Lack of fire pokemon

#1 Posted by IIChristian89II (243 posts) -

I know there is the starter obviously but is anyone else a bit disappointed by the lack of fire types? 

#2 Posted by AltonBrown (949 posts) -

There's a relative lack of fire types in every Pokemon gen. Bulbapedia lists Fire Type as the ninth most common elemental type out of 17.

#3 Posted by craigbo180 (1739 posts) -

Fire types are generally more of an end game type pokemon, well that's the way it has always seemed to me anyway.

#4 Edited by MikkaQ (10280 posts) -

Fire types are pretty powerful, I think it's good to limit them somewhat. 3 badges in I've encountered a couple though. Also Blitzle learns Flame Charge for some reason.

#5 Posted by litrock (173 posts) -

Welcome to Pokemon. Fire Pokemon are awesome, but super rare for an elemental type (and even then good ones are even rarer, and almost entirely limited to starters and legendaries).  Save us from the deluge of water pokemon (seriously, third gen almost broke me with how many of those damn things there were), but fire pokemon?  NEVER.

I guess there's Victini, which would help if you didn't grab Tepig.

#6 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7614 posts) -

Black & White seem far better for this than any of the games since the originals (which only really had Vulpix or Growlith). 
There's Litwick, Darumaka or Pansear all pretty early on.

#7 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

Fire Pokemon are lacking in all the games really, thats why I chose a fire starter to begin with in most games, unless I can aquire Magmar!

#8 Posted by SamStrife (1282 posts) -

Because fire types suck major.  They may look awesome but I can only think of maybe 3 pokemon that are fire type that would be worth using.

#9 Posted by shadyspace (457 posts) -

Get Victini. Problem solved.

#10 Posted by IIChristian89II (243 posts) -

i got my victini earlier :) problem solved i think.   

Come to think of it this thread is pretty pointless.  

After much re capping fire pokemon are rare as hell in all the games. Unless you pick the starter, but i wanted smugleaf :)

#11 Posted by Romination (2777 posts) -
@IIChristian89II said:
" smugleaf :) "
Weird to see people are still calling them by their fake names. 

I actually think that Black and White have a good mix of fire Pokemon in there.
#12 Posted by ThaMilkMan (344 posts) -

get your ghost/fire on with lampent, he's kinda awesome for all your fire type needs.

#13 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

So going fire with the starters is still the best choice?

#14 Posted by ajamafalous (11942 posts) -

Fire types are rare in every gen, which is why I usually pick the fire starter.

@Romination said:

" @IIChristian89II said:
" smugleaf :) "
Weird to see people are still calling them by their fake names. "
He'll only ever be Smugleaf to me. Nicknaming mine that.

Also, if I go fire (which I likely won't, I'll just trade for it), it'll be Pignition.
#15 Posted by Romination (2777 posts) -
@ajamafalous: I named my Tepig after a pig the family used to have. Because when you live in the suburbs, animals that farms slaughter make great pets.
#16 Edited by Bollard (5400 posts) -

Either use Victini cause it's a legendary so will destroy most things early game, or Darumaka. My Darumaka has the most insane attack stat - it was like 10 higher when I caught it than the Pokemon I had more than 5 levels above it. Plus with its ability to get 1.5x damage for 0.8x accuracy it's a beast. 

#17 Posted by ajamafalous (11942 posts) -
@Romination said:
" @ajamafalous: I named my Tepig after a pig the family used to have. Because when you live in the suburbs, animals that farms slaughter make great pets. "
The suburbs of where, exactly?
#18 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

This is just another reason why Tepig is the only choice

Not to mention that he completely smokes the 2nd and 3rd gyms.

#19 Posted by animateria (3252 posts) -

I usually go with whatever looks best, and this gen it's grass... Smugleaf. 

Charmander and Cyndaquil were the cool Fire pokemon in my mind.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.