256 Comments
Posted by Luck702

Viva Pinata with a Nine Inch Nails soundtrack. That sounds amazing.

Posted by mcbrid55

How many people flipped to skype after the skype sounds of jeff calling in rang?

Posted by Satintrousers

Thats a podcast if i ever saw one

Posted by gavku

In relation to working for free ...

Edited by zeekthegeek

@ryan @patrickklepek World War 2 Online is still alive. Why aren't you assholes covering more WW2 Online???!??!!

Posted by Max_Cherry

I'm calling it. Sony wins the next generation.

Online
Edited by Spitznock

Them cheeks they be TURNIN'.

Edited by Max_Cherry

I'm still on my first launch day Xbox 360. Almost 8 years later and it still works fine. I don't know what people are talking about when they say they're on their 2nd or 3rd Xbox.

Online
Posted by punkxblaze

@chtasm said:

@daniel_newton said:

@chtasm said:

COLLAR DUTY: MODERN ARF-FARE

Come on, surely it's Modern Woof-fare.

I'm not gonna lie. It was a ruff choosing which one to post.

I had to take a paws after this post to take in just how much I hate you both.

Edited by Shevar

NFL NFL NFL NFL NFL NFL NFL NFL NFL NFL!!!!!!!

Oh Wait,

I live in Europe.

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by HiCZoK

to only imagine that 360 was ONLY about games and had blades in 2005/2006 :cru:

Posted by mnzy

I'm still on my first launch day Xbox 360. Almost 8 years later and it still works fine. I don't know what people are talking about when they say they're on their 2nd or 3rd Xbox.

People are talking about how their consoles broke. Many did.

Posted by Max_Cherry

@shevar said:

NFL NFL NFL NFL NFL NFL NFL NFL NFL NFL!!!!!!!

Oh Wait,

I live in Europe.

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I live in America and I don't care about the NFL either.

Online
Edited by LegendaryChopChop

@mnzy said:

@max_cherry said:

I'm still on my first launch day Xbox 360. Almost 8 years later and it still works fine. I don't know what people are talking about when they say they're on their 2nd or 3rd Xbox.

People are talking about how their consoles broke. Many did.

I know mine did. I had three different systems, two broke. At least one of them was covered under a full warranty repair, though.

Posted by advocatefish

Go Bears.

Posted by gomezar7

Its "jif" you pompous asses

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/21/an-honor-for-the-creator-of-the-gif/?smid=tw-nytimes

Edited by Max_Cherry

How are we going to buy old Xbox one games 10+ years from now?

Online
Posted by Vigorousjammer

@gomezar7 said:

Its "jif" you pompous asses

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/21/an-honor-for-the-creator-of-the-gif/?smid=tw-nytimes

I agree completely.
Not only that, but how do you people pronounce "giraffe"
What about "gin" or how about "giantbomb"
With a "Ji" sound.
There's plenty of examples of this, and it's a totally vaild way to pronounce it, especially if the creators deem it so.

Posted by Sordel

Well done guys on getting such a full and thoughtful account of the XBox One launch out so quickly.

That said, I think you missed an interesting area of discussion (bear with me ... a lot of people are going to look at this and eyeroll on a massive scale): now we've seen the One and the PS4, what does that mean for the Wii U?

Now, yes, I bought a U, and I'll allow that Nintendo may as well have copyrighted the tagline "a day late and a dollar short" for all the viability that the U appears to have right now but ... I much prefer the quasi-tablet architecture than what either Microsoft or Sony have announced. Is there a chance here that Sony and Microsoft have taken such a different approach that this actually gives Nintendo some more space to build some momentum?

(You're all going to say No now, aren't you?)

Edited by KirkyX

I can't believe they actually talked about playing Artemis. I've been hoping, praying, wishing for this for SO DAMN LONG. Don't worry about capturing video from each individual console: just give us the view screen, and a video feed of a bunch of desks and office chairs arranged into a bridge, with Captain Gerstmann ordering Lieutenant Commander Davis to raise the goddamn shields! Ensign Shoemaker, full to port! Lieutenant Caravella, scan that fucking planet!

Posted by SlashDance

@gomezar7 said:

Its "jif" you pompous asses

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/21/an-honor-for-the-creator-of-the-gif/?smid=tw-nytimes

I agree completely.

Not only that, but how do you people pronounce "giraffe"

What about "gin" or how about "giantbomb"

With a "Ji" sound.

There's plenty of examples of this, and it's a totally vaild way to pronounce it, especially if the creators deem it so.

What prevents gif from being an exception to the rule, like gift or girl ?

Edited by QKT

mattrick has the weirdest lips.

Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1

@sordel said:

Well done guys on getting such a full and thoughtful account of the XBox One launch out so quickly.

That said, I think you missed an interesting area of discussion (bear with me ... a lot of people are going to look at this and eyeroll on a massive scale): now we've seen the One and the PS4, what does that mean for the Wii U?

Now, yes, I bought a U, and I'll allow that Nintendo may as well have copyrighted the tagline "a day late and a dollar short" for all the viability that the U appears to have right now but ... I much prefer the quasi-tablet architecture than what either Microsoft or Sony have announced. Is there a chance here that Sony and Microsoft have taken such a different approach that this actually gives Nintendo some more space to build some momentum?

(You're all going to say No now, aren't you?)

I think it's more viable than either the PS4 or One. At least on the Wii U you can borrow games.

Edited by frythefly

Even if it was aimed at "bros with families", as Patrick put it, why rely so heavily on buzzwords and not offer any concrete information? Even the "tech" panel was unbelievably vapid. And the aftershow with the contradicting execs (Phil Harrison on Larry Hyrb on the fee for used games, or as Harrison put it the "permission" to play used games) was laughable.

If you hold all the details (and games) for E3, then why hold this non-event at all? I just don't get. But maybe that's the (infotainment) TV aspect: Tell as little information in as much time. Repeat next week.

Edited by dr_mantas

@vigorousjammer said:

@gomezar7 said:

Its "jif" you pompous asses

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/21/an-honor-for-the-creator-of-the-gif/?smid=tw-nytimes

I agree completely.

Not only that, but how do you people pronounce "giraffe"

What about "gin" or how about "giantbomb"

With a "Ji" sound.

There's plenty of examples of this, and it's a totally vaild way to pronounce it, especially if the creators deem it so.

What prevents gif from being an exception to the rule, like gift or girl ?

Absolutely nothing. The creators maybe wanted it to be pronounced "jiff" or whatever, but the first word is GRAPHICAL. G. I. F. Hard "g".

At most people can agree it's contentious. Claiming it's one way or the other makes the person a pompous ass.

Edited by DarkbeatDK

@ryan The Xbox 360 unveiling is up on YouTube

Posted by CaLe

TV watchers are holding society back.

Posted by Johnnybombazini

This is the worst e-mail ever

Edited by dropabombonit

The giantdogcast

Edited by Pie

Great podcast. The 4 man shows are nearly always awesome regardless of who is present.

Also lol at people in comments taking "GIF" so seriously.

Edited by Marokai

Man, when Vinny decided to say that, based purely on the info provided so far by Microsoft and Sony, that he felt more personally leaning toward the Ps4, you could hear the uncomfortable silence. I don't come at this from a place of console fanboyism of any sort, (hell, I have three times as many 360 games, and even more Wii games than Ps3 games) but I really can't imagine that if Sony and Nintendo had been the ones receiving a thorough PR bashing for the last couple of months, and making such consistently underwhelming and uninformative statements to the press, that they would be giving them anywhere near the immediate and universal benefit of the doubt as they're giving Microsoft.

I get that E3 is right around the corner, and all of this could change in two weeks, but man, if you can't be more impressed with what Sony's been bringing to the table so far, you've either already stubbornly made up your mind to stick with the next Microsoft console through hell and high water, or you just don't care much for video games specifically, because Microsoft's presentations and statements to the press have kind of been an uninformative and confusing mess.

I'm happy to have heard Jeff be way more reasonable about the whole thing than I was expecting (because I was basically anticipating a "fuck all those people on the message boards whining about ______, just because" attitude right out of the gate) but let's have some real talk, here: Microsoft is making a pretty poor sale to the average person who just wants a great video game machine, and if that's who you are, we don't need to keep putting on the hats of hypothetical people and playing devil's advocate, just go with what you feel.

I keep hearing "That may be what's most appealing to us, as people who play video games for a living, but.." and wondering what the hell it matters what anyone but you think when it comes to making your own personal judgment call. This isn't cable news, tell me what you really think. I just want a great video games machine, no matter who brings it out, and what terrifies me is that Microsoft might end up doing to video games with the Xbox One, what they're currently doing to PCs with Windows 8.

Edited by ptys

I think there are major differences between the consoles now as they seem to be appealing to different demos. Wii U under 20, PS4 under 20-35 and Xbox 30-50. Not a bad thing, imagine if the choice was going to be photo finish again... I don't want two consoles this time around.

Love when Brad talks specs... he makes it so "life and death" lol.

Edited by MACog

Will Bailey really late West Wing references.

Posted by RVonE

Giraffic Interchange Format

Posted by TwoLines

@gomezar7 said:

Its "jif" you pompous asses

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/21/an-honor-for-the-creator-of-the-gif/?smid=tw-nytimes

I'd sooner die than pronounce it "jif". Die I tell you. Die!

Posted by Larsa
@gomezar7 said:

Its "jif" you pompous asses

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/21/an-honor-for-the-creator-of-the-gif/?smid=tw-nytimes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_the_Author

Edited by LegendaryChopChop

@cale said:

TV watchers are holding society back.

TV isn't going anywhere. It's arguable that cable is a dying format of content distribution, but really, that's only for people of our type, which is a very small, although vocal, sector of the people of the world.

Plus, even when we're old as hell, TV and cable will certainly still exist, although in hopefully better ways that favor personal preferences and less emphasis on strict bundle packaging. The idea of "live broadcast streaming to your television" will not be going away for a very, very long time, if anything, it will be become more significant if anything like this Xbox One comes out and succeeds on any sort of level.

The Xbox One announcement sucked not because of their emphasis on the cable aspect, but how much it seems like its serving corporate entities moreso than the consumers, which is a bad problem for a consumer product to have.

The blocking ("fee") of used games and the whole mess with that is just icing for the rest of the abysmal failure of this announcement, which basically worked more like a computer operating system showcase than a full-on game console.

I am glad, though, that "Xbox huge" can be a descriptive format again, because damn that console is huge just like the old one.

Posted by Max_Cherry
Online
Edited by RVonE

@brad How did you miss Marc Whitten--Chief Product Officer--confirming that 3GB of the system's RAM is reserved for the OS? So it's not only the difference between DDR3 and GDDR5 but also the amount of RAM available to developers for games.

When asked by Game Informer's Matt Helgesen about having 5GB of DDR3 available for games as opposed to Sony's 8GB (rumored to be 7) of GDDR5 and whether or not he thinks that puts the XBOXONE at a technical disadvantage, Marc Whitten moves into full PR mode and foregrounds marketing buzzwords like 'experience', 'nextgen', 'cloud', and 'experience' a bunch more times:

"I will say that I think that the way that we balance our system is really key, in terms of two things. The first is, we believe that we're going to have amazing experiences that are clearly nextgen--I think you guys saw some experiences, I think they set a bar that's very very high. I think that out games are going to look great, I think they're going to be the best looking games in the living room and I think that the experience you can have along with those games, the ability to run experiences at the same time, [...] At a gaming level, like, the ability to create a modern gaming experience where Live and the sort of apps and services you can run at the same time as the game, we think that will really change that experience and we think it's key. And the third thing is, we balance the system across what is locally running on the client as well as what is available in the cloud which we think, frankly, gives yet another sort of ability to access power into driving experience at a very different level [...]"

Source: https://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/05/21/interview-with-xbox-ones-chief-product-officer-marc-whitten.aspx

Timestamp: 10 minutes, 11 seconds into the video.

Posted by SleepyDoughnut

@marokai said:

Man, when Vinny decided to say that, based purely on the info provided so far by Microsoft and Sony, that he felt more personally leaning toward the Ps4, you could hear the uncomfortable silence. I don't come at this from a place of console fanboyism of any sort, (hell, I have three times as many 360 games, and even more Wii games than Ps3 games) but I really can't imagine that if Sony and Nintendo had been the ones receiving a thorough PR bashing for the last couple of months, and making such consistently underwhelming and uninformative statements to the press, that they would be giving them anywhere near the immediate and universal benefit of the doubt as they're giving Microsoft.

I get that E3 is right around the corner, and all of this could change in two weeks, but man, if you can't be more impressed with what Sony's been bringing to the table so far, you've either already stubbornly made up your mind to stick with the next Microsoft console through hell and high water, or you just don't care much for video games specifically, because Microsoft's presentations and statements to the press have kind of been an uninformative and confusing mess.

I'm happy to have heard Jeff be way more reasonable about the whole thing than I was expecting (because I was basically anticipating a "fuck all those people on the message boards whining about ______, just because" attitude right out of the gate) but let's have some real talk, here: Microsoft is making a pretty poor sale to the average person who just wants a great video game machine, and if that's who you are, we don't need to keep putting on the hats of hypothetical people and playing devil's advocate, just go with what you feel.

I keep hearing "That may be what's most appealing to us, as people who play video games for a living, but.." and wondering what the hell it matters what anyone but you think when it comes to making your own personal judgment call. This isn't cable news, tell me what you really think. I just want a great video games machine, no matter who brings it out, and what terrifies me is that Microsoft might end up doing to video games with the Xbox One, what they're currently doing to PCs with Windows 8.

I think it's more of a let's wait till after E3 to make a judgement call. That's the way I feel. If at E3 they show a bunch of great looking games I will feel better (not holding my hopes up). But if after E3 Microsoft still feels like this corporate minded crap pile while continuing to say, "trust us, you'll love it," then I will tear into it hard and I think the rest of the Giant Bomb staff will too.

Posted by OddParticle

No wordplay for PS4?

Playstation 4 Ever? 4 Everyone? 4 You?

4 play? Wait...

Posted by Brendan
Posted by SuperJoe

The Star Trek discussion put Patrick into stasis. He's never been so quiet.

Posted by Downloaded

The tape is spinning in Don's cheekbones.

Edited by Travan

Artemis live show NEEDS to happen.

Edited by SteadyingMeat

I can't beilive they totally forgot about Conker.

Edited by ThePickle

I'm glad the Bears were mentioned in the description so I have an excuse to share my favorite video of all time.

Edited by MonkeyKing1969
@marokai said:

Man, when Vinny decided to say that, based purely on the info provided so far by Microsoft and Sony, that he felt more personally leaning toward the Ps4, you could hear the uncomfortable silence.

I think the uncomfortable silence on for most commentators on all gaming websites is they CANNOT believe Microsoft is screwing up as badly as it vaguely appears.

"There must be more to it, there must be some sort of angle we are not seeing" is the silent affirmation people keep repeating.

Its not fanboyism...it is just you cannot 'ding' people talking very vaguely. Yes, vagueness is its own problem, but you can't ding MS on subjects like games, always on, used games, and other subjects because they didn't affirm much clearly. Its like flying, if I said I can fly, you might be dubious but still have to wait and see. If I say,"I can fly for 3 hrs with a liquid fuel jet-pack that weighs 20 lbs." At that point you can say, "BULLSH_T you cannot do that because no technology exists for that to even be possible!"

Edited by Bwast

Patrick and I sang oné, oné, oné at the exact same fucking time. GET OUT OF MY HEAD