809 Comments
Posted by Draxyle

For their first proper Bombcast, they sure do seem right at home. I look forward to what's to come!

Posted by TadThuggish

I wish the best of luck to the new Giant Bomb hires. Do you want my shitty opinion, though?

It really concerns me how Dan Ryckert can never exist except as a caricature. He's like Jeff's "GUNZ N EXPLOSIONZ" fascination except as a whole person. In progressive gaming movements on Twitter, he's basically told people to just shut up and have fun, refusing to acknowledge problems of any kind. What I love about Giant Bomb is its ability to be hilarious and inquisitive and inspiring and caring all at the same time. What I've seen out of Dan is just the wacky jokes and never a more interesting person underneath. Because of that, he's basically Deadpool.

I hope we see more from him at Giant Bomb.

Posted by rusalkagirl

This is one of the few times the social justice movement in gaming has put me on the opposite side of the aisle.

I really dislike the implication that all white men have the same perspective on everything, or that Dan and Jason will not bring a unique perspective to GB. It speaks of ignoring the details for the conceptual issue. I dislike the idea that GB is some heterogeneous perspective currently, that needs "fixing" with the addition of different "perspectives," which is really read as "person with different gender/ethnicity."

This is one of the few sites on the internet that has been home-grown based on the personalities of the people that run it. They started with almost nothing except that, and it has been their lasting appeal. The idea that they should listen to somebody else in their hiring decisions is appalling to me, much less the idea that they should be fulfilling some diversity "quota" that they haven't met yet. Do the people in this very comment section that are weighing the "level of diversity" on GB even participate in the site? I can't imagine you doing that and still thinking about it in these terms, as if you're some sort of CBS executive that doesn't give a shit about the end result.

Diversity is great, and I've been very happy that the voices that are available to read/watch on the internet have been expanding in scope. But demanding that GB not hire Dan fucking Ryckert - are you serious?!

I don't think anyone actually means that *all* white men have the *same* perspective on *everything*. Those words are very extreme. Everyone has different tastes. Patrick likes horror games, the other guys don't seem to as much. Brad loves Dota, and nobody else plays as much as he does. That sort of variance in knowledge and opinion is what makes the site, in my opinion, interesting and less same-sy than others. However, white men can have similar experiences in the gaming industry, and it would be nice to hear outside of that, especially now that Giant Bomb is expanding.

The issue isn't that a diversity quota needs to be met; that implies that there are no capable - i.e. good personalities with the qualifications and talent the other dudes possess - minorities for the job. What is important is realizing that those people do exist. I think we were just hoping that one of them would be recognized.

And I do not see this as personal to Dan and Jason at all. If anything, it would be cool to have them in addition to another new face.

Posted by Shad0w59

Congratulations to Dan and Jason!

Edited by ThePantheon

Anyone else kinda expecting Carrie Gouskos?

I would've loved Dan and her.

Posted by Dan_CiTi

I don't know why people are so heated about diversity, people just like diversity, it adds more dynamics it is healthy. Anyway these guys seem rad as hell.

Posted by Psykodoughboy

@seikenfreak: Its a issue because Patrick always brings it up, and shoves it our face's like its our fault for the lack diversity. We're asking why doesn't he not bring up the lack of diversity in game journalism. -Hispanic guy

Posted by Homelessbird

@rusalkagirl: I don't disagree with you, but I don't think your more moderate opinion is shared by everyone in this thread that's on your side of the fence. And no, I did not imply that there are no minority groups out there that could be qualified for this job - but who SPECIFICALLY would be better than Dan fucking Ryckert?

That's what's getting to me. I'm all for the nebulous general concept that GB have a non-white-man staff member, but the reason I use the phrase "diversity quota" is that it seems like many people would ONLY be happy with a non-white-man staff member, and they DON'T EVEN KNOW WHO THAT PERSON IS. Who has the combination of on-camera experience, games journalism experience, off-beat sense of humor, and experience recording long-ass videos of gameplay that Dan Rykert has? He's not just some white guy - he's the PERFECT candidate for Giant Bomb. I've watched Game Informer's videos for years mostly because of Dan.

We're all clear that GB isn't just a "gaming website," right? Their new hire couldn't just be someone with SOME chops. They had to be damn sure they were fascinating while playing games.

If the outcry was "why not this person? They would have worked so well!" I could buy it. But the suggestion that a hypothetical person might be a better fit makes it seem like everyone making that argument could give a shit how Giant Bomb actually is, and are much more interested in some idealized vision of the "future of video games" in their head, on which this decision could have been some sort of theoretical milestone. I just don't get it.

Posted by rmanthorp

AWEE YEAH!

Moderator
Posted by kid_gloves

I draw issue with the applying of a larger broader issue onto a sample size of 8, that is ridiculously below a proper size to draw conclusions from. It is exactly like trying to prove to people that global warming is a huge issue by citing a single hot day in July.

GB had a major staffing shortage on their hands after the last year of circumstances, and needed to hire people in who had the exact experience in what they do. Both Dan and Jason have huge experience in doing the exact type of content that GB puts out (Replays, Super Replays, livestreams. -> Quick Looks, Endurance Runs/DS Vinnyvania etc, livestreams). I am not any expert on that but I cant imagine the available pool of hires with that exact type of experience that can come in right away and contribute is very large at all.

This of course is all largely speculation on all of our parts, we do not know the available hires they were ultimately presented with or if the available pool was actually diverse to begin with for such specific positions.

Edited by TheLegendOfMart

@rusalkagirl said:
@homelessbird said:

This is one of the few times the social justice movement in gaming has put me on the opposite side of the aisle.

I really dislike the implication that all white men have the same perspective on everything, or that Dan and Jason will not bring a unique perspective to GB. It speaks of ignoring the details for the conceptual issue. I dislike the idea that GB is some heterogeneous perspective currently, that needs "fixing" with the addition of different "perspectives," which is really read as "person with different gender/ethnicity."

This is one of the few sites on the internet that has been home-grown based on the personalities of the people that run it. They started with almost nothing except that, and it has been their lasting appeal. The idea that they should listen to somebody else in their hiring decisions is appalling to me, much less the idea that they should be fulfilling some diversity "quota" that they haven't met yet. Do the people in this very comment section that are weighing the "level of diversity" on GB even participate in the site? I can't imagine you doing that and still thinking about it in these terms, as if you're some sort of CBS executive that doesn't give a shit about the end result.

Diversity is great, and I've been very happy that the voices that are available to read/watch on the internet have been expanding in scope. But demanding that GB not hire Dan fucking Ryckert - are you serious?!

I don't think anyone actually means that *all* white men have the *same* perspective on *everything*. Those words are very extreme. Everyone has different tastes. Patrick likes horror games, the other guys don't seem to as much. Brad loves Dota, and nobody else plays as much as he does. That sort of variance in knowledge and opinion is what makes the site, in my opinion, interesting and less same-sy than others. However, white men can have similar experiences in the gaming industry, and it would be nice to hear outside of that, especially now that Giant Bomb is expanding.

The issue isn't that a diversity quota needs to be met; that implies that there are no capable - i.e. good personalities with the qualifications and talent the other dudes possess - minorities for the job. What is important is realizing that those people do exist. I think we were just hoping that one of them would be recognized.

And I do not see this as personal to Dan and Jason at all. If anything, it would be cool to have them in addition to another new face.

How about they hire the best people who applied.

You don't know how many women or minorities applied for the positions, or whether they were even qualified or had enough experience that Jeff wanted.

I wouldn't hire someone just to fit a quota if they weren't as good a fit as the best candidates, and I am getting sick of this increasingly politically correct, positive discrimination world we live in, soon just being a while male will be a minority.

Edited by atomic_dumpling

@rusalkagirl said:

@homelessbird said:

[…]

I don't think anyone actually means that *all* white men have the *same* perspective on *everything* […].

One who employs "white men" as a derogative designator usually does. Also, this debate continues to be both sad and hilarious. Thanks Patrick for spreading those wacky notions around here, I guess.

Posted by FierceDeity

I wish the best of luck to the new Giant Bomb hires. Do you want my shitty opinion, though?

It really concerns me how Dan Ryckert can never exist except as a caricature. He's like Jeff's "GUNZ N EXPLOSIONZ" fascination except as a whole person. In progressive gaming movements on Twitter, he's basically told people to just shut up and have fun, refusing to acknowledge problems of any kind. What I love about Giant Bomb is its ability to be hilarious and inquisitive and inspiring and caring all at the same time. What I've seen out of Dan is just the wacky jokes and never a more interesting person underneath. Because of that, he's basically Deadpool.

I hope we see more from him at Giant Bomb.

So basically you don't like him because he isn't 100% in agreement with all the "progressive gaming movements on Twitter", and therefore have chosen to define him as some 1-dimensional character that you can easily dismiss?

Edited by Newfangled

The first thing I thought when I heard the two new guys speak was, "These guys have Giant Bomb voices! This is a perfect fit!" I have to wonder if this was a massive issue for @jeff during his deliberation process. Well, you got it dead right, man! Excellent first impressions. I would enjoy an article on the site that formally introduces both Dan and Jason, as I'm unfamiliar with their backgrounds--it would be fascinating to learn more about how they ended up at GB.

EDIT: Really excited about this. GB has gone from shrivelled fruit to bulbous, gleaming, solid apple overnight. Feels like the early days again. A warm welcome to the new duo--I'm looking forward to them carving their names on the bark.

Posted by rangers517

Congrats guys! This has gotten me excited about Giant Bomb stuff in a way I wasn't for a little while there.

And don't worry about a lot of these tumblr-esque comments. Most of them seem to be people that just signed up to complain about their political stuff without even really understanding the situation and the obvious need for experienced people at a time when the site had like 3 people in the main office. The community usually isn't like this.

Posted by TadThuggish

@tadthuggish said:

I wish the best of luck to the new Giant Bomb hires. Do you want my shitty opinion, though?

It really concerns me how Dan Ryckert can never exist except as a caricature. He's like Jeff's "GUNZ N EXPLOSIONZ" fascination except as a whole person. In progressive gaming movements on Twitter, he's basically told people to just shut up and have fun, refusing to acknowledge problems of any kind. What I love about Giant Bomb is its ability to be hilarious and inquisitive and inspiring and caring all at the same time. What I've seen out of Dan is just the wacky jokes and never a more interesting person underneath. Because of that, he's basically Deadpool.

I hope we see more from him at Giant Bomb.

So basically you don't like him because he isn't 100% in agreement with all the "progressive gaming movements on Twitter", and therefore have chosen to define him as some 1-dimensional character that you can easily dismiss?

Nope.

Edited by Mister_Snig

@homelessbird said:

@rusalkagirl: I don't disagree with you, but I don't think your more moderate opinion is shared by everyone in this thread that's on your side of the fence. And no, I did not imply that there are no minority groups out there that could be qualified for this job - but who SPECIFICALLY would be better than Dan fucking Ryckert?

I haven't conducted a Gallup poll or anything, but I think pretty much all of the comments I've read speaking out in favor of diversity (including my own) aren't outright demanding some sort of quota. We're just saying that it's kind of a bummer, that's all.

If you don't feel like that's the general sentiment, could you explain why? Most of what I see on this thread consists of A) posts that are excited about the new hires but not without some protest and B) disproportionately negative replies to posts that fall under A.

Posted by kid_gloves

Each time GB hires new people its an all new set of reasons why people are upset. I can't imagine what it will be next time, shouldn't fail to impress/entertain though.

Congrats to Dan and Jason on their new jobs, look forward to more great content!

Posted by Darek006

I wouldn't hire someone just to fit a quota if they weren't as good a fit as the best candidates, and I am getting sick of this increasingly politically correct, positive discrimination world we live in, soon just being a while male will be a minority.

Is...is that bad in some way? What are you trying to say there?

Posted by mrsmiley

I hope we see a jar session where someone writes in about the "diversity issue", then Jeff just pauses, shrugs his shoulders, and moves on.

How many "non-white people" (I say that because there is a huge variety of cultures that are "white people") did you see represented at the GB E3 panel? There were a handful of women, but the vast majority were, you guessed it, WHITE GUYS. There are certainly women and non-whites in the games industry, but the majority is still white dudes (from many different countries and background, but most people don't care about that). I've been to many E3, GDCs, etc. It's a fact. Let's be generous and say that 20% of the VG business is women/non-whites. That means that, chances are, 80% or more of the people who applied in the GB position were white. That means that the odds are 4-1 that a white person gets hired. Shocking.

All that said, focusing this much on race is part of what makes so much of the world racist. How about you be thankful that GB hired some really experienced and interesting people. Not white people. I can't believe I have to even try to defend this. When has anyone in the GB crew been racist/sexist? If you think the best people for the job are white people, great. If, in the future, there's a black guy that is great for the job. Awesome. Until then, be happy with what a great crew this is, or gtfo.

Edited by TheLegendOfMart

@darek006 said:

@thelegendofmart said:

I wouldn't hire someone just to fit a quota if they weren't as good a fit as the best candidates, and I am getting sick of this increasingly politically correct, positive discrimination world we live in, soon just being a while male will be a minority.

Is...is that bad in some way? What are you trying to say there?

Not the time or place to start a discussion on it, I don't want to be marginalized purely because I no longer fit a quota.

No one should be hired for positive discrimination if they don't fit the job, it doesn't do anyone any good.

Edited by Homelessbird

@mister_snig: If you read the rest of my post, you may understand. I am attempting to explain that the idea that Dan Ryckert coming to GB is "kind of a bummer" because he's a white man is incredibly dismissive of exactly how perfect for GB Dan is. It's replacing Dan with an imaginary person. No one seems to be suggesting an alternative. So yeah, when you're responding like that, you don't need to "demand a quota" - you are already saying that any woman or minority would be a preferable to this actual person who happens to posses the EXACT background of skills GB is looking for.

If you are wondering where the vehemence is coming from in your category Bs responding to your category As, I would guess it comes out of anger that this thing they are very excited about is being dismissed off hand

Edited by AlexanderSheen

Dan Motherfuckin' Ryckert and Jason Motherfuckin' Oestreicher!

Welcome, gentlemen!

Posted by JasonR86

I'm enjoying these comments. Keep it up dudes! For those just along for the ride how long till we hear something about Nazis (besides this posts and posts that reference it)? I'm saying three more pages.

Edited by Mister_Snig

@homelessbird: Fair point. I'm not really trying to denounce what GB is doing, or what Dan and Jason are capable of (I'm not familiar with either of them, but I'm sure they have damned good reasons for being hired). What I'm trying to say isn't that GB is a "bummer," but the state of video game coverage at large kind of is. I'm not asking for an immediate solution or demanding that a detailed plan be worked out. Just pointing something out is all.

Posted by mrsmiley

@vuud said:

Is it too early to start nitpicking Dan's performance on the Bombcast?

Yes. He has been hilarious on past bombcasts.

Posted by AMyggen

Well...this comment section got interesting.

Anyways, really enjoyed this podcast and super-happy that these were the guys who were hired. Hope they both continue to be on the podcast going forward!

Edited by Matoyak

So I'm aware that both Dan and Jason are from GI but why is everyone so hyped for Dan? I feel like I'm missing something.

I dunno. But then, I'm on-record as disliking the guy. I didn't like his stuff over at GI, and he's incredibly annoying on the wrestling premium podcast. So I dunno why people are hyped for him. I don't think you're missing anything, myself. But I'm biased on this issue (I was glad to see him leave GI...until I realized he was heading to GB), and still in-the-moment frustrated about having to deal with one of my least favorite gaming personalities on my favorite gaming personality website. I'm sure once he's been around for a bit, and I've gotten over my damn self I'll just shrug about it.

Haven't finished the podcast, but it seems like Jason's a cool guy. So we seem to have gotten something good out of the deal.

Posted by Homelessbird

@mister_snig: well, I certainly can't disagree with you there. This is a conversation this industry clearly needs to keep having. And I do understand that most people bringing up diversity in their posts don't have anything against the new hires, personally. I guess that's one of the problems with having these debates on the internet - the more extreme voices tend to color the entire discussion. I will attempt not to lump you in with them if you keep your opinion of me separate from "white men will soon be oppressed" guy.

As far as Dan is concerned, let me assure you that the author of a novel entitled Air Force Gator will be right at home here

Posted by 2HeadedNinja

@Jason: Your name is close but not quite there when it comes to "man/person from austria" ... that would be Österreicher :)

Posted by Mister_Snig

@homelessbird: Sure thing. I (obviously) agree that this is a conversation that shouldn't stop and I hope more rational folks help people realize that. Also:

I am now on board the RyckerTrain.

Edited by Vuud

New people stuff aside, I whole heartedly agree with that email about eSports. While teams don't have to be regional (I'm a cycling fan, and those teams really aren't very national or regional) I really like the idea of college eSports teams, they're just getting with the times, it's what the kids like to do.

But I really feel that for eSports to become more legit and have mainstream appeal players have to start using their real names.

Online
Posted by ripelivejam

guys, they had that EXACT SAME discussion about Kevin Costner on the bombcast before. not complaining, just weirdly hillarious.

Edited by sub_o

Drew just brought me to this revelation. Dixie Kong is the daughter of Daisy and Donkey Kong!

Posted by TheHumanDove

New people? I better not judge them on their own merits. Instead it's more progressive to generalize them as the exact same and offer absolutely nothing because they're white males, and probably even straight! How narrow minded of Giantbomb.

Posted by Death_Burnout

I'm just glad it isn't any of you people!

Edited by Phished0ne

@vuud said:

New people stuff aside, I whole heartedly agree with that email about eSports. While teams don't have to be regional (I'm a cycling fan, and those teams really aren't very national or regional) I really like the idea of college eSports teams, they're just getting with the times, it's what the kids like to do.

But I really feel that for eSports to become more legit and have mainstream appeal players have to start using their real names.

David "Ultradavid" Graham(a well known Fighting Game commentator and Lawyer) wrote an interesting article on why the 'sportsification' of esports could possibly be not as good a thing as a lot of people think(it is quite a big read though). Its a goo read though, and brings up a lot of very salient points about what could possibly happen in a future where esports are accepted as sports, including how college teams would likely be handled once they become regulated by Title 9.

Posted by Humanity

I wish the best of luck to the new Giant Bomb hires. Do you want my shitty opinion, though?

It really concerns me how Dan Ryckert can never exist except as a caricature. He's like Jeff's "GUNZ N EXPLOSIONZ" fascination except as a whole person. In progressive gaming movements on Twitter, he's basically told people to just shut up and have fun, refusing to acknowledge problems of any kind. What I love about Giant Bomb is its ability to be hilarious and inquisitive and inspiring and caring all at the same time. What I've seen out of Dan is just the wacky jokes and never a more interesting person underneath. Because of that, he's basically Deadpool.

I hope we see more from him at Giant Bomb.

Seeing how people nitpick some pretty good games this past year or so I'm totally in the "shut up and have fun" camp.

Edited by DarthOrange

Cool to see them finally hire some new people. Welcome to nest Dan and Jason!

I'm just glad it isn't any of you people!

Posted by Fattony12000
Edited by FierceDeity

@matoyak said:

@mrcraggle said:

So I'm aware that both Dan and Jason are from GI but why is everyone so hyped for Dan? I feel like I'm missing something.

I dunno. But then, I'm on-record as disliking the guy. I didn't like his stuff over at GI, and he's incredibly annoying on the wrestling premium podcast. So I dunno why people are hyped for him. I don't think you're missing anything, myself. But I'm biased on this issue (I was glad to see him leave GI...until I realized he was heading to GB), and still in-the-moment frustrated about having to deal with one of my least favorite gaming personalities on my favorite gaming personality website. I'm sure once he's been around for a bit, and I've gotten over my damn self I'll just shrug about it.

Haven't finished the podcast, but it seems like Jason's a cool guy. So we seem to have gotten something good out of the deal.

Here's my counterargument to that:

Posted by FierceDeity

New people? I better not judge them on their own merits. Instead it's more progressive to generalize them as the exact same and offer absolutely nothing because they're white males, and probably even straight! How narrow minded of Giantbomb.

Remember, we shouldn't judge them based on their journalism or video production skills. What really matters is the color of their skin or what sex parts they have.

Posted by Hurvilo

Man, I was really hoping Jason would pronounce his surname as ÖSTREICHER since that is an awesome name. :'(

Posted by Special_K

I'm sort of torn on the diversity debate here. I totally agree on an intellectual level that more diversity would be a welcome addition, but I think it's a little unfair to put so much stock in two hires at what is ultimately a pretty small organization. It just feels like a lot of weight to put on the site's shoulders. Does the industry have diversity issues? Absolutely. Does this site have diversity issues? Maybe so, but I feel like the amount of fist shaking around here is out of proportion given how small the site still is.

For the disappointed candidates that didn't get the job, the barriers to entry at this point are so low, anybody can basically do what Giant Bomb does. My advice is to get back out there and keep busting your ass. Get better. Become undeniable. It's cliche, but it's cliche for a reason.

For me? I'm just glad the site is getting a little bigger and we'll be hopefully seeing some more content. Welcome Dan and Jason!

Posted by AMyggen

@fiercedeity: There will always be someone who dislike something on the internet. But my impression from being part of this community and posting in/reading the GB thread on GAF, the vast, vast majority of the community really likes Dan. I'm one of them, have always loved his Replays/Super Replays on GI, his appearances on the Powerbombcast, on the E3 night shows etc. Can't fucking wait for this.

Posted by AngeTheDude

Hell yeah! I'm super stoked to have "Dirty" Dan Ryckert onboard the unstoppable train that is Giant Bomb. All the haters better get on, or get out of the way!

Edited by Vexxan

New hires!!

Posted by linus_south