Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon Black/White

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Mar 06, 2011

Pokémon Black and White are the fifth generation of Pokémon games for the Nintendo DS. Both introduce several new game play innovations to the series including a more complex battle system, fully-animated 3D models and environments, extensive online integration, and a refresh of the entire selection of Pokémon.

Pokémon Black/White Landing Stateside Spring 2011

• 142 results
    the_gallo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By the_gallo

I want a professor named after a bush, just to shake things up. Fingers crossed for professor Mulberry. 

Avatar image for passivekaerenai
    PassiveKaerenai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By PassiveKaerenai
    @FluxWaveZ: 

FluxWaveZ:

" @MajorToms said:

" @FluxWaveZ:  Emerald I believe counts as a Green? But if it doesn't does Fire Red/Leaf Green count? "

No, as an emerald is a precious stone, following the conventional nomenclature of the games following Generation I.  FireRed and LeafGreen are called that as they are literal remakes of the first games, which were named after colors.  They're naming the Gen. V games 'Black' and 'White' as they should be considered a renewing of the series; ditching all of the precious stone and metal names (Diamond, Sapphire, Emerald, Ruby...) and going back to colors (black and white). "

But Black and White aren't colors. Hence they're not 'going back' to anything - they're going forward to nothing.
    It just has this ominous finality.  They've gone through colors, minerals...what's next? What's beyond this?
    Solid and Liquid?
    Physical and Metaphysical?   
    Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#53  Edited By Pepsiman
    @PassiveKaerenai:  Pokemon Jung and Freud.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#54  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @PassiveKaerenai said:
    " But Black and White aren't colors. Hence they're not 'going back' to anything - they're going forward to nothing.It just has this ominous finality.  They've gone through colors, minerals...what's next? What's beyond this? Solid and Liquid? Physical and Metaphysica
    That's minutia.  Ignoring the technicalities, black and white are colors.  It's as simple as that.  

Black and White will also, presumably, relate to the overall theme of the game.
    DonutFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#55  Edited By DonutFever
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @DonutFever said:
    " This is gonna be on 3DS, not 2DS, right. "
    2DS. "
    BALLS.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#56  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Afroman269 said:
    " I will definitely get it but damn....those legendaries look bad.  "
    While they're not exactly my favourite designs ever, I'm not sure why some are complaining so much.  They're definitely a lot better than Dialga and Palkia.

@DonutFever said:
    " This is gonna be on 3DS, not 2DS, right. "

It's a regular DS game, it'll be out in Japan before the 3DS is.  (assuming rumours prove true).
    Shindiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57  Edited By Shindiggah

I love pokemon, its one of my favorite franchises of all time, but these yearly releases are killin me, I dont know if Im gonna end up gettin this one on day one, I still havent completely finished SoulSilver yet.

MajorToms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#58  Edited By MajorToms
    @FluxWaveZ:  Ah, we're getting heavily technical now. Emerald isn't a primary colour, but it is a very specific shade of green, just as ruby and sapphire is to red and blue. We can argue semantically about this all we want, but at the end of the day there are Pokemon games out there that are housed in green cartridges. 

However, black and white aren't colours at all. No way around that one.
    InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#59  Edited By InfiniteGeass

What are you talking about? There are no Pokemon after the 2nd generation. 

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @MajorToms: But Emerald is primarily a precious stone.  In your mind, you immediately associate it to green, but emeralds come in various other colors as well.  There's no other way to interpret "Red" in any way else than it being the color red.  But, for an emerald, there are blue ones, red ones, yellow ones... I don't know why you solely associate the stone with green.

And for black/white; look at the comments in this thread.  A number of people have said "color" when talking about these two games.  So even if they're not technically or scientifically colors, they are still associated as such by the majority of people.  Black and white are still seen as "colors".
    GioVANNI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#61  Edited By GioVANNI

The black one, what kind of question is that?

aaox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#62  Edited By aaox

It's a whole new place, with a brand new attitude, but you still got to catch them all. 
    God, I love Pokémon.

CouncilSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#63  Edited By CouncilSpectre

Er.., what system is this for?  It says all at the top.
    thwak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By thwak

I'm gonna wait a year and get pokemon grey.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#65  Edited By Turambar

Zerkom is a pretty dumb name.  Just sayin'.

falco_eagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By falco_eagle

I'm getting the Black Version that white dragon thing looks so cool.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Turambar said:

" Zerkom is a pretty dumb name.  Just sayin'. "

"Zekrom". Kuro/Kro = Black.

" The krom (クロム kuromu) in its name comes from the Japanese word 黒む kuromu, which means "turning black" or "tinged with darkness".

It's also not confirmed that these are their English names.
    kagekage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By kagekage

I love how all these arguments are getting so technical. 
    IT'S POKEMON MAN.

falco_eagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By falco_eagle
    @CouncilSpectre said:
    " Er.., what system is this for?  It says all at the top. "
    Its for the DS. I think by "all", it means you can use it on all the DS's Aka Fat. Lite. DSI. DSIXL and 3DS.
    Wright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Wright

Them pokemons are starting to look like digimons.

MajorToms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By MajorToms
    @FluxWaveZ 
    The word "Emerald" is derived (via Old French: Esmeraude and Middle English: Emeraude), from Vulgar Latin: Esmaralda/Esmaraldus, a variant of Latin Smaragdus, which originated in Greek: σμάραγδος (smaragdos; "green gem"); its original source being either the Hebrew word אזמרגדizmargad meaning "emerald" or "green" or the Sanskrit word मरग्दम् marakata meaning "green."

There is a reason an emerald is called an emerald. Though there is a very specific red emerald, most people have never seen it before, it's so rare. Generally they stay away from that name anyways as it's not really accurate. It's called Bixbite.

Colour is divided into three components: hue, saturation and tone. Yellow and blue, found next to green on the color wheel, are normally the secondary hues found in the emerald. Emeralds occur in hues ranging from yellow-green to blue-green. However, the primary hue must always be green. Only gems that are medium to dark in tone are considered emerald.

I'm not trying to be a dick or anything to prove you wrong. It's just the colour emerald has been a long time favorite of mine and I do know a lot about colour in general as well. I've gone through these motions in art class for five years of high school and study colour extensively prior to and during college. I just hate it when people publicly say shit that isn't entirely accurate, especially when I know the topic at hand. Regards, I think I'm done here.
    Avatar image for passivekaerenai
    PassiveKaerenai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By PassiveKaerenai
    @FluxWaveZ:@FluxWaveZ said:
    " @MajorToms: But Emerald is primarily a precious stone.  In your mind, you immediately associate it to green, but emeralds come in various other colors as well.  There's no other way to interpret "Red" in any way else than it being the color red.  But, for an emerald, there are blue ones, red ones, yellow ones... I don't know why you solely associate the stone with green.  And for black/white; look at the comments in this thread.  A number of people have said "color" when talking about these two games.  So even if they're not technically or scientifically colors, they are still associated as such by the majority of people.  Black and white are still seen as "colors". "
    Granted, emeralds have various colors. But it's pretty obvious Gamefreak wanted a proxy for Red, Blue and Green when they made Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald. I cite the boxart legendaries, all of which correspond to colors but none of which relate to aforementioned mineral properties (come on, Groudon isn't made of rubies. He's freakin red, that's all). Emerald = a color to them, and to most consumers. (granted, they just gave up on D/P/P, which aren't even interrelated as minerals).

Regardless of how you look at it, they're running out of ideas.

I only make such a big deal out of this because we used to joke that this would happen (black/white/topaz) years ago, back when I was in single digits. This is the definition of Pokemon jumping the shark for me, regardless of future game quality. It's the concept of that we run out of colors before we run out of  versions of Pokemon games. Admit it, it's wonderful.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @MajorToms:  Hm, interesting.  That's explained quite a lot, thanks.

@PassiveKaerenai: True, the legendaries correspond to the colors that the Pokémon game names hint at (except for Dialga and Palkia with Diamond and Pearl, in particular).  I do think that Black/White are pretty much the last colors they could use instead of having to go to crap like pink, brown or orange.  But, I'm sure they could still make a Pokémon game called "Pokémon Titanium" even if they made a "Pokémon Grey", even if they would correspond to the same colors.
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    "It's also not confirmed that these are their English names. "
    Aside from the fact the names came from the official US website?
    It may be the first time a US source has ever revealed a new Pokemon, but they wouldn't have given us the Japanese names.
    drowsap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By drowsap

Reshiram looks beast im going white but I bet they will call these games Light/dark day/night or yin/yang so Jessey James wont have a heart attack lol just kidding.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @FluxWaveZ said:
    "It's also not confirmed that these are their English names. "
    Aside from the fact the names came from the official US website?
    It may be the first time a US source has ever revealed a new Pokemon, but they wouldn't have given us the Japanese names. "
    Ohhh, that's right!  XD  But they've not announced the names of the three starters even though they're Japanese names have been confirmed.  I don't think that means anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if the names of the legendaries were changed anyways.
    halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#77  Edited By halberdierv2

hahaha.. they both look like digimon...the white one looks cool, but the black one looks like a cross between a jet engine and a MegaMan Zero boss.

XenoZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By XenoZak

I want the Pokemon White one, he looks awweesome. It would be interesting if the names stay, they are quite... i guess foreign sounding more than fantasy sounding. Zerkom sounds eastern european or russian and Rashiram sounds egyptian or middle-eastern.

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#79  Edited By Astras

Dude... just no. Raving on about pokemon ... instead of red dead redemption... WTF are you?
    U had red in 98, and your still loving it.. reading your article makes me feel dirty, or perhaps your just trying too hard to be liked here at GB

Avatar image for fakeplastictree
    FakePlasticTree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By FakePlasticTree

I just hope they do something to refresh the standard Pokemon gameplay. It's getting a bit stale. 

bigchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#81  Edited By bigchief

I hope they do some new things. I just can't justify spending more money for the same stuff that I've already played several times already. Plus, I think a Pokemon game with a bunch of new systems and refined gameplay kinda sounds awesome. So, I dunno. We'll see.

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Astras said:
    " Dude... just no. Raving on about pokemon ... instead of red dead redemption... WTF are you? U had red in 98, and your still loving it.. reading your article makes me feel dirty, or perhaps your just trying too hard to be liked here at GB "
    So instead of given us news about games, you want them to continue talking about an already extremely overrated game?
    Aslo, are you aware that Red Dead Redemption is a sequel?
    DjRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By DjRich

Does it really matter anymore. Honestly?

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#84  Edited By MeatSim

I am still fine with my copy of Pokemon Red.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By shirogane

The black one is in White and the white one is in Black? WHOAH!
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#86  Edited By Red

Reshiram looks cooler, and bad guys wearing white are always more scheming than those in black. 

The new pokemon don't seem too terrible, but I really hope they don't add too many more. I'd love it if the only actual new pokemon were just the starters and the legendaries.

jeffk38uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By jeffk38uk

Partial to the black one myself cause he looks pretty sleak. More interested in what other graphical additions, but also if they updated the actual gameplay. Kinda been stuck since red/blue.

turbo_toaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#88  Edited By turbo_toaster

Pokemon started looking like Digimon a motherfucking LONG time ago.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By hockeymask27
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @Astras said:
    " Dude... just no. Raving on about pokemon ... instead of red dead redemption... WTF are you? U had red in 98, and your still loving it.. reading your article makes me feel dirty, or perhaps your just trying too hard to be liked here at GB "
    So instead of given us news about games, you want them to continue talking about an already extremely overrated game?
    Aslo, are you aware that Red Dead Redemption is a sequel? "
    Seriously, I'm starting to believe all this hate is truly just jealousy. Infact If he would just post this with Ryan's name people wouldn't even look twice. Oh btw Pokemon red/fire red  our the best games ever.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Soap said:
    " Btw, the black one is in white and the white one is in black... because they like to fuck with us :D "
    Yup.
    Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Bigandtasty
    @DrDemon said:
    " anyone who picks white over black is racist "
    If you pick the white version, you get the black legendary. If you pick the black version, you get the white legendary. Nintendo is a shining beacon of diversity.

Also, both of those legendary pokémon would look way better without the bee-stinger looking thing attached to their asses.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Red said:
    " Reshiram looks cooler, and bad guys wearing white are always more scheming than those in black. "

Bad guy?
     Bad guy?
    And it's Zekrom, people.  Not Zerkom!  Get it right, gosh!
    Crescendo1897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Crescendo1897
    @Bigandtasty:  Well c'mon. They made pokemon yellow pretty early. It's due they pay tribute to the blacks and whites ;) 

btw I'm  asian. I can make jokes like that.
    Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Emilio

I'm not sold on the designs, but the art used is a whole lot better than the simplistic "generic anime factory" coloring.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Milkman

The two Pokemon look way too similar to each other.

Pudge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Pudge

I just recently 100%ed my Pearl Pokedex Legit, so yea I'm stoked :D

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By selbie

FFS hurry up and make a console RPG! Handhelds are for chumps!

Hypermonkey262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Hypermonkey262

F*** yeah! I hate that there's another one to buy but I cant wait.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @selbie said:

" FFS hurry up and make a console RPG! Handhelds are for chumps! "

Or how about just go all out and make an MMORPG?  They're way too conservative in their handling of Pokemon RPGs... 

Understandably so, perhaps.  Why fix what ain't broken?
    fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#100  Edited By fox01313
    @TurboMan:
    Really wonder about the people older than teenager who knows enough about pokemans & also if we will see any other random amounts of thought coming from Nintendo with the always, maybe, never people @ E3.  

I hope that they put the never girl in every year to prove to the world that she's not giving into whatever Nintendo tries to sell her.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.