Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon Black/White

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Mar 06, 2011

Pokémon Black and White are the fifth generation of Pokémon games for the Nintendo DS. Both introduce several new game play innovations to the series including a more complex battle system, fully-animated 3D models and environments, extensive online integration, and a refresh of the entire selection of Pokémon.

Why don't these games ever have more than 1 save slot?!

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By xyzygy

My sister is gonna pick this game up as soon as it becomes available and I wanted to play it but I'm not that big of a fan to get my own copy. I figure that with any other videogame we can just share the saves but then OH YEAH this is Pokemon and they're stuck in like, 1985 when it comes to save files. Why the hell don't these games ever have more than ONE DAMN SAVE FILE. It seriously baffles me. What a piss off.   

This must be a tactic to get more sales or something. That's low Game Freak... very low.

niall_sg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By niall_sg1

So you run into the problem you have, and then your sister buys another copy making them more money. 

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Slaker117

Allowing more than one save would ruin the aspect of trading.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Enigma777
    @Niall_Sg1 said:
    " So you run into the problem you have, and then your sister buys another copy making them more money.  "
    @Slaker117 said:
    " Allowing more than one save would ruin the aspect of trading. "
    Both of these are correct. 
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#5  Edited By Icemael

Because a true Pokémon master commits.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By xyzygy

But how would it ruin trading... it's not like your friends would have save files on a game you own. That's entirely possible for action games but not RPGs where you need to put a lot of time into them, especially Pokemon, where the goal is to catch as many as possible.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By nintendoeats

Well, it made perfect sense in the original games. That's a ton of data being stored there, those old gameboy carts couldn't hold more than one save. Now its harder to say, because I don't know how much weird crap they are saving.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Slaker117
    @xyzygy:  You could create two save files before trading away your super-leveled rare pokemon. When the transaction ends and it overwrites the active save, you load up the old one and there he is again.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MikkaQ
    @Slaker117 said:
    " Allowing more than one save would ruin the aspect of trading. "
    How though? It's not like you would be able to trade between saves, and if they're both on the same cart, you can't just use two DSes to trade them. 
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By WinterSnowblind

The games take up a LOT of data on the cards, there's well over 600 Pokemon now, all fully animated and the cities and most environmental objects, etc are all 3D. 
    I'd say it's probably because of this..  but also to stop trading becoming too easy and forcing you to buy another copy if you really want to start again.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By shirogane
    @Slaker117 said:
    " @xyzygy:  You could create two save files before trading away your super-leveled rare pokemon. When the transaction ends and it overwrites the active save, you load up the old one and there he is again. "

Unless the save files were for different games. ie. each save file is a different slot/game and when you save in that game it only overwrites that slot. 

But yeah, it's pretty much for the same reason there's 2 versions of each gen, so that you buy more games.
    iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By iDarktread
    @xyzygy: Did you delete my informative post that directly responded to the title and content of your topic? Regardless, trading seems like it would be near the top of the list, among what others have said which were data usage and moneys. 

Edit: Oh, I posted it in the duplicate thread, and then clicked on this one. I wish they'd fix that.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By xyzygy
    @iDarktread said:
    " @xyzygy: Did you delete my informative post that directly responded to the title and content of your topic? Regardless, trading seems like it would be near the top of the list, among what others have said which were data usage and moneys. "
    I can't delete posts, I'm not a mod lol. Must have just been a fuck up with the site or something. 

@Slaker117 said:
    " @xyzygy:  You could create two save files before trading away your super-leveled rare pokemon. When the transaction ends and it overwrites the active save, you load up the old one and there he is again. "
    All they would have to do is remove the "Copy Data" feature that most games have, make it so that a save is locked and cannot be moved or tampered and add in an autosave feature.
    FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By FlyingRat

Because the people who make the Pokemon games all secretly have these bracelet things around their ankles which will explode if they make them too different from Pokemon Red/Blue!

It's true!

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Slaker117
    @xyzygy:  I guess there would be ways to do it and not mess up trading, but I also doubt that they care. That's how they've always been made, no one is going to change it now. And it probably does get them more sales.
    iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By iDarktread
    @xyzygy: Oh, don't worry about it then. Here was my old post: 

"Trading." 

:)
    Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Romination

Also, it doesn't really make a difference. It's not like you'll have, er... morality decisions to deal with and have staggered saves.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

@Niall_Sg1 said:

" So you run into the problem you have, and then your sister buys another copy making them more money.  "

You mean your sister erases your Pokemon Yellow save that you spent nearly a year collecting and perfecting the ultimate squad of monsters that could destroy any other kid on the playgrounds meager team.  The same Pokemon Yellow that you waited 90 minutes at a Toys R Us to acquire Mew and sent your game to Nintendo Power to receive a surfing Pikachu.  I had a fucking Surfing Pikachu it was all gone.  I still get pissed thinking about it.  

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By kingzetta

Pokemon players don't share

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By raiz265

Because some retarded friend or little brother can overwrite your savegame and ruin 90546hours of Pokemon epicness taht way.

moofey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By moofey
    @bartok said:
    " @Niall_Sg1 said:

You mean your sister erases your Pokemon Yellow save that you spent nearly a year collecting and perfecting the ultimate squad of monsters that could destroy any other kid on the playgrounds meager team.  The same Pokemon Yellow that you waited 90 minutes at a Toys R Us to acquire Mew and sent your game to Nintendo Power to receive a surfing Pikachu.  I had a fucking Surfing Pikachu it was all gone.  I still get pissed thinking about it.  

"
    Believe it or not, that's the first time I've ever seen Yellow's surfing pikachu minigame. 

From 3rd gen onwards (dunno about black/white) the game media has had enough space on it for two saves, but that second save slot is used as a backup. That being said, Pokemon isn't the only portable game out there in this day and age that has only one save slot. Looking at my DS collection alone I also see games like my entire Ace Attorney collection, The World Ends With You, Ghost Trick, and Mariokart DS are also guilty of the single file blues.
    mattbosten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mattbosten

I think it comes down to the fact that it's developed and published by Japanese companies and they are very much stuck in the old traditions of video games. 

AzureFlame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By AzureFlame
    @Icemael: Indeed.
    Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By Bass

I have to say its related to the fact that they put out two versions of the game (and eventually a third). You have your one save of super awesome sweet pokemon that you love, but killing the E4 over and over is getting boring, you have all the legendaries, etc etc etc. But you still love pokemon, so you want to relive your journey, but the only way to do that is to delete all your hard work in your first playthrough, or buy the second (or third) version of that game.  

It's a tactic that nets the developer a ton of money every time they release a pokemon game. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.