Differences between Black and White?

#1 Posted by dogman795 (109 posts) -

Double post... and my text didn't even show up in the original post... weird. 

So, i'm trying to decide which version i should get, but don't know the differences between the two. 
Could any one help with this predicament? Like, what are the version exclusive pokemon, or any areas that are different?

#2 Posted by smudo (150 posts) -

NOTE: You will not encounter any of the previous-gen Pokémon in your first playthrough.  
#3 Posted by Xeiphyer (5589 posts) -
@smudo: That is a sick graphic
#4 Edited by dogman795 (109 posts) -

Hmm... I think i may be leaning towards getting White... It's a hard decision this time. They have alot of exclusive stuff this time

#5 Posted by sewageking1 (19 posts) -

Other than the Pokemon exclusive to one version or the other, can all the old Pokemon be caught in both versions?

#6 Posted by Bollard (5025 posts) -
@smudo: GAH GYM LEADER SPOILERS. 

Also that's a really good picture. I'm glad I got White, Reshiram looks like arse. 
#7 Posted by ThaMilkMan (339 posts) -
@smudo: That graph would explain why I haven't had a single rotation battle and I've already been to white forest...I was thinking, "are they even in this game"
#8 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7612 posts) -
@Chavtheworld: The gym leaders aren't really spoilers, you can see all of them on your trainer card. 

The differences aren't as extensive as they may seem either.  The two gym leaders use identical Pokemon and both play a part in the story regardless of version.  There are very few triple or rotation battles.  Pokemon missing from your version can be traded over the GTS.  And the Black City / White Forest take a lot of time to build up before they become useful and require linking with someone with the opposite version frequently to do this. 

Black is more useful, because you can battle trainers in the city, that really helps for leveling up, where as the wild Pokemon in White can be imported from the previous games or traded for..  but again, there's not much difference and I wouldn't worry about which version to get too much.
#9 Posted by Jasta (2217 posts) -

I picked up White, pretty sure I made the right choice.

#10 Posted by Bucketdeth (7981 posts) -

So with these versions do they include all Pokemon from the previous generations?

#11 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

Im going with white just for that end game pokemon. 
#12 Posted by Underachiever007 (2468 posts) -

I got both. I'm crazy.

#13 Posted by Romination (2768 posts) -
@Bucketdeth said:
" So with these versions do they include all Pokemon from the previous generations? "
Since no one answered, yes they do, but only after you beat the game do they open up. 

That is a pretty sick graphic.
#14 Posted by Bucketdeth (7981 posts) -
@Romination said:
" @Bucketdeth said:
" So with these versions do they include all Pokemon from the previous generations? "
Since no one answered, yes they do, but only after you beat the game do they open up.  That is a pretty sick graphic. "
Wow so that must be what, 500-650 Pokemon?
#15 Posted by Grissefar (2843 posts) -

One of them can't dunk and the other one runs really fast.

#16 Posted by MiamiRedHawks (914 posts) -

This is going to get ugly...

#17 Posted by MisterMouse (3531 posts) -

Oh man that is tough... I am surprised by all of the differences actually. Wouldnt you rather catch rare pokemon that arent fully evolved then to battle rare fully evolved pokemon?

#18 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

Excuse me sir, but I only see one color. I do not look at people as black and white.

#19 Posted by Romination (2768 posts) -
@Bucketdeth: close. 649. I'm sure they could have just come up with some bullshit Pokemon to make it a cool 650. Alas.
#20 Posted by CptChiken (1987 posts) -

Why are they making some of the original pokemon exclusive.... MADNESS!

#21 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -
@smudo:  That is one way of explaining the differences.  Thanks.
#22 Posted by Fleatron (18 posts) -

I went with black, but in retrospect I think white has the better pokemon in terms of power and looks. Just look at that awesome bird !

#23 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2480 posts) -

Based on that picture, Black City looks way cooler.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.