut the fuck up and see how it is a year down the line, because no console starts off very strong, the Dreamcast did the opposite.

Considering Sony itself decided to mostly ignore the device at this year's Sony press conference (I guess they didn't want to eat into all that precious "Wonderbooks" time)....I don't see how the "herp derp smartphone guys" have any reason to not rag on it.

Its far too large to be a pocket system, and still has a smudge-loving screen...I want to know how many people who didn't pay extra for some sort of carrying case have scratched it as well....or have ruined the joysticks.

There's few games for the system, and so far the ones released have consisted of quite a few sequels/ports of existing console games. On the subject of "portable console games", the system cannot pull off PS3-level graphics, and the buttons on the system feel...kinda cheap. Touch screens on the front and back just scream gimmicks!

The UI is...annoying.

Other games were around for the Vita at E3, just because Sony didn't focus on it doesn't mean a lot at this point, it's surprising, but not inherently a sign of death or failure.

It's not too large to be a pocket system, it isn't even that much bigger than a 3DS. It easily fits into my pockets and I don't even wear big jeans, my phone has a 4" screen and there's also still plenty of space.

As for the screen then eh well whatever, welcome to touchscreens? My iPad loves to smudge, so does my phone, this is nothing new. You have to wipe them clean from time to time and in daylight turn up the brightness to compensate. The Vita looks a little worse for smudges because it uses an OLED screen, my phone suffers from the same fate, brightness has to go up a lot to compensate it. The amazing black levels and colours come at a cost, such is OLED technology. Still take it over the 3DS' screen anytime.

There's quite a lot of games for the system, sure not many in ways of exclusives but at least it has games unlike the 3DS this time one year ago. P4G is coming and that'll be the finest handheld game in quite some time. It has pretty much just as good a line up of games as the 3DS now does, and the 3DS has been out for over a year. Not bad.

No it's not PS3 level graphics, if you actually thought that was going to happen then you're very silly and it's your own fault in reality. It does pull off console level graphics, the Wii is a console is it not? and it looks better than that. The Vita isn't even that far off a 360 or PS3, yes there's a gap, but it's far closer to looking like those than the Wii is.

It's smartphones and tablets that can't pull off console level playing experiences due to the on-screen joysticks and buttons.

So again, the Vita is going to be fine. I don't understand how people can be so negative when it's so early on. Maybe you guys should go back and relive the PSP and 3DS launch line ups.

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By emergency

I don't know why I ever bother reading these threads, I know the major complaint "Hurr durr, no gaimes, bad support!!". Regardless of how many times it has been clarified, the Vita is in a much stronger position games wise than the 3DS was. It's early days and very promising for the future.

hughesman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By hughesman

I like mine.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By devilzrule27

I just bought my Vita today. Got myself Escape Plan, Mutant Blob, and MLB 12. Also downloaded a bunch of 1-3 dollar minis. I must say there are a few good ones available which surprised me. Played it all day and I must say I love the thing. If they update the browser and add more multimedia apps it may just supplant my iphone as my portable media device. The screen is gorgeous.

excido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#72  Edited By excido

I think the Vita is great. I have an amazing gaming PC and a PS3 at home yet now as an adult with a 3.5 year old it's tough to find time to game in front of the tv. I find that I can still get my game on using handhelds like the Vita far more easily. It also allows me to game on train rides. It's a great device. There is definitely a place for it in my life.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Deusx

@Jack268 said:

GOD DAMNIT YOU BEAT ME TO IT. I LOVE YOU AND HATE YOU AT THE SAME TIME.

To give you a more interesting response: because I already have a fucking awesome 3DS with lots of cool games and some exciting stuff coming in the next months. Vita has NOTHING. Also because everything the vita has I can already play it on my PS3 or my PC.

No Caption Provided

Notice how most upcoming PSVita titles are japanese titles that clearly aren´t going to get localized.

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#74  Edited By mtcantor

I think it's the best handheld gaming device that's ever been released.

Shame there aren't more (and better) games for it at the moment.

dogbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#75  Edited By dogbox

Love the actual system itself, but there's no denying the offerings for it are thin for now. There's a few I'm really looking forward to, though - Persona 4: Golden (of course), Sound Shapes, and New Little King's Story especially. I may also buy a few upcoming games for the Vita instead of console, like Sly Cooper 4 or Zone of the Enders HD, just because it's a pleasure to use.

In the meantime, a lot of the offerings already available can be found super cheap. I picked up MK9 Vita for like 12 bucks new just yesterday. It's rough right now, but far from terrible.

GooieGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By GooieGreen

I love my Vita. Whether I'm playing a game that is a port or playing something new, I enjoy playing games on that system. I'm looking forward to more games coming out, for sure, but the ones I have now are littered with trophies for me to hunt and other in-game challenges to keep me busy.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By toowalrus

No games. I'll probably buy when when P4 and Assassin's Creed come out.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By FluxWaveZ

The Vita's a brilliant piece of hardware, but there are no freaking games for it and it doesn't seem like Sony cares right now. A pity.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By MiniPato

Got a Vita 2 weeks ago. I have MGS HD collection on it and that's about it, planning on getting Gravity Rush. Yeah, it's impressive to be playing MGS2 and 3 on a handheld, but the novelty wears off after a while. Especially when you're forced to use rear and front touch to do certain things.

There are just so few games coming out. And as excited as I am for P4: Golden, I would much rather there be more original games for the Vita instead of condensed versions/sequels of games we've played on home consoles. Mini Uncharted and Mini Assassin's Creed 3 doesn't make me excited.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Vonocourt

I don't hate it, but since I just bought a 3ds, gonna wait a bit for a price drop and/or some more games that interest me before considering it.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Zella

Pretty terrible selection of Vita games at the moment. I expect for the opinion on it to change once the AC bundle comes out because I've heard lots of people say they are waiting for it and with it coming out near holiday season it should have a good sales boost convincing devs to actually make games for it.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By bacongames

I think because it represents Sony not really adapting to anything and just implementing the same strategy that barely worked for them last time with the PSP. Personally I can't stand the idea that a platform is offering sub-par experiences of the same kinds of games I could be playing at home on a big screen with the best features available technically. I think there's something to be said about handheld gaming that is tailored uniquely to its design like touch games for iPad or games that utilize the dual screens on a Nintendo handheld. Sure the Vita can do touch but there's already way more development and creative focus on iOS and Android proper to leave anything meaningful for touch-only on the PSV.

But really though the "sub-par" thing I'm referring to wouldn't really exist if the slew of games offered were good enough or unique enough where that comparison is irrelevant. The PSP got their eventually with a few games making me wish I could nick one on the cheap and play some old games. But at this point, when the PSV doesn't show any real game library and it reflects Sony not being forward thinking, it makes it look bad.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Vextroid

I came real close to buying one today. The price is still holding me back a bit (that and having to a buy a required peripheral just to get full functionality).

Any word of an incoming price drop?

GooieGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By GooieGreen

@Vextroid: I doubt there will be a price drop anytime soon, but there might be a holiday bundle considering the Assassin's Creed deal (the fancy white system, AC game, and a 4GB memory card for $250)

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Nottle

I kind of hope there will be a price drop so i can play Persona 1 and 2 as well as Tactics ogre.

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#86  Edited By tmthomsen

I don't hate it. I'm most of all just really indifferent towards it and I can't see what it has to offer when I already own a smartphone and a PC.

I tried Little Big Planet on Vita some months ago and I found it extremly clunky to wield and the touch-field on the back didn't seem to work right.

ProfessorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#87  Edited By ProfessorK

I see it as more of a resounding "I don't really need this" than a hate thing. Personally I liked the PSP(I played the shit out of MH) and am waiting on Dragon's Crown before I buy a Vita. And since it has been delayed till next year the Vita will be even cheaper when I buy it.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By NMC2008

I don't use handhelds and have never owned one but the Vita WAS!!! going to be my first but I swiftly changed my mind for some reason. It's the second handheld I considered buying, the first being the PSP.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @AcidBrandon18 said:

I love mine, yet everyone seems to be against it. Do you think the Vita is viable in the era of the iphone and Angry Birds?

I'm not against it but not I don't think it is particularly viable in the iPhone era. 

I don't know a single friend with a son or daughter that has ever mentioned wanting one. Most of them want iPods, some of them want 3DSs but none of them seem to care the slightest about the Vita. On top of that, most parents I know (myslef included) are way more into the idea of spending 20 dollars on 10-15 games than spending 40 on one regardless of "depth". 
    Lava

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#90  Edited By Lava

I really like mine too. I think the biggest problem right now is the lack of games. I am really hoping for some stuff to turn out great this holiday season. ACIII looks promising and I hope LBP Vita turns out good. I'm sure they have more planned, it is just taking people a while to develop for something brand new. Here's hoping some great games come out for it soon. Like they said on the Bombcast this week, Sony is busy trying to get people to develop for it instead of developing games for it.

beepmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By beepmachine

I don't hate the machine itself, I think it's really good. But I kinda hate Sony for even releasing it and not supporting it. I don't regret buying one because I have used it quite a bit, especially when I went to PAX east this year. Lumines, Super Stardust, Rayman Origins, and Mutant Blobs Attack are all I have for it, but I've played them all a lot.

Sony keeps going on about "there's a Modern Warfare coming" and "there's an Assassin's Creed coming" but I'm not really interested in playing those franchises any more. Even the small amount of original ip's on the vita so far are pretty high quality, there just needs to be more.

Side note: My friend and I both have a Vita, and while at PAX east this year, with 75 000 people over three days, we saw one other vita. We probably saw several thousand DS's. He spent all three days trying to find someone to play multiplayer lumines with. It never happened.

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By musclerider

NGP - No Games Portable.

krisgebis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By krisgebis

@i8246i said:

... No it's not PS3 level graphics, if you actually thought that was going to happen then you're very silly and it's your own fault in reality. It does pull off console level graphics, the Wii is a console is it not? and it looks better than that. The Vita isn't even that far off a 360 or PS3, yes there's a gap, but it's far closer to looking like those than the Wii is.

It's smartphones and tablets that can't pull off console level playing experiences due to the on-screen joysticks and buttons.

So again, the Vita is going to be fine. I don't understand how people can be so negative when it's so early on. Maybe you guys should go back and relive the PSP and 3DS launch line ups.

Would he be stupid? PS3 level graphics on the go was Sonys own sellingpoint of the Vita. So you are telling us that it is stupid to believe what Sony tells us?

Yup, smartphones and tablets can't pull of console experiences. BUT THAT IS THE POINT. Most people don't want a watered down console experiece, they wan't a tailered experience to the situations they are in. Small games that are quick to pickup and put down. When the games come for Vita (and they will) the best case scenario is a new PSP. And the PSP didn't win against the DS for a reason.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.