Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation

Platform »

Sony's first video game console established the PlayStation brand. It dominated the 32/64-bit era and was the best-selling home console up until the PlayStation 2.

Favorites on the System: PS-One

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

Edited By DarthOrange

¡Hola hola duders! This is a blog series where I discuss my favorite games on the systems I have owned. I had originally meant to post these on a more regular basis but alas shit happens and I hadn't had a chance to do another one of these until now. If you are interested, you can read about my favorite games on the Super Nintendo here.

To give a little background, I received one of the original square PlayStations as a gift from my uncle when I was a kid. However the thing was dead on arrival and so my dad took it to an acquaintance to get it fixed. We never heard from that guy again and thus I ended up sticking with my SNES for a while longer. Some time later I ended up getting a PS-One as a birthday present and later on got the LCD screen that attached to it. That screen, along with the car adapter made many long vacation trips much more bearable. Three days in a car isn't too bad when you have Crash Bandicoot to keep you company. I had a bit more games for the PS-One than I did for the SNES. Besides the ones I mention below, I also had Ford Racing, Casper: Friends Around the World, Mortal Kombat Trilogy, and every Crash Bandicoot game (including Crash Bash).

I had the snazzier looking PS-One.
    I had the snazzier looking PS-One.

Note: An addition has been made from when this was originally posted. I added Spider-Man as number 3 and pushed some stuff back as a result. I would like to thank @pcorb for reminding me that I totally loved that game too.

6. Mort the Chicken

No Caption Provided

This was one of those games that I simply picked up because hey, the cover looks mad interesting. It is about a chicken whose name is Mort, there is no way this can be bad. I ended up really enjoying just going through levels. It was a really mellow game that wasn't particularly difficult. The game is a platformer that has you collecting baby chicks and eating corn as you make your way to the exist. There was also a goofy story that was good for a few chuckles here and there. It is interesting to note that IGN slammed this game with 2.5/10 in a review which I strongly disagree with. I didn't actually read video game reviews at the the time though so I was able to enjoy my time with this game blissfuly unaware how much some people hated it.

5. Gex 3: Deep Cover Gecko

No Caption Provided

I never actually played Gex 1 or Gex 2. Once again though, the cover had a kung-fu gecko. How was I not supposed to buy this game? The Baywatch lady on the cover didn't hurt either. The gameplay had you jumping into different TV shows and thus every level had a distinct and unique atmosphere. I enjoyed the wise cracks and one liners that Gex would provide throughout the game. The gameplay was solid and the mini games were great at making sure things stayed fresh. The "Mystery TV" level in particular was my favorite, with the mini games that had you turning tiny and doing shit like hitting bubbles in a sink or kicking pool balls on a billiards table. I never actually played Mario 64 but looking back now it was clearly a big inspiration for this.

4. Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Battle 22

Dragon Ball Z in general is pretty fucking great you guys. I loved the show, so naturally when I saw a game for it I just had to pick it up. I would play it for hours on end, and after the first week my thumbs started to really hurt from pressing on the buttons so hard and attempting to do specials with the d-pad. The intro was great and the sound has been seared into my brain. Everything from the sounds of attacking to the menu music to the sound fighters would make when they were out of energy are unforgettable. Here is a video of Jeff Gerstmann and Ryan Davis shitting on it back in the GameStop days.

3. Spider-Man

No Caption Provided

This game remains one of the best Spider-Man games ever made. The story was a great deal of fun and it was great to see cameos from heroes like Human Torch and the Punisher. The narration by Stan Lee was also a great touch. While the camera could be a bit wonky at times, the actual gameplay was solid . Swinging around beating people up Spider-Man style felt right. I also really liked the collectables and the story that had you fighting pretty much everyone you would want to in a Spider-Man game. I also loved the ending that had you fighting a Carnage/Doc Ock hybrid. Unlockable alternate costumes ranging from Scarlet Spider and Ben Reilly to Captain Universe and the Bombastic Bagman made sure multiple playthroughs were always fun. I also spent a ton of time in the arena mode just fighting off waves of enemies. It seems like Activision is only capable of releasing one good Spider-Man game per generation of consoles, and for the PS-One/N64 era this was it. If you are a fan of the wall crawler and have been disappointed with the quality of his recent games, this one is still worth checking out.

2. Crash Team Racing

No Caption Provided

Some people call this the greatest kart racing game ever made. I have a really hard time disagreeing. The weapons were fantastically balanced, the racing itself was tight and the tracks were beautiful with several shortcuts that weren't always apparent at first. CTR also has a fantastic battle mode with fully customizable weapon selection. It literally has the best battle mode tracks ever in a kart racing game. Of course it also has the standard cups where you race on four stages and the player with the best average is the winner. On top of all this though it has an amazing single player campaign complete with an open world level select, a story, and fucking boss fights. How the fuck is it that a kart racing game this fucking perfect came out in 1999 and yet here we are 2015 and Mario Kart 8 has maybe 1/3rd the content of CTR, if that? What the fuck? If ever their was a game deserving of an HD remake with online support, this would be it.

1. Crash Bandicoot: Warped

No Caption Provided

Crash Bandicoot: Warped is quite literally my favorite game of all time. I love everything about it. I have played it through to completion over half a dozen times and I never get tired of it. Collecting all the crystals, gems and relics never gets boring. Of course the basic platforming levels were fun, but I also really enjoyed the vehicle segments which included motorcycles, tigers, planes, and jet skis. The boss fights are a ton of fun and the power-ups you get for beating them brought about some neat gameplay changers. Unlocking the bazooka and being able to take enemies out at a distance was great. Naughty Dog also deserves kudos for making underwater levels that don't suck ass and are just as fun as the rest of the game. My cousins and I used to replay the tiger and motorcycle levels for hours on end trying to beat each others fastest times, even after CTR had come out. Seriously, if you have never played this game before you owe it to yourself to try it sometime before you die. I cannot recommend it enough.

Anyway, I would love to hear y'alls thoughts on the PS-One. Did you have one, and if so what games did you enjoy playing on it? For those of you that skipped the system, were you ever play these great games mentioned above later down the line or on another system?

Farkas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm not one to mess all over someone's personal preferences, but sheeeeeeeeeeeesh this list.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@farkas said:

I'm not one to mess all over someone's personal preferences, but sheeeeeeeeeeeesh this list.

Yeah. A PS1 list with no JRPGs? No Persona, no Final Fantasy 9? You are straight dusted OP.

fujiwara_ae86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By fujiwara_ae86

Unique list. You've piqued my interest in trying a few of those out; the only one I've played was Crash Bandicoot, but only at retail stores when it first came out. I think I just played very standard AAA titles on the PS One, so I appreciate hearing about these games I had never really considered. My personal favorites were Vagrant Story and Gran Turismo.

fujiwara_ae86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:
    @farkas said:

Yeah. A PS1 list with no JRPGs? No Persona, no Final Fantasy 9? You are straight dusted OP.

Well, I don't think it's crazy to say that JRPGs aren't everyone's cup of tea.

duke_of_the_bump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The PS1 was just an RPG machine to me. Final Fantasy 7 and 9, the SNES ports on FF Chronicles/Anthology, FF Tactics, Xenogears, Chrono Cross, Dragon Warrior 7. The PSX/Saturn/N64 era was the worst for action games, in my opinion, because they were still trying to figure out how to do action in 3D and everything felt swimmy and mushy and awful. The only exception I'd make is Symphony of the Night (of course,) but I didn't play it until the 360 re-release.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Corevi
    @fujiwara_ae86 said:

@corevi said:
    @farkas said:

Well, I don't think it's crazy to say that JRPGs aren't everyone's cup of tea.

I guess but the PSX was defined by them. Other than Crash, Spyro and some fighting games they were all it had.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Rafaelfc

You forgot the best game on the system:

Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha

No Caption Provided

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Endless list of better PS1 games but the real disappointment is the lack of Team Buddies.

Man how good were Tony Hawk 1 & 2, those were the days. When you were aware Skateboarding was stupid but playing it in game form was awesome all the same, when Activision didn't churn out the same shit every year. How about some Tenchu 2? Hogs of War? I'm not even going into JRPG/Metal Gear/Castlevania Judgment land.

Edit: Vagrant Story mentions ahoy!

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Metal Gear Solid guys.

Also Castlevania: SOTN.

1. Final Fantasies (7,8,9,Tactics)
    2. Chrono Cross
    3. Breath of Fire 4
    4. Grandia
    5. Brave Fencer Musashi
    6. Vagrant Story
    7. Legend of Dragoon
    8. Star Ocean 2
    9. Legend of Legaia (I sorta thought the story was trash but such an interesting battle system)
    10. Tales of Destiny 2 (Sorta the same case but WAAAAY better)
    11. Mega Man X4 (Runner up: Legend)
    12. Spyro 1
    13. Crash Bandicoot 1/2
    14. Jumping Flash
    15. Oddworld games
    16. Tenchu
    17. Xenogears
    18. Driver
    19. Tomba
    20. Ape Escape
    Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well it's good to not be the only who feels the need to dump on this list. A DBZ fighting game? Get out

rudyarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who doesn't play many JRPG's but enjoyed the hell out of Persona 4 is it worth it to go back and try and play FF7 and FF9 since I hear so many good things about them? I got a Vita too so I can load them up on there, but not sure how they hold up now. I grew up with Nes and Snes so I'm not someone that is worried about graphically quality, just wondering if they hold up as far as gameplay goes. :)

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

@corevi said:
    @farkas said:

As someone who played the first 2 Personas, I would not recommend. The original Persona is balls. Straight balls. P2: Innocent Sin has some neat ideas, but if you were to play it absent the fondness of Persona 3 & 4 like many did at the time, it was a subpar PS1 RPG with Hitler and a modern setting. P2: Eternal Torment I'd recommend, but again, it's not much compared to Vagrant Story, the Final Fantasies, Xenogears, Vandal Hearts, the Suikodens, Final Fantasy Tactics, or even Wild ARMS. (Wild ARMS is probably debatable.)

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

CTR was an amazing game.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rudyarr said:

As someone who doesn't play many JRPG's but enjoyed the hell out of Persona 4 is it worth it to go back and try and play FF7 and FF9 since I hear so many good things about them? I got a Vita too so I can load them up on there, but not sure how they hold up now. I grew up with Nes and Snes so I'm not someone that is worried about graphically quality, just wondering if they hold up as far as gameplay goes. :)

There's the occasional spot in FF7 that is annoying just because of camera angle and prerendered backgrounds. They were even annoying back in the day. But they aren't that often. I don't remember ever having any issues with 9.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rudyarr: 9 yes 7 no. FF9 is a fantastic game that still holds up and has a lot of interesting things in it as well as being really well written/translated. 7 is the opposite of that.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I like this list.

Warped is an excellent, excellent game. Played that baby in one sitting straight, nearly 10 hours or something. Super awesome game.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No offense but it looks like you didn't actually play a lot of games on your PS1 if Mort the Chicken is on your list of favorites. Maybe it's not as terrible as IGN would have it but I find it hard to believe that it's better than the Tony Hawk games or Metal Gear Solid or Xenogears or...well...whatever your PSX game of choice was. This might work as a list of obscure titles people should check out (though the Crash games are obviously not obscure) but there is no way a Dragon Ball Z game is the best fighting game on a system that had Street Fighter Alpha 3 and the Tekken Series.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

CTR was an amazing game.

The only kart racer I've ever cared about.

pcorb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My list probably goes something like Spider-Man, MGS, Syphon Filter, Tomb Raider 2, Spyro. I'd learnt the value of reviews by the PS1 era, since my early tactic of looking for games with cool box art on the SNES was essentially a homing missile for dogshit.

Your list is definitely unique, I'll give you that. Also, the revised PS1 was neat because of how tiny it became, but the original looked so much better. If they'd just shrunk the console without making the edges all round and shitty looking, that would've been cool.

Farkas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:
    @farkas said:

As someone who played the first 2 Personas, I would not recommend. The original Persona is balls. Straight balls. P2: Innocent Sin has some neat ideas, but if you were to play it absent the fondness of Persona 3 & 4 like many did at the time, it was a subpar PS1 RPG with Hitler and a modern setting. P2: Eternal Torment I'd recommend, but again, it's not much compared to Vagrant Story, the Final Fantasies, Xenogears, Vandal Hearts, the Suikodens, Final Fantasy Tactics, or even Wild ARMS. (Wild ARMS is probably debatable.)

Star Ocean: the Second Story deserves a nod as well. Mort the Chicken is still causing an uncontrollable chuckle.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I think the PS1 is probably the system I have the most nostalgia for. It was the first system I ever owned that didn't also belong to my brothers, and I have some good memories on that thing. Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9, and Tactics, Breath of Fire III, Crash 2, and Tekken 2 and 3 are all games that shaped my taste as a kid. Even stuff I've gone back to as an adult has been really effective, like Symphony of The Night, and Metal Gear Solid.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

@pcorb said:

My list probably goes something like Spider-Man, MGS, Syphon Filter, Tomb Raider 2, Spyro. I'd learnt the value of reviews by the PS1 era, since my early tactic of looking for games with cool box art on the SNES was essentially a homing missile for dogshit.

Your list is definitely unique, I'll give you that. Also, the revised PS1 was neat because of how tiny it became, but the original looked so much better. If they'd just shrunk the console without making the edges all round and shitty looking, that would've been cool.

Holy shit I also absolutely loved Spider-Man! I knew I was forgetting something when I wrote this up but for some reason I just couldn't put my finger on it, which is funny because I have been reading the Spider-Verse comic series. Thank you for reminding me, I have added it to my blog. Also the original PS1 was totally shittier looking than the slimmed down version. The rounded edges look great.

No offense but it looks like you didn't actually play a lot of games on your PS1 if Mort the Chicken is on your list of favorites. Maybe it's not as terrible as IGN would have it but I find it hard to believe that it's better than the Tony Hawk games or Metal Gear Solid or Xenogears or...well...whatever your PSX game of choice was. This might work as a list of obscure titles people should check out (though the Crash games are obviously not obscure) but there is no way a Dragon Ball Z game is the best fighting game on a system that had Street Fighter Alpha 3 and the Tekken Series.

No offense taken. Well maybe just a little because it is clear you didn't read the second paragraph where I actually list out the handful games I had on the system :P. This blog is just me talking about the stuff I loved to play back when I had the system over a decade ago. I didn't actually play a Tony Hawk game until Underground on PS2, and I still have never played a Metal Gear game.

The PS1 was just an RPG machine to me. Final Fantasy 7 and 9, the SNES ports on FF Chronicles/Anthology, FF Tactics, Xenogears, Chrono Cross, Dragon Warrior 7. The PSX/Saturn/N64 era was the worst for action games, in my opinion, because they were still trying to figure out how to do action in 3D and everything felt swimmy and mushy and awful. The only exception I'd make is Symphony of the Night (of course,) but I didn't play it until the 360 re-release.

The only JRPG I have played, besides a demo of Final Fantasy X that was on a PlayStation Underground Jampack, is Pokemon. I have just never particularly cared for the genre.

Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Xenogears literally changed my life and my world views. Nothing on today's console's even comes close to the kind of story that game told. And the sad part is it wasn't even finished! The 2nd disc was text and a few boss fights followed by the final(actually complete) scenes.

It's by no means the best game on the system gameplay-wise, but it saddens me to see it not on a top 20 list for the PS-One. At least MATATAT included it on his list a few posts back. Yay!

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#24  Edited By csl316

CTR is amazing, but I still don't understand how people like Crash 3 over 2. 2 is an incredible pure platformer. 3 is a great platformer with a ton of extra crap that pales in comparison to the core gameplay. At least, that's how I feel about it as I pop those in nowadays.

Granted, I also like Gex 2 over 3.

Once these games get added to Playstation Now, I'll be all over that service.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

Darth, your tastes in games never ceases to amaze.

Meteorbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Meteorbs

The PS1 is not just an RPG machine to me. I'll treature Final Fantasy 7 forever.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@corevi said:
    @farkas said:

I think it's a list of someone that was much younger when the PS1 came out than yourselves. Myself included also. I only played Crash Bandicoot Warped out of this list and yeah it would be on my list for best PS1 games.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#30  Edited By BeachThunder

I watched a playthrough of Mort the Chicken after it was featured on Demo Derby. The gameplay itself seems okay, but the cutscenes are great.

Loading Video...

Also, Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus is a masterpiece.

Haruko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Your list is certainly unique I'll give you that. I will say check out futurecop lapd that is a great underrated ps1 game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.