Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation

Platform »

Sony's first video game console established the PlayStation brand. It dominated the 32/64-bit era and was the best-selling home console up until the PlayStation 2.

PS1 RPGs

SpinCookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By SpinCookie

I never really was into RPGs as a kid.  I just started getting into them now so I ordered FF IX and Chrono Cross.  I've also been playing Rouge Galaxy on PS2 and Disgaea on PSP.

There are so many RPGs for Sony systems, what are the cream of the crop for PS1?

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By suneku

FFVII, VIII, IX, Final Fantasy Tactics, Xenogears Breath of Fire 3 and 4, Tales of Destiny, Legend of Mana, Grandia, Suikoden, Star Ocean: The second story.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By keyhunter

You should probably ditch that shit, buy a dreamcast and then play skies of arcadia.

SpinCookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SpinCookie

I have a dreamcast too and have Skies, I've been meaning to play that sometime.

I always wanted to play FF VII but after playing Crisis Core I just don't feel like it.  I don't know why, I've been beaten over the head with how good it's supposed to be but yet I feel like I already know the story, just from hearing about it over and over again.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By keyhunter

Thing about Final fantasy 7 is it looks like ass from start to finish. The gameplay is pretty old. You'll probably have trouble figuring out what to do and give up completely unless you use a game guide or something. I've tried to play that game about 4 times and every time I get to the end of disk one and...yeah you'd be better off just reading what happened or better yet, not playing old 3D JRPG's and just playing suikoden 2.

solidphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By solidphoenix

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night was really good.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Meowayne

If you haven't played FFVII back in the day, it's very hard to get into, just like OoT. VIII on the other hand is worth a look.

SpinCookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SpinCookie
    solidphoenix said:
    "Castlevania: Symphony of the Night was really good."
    I've also been meaning to play this.  I have Dawn of Sorrow for the DS and love it.  I know SOTN is supposed to be amazing, but that's only because it pioneered that type of gameplay.  It isn't going to be much different from Dawn of Sorrow is it?
    danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9  Edited By danielkempster

A really great PS1 action RPG that nobody's mentioned yet is Vagrant Story. It was developed by the same team as FF Tactics, I believe. It's got some really great battle mechanics, outstanding visuals (for a PS1 game) and an intriguing storyline. Only thing is, it's not very accessible to somebody who's new on the RPG scene. Nonetheless, if you can get hold of it fairly cheap, I would highly advise doing so, then attempt it when you've spent some time with the other RPGs.

As a general rule, pretty much anything with the Squaresoft logo on it is worth looking at.

Pretty much as close to a Seal of PS1 RPG Greatness as you're gonna get
    Metasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Metasin
    SpinCookie said:
    "solidphoenix said:
    I've also been meaning to play this.  I have Dawn of Sorrow for the DS and love it.  I know SOTN is supposed to be amazing, but that's only because it pioneered that type of gameplay.  It isn't going to be much different from Dawn of Sorrow is it?"

if you have a 360 just dl the demo off of the arcade to get a feel
    SpinCookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SpinCookie
    dankempster said:
    "A really great PS1 action RPG that nobody's mentioned yet is Vagrant Story. It was developed by the same team as FF Tactics, I believe. It's got some really great battle mechanics, outstanding visuals (for a PS1 game) and an intriguing storyline. Only thing is, it's not very accessible to somebody who's new on the RPG scene. Nonetheless, if you can get hold of it fairly cheap, I would highly advise doing so, then attempt it when you've spent some time with the other RPGs.

As a general rule, pretty much anything with the Squaresoft logo on it is worth looking at.

"
    Thanks I hadn't heard of Vagrant Story, it looks pretty awesome, I think I'll check it out

Metasin said:
    "SpinCookie said:
    "solidphoenix said:
    I've also been meaning to play this.  I have Dawn of Sorrow for the DS and love it.  I know SOTN is supposed to be amazing, but that's only because it pioneered that type of gameplay.  It isn't going to be much different from Dawn of Sorrow is it?"

if you have a 360 just dl the demo off of the arcade to get a feel"
    No 360 for me, I have a PS3 and a PSP though So I'm not sure If I should download the ps1 classic of it, or just buy the retail game to play on the PS3, I do like owning actual games and cases, hmmm...
    gabha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By gabha

Add Legend of Legaia to the games suggested here (if graphics aren't a concern).

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#13  Edited By Cerza

Don't forget Wild Arms and Lunar Silver Star Story Complete and Lunar 2 Eternal Blue Complete! Valkyrie Profile is also really good, as is Suikoden 2, but good luck finding copies of them...

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By ZenaxPure

Can get Wild Arms from the PS store thing for like $6. I just picked it up when I got my PSP a few weeks back. Have yet to start it though. Also as Cerza said Lunar Silver Star Story complete is a pretty good choice. I thought the story was crap, but gameplay was solid.

SpinCookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SpinCookie
    Zenaxzd said:
    "Can get Wild Arms from the PS store thing for like $6. I just picked it up when I got my PSP a few weeks back. Have yet to start it though. Also as Cerza said Lunar Silver Star Story complete is a pretty good choice. I thought the story was crap, but gameplay was solid."
    Yeah I was looking at Wild Arms stuff when XF came out, the strategy game in the series.  I was big into Jeanne d'Arc so it got my attention.  I'll have to check that out too.
    suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By suneku

Oh yeah and I forgot to mention, Legend of Dragoon is a must play. I'm surprised no one said it yet.

Tanuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Tanuki

Yeah, definaitly pick up Wild Arms.  The game has some issues when it comes to puzzles and telling you what the hell exactly to do at some points, but it's an amazing game.  FFVII as mentioned of course.  Xenogears and Star Ocean: TSS.  Star Ocean is surprisingly good.  Oh, and Final Fantasy Tactics is one of THE BEST FF games ever made... seriously... it's amazing and the job system and character customization is WAY COOL.

kingmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kingmasters

I was just playing thousand arms yesterday

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By Snail
    kingmasters said:
    "I was just playing thousand arms yesterday"
    Why bump this?
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

suneku said:
    "Oh yeah and I forgot to mention, Legend of Dragoon is a must play. I'm surprised no one said it yet."
    Agreed, The legend of Dragoon is a awesome and highly under rated rpg.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Azure Dreams
    Beyond the Beyond
    Breath of Fire III
    Breath of Fire IV
    Chrono Cross     
    Dragon Quest IV     
    Dragon Warrior VII     
    Final Fantasy VII    
    Final Fantasy VIII
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Grandia     
    Guardian's Crusade     
    Jade Cocoon     
    Legend of Dragoon     
    Legend of Legaia     
    Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete     
    Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete     
    Persona     
    Persona 2: Eternal Punishment     
    SaGa Frontier     
    SaGa Frontier 2
    Shadow Madness     
    Star Ocean: The Second Story
    Suikoden     
    Suikoden II     
    Tales of Destiny     
    Tales of Destiny II     
    Valkyrie Profile     
    Wild Arms     
    Wild ARMs 2     
    Xenogears
    Alundra
    Alundra 2
    Blood Omen:Legacy Of Kain
    Brave Fencer Musashi
    Granstream Saga
    Legend of Mana
    Parasite eve 2
    Parasite eve
    Threads Of Fate
    Vagrant Story
    Kings field 1 2 and 3

I've kept my list *borrowed from gamefaqs* to US releases of games or games that had US releases so they have english translations quite a few of the games have remakes on the psp.

Rheinmetall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Rheinmetall

Final Fantasy 7.

Avatar image for valkyriegoddess
    ValkyrieGoddess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ValkyrieGoddess
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "Azure DreamsBeyond the BeyondBreath of Fire IIIBreath of Fire IVChrono Cross     Dragon Quest IV     Dragon Warrior VII     Final Fantasy VII     Final Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy Tactics Grandia     Guardian's Crusade     Jade Cocoon     Legend of Dragoon     Legend of Legaia     Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete     Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete     Persona     Persona 2: Eternal Punishment     SaGa Frontier     SaGa Frontier 2 Shadow Madness     Star Ocean: The Second Story Suikoden     Suikoden II     Tales of Destiny     Tales of Destiny II     Valkyrie Profile     Wild Arms     Wild ARMs 2     XenogearsAlundraAlundra 2Blood Omen:Legacy Of KainBrave Fencer MusashiGranstream SagaLegend of ManaParasite eve 2Parasite eveThreads Of FateVagrant StoryKings field 1 2 and 3I've kept my list *borrowed from gamefaqs* to US releases of games or games that had US releases so they have english translations quite a few of the games have remakes on the psp. "
    I think he nailed them all.
    gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#24  Edited By gla55jAw
    ValkyrieGoddess said:
    "WilliamRLBaker said:
    "Azure DreamsBeyond the BeyondBreath of Fire IIIBreath of Fire IVChrono Cross     Dragon Quest IV     Dragon Warrior VII     Final Fantasy VII     Final Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy Tactics Grandia     Guardian's Crusade     Jade Cocoon     Legend of Dragoon     Legend of Legaia     Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete     Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete     Persona     Persona 2: Eternal Punishment     SaGa Frontier     SaGa Frontier 2 Shadow Madness     Star Ocean: The Second Story Suikoden     Suikoden II     Tales of Destiny     Tales of Destiny II     Valkyrie Profile     Wild Arms     Wild ARMs 2     XenogearsAlundraAlundra 2Blood Omen:Legacy Of KainBrave Fencer MusashiGranstream SagaLegend of ManaParasite eve 2Parasite eveThreads Of FateVagrant StoryKings field 1 2 and 3I've kept my list *borrowed from gamefaqs* to US releases of games or games that had US releases so they have english translations quite a few of the games have remakes on the psp. "
    I think he nailed them all."

Yes. I would add Final Fantasy all the final fantasys (IX, X, even X-2, XII, then the SNES collections). I have a bunch of those on my shelf that I've been waiting to play, and a bunch still that I need to go out and get.
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#25  Edited By the8bitNacho
    keyhunter said:
    "Thing about Final fantasy 7 is it looks like ass from start to finish. The gameplay is pretty old. You'll probably have trouble figuring out what to do and give up completely unless you use a game guide or something. I've tried to play that game about 4 times and every time I get to the end of disk one and...yeah you'd be better off just reading what happened or better yet, not playing old 3D JRPG's and just playing suikoden 2."
    Because the gameplay isn't the same as VIII, IX or X-2 or anything.  The graphics are ass, but the gameplay is still traditionally Final Fantasy.

Vandal Hearts
    Vandal Hearts II

Add those two to the list.

jadewiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jadewiz

Jade Cocoon. Easily the best rpg ive ever played, and its also my favorite game of all time.

Shigginator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Shigginator

The FF titles (including the SNES ports if you don't mind their little problems)
    The Legend of Dragoon
    Star Ocean: The Second Story
    Chrono Cross
    These are the standouts imo

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#28  Edited By JJWeatherman

Xenogears and Legend of Dragoon for me. Ah the memories.

ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#29  Edited By ToxicFruit

Play FF 9 and you will love every sec of it

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By CL60

Chrono Cross

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.