Anyone interested in doing GB community stuff?

#1 Edited by RE_Player1 (7560 posts) -

Would you guys be interested in doing contests and tournaments for these games when they come out? I basically skipped out on the GBA and Diamond and Pearl but I got Heart Gold when it came out and it reminded me how much I actually like Pokemon. I'm planning to get this Pokemon game, not sure if I'll be getting black or white yet, but I was wondering if anybody would be interested in helping me organize fun things for the GB community or just participate?

I know a lot of people on the boards organize Starcraft 2 and Street Fighter tournaments so I was thinking of doing the same thing. I would need some help in maybe organizing, setting up certain rules etc so whoever is willing to help feel free to say so in the comments below. The reason why I'm mentioning this now is if there is enough interest I could look for actual prizes ahead of time ( iTunes cards, Nintendo points cards things like that). If you too have actual prizes to offer again feel free to comment or pm me so we can maybe plan things out.  

**EDIT:   I will probably start tournaments and contests in mid-April for a number of reasons.  
1. Not everyone is getting this game at launch so waiting a month will allow more people to participate.  
2. Pokemon games are long and not all of us have time to beat them and make our teams in 3 days. A good month should allow people to get settled in and know the ins and outs of this generation of Pokemon 
3. Probably the biggest reason for starting in April is I'm fucking swamped in March and the first few days of April. I got 2 essays. a group project, a web project, and 4 tests all in the span of basically a month. Once I get that stuff settled I can dedicate some time to created some fun things for the community. 

#2 Posted by RE_Player1 (7560 posts) -

Also did they improve the friend code system at all? 

#3 Posted by shadyspace (458 posts) -

I played White partially translated after it was released in Japan. Let me tell you, it was awesome. Best gen since G/S easily. I'm definitely getting Black on release. I'd totally participate in a community tournament/contest, I could do some light organizational work if you need the help but I'll tell you up front I'm generally a bad organizer.

#4 Posted by RE_Player1 (7560 posts) -
@shadyspace: If people are interested in helping me organize that's a bonus to me but if your not up for it you can always just participate, the more the merrier. 
#5 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

I'll be getting Pokemon White once I get my 3DS at the end of March. If you guys are still doing stuff around then I would be up for it.

#6 Posted by RE_Player1 (7560 posts) -
@SpikeSpiegel: Will you be able to connect online with the 3DS? I'd assume so right? 
#7 Posted by craigbo180 (1739 posts) -

Well I'm totally going to get pokemon black. If you ran a tournament I think that would be cool and would probably join in, I don't think I would be very helpful organisation wise, not enough time in the day as it is!

#8 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -
@RE_Player92 said:
" @SpikeSpiegel: Will you be able to connect online with the 3DS? I'd assume so right?  "
Yeah, I definitely should be able to as far as I know. :)
#9 Posted by thwak (104 posts) -

I'll be up for it, but I do have a wireless n router at home and the ds seems to have issues with it...

#10 Posted by RE_Player1 (7560 posts) -
@thwak Yeah I had the same problem. I ended up buying one of those nintendoc wifi USB dongles when they were on sale and now I get disconnected maybe 1/50 .
#11 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -

I'd be up for it, not sure which one black or white I may get though.

#12 Posted by Prims777 (30 posts) -

I'd definitely be down for that. Sounds awesome. 

#13 Posted by Shirogane (3573 posts) -
@shadyspace said:
"I played White partially translated after it was released in Japan. Let me tell you, it was awesome. Best gen since G/S easily. I'm definitely getting Black on release. I'd totally participate in a community tournament/contest, I could do some light organizational work if you need the help but I'll tell you up front I'm generally a bad organizer. "

D= 
SInce G/S? That sounds promising. 

I'd be in for trading or other stuff, but not so much tournments. At least, not battling. Cause there'll be those people who breed and train up their EVs/IVs like crazy who'll just kick our asses T_T
#14 Posted by SIXSIDES (29 posts) -

I'd participate... Also i have some legitimately chained shines i'm never going to use so they could be side prizes?

#15 Posted by ThaMilkMan (346 posts) -

I'm down, played a LOT of pokemon heartgold even got into the metagame on smogon and stuff. Pokemon White is definitely the one to get (that cover pokemon looks pretty beast) so yeah, sign me up!

#16 Posted by ImHungry (377 posts) -

definitely interested! planning on taking my time with this one though so might take a while to get down to ev training and the like

#17 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1769 posts) -

I'm would be down for anything really. 

#18 Posted by RE_Player1 (7560 posts) -
@rudeboy217: Anything???? ;) 
#19 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1769 posts) -
@RE_Player92:  Yeah man, that's how i roll. :)
#20 Posted by Pickingwings (182 posts) -

Totally up for some Pokemon with fellow Giant Bombers.  You can count me in for any of these events.

#21 Posted by Jasta (2217 posts) -

I'd be up for that, no idea how it works but yeah whatever. It'll work over the pond right?

#22 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4742 posts) -

So long as there's connectivity between US and EU, which there should be as far as I know, I'm all over some GB stuff.

#23 Posted by Fallen189 (5005 posts) -

I'm totally up for this

#24 Posted by DrFidget (215 posts) -

I’d be down with tournaments. Especially if it’s VGC 11 rules.

#25 Posted by ___pocalypse (561 posts) -

I'm down! I have Black on pre-order, not sure when it will ship.

#26 Posted by rentfn (1279 posts) -

I'd be up for it. I can help put it together with you if you need extra help. Just let me know!

#27 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

Yeah if there is a tournament a month or so from now count me in, but I tend to take things slow and easy but I'll jump in if something goes down.  Send me a PM or add me to a list or something.

#28 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I've only just started, but I'd be interested
#29 Posted by RE_Player1 (7560 posts) -

I will probably start tournaments and contests in mid-April for a number of reasons.  
1. Not everyone is getting this game at launch so waiting a month will allow more people to participate.  
2. Pokemon games are long and not all of us have time to beat them and make our teams in 3 days. A good month should allow people to get settled in and know the ins and outs of this generation of Pokemon 
3. Probably the biggest reason for starting in April is I'm fucking swamped in March and the first few days of April. I got 2 essays. a group project, a web project, and 4 tests all in the span of basically a month. Once I get that stuff settled I can dedicate some time to created some fun things for the community. 

#30 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

I may get this a bit later and it will take me a while to get set up. All my pokemon from the previous games are piled into my soulsilver game. I need to procure a second DS to transfer them to black version.

#31 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -
@RE_Player92: So we'll meet back here every now and then and exchange friend codes and such for about a month until the Tourney.  
#32 Posted by RE_Player1 (7560 posts) -
@Kyreo
@RE_Player92: So we'll meet back here every now and then and exchange friend codes and such for about a month until the Tourney.  
I, or someone else, will probably make a friend code thread like the one on the Heart Gold and Soul Silver board.
#33 Posted by Hennet_sim (339 posts) -

I will be up for a tournament I am getting white.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.