What PSone sample (demo) disc did you have? What games were on it

#1 Edited by Sackmanjones (4650 posts) -

Today I found my sample (demo) vol 8 disc (yep demos used to be on a discs)  in a drawer at the very bottom pretty much torn to bits.  Now I recall knowing that there were many types of these samples discs and just curious to see if you remembered which one you had and what games were on it.  I clearly remember Tony Hawks Pro Skater (the original) and Medievil (which is now free on psn plus). And cannot forget the MGS demo. I also have a hazy memory of  Zena warrior princess which at the time seemed kinda cool. Also clearly remember seeing a video about the all-new Resident Evil 2 and Street Fighter 2 or 3 and Parasite Eve which is now on the PS store.   However the one thing that has always stood out to me was the main title music, it has to catchy theme I have ever heard since the Mortal Kombat theme.

#2 Posted by Twitchey (865 posts) -

I remember a long time ago my mom and I were at Best Buy and she was buying me a game since, fuck I don't know it's been 10 years. Anyways, she saw a demo disk and she thought it included 10 games on one disk. She said "You should get this one, you get ten games for $4.99". I then turned to her and calmly said 
 "BITCH!!, Are yous stupid??? This be a demo disk, it ain't got no good games, all these games be demos. NOW BUY ME CRASH YOU CUNT!!!"
Or, something along those lines. 

Long story short, stupid mother thinks demo disk are real games, results in me explaining the concept of demo disk to her when I was eight.

I still can't believe they charged for that demo disk, it blows my mind.

#3 Posted by OneManX (1676 posts) -

I remember I had the one with Hot Shots Golf (or some type of Golf game) me and my cousin played the SHIT out of that demo

And it also had Dino Crisis on it...

#4 Posted by Zella (684 posts) -

I remember it had MGS and Ninja, can't remember any of the others. I was like 6 so I had no idea what the hell was going on in MGS and died constantly.

#5 Posted by Sackmanjones (4650 posts) -
@Twitchey: you had to pay huh? I got mine right out of my playstation box
#6 Posted by Twitchey (865 posts) -
@Sackmanjones: We didn't buy it. But they were really charging for a demo.
#7 Posted by rentfn (1275 posts) -

The MGS one from Pizza Hut...It was the only demo disk you ever needed

#8 Posted by 71Ranchero (2668 posts) -

I had them all or most of them. I got into some beta program early on with Sony that resulted in me getting PS Underground for free. I wish I could remember what company I did this through because I used to get free pre-release music cd's and Movie promotional items too. 

#9 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

I had one that had a demo for Crash Team Racing, the first course, I played that for hours!

#10 Posted by AlexW00d (6167 posts) -

@Twitchey: You call your Mother stupid, but you consistently spell disc wrong through that entire post.

#11 Posted by thedj93 (1237 posts) -

I had the one that had the thrill kill demo on it. that shit was crazy. also bad.

#12 Posted by ESREVER (2646 posts) -

I have this SquareSoft demo disc that has Cloud on the front cover sleeve. It contains a demo for Final Fantasy VII and Bushido Blade! There are also video clips of Saga Frontier and Final Fantasy Tactics! OMG! 
I remember trying to track down Bushido Blade after playing the demo. Never had any luck :( 

To be honest, I'm not even sure where this demo disc came from! I never had a ps1 (only a ps2).

#13 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I had a few, but the only I remember is that MediEvil game demo.

#14 Posted by FateOfNever (1808 posts) -

I think I have a couple, but the only one I can find at the moment is from PlayStation Underground, and has Tomb Raider 3: Adventures of Lara Croft, NHL Faceoff 99, NFL Gameday 99, Apocalypse, NFL Blitz, Bomberman World, and Brave Fencer Musashi.  I can honestly say, I think of all those games, the only two I ever played were Tomb Raider 3 and Brave Fencer Musashi.

#15 Posted by robbob88 (326 posts) -

I remember I had Enter the Gecco on the sample disc. That's all that I remember. Haha. IDK which Enter the Gecco it was, but it was set in a very dark castle or something. Like a spooky atmosphere I guess you could say.
#16 Posted by Kandycane2029 (511 posts) -

I had quite a few (PSU subscription and all that),]. But I can remember having the demos for Tomb Raider II, Intelligent Qube, MGS, FF7, and Bomberman (I forget which one). I just found the "Interactive Sampler Disc 5" a few days ago. Not sure if it still works, but it's worth checking out. Anyone remember the hidden demos and videos on those things?

#17 Posted by DetectiveSpecial (464 posts) -

I only had the demo disc that came with the system, and the only game I remember playing from that was "Jumping Flash".   
Played the shit out of it, though. 

#18 Posted by Sackmanjones (4650 posts) -
@xobballox:  Same! I always wanted that game but could never find it.  It just so happens that Medievil is on PSN and for free on PSN plus for free
#19 Posted by 71Ranchero (2668 posts) -
@ESREVER said:
I have this SquareSoft demo disc that has Cloud on the front cover sleeve. It contains a demo for Final Fantasy VII and Bushido Blade! There are also video clips of Saga Frontier and Final Fantasy Tactics! OMG! I remember trying to track down Bushido Blade after playing the demo. Never had any luck :(  To be honest, I'm not even sure where this demo disc came from! I never had a ps1 (only a ps2).
I think they were free at Funcoland if Im not mistaken. 
#20 Posted by ESREVER (2646 posts) -
@Atramentous: I remember Funcoland ;-; They always gave me free swag. I had the best key-chain out of everybody in elementary school.
#21 Posted by 71Ranchero (2668 posts) -
@ESREVER said:
@Atramentous: I remember Funcoland ;-; They always gave me free swag. I had the best key-chain out of everybody in elementary school.
Yes, I remember bartering with employees to get the branded pens and lanyards they would have for staff use. I remember trading a copy of Scud(Saturn) for a clear blue Sega pen. God I was an idiot and a Sega fanboy back then.
#22 Posted by JackSukeru (5897 posts) -

I had one with the (Disney's) Hercules game on it and Abe's Oddysee, also some other crap I don't remember cause I didn't play it as much, if at all.

We ended up getting both games, Abe's Oddysee is still great.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.