Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation

Platform »

Sony's first video game console established the PlayStation brand. It dominated the 32/64-bit era and was the best-selling home console up until the PlayStation 2.

Help in identifying a PS1 JRPG

TwoArmed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TwoArmed

I haven't the faintest clue what it's called and it has been likely over ten years since I last played it, but I'll toss out some of what I do remember about it and hopefully someone will know what I'm talking about haha. I believe the cover of it showed your character and some little pink dragon thing standing next to him and the two of them are looking at some huge tower in the distance. You were some kid in all blue armor (I always joked to myself that he looked similar to Mega Man) in a town by the sea. Eventually, the little pink dragon thing with tiny wings that walks around on two legs shows up and adventure ensues with it. You end up going into some mountain at some point where you fight some stuff (including some mushroom people) and eventually I believe you get knocked out and wind up in some other town.

After that, you run into some guy in a town who has what looks like an adult version of your little pink guy (only he's brownish/yellowish) and you're forced to fight him in some arena to progress the story, though it's impossible to beat him. I don't remember a whole lot after that point other than I know you end up getting a flute or something that you use to call some waterstrider bug and you can travel around on it to different places on the world map (I remember going somewhere I wasn't supposed to yet and fighting some weird looking dragons in some arctic area that I was barely able to beat and received tons of XP from them, allowing me to do some unplanned grinding). You also had these little wind-up robot guys with different looks and powers that looked like eggs with only arms and after using them on a turn, they took (I think) three turns to use whatever their power was.

So...yeah, hopefully someone has seen/played whatever game this is and remembers the name haha.

Edit:

ApeGantz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ApeGantz
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @TwoArmed said:

I haven't the faintest clue what it's called and it has been likely over ten years since I last played it, but I'll toss out some of what I do remember about it and hopefully someone will know what I'm talking about haha. I believe the cover of it showed your character and some little pink dragon thing standing next to him and the two of them are looking at some huge tower in the distance. You were some kid in all blue armor (I always joked to myself that he looked similar to Mega Man) in a town by the sea. Eventually, the little pink dragon thing with tiny wings that walks around on two legs shows up and adventure ensues with it. You end up going into some mountain at some point where you fight some stuff (including some mushroom people) and eventually I believe you get knocked out and wind up in some other town.

After that, you run into some guy in a town who has what looks like an adult version of your little pink guy (only he's brownish/yellowish) and you're forced to fight him in some arena to progress the story, though it's impossible to beat him. I don't remember a whole lot after that point other than I know you end up getting a flute or something that you use to call some waterstrider bug and you can travel around on it to different places on the world map (I remember going somewhere I wasn't supposed to yet and fighting some weird looking dragons in some arctic area that I was barely able to beat and received tons of XP from them, allowing me to do some unplanned grinding). You also had these little wind-up robot guys with different looks and powers that looked like eggs with only arms and after using them on a turn, they took (I think) three turns to use whatever their power was.

So...yeah, hopefully someone has seen/played whatever game this is and remembers the name haha.

Edit:

Beyond the beyond?  

Or 

Guardian Crusade? 
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By kingzetta

illusion of gaia?
    no wait that SNES

HHAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By HHAP

Guardian's Crusade. Your welcome!

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Doctorchimp

@kingzetta: @The_Laughing_Man: @TwoArmed: Guardian's Crusade!!!

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By ThunderSlash

Definitely Guardian's Crusade.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TentPole
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @TentPole said:

Azure Dreams?

Why is that not on the PS3 store. Id buy it in a heart beat. 
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kingzetta
    @Doctorchimp said:

@kingzetta: @The_Laughing_Man: @TwoArmed: Guardian's Crusade!!!

oh damn I remember that game now
    I remember there was a bomb that did as much damage as steps took while holding it.
    super easy way to cheat at the game with that.
    MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By MetalBaofu

Based on your description of the cover, I'm going to agree with the people saying Guardian's Crusade. I am pretty positive that I played that game at some point, but I really can't remember anything about it, besides the cover being really familiar.

Edit: @TentPole said:

Azure Dreams?

I have no idea why, but seeing that made me think about Alundra...I never did finish that game.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TentPole

@MetalBaofu said:

Based on your description of the cover, I'm going to agree with the people saying Guardian's Crusade. I am pretty positive that I played that game at some point, but I really can't remember anything about it, besides the cover being really familiar.

Edit: @TentPole said:

Azure Dreams?

I have no idea why, but seeing that made me think about Alundra...I never did finish that game.

If anyone has not played Alundra go get it off PSN. I will argue to the day that I die that it is both the best Playstation 1 game ever made (narrowly beating out Symphony of the Night), as well as being better than A Link to the Past.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By MetalBaofu

@TentPole: Yeah....I remember liking it a lot. The last thing I remember was getting stuck on some ice block pushing puzzle thing. Something I'm willing to bet that if I tried again now, all these years later, that I would get through easily. I have the game on my shelf...wonder if I can find the memory card with my save on it....or if my PS1 still works. Probably easier to just get it on PSN sometime.

justamat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By justamat

Definitely Guardian's Crusade. It was my first game for the original Playstation.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.