Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation VR

Accessory »

PlayStation VR, formerly known as Project Morpheus, is a virtual reality headset developed by Sony for the PlayStation 4.

Are you getting PSVR now? (On or close to launch)

• 56 results
    FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Are you getting PSVR now? (On or close to launch) (336 votes)

Yah 20%
    Nah 80%

I know I shouldn't but I reeeaaallly want to get PSVR tomorrow. I'm not buying an expensive, capable PC and an expensive headset for better VR. At least not any time soon. PSVR seems like a good affordable VR experience, of course with no games right now other than a demo disc but it looks so cool. I fear I'm just gonna give in this week. What about everyone else?

• 
    LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By LeStephan

Can not fucking wait either hihihi. Hope the tracking works satisfactory, thats the only thing im kinda woried about. Although looking at sonys help page (didnt exist yet at the time of GBs stream) for psvr totally makes it sound like at least jeffs unit with the world constantly swimming in-out is a defective unit that should be send back to sony(But jeff said they did have contact with sony about the issues they had afterwards and sony apparently barely responded, so weird).

I can only buy the headset + Move controllers atm but I get a double paycheck next week AND I have taken a week off work that same week (REALLY needed to do that anyways) so I'll have plenty of time and money to waste. Im interested in pretty much all the release titles presuming they all work properly as well so thats already a LOT of stuff I'd like to try .Sucks that games like battlezone and rigs are full price. And that harmonix thing looks really cool but 30 bucks?

Edit: Heres a link to the sony help page that basically describes all of the problems occuring on GB's stream and that you should send the headset back for repairs if their solutions dont help.

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/get-help/help-library/playstation-vr/getting-started/ps-vr--tracking-issues/

Jeff and Brad tried all that right? sooooo.....

The developers of Headmaster also tweeted out they had never seen psvr headsets act like Jeffs and Brads...

Well, we will see when more people get their hands on it I guess.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm interested in it, but I can wait a while. I'd much rather get it when there's more games for it.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was kinda getting into the VR hype with the Vive stream, but since I couldn't afford both upgrading my PC and buying the headset, I thought that I'd maybe jump in with the PSVR.

I'm not exactly swimming in money right now either, but I maybe could've spoiled myself by buying something fancy to brighten up the fall evenings. Then the GB stream happened and pretty much completely soured me on the whole thing, so...eh. If they manage to iron things out and more games besides Job Simulator seem like worth playing (pref more than one other good game...), I might reconsider when I get my tax refunds.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll wait for the general concesus on the thing, if it's overall positive I'll get it when they releas the full bundle with the camera and controllers. Otherwise I'll probably skip it. So, please be test subjects so I get some data to work with.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5  Edited By Castiel

Oh no. No, no, no, no. Nope!

But I should also say that I'm not getting any of the VR headsets any time soon.

Edit: Also, what's up with the frames around avatars?

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#6  Edited By isomeri

I'm not buying into any sort of VR for a good year at least. In fact, looking at some potential upcoming purchases lined up for the next few years here, I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a 4K TV and screen, a new PC and maybe the "Scorpio" before a VR headset. And there's no way in hell that I'm buying more than two of the aforementioned things in one year.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By ShaggE

Even if I had the money, no. I want one (or at least, *one* of the VR solutions out there), but as it is right now, it's too damn janky for the price. I get motion sick fairly easy, and if even Jeff was suffering from that persistent wiggle, I'd be a mess.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
    deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'll wait for a while until more games come out that I'm interested in.

@castiel said:

Edit: Also, what's up the the frames around avatars?

Woah I haven't even noticed that. And it's only on certain avatars?

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I am going to get one, probably before the end of the year. I wasn't a crazy person and preordered it or anything. I've been trying to rationalize the $500 by cutting down on some other "things" I spend money on. I have the money and I'll probably get one when I come across it at a store at some point in the nesxt month or two. I'm hoping next time I go over to costco they'll have some kind of great bundle, which they sometimes have.

My 2 big concerns are games, and quality of the camera/move controllers. I'm hoping ps plus will drop a vr title every month or at least a few now and than. I'm also counting on my roommate and friends wanting to try it and hopefully wanting to try other games which they can pitch in towards. As for the camera and move controllers, if sony sells lots of these units, which they will, hopefully they'll come out with an updated camera and controller next year or so.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

It would be a lot more of an easy buy if they'd done the same official bundle in Europe as the US (there is no headset+camera+2xMove+VR Worlds pack in offer here).

But I'm curious and already have the PS4 so I'm going to give it a shot and use the consumer protections available to ensure I don't get stuck with defective device (or not satisfactory to my DK2-owning eyes - I know what sub-mm tracking is possible with a $350 VR headset, I've got one hooked up to my PC right now but it definitely doesn't have Rez coming out this week).

There's a reasonably cheap upgrade price for DriveClub (the popular game that everyone loves to hate despite millions of happy players) that adds in a new urban environment to keep that game fresh. Rez, obviously. And it seems like a few other VR titles may only be on PS4. So it seems like something worth taking a punt on. Shame the GB coverage has indicated I may well be reaching for the refund lever if it's as bad for me as it was for the crew.

Really interested to see how the high-res screen (in sub-pixel count vs PenTile displays in other devices so should be miles better than my DK2 and at least on par with other consumer devices for avoiding screen door/visible sub-pixel elements that is definitely an issue with my DK2 dev unit - DK2 was worth it for letting me do some VR coding work but it's not a great consumer device) looks like in practice and what a fixed platform can do for VR (especially with a 60Hz GPU driver and a 120Hz output via reprojection).

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I'll get into VR in like 10 years when it's a little more than a bag of parlor tricks. Some neat experiences here and there but nothing that would tear me away from classic games anytime soon, nor does it seem like it would supplement them in a meaningful way either.

cyberbloke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have had PSVR on preorder from the day I was able to do so, but I cancelled at the weekend.

Having seen the Giant Bomb stream and read many reviews, I'm just not ready to commit to something that sounds flawed. I will keep the money in reserve and I genuinely hope that once it is out there in consumers' hands the reaction is positive.

I just don't have the time to sink into lots of semi-games and experiences when I could be playing my backlog of great games I haven' got round to yet.

I do hope GB and other reviewers got dodgy sets, as I really hope it's great. If it is I'll join the back of the line again, buy I have plenty to play in the meantime.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After watching GB do 3 VR shows. I can safely say that VR has gone down the drain for me. Nothing loos fun or interesting. To be honest it feels like we are back in the early Wii days where developers slapping motion controls to everything seemed like the best idea they could think of with the tech. To me that is VR right now, right down to the forced dumb broken motion controls. Sure it might add immersion, but what good is that when everything else is no fun at all.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Spoonman671

I actually had it preordered and canceled it a couple of weeks ago. After watching some recent streams of people using it I'm getting the slightest tinge of regret, but I know I made the right decision. I can always pick one up later.

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had it preordered, but after mulling it over for a few days, I cancelled it and booked a Xmas vacation instead. I want to buy into VR soo bad, but not with the jank. So instead I will build a living room PC in spring and go the Vive route.

Darknorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a six-year-old kid. The last thing I need is a $400 blindfold.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Im interested, but the talk about it having the worst of the bunch in terms of tracking, and still no "games" for any of the three are making me hold off for now. If the general public start saying its worth it ill reconsider then. There are enough big companies jumping into VR, so i don't think its going to fade away for a few years, and by then i hope they get it sorted out. Im hoping this is kinda of like when 3D for games became a thing, it took some time before people figured out how to use it in meaningful ways, and actually design games around it.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By oldenglishc

I think the half of me that immediately wants to buy new hardware as soon as it's released has finally been beaten into submission by the half of me that's watched most of that hardware collect dust for at least a year until there's actually games on it I want to play. That $500 price tag doesn't help either. That's a substantial amount of money for an impulse buy that I may never use again after checking out the demo disk it comes with.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

No sir, I've yet to see a single game that makes me want VR at all frankly.

Lot of neat Gee whiz stuff I know I'd play once and be satisfied.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I had PSVR pre-ordered since they announced it. That being said, I do also have a Vive and Rift.

...but I watched a bunch of hours of the Giant Bomb PSVR stream and decided to cancel it. I don't use the other headsets as much as I should.. And Dragonquest Builders is coming and I'd rather be playing that instead. Also, I ordered Gears of War 4 the other day. I'll probably pick it up at a later date if there are no hardware issues and something I really want to play on it.

...and because I am incapable of saving money I instead bought a GTX1080.. And a Yamaha A/V receiver..

Hampe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm getting mine on launch day. Had a lot of positive experiences with it, and I'm not going to buy a PC in a long time.

JaredA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

No, I probably won't. I think I'm much more likely to get a Vive as I already have a PC that could handle it.

outlawtorn13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, I have a rift and need to pick up the touch controllers instead. Hoping all the jank gets worked out though. Oculus connect had some nice ideas and they were able to reduce the minimum pc settings by a fair amount so if psvr generally works there would be a bigger available market which should hopefully persuade devs to make some bigger games

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing so far suggests that PSVR is a wise investment.

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nah considering VR so far is "look you have the tv right on your face lol" and the games with hand tracking look awful so nope

onyxghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Nope. I bought a Sony mini disc player and a vita.

I'll wait to see how this whole thing works out. If it's a hit and it's great I'll get one. If they drop it like the vita I'll be bummed

AngriGhandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it comes out and the vast majority of people aren't having the issues Jeff and Brad had on the stream, then... yeah, I don't think I'll be able to help myself.

It's been like three years of hearing people talk about VR and me not seeing it. I have to see it. I have to.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#28  Edited By monkeyking1969

I'm interested in VR, and this seems like the most affordable solution. Yes, there are issues, but all of VR has so far been full of issues for room size to room brightness/darkness.

I think one of the most interesting things that will come out of all this VR stuff is a better understanding of human vision in natural light vs human vision on a screen. I am actually going to flip my apartment/cottage around by move my tv downstairs and moving my sofa and chairs around. It is for a few reasons: it is a better spot for the bigger TV I will get and it will allow guest to see my TV too; it will set up another more private sleeping space not in the loft; but I can have a 8' x 8' x 8' cube of space that way. I don't know if VR will take off, but I figure setting up a space to make it decent can't hurt.

UPDATE:
    I might add that I think the one VR tech that will probably be the consumer version will be the smartphone. That is what will take off, that is what will actually be consumer level VR. Vive and Rift will always be niche 'high level' VR. Sony might (or might not) be console gaming VR solution. But, the true consumer level VR experience that will steam roll everything else will be smartphone VR. Too many people will have smartphones, smartphones are get better fast, and people are ALREADY willing to dump $300 (+ the service costs) every two or three years into new tech.

The problems smartphones have now will be swept away faster that any other industry can sweep away their own issues. VR on our phones will have some sort of Moores Law like advance in my opeinion. As of today, phones are the LEAST technically proficient for VR, but in four years the screens, processing power, and weight will change the game. I would be shocked if everyone's smartphone case WASN'T something that folds out to be a headset.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By WynnDuffy

I have three core reasons for not buying PSVR.

1) I don't have a PS4 anymore

2) In this early stage of VR, I feel like it needs the PC as its platform so you have access to weird Early Access stuff, games modded to work in VR, prototypes, demos and easy access to 360 degree content. I don't trust Sony to deliver this and expect a very closed ecosystem

3) Sony have a bad track record of supporting their hardware (Vita, EyeToy, PS Move, RIP)

I'm a little surprised Sony have delivered a product this early but it's one way to make people forget they have no exclusives this fall...

Anyway some of you are being too doom and gloom about VR, there's a good amount of content to be enjoying on the Vive now.

@angrighandi said:

If it comes out and the vast majority of people aren't having the issues Jeff and Brad had on the stream, then... yeah, I don't think I'll be able to help myself.

It's been like three years of hearing people talk about VR and me not seeing it. I have to see it. I have to.

Have a look at which stores have setups of the Vive, Rift or GearVR, it's getting quite common now.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ca104190dca
    deactivated-58ca104190dca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Voted no as I have a Vive already, but it's good that it's out since the more developers working with VR the better the it will get.

Having said that there's a already some amazing experiences out there & it's tough to go back to non VR racing games now.

Zao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd rather invest in ps4 pro and maybe a 4k tv down the line, VR in all forms is just not there yet.

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's the only headset I can afford so maybe sometime in the future. I'm still not positive to the Whole notion of VR being the Next Big Thing so I'll wait.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My dumbass got up early and went to the store to see if I can find it. Quickly learned it doesn't even come out today, it comes out thursday.

Goddammit

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

@frostyryan: Hah! Someone's excited.

Personally, I reckon I'll pick one up closer to Christmas. Would like for there to actually be a game or two I genuinely want to play before picking up hardware for this price. Having a great gaming experience will mitigate any regret I might have about how thin my wallet feels, and it'll make it easier to convince myself it's a good investment for the future.

That's right, I am 100 % into tricking myself.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After the stream any small chance of interest in it went out the window, even if it 100% worked I didn't see anything on it that looked interesting enough to spend that kind of money on. I figured since they had about 6 to 8 months to see how vr was doing they could offer up something worth while at least. Also since it relies heavy on the camera the small hope i had for pc support seems pretty unlikely.

Knurrunkulus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Knurrunkulus

I have it pre-ordered and decided not to cancel: My curiosity about VR wins and although PS VR is still not cheap at all once you take into account the Move controllers and the games you buy (here in Germany there is no bundle with PS VR Worlds, Move Controllers and the camera, which is a shame) it's still cheaper than upgrading my graphics card and getting a Vive or the Oculus. I might still do that at some point in the future, but not now. Now I want to get my feet wet in VR for the first time, and I feel like PS VR is a good entry point for that. Let's just hope I won't end up disappointed.

Does anyone know about further VR stream plans from GB? I could have sworn that on the stream last week they said they would be back this Wednesday to show the games they couldn't yet talk about last week. Did I mishear or is that still happening? Was just wondering because I don't see anything in the "Scheduled" list, but maybe they talked about their plans on the Bombcast and I wouldn't know because I didn't get around to listening to that yet.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By paulmako

No, I like playing games.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think so. I also find the issues both Jeff and Brad has had worrying. Either it shows that there are serious issues with the headset, or that an alarming amount of launch headsets are defective.

Of course it could also just be bad luck...

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope in a few weeks they figure out the issues people are having are on the software side, some patches are released and we get news reports saying that everything is fine. If that happens, I might consider get one. I would have to try it first, obviously. VR seems to be cool, I wouldn't mind if it succeeds.

CABBAGES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasnt goin to get it but then just suddenly changed my mind last week and sold my dk2 as i hardly use it as it didnt work great on my laptop. I have now added 9 physical releases and so far at least 3 psn games and will probably get whatever other ones appear on psn on release day. I even booked the week off !

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#41  Edited By Silver-Streak

Yep. Preordered the original bundle (then the core bundle once it was announced and cancelled the original), and it'll be here tomorrow. Some of the games hitting sound great too (Rez, Thumper, RIGS). I'm hoping RIGS is as good as the reviews are saying, because then maybe we can get a GB team set up for it and destroy people in ...mecha basketball? or whatever?

Avatar image for deactivated-64cd222f5c6ac
    deactivated-64cd222f5c6ac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had mine preordered, but after the stream i found it hard to swallow for how jittery it is. I cancelled it and ill wait a little bit to pick up any of the headsets.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So what are the chances of me just walking into a Best Buy tomorrow and getting a bundle?

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frostyryan: If you're there before they open, probably pretty good?

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I never was. It's the cost of a new console and doesn't offer the benefits of a new console. Same reason I'm skipping PS Pro. I can't justify the expense for either piece of hardware when I don't see the use case for the former and don't have the additional hardware required to get the most out of the latter.

I'll wait for the inevitable PS Pro+ / PSVR2.0 bundle in a few years.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunkulese: I assumed this is one of those things everyone has pre-ordered and would be sold out everywhere but perhaps I'm wrong.

Especially after reading this thread

Jeldh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'll probably do it if theres a bundle with the slim, headset, controllers and the camera. It's bound to happen eventually right?

TanookiSuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had the thing pre-ordered since March on Amazon and putting the money aside for it, so I'm not really looking to cancel it - in fact I received my tracking number today. I've never experienced any of the headsets first-hand so I don't mind taking the dive. I just really hope Sony supports the thing a year from now and those bugs discussed about the "swimminess" will get ironed out, even if it ends up being a small percentage of users/units it affects - I mean, they'd have to, right?

I'll know after work tomorrow if I end up returning it or not after some good usage. I'm dying to play Rez Infinite.

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By marc

@tanookisuit: After deciding on cancelling my preorder, I ended up keeping it for the very same reason. Get it in the mail, put it through its paces. If it doesn't meet my expectations, back to Amazon it goes.

I just hope it doesn't take long for folks to get this thing working on a PC. Would love to use it for some sort of school project in the next couple of years (computer engineering).

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

I don't even own a PS4!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.