Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon Black/White

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Mar 06, 2011

Pokémon Black and White are the fifth generation of Pokémon games for the Nintendo DS. Both introduce several new game play innovations to the series including a more complex battle system, fully-animated 3D models and environments, extensive online integration, and a refresh of the entire selection of Pokémon.

Pokemon and Buff moves.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By jasta

Does anyone actually use the buff moves like Growl, Leer, Agility etc? 

Every Pokemon game that I've played I have never ever ever ever used the buff moves and managed to complete them with no trouble at all. Ryan said during the Pokemon Black quicklook that he was the same and always opted for moves that dealt out damage for the sake of not wasting a turn. 

Are the buffs aimed towards playing against human opponents? I have no experience playing online so I don't know how the tactics work on a competitive level.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By donchipotle

Growl and Leer? No. But yeah, I use buffs. The good ones. Sometimes it is better to buff for a turn and then deal more damage the second. Stuff like Water SPort? Never.

s7evn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By s7evn

I've never used them either, so I have no idea.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By dungbootle

I'm sure they are used in the metagaming/competitive scene.

Codeacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Codeacious

The good ones, yes. They're important to set up sweeps and other tactics. I have a Zoroark sweep that relies on getting off a Nasty Plot while disguised. Another instance is my friend who has a Cloyster with Skill Link and Shell Break, which can sweep most teams easily. 

A good tactic for Shauntal (Elite Four) is to send out a Zoroark disguised as a fighting pokemon- she'll try to use Psychic to no avail, and you can pull off three Nasty Plots/Swords Dances and just blow through her entire team.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By SlightConfuse

no i usually rather attack then was a turn lowing  defense or something

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By icicle7x3

I'm having endurance run flashbacks.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jasta
    @isnipeyoudie said:
    " The good ones, yes. They're important to set up sweeps and other tactics. I have a Zoroark sweep that relies on getting off a Nasty Plot while disguised. Another instance is my friend who has a Cloyster with Skill Link and Shell Break, which can sweep most teams easily. "
    All that PokePro jargon is wasted on me. :(
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Daveyo520

I never use buff moves and that is why I suck. I just like to deal damage as fast as I can. I don't like using turns not dealing damage.

ThaMilkMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By ThaMilkMan

that dragon dance is a beast also, swords dance, calm mind, curse, ya know the ones that mean something more than lowering defense and stuff, I might use screech here or there for the luls though lol

Burns09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Burns09

Dragon Dance is a good buff, I use it with my Charizard. 

Codeacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Codeacious
    @Jasta said:
    " @isnipeyoudie said:
    " The good ones, yes. They're important to set up sweeps and other tactics. I have a Zoroark sweep that relies on getting off a Nasty Plot while disguised. Another instance is my friend who has a Cloyster with Skill Link and Shell Break, which can sweep most teams easily. "
    All that PokePro jargon is wasted on me. :( "
    Sweeping is just basically making your Pokemon able to just one shot anything that comes at it via buffs (thus, you "sweep" their team). Skill Link allows the Pokemon to hit all five times, all the time, with moves that hit 2-5 times at random (i.e. Fury Swipes as seen in the quicklook). Shell Break sharply lowers Defense and Special Defense, but sharply raises Attack, Special Attack, and Speed. Nasty Plot just raises your Special Attack sharply.
    Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Mcfart

There's versions of both Growl and Leer that do a super-drop of Atk/Def, however I usually only use buffs to my pokemon, rather then nerfing the opponent (only useful for his current Poke)

1. If I'm loseing against a E4 guy I don't have a counter againist, the  I'll try to max my buffs to sweep em out.
    2. a Legendary I'm trying to capture is smashing my team with an attack. Usually then I'd try to lower his attack stat so my Pokes stop dying >_>

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Samaritan

The only real buff/debuff moves I use on a regular basis are any Accuracy-Lowering attacks and anything that "Sharply" raises my stats. But for the most part, I find myself very attracted to attacks that both do damage and raise my stats/lower the enemy's stats, that's the way to do it!

Avatar image for lemmycaution217
    Lemmycaution217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Lemmycaution217

Yeah I use Swords Dance and and Dragon Dance.  They are a huge help.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By keyhunter

Swords dance, calm mind, agility, and bulk up, and the double screens are all commonly used for sweeping and defense. Debuffs aren't so useful though. Except for like, haze and things that reduce stat changes completely, or switch stats and the like. 
    You have to remember, one swords dance effectively doubles your attack stat, and if you're using something like Rampardos and you get a rock polish on it (+2 speed) literally nothing is going to stop the thing.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BraveToaster

No.  

I would use them if Pokemon had more than 4 moves at once.

B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By B0nd07

I rarely use buffs and debuffs and also lean towards the "I'd rather deal damage" mindset.  The only ones I really use are ones that sharply raise or lower stats, or damage dealing attacks with them mixed in.  For example; Flame Charge, Iron Defense, or Charge (followed by an electric attack).

Avatar image for mikazukinoyaiba
    Mikazukinoyaiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mikazukinoyaiba

I never use de-buffs against my opponent, it's always better to just buff up your own pokemon to either allow them to take multiple hits or to increase their stats to deal major damage.

Burns09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Burns09

Yeah I never use De-buffs against my opponent either, not really worth it. If you're going to use up a move slot use it on a buff for your own pokemon. 

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#21  Edited By jacksukeru

Playing Heart Gold I used a Staryu with whatever that move is that increases avoidance (edit: Brightpowder) + an item that reduces enemy accuracy. For some battles I would max out avoidance while healing with recover and then proceed to wipe the floor with the trainers pokemon without getting hit :D 

Probably not a viable tactic against a human opponent, takes too long. 

Sometimes I've used screech or Sword Dance on rare occations but as far as non-attacks my favorites are Sleep powder (or Spore, though it's a rarer move) and Confusion Ray.

mattbosten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mattbosten

Didn't use buffs or de-buffs at all. My tactic was to grind levels for each of my Pokémon

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.