ALL 5th Generation Pokemon revealed.

• 0 results
#1 Edited by Apathylad (3066 posts) -
#2 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

They are not as...well... original as I thought they would be. I am seeing lots of stuff that reminds me of past generations. 

#3 Posted by Onno10 (405 posts) -

Do they just smash their heads on their keyboard to come up with the names?

#4 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -
@Onno10:  

Well, those are probably the Japanese names. I don't know Japanese, so there's probably a meaning in those I'm not grasping. 
#5 Edited by Crono11 (1641 posts) -

About what I expected, some cool ones, some wtf ones. 

#6 Posted by Sarumarine (2181 posts) -
@Onno10 said:
" Do they just smash their heads on their keyboard to come up with the names? "
Naw dude, they get monkeys to do that for them. Heh.

The very last Pokemon on that list reminds me of Napalm Man from Mega Man 5.
#7 Posted by Allprox (538 posts) -

Gear, Gigear and Gigigear...

wat?

#8 Posted by bwooduhs@gmail.com (11 posts) -

I want a purotooga

#9 Posted by spiceninja (3055 posts) -

At this point they all just look the same.

#10 Posted by Luke (1609 posts) -

Pretty cool, although I was really hoping for some different typings in this generation though.  I think maybe Dark+Flying is the only thing I see on there that's kinda new... did any Pokémon have this kind of typing before?  Anyone see any new typings?  

Desukan (#562), which literally means "Death Coffin", is probably my favorite.  But again, it would have been neat if they made him with a fresher typing though.  Like what's wrong with Ghost+Steel? :p  

#11 Posted by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -

some look nice, i like that grass type monkey

#12 Posted by Steve_C (1750 posts) -

I'm making a team made up solely of Nageki and Dageki. Maybe afrobull too.

Yeah, it gets harder and harder for new pokemon to not seem completely derivative.

#13 Posted by White_Silhouette (470 posts) -

i have to say that the evolutions look more interesting then in some of the past gen. I like how smugleaf evolves in to smugsnake.

#14 Posted by Kut_U_Up (52 posts) -

I like the bull with the afro, but no cool fire pokemon (my favorite type) except for the dragon one thats on the box

#15 Posted by Onno10 (405 posts) -
@Apathylad said:

" @Onno10:   Well, those are probably the Japanese names. I don't know Japanese, so there's probably a meaning in those I'm not grasping.  "

I think, but still, the entire pokemon series is becoming a joke. Look at the starting fire pokemon, they are just spitting in your face! One day they'll made a giant ass and name it 'hycraptrom' © or something and people will still get exited.
#16 Posted by JJOR64 (18911 posts) -

Some of them aren't bad and some of them are "what the?"

Either way, can't wait to get my hands on the US release.

#17 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -
@Luke:  
There was Murkrow and it's evolved form. 
#18 Posted by OmegaChosen (644 posts) -

That's just great. The fire pig turns into another Fire/Fighting typing. Forget it, I'm going water starter. At least that thing looks cool.

#19 Posted by Luke (1609 posts) -
@Luke said:
" Pretty cool, although I was really hoping for some different typings in this generation though.  I think maybe Dark+Flying is the only thing I see on there that's kinda new... did any Pokémon have this kind of typing before?  Anyone see any new typings?   Desukan (#562), which literally means "Death Coffin", is probably my favorite.  But again, it would have been neat if they made him with a fresher typing though.  Like what's wrong with Ghost+Steel? :p   "
Oh,wait.  I may take a little of that back the longer I look at things.  Ghost+Water and Ghost+Fire may actually be new.  I just remembered that Rotom stays Ghost+Elec, even when changing to Fire/Water/etc.  Also, Grass+Steel and Dark+Steel are definitely new!... as is Ground+Elec! :)  
#20 Posted by rjayb89 (7717 posts) -

They look pretty stupid, but that ain't gonna stop me from getting the game.  That gear one kind of looks cool, I guess.

#21 Posted by Luke (1609 posts) -
@Apathylad said:
" @Luke:  
There was Murkrow and it's evolved form.  "
Lol, oh yeah!  Worthless, that's why I forgot :p  
#22 Posted by Binman88 (3684 posts) -

#533 is holding a metal girder above his head. I say he's the best. 

#534 has a cool spoonerism-type name, "Roopushin".

#23 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Worst looking of them all.
They look like copies of the last generation to me :/

#24 Edited by kashif1 (1428 posts) -

im not going to, i want some surprises

#25 Edited by Icemael (6312 posts) -

Not as bad as I expected. I actually like this roster better than the 4th gen one. Granted, that isn't saying much, but I think I'll have no major trouble finding enough dudes I like to build a team, and that's really all that matters.

#26 Posted by luce (4045 posts) -

the fuck is that
#27 Posted by Brenderous (1098 posts) -

Shimama and Zekrom look awesome.

#28 Posted by Pandasaurus (115 posts) -

is it just me, or do all the base stats on these things look ridiculously high?

#29 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

Some of them just seem... weird.  I don't necessarily think most of them are bad, but they're just strange.  I guess that feeling will change once I actually play the game and I see those Pokémon often enough.

#30 Posted by Inf225 (503 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" They are not as...well... original as I thought they would be. I am seeing lots of stuff that reminds me of past generations.  "
Agreed, I'm not really feeling the usual excitement for new pokemon.
#31 Posted by blackbird415 (777 posts) -

the designs actually look pretty cool

#32 Posted by paradox121 (317 posts) -

There's a friggin ice cream pokemon. The world seems a different place.
But yeah, they seem alright. Like people have said, some great looking ones that seem to be pushing the trends. Some looking way too familiar. But  Kumashun is perhaps deathly adorable.

#33 Edited by JackSukeru (5906 posts) -

As suspected Wotter got way cooler in it's evolutions, I still like Pignition better, even though his evolutions kinda suck. 

I also liked the hermit crab pokemon Ishizumai, it was cute, and the bird that got progressively more heads with each evolution. 

Also, Holy crap Tauros evolution in Baffuron! 

Actually I see a bunch of ones I like, there's a cool spidery one and a crocodile one and a bunch of new cool bugs <3 
Edit:

Mustache dog ftw.
#34 Posted by Ignor (2372 posts) -

The only cool one is the desert crocodile.

#35 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -

I wonder if that ice cream Pokemon is considered edible....

#36 Posted by BeachThunder (11713 posts) -

I can't help but think that some of these are just a parody of earlier Pokemon. Although, I do like the idea of this one:

#37 Posted by Dziggy (54 posts) -

Wow, only a couple good ones in this set. Since Gamefreak decided it would be a good idea to remove all pokemon from previous generations in the first playthrough, it's not gonna be too fun trying to form a good team in this game.

#38 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

They look.... stupider than i expected. I mean seriously the starters look progressively worse after every evolution >_> 
 Also they look an awful lot like Wind Waker enemies or something.

#39 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11491 posts) -

You know, at this point the pokemon franchise has descended into self-parody territory with how scathingly unoriginal most of these designs are. NONE OF THEM ARE AS BITCHIN AS DUNSPARCE.

#40 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Finally, a Pokemon based on a candle.

#41 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@luce said:
" the fuck is that "
A monster from Earthbound? 
This is also my answer for like 20 other Pokes. I kind of like how obtuse the designs have gotten.
#42 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

Fuck yessss Tauros with an afro!!!!

#43 Posted by Hector (3356 posts) -

Nice....

#44 Posted by Halberdierv2 (1868 posts) -
@keyhunter said:
" Fuck yessss Tauros with an afro!!!! "
nice, Afro Samurai meets Pokemon! Hving a Look at Zekrom's  stats, that thing is gonna get used plenty.
#45 Posted by Sparklykiss (1951 posts) -

Definitely just going to get the water otter, name it Freckles and never let it evolve ever. I don't care if that leaves me with an incomplete Pokedex. 

I need the two scoops of ice cream that is the Baibanira and the mustached octopus looking ghost thing that's Burunkeru. That's for sure. I wanted just the Gear for novelty's sake, but it's evolutions (and those names!) are just terrible! So I'll be having the snot nosed bear instead, I think. Ice/Water trainer, gotta get ready for that stuff.

#46 Edited by TayIor (25 posts) -

Looking faaabulous~
I'm still disappointed that Pignition's evo is real. That typing... goddammit.
#47 Edited by DarkShaper (1322 posts) -

A few of those are cool some are bad but most are just meh 

also this one (and the one below it) look like fan made pokemon to me. 
Edit: Also Gear? really?
#48 Posted by TooWalrus (13139 posts) -

Can't say I'm a fan... though I haven't really enjoyed the series since Ruby & Sapphire, and even those pokemen were a little lame.

#49 Posted by Tactical_Kill (1695 posts) -

Yeah...they don't look that great.

#50 Posted by Spiral_Stars (456 posts) -

Oh boy. A \Luvdisc evolution. Joy abounds.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.