Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon Black/White

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Mar 06, 2011

Pokémon Black and White are the fifth generation of Pokémon games for the Nintendo DS. Both introduce several new game play innovations to the series including a more complex battle system, fully-animated 3D models and environments, extensive online integration, and a refresh of the entire selection of Pokémon.

So I think I'm back in...

matti00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By matti00

Right, so I made the decision to go get Pokemon Black tomorrow morning, I've been reading up and I'm pretty excited about it.

So like every human under the age of 25 I have played Pokemon before, but it hasn't been since Sapphire for the GBA. What I wanted to know was, is there anything major that's been implemented since the last time I played? I'm still tired from staying up til 5am watching Wrestlemania and I'm having trouble finding any info on it, thanks duders

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Pazy

Im playing, and enjoying, Pokemon White but I dont think much has changed. The primary thing is that, on first play through, you only see new pokemon which is a great idea because it has made be grow attached to some of them because previously I would have picked Generation 1 because I already knew about it. Otherwise they added another type of battle on top of 2v2 which is a 3v3 which slightly changes the dynamic, they made it look a lot nicer and the Pokemart is inside the Pokemon Centre.

If your playing it single player thats probably what you will notice but if your playing multiplayer then you will notice the bottom screen is now an always on multiplayer area to let you access Online, Local and Infra-red (apparently).

Though its not a revolution Im loving it so far, its more Pokemon with some small tweaks but thats what I wanted after leaving Pokemon alone after Blue (though I played a little Diamond but only recently).

Burns09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Burns09

The majority of the changes are not really apparent on the surface, a lot of changes were made to the move sets and other game mechanics that you'd only take notice of if you've been following the series closely. That being said with all the little changes they've made this is by far the best of the series since Red/Blue or Gold/Silver days, not including the remakes. 

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By GunslingerPanda

The biggest, and best, change is purely cosmetic in the animations of Pokemon in battle. Adds so much more life to the game, imo.

Other than that, there's a ton of new connectivity stuff that isn't explained very well but works pretty good.
    matti00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By matti00

Cool, so most of the stuff is pretty easy to handle, as long as I'm not coming into it going 'what the fuck' I'll be happy. Just bought it on my lunch break, so I'll give it a go when I get home, and post my friend code in the relevant thread.

Thanks guys!

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By buft

Being a game from my hay day of portable gaming, traveling on the bus playing pokemon I'm always tempted to buy the newest version so i get what you mean.

GiantBomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By GiantBomber

Why didn't they stop at the first 250?? That my opinion anyway.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By GunslingerPanda
    @GiantBomber said:
    " Why didn't they stop at the first 250?? That my opinion anyway. "
    I hear this a lot, but some of the original 250 are just as bad as their later counterparts. What I'd like to see is a reboot with the best 100 or so of the old Pokemon with a focus on balance for the multiplayer. But this will never happen because Nintendo love money.
    matti00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By matti00
    @GunslingerPanda said:
    " @GiantBomber said:
    " Why didn't they stop at the first 250?? That my opinion anyway. "
    I hear this a lot, but some of the original 250 are just as bad as their later counterparts. What I'd like to see is a reboot with the best 100 or so of the old Pokemon with a focus on balance for the multiplayer. But this will never happen because Nintendo love money. "
    That's a good idea actually, something like a greatest hits of Pokemon? You're never gonna need more than 150 anyway.

I think the reason they keep spewing out 100 new Pokemon each iteration is because there's only so much you can do innovatively with the Pokemon formula, and one of the things to change it up is inventing new Pokemon. Remember when the second generation of games came out, any everyone was like "OH SHIT NEW POKEMON"? I guess The Pokemon Company just didn't learn that you're not gonna get the same reaction very time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.