Getting a good pokemon lineup?

#1 Posted by grnt (48 posts) -

So pokemon white 2 is my first ever pokemon game as I never got a gameboy as a kid. I'm in the early stages of the game still (only just got my first badge). I'm just wondering is the best lineup for pokemon generally have to try and have one of everything? I currently really only rely on my Pignite (Fire/Fighting), Mareep (Electric) and Riolu (Fighting), so I'm wondering if it's also worth levelling a water, grass and something else for my last three pokemon to have a well rounded lineup?

#2 Edited by Tonylope (183 posts) -

I've played so many of the Pokémon games, and the conclusion I've come to is it doesn't really matter what Pokémon you use. Having a diverse lineup is helpful in making it a bit easier, but it doesn't really matter that much. Just use Pokémon that you like. I do recommend getting a flying Pokémon so you can use fly later on, same goes for a water Pokémon and surf (although some Pokémon of other types can learn them). Also Gyarados is kickass, it's worth the tiny effort of getting Magikarp to level 20.

#3 Posted by grnt (48 posts) -

Ahh because fly can and surf can both be used outside of combat yeah? Forgot about that! Thanks heaps :D

#4 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3010 posts) -

Keep a psychic in your lineup, they usually prove invaluable early on. Pokemon type usually don't matter cause you'll catch plenty enough and switch around, just make sure to keep your pokemon move sets to be diverse. For example with Pignite I think I got a few fighting and ground type moves on him and not just fire moves.

#5 Posted by flyingidiot (8 posts) -

You should definitely pick up a magnemite as he will make the second gym a cake walk. I think you can get him in the area south of Virbank.

#6 Edited by BisonHero (6166 posts) -

@grnt said:

I currently really only rely on my Pignite (Fire/Fighting), Mareep (Electric) and Riolu (Fighting), so I'm wondering if it's also worth levelling a water, grass and something else for my last three pokemon to have a well rounded lineup?

If you're asking "Should I use all 6 Pokemon slots on my team?", my answer is "Yeah, dawg, at the very least so you can keep cycling some second-string Pokemon into your team and keeping them with you long enough for them to learn some new moves and for you to see their evolutions". Like others are saying, you can probably make progress only using a few Pokemon the whole game, but the fun of the Pokemon games is largely in just seeing as many of the Pokemon as you can.

#7 Edited by MentalDisruption (1618 posts) -

Use whatever pokemon you think are cool, but try to have a water and flying for traversal. After that anything goes really. If you want to strategize, keep your weaknesses in mind. For example, you have the fire starter, so you'll probably want to have a grass, electric, or whatever pokemon in your team to kill water. However, the games themselves aren't ever that tough unless you're battling people online, so I recommend just having fun with it. Pick whatever pokemon you'd pick if you were actually the trainer in that world, and adapt to things as they come.

#8 Edited by Hunter5024 (5541 posts) -

In my experience it's the most fun to train 6 pokemon simultaneously. Honestly though, as long as you've got all the right types covered its actually easier to use less pokemon because they get so much experience that you don't even need to worry about type differences. Which kind of ruins it. So use as many as you can. Don't bother with grass though, it's an awful type.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.