Should all Pokemon games be like this?

#1 Posted by red_robin (22 posts) -

I was thinking of what new things Nintendo could do with Pokemon and i thought it would be good if Nintendo started putting the main Pokemon games [Gold, silver,ect] on Wii, keep the usual plot [beating the elite 4, catching all the Pokemon,ect] but making it 3D like Colosseum with better graphic. What do u think of this People?

#2 Posted by Fr0Br0 (3089 posts) -

I think we need a Pokemon MMO. Seriously, that would make me play Pokemon again.

#3 Posted by yellownumber5 (353 posts) -

I agree with an MMO Pokemon done on the Wii, and making the Collosseum as a major part of that.  I was at one time a huge Pokemon fan back in the days that they only had red and blue.  The 64 version then came out, but I didn't play it till 2002 when I found a ROM and an emulator, but I did enjoy its concepts, and found it fun to get back into Pokemon's heart of battling your monsters in Colloseums somehow deep gameplay.

Why hasn't Nintendo thought of banking on this is beyond me, but it fits in with their slow decisions to bank on fond properties.

#4 Posted by jakob187 (21645 posts) -

If you mean bad, then they've already done that...a lot.

Sorry for the trolling, but I've never gotten the appeal of Pokemon.  I played Red and Blue on the GB just to check them out, and it seemed like a pretty bland and generic RPG.  =  /  From what I saw of the last ones on DS, it didn't look very different to me.  Maybe I'm wrong on that, and I'm sure plenty will say that I am...but if I wanted to play an RPG, I can think of a ton of other great games.
#5 Posted by Bucketdeth (8004 posts) -
Fr0Br0 said:
"I think we need a Pokemon MMO. Seriously, that would make me play Pokemon again."
F U C K I N G, agreed.
#6 Posted by Weltal (2272 posts) -
Fr0Br0 said:
"I think we need a Pokemon MMO. Seriously, that would make me play Pokemon again."
You might want to keep your eye on Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine Online. It really feels like a darker Pokemon, what with the demons and the post-apocalyptic setting. You pretty much summon the demons,after having convinced them to join you, and have them fight with you controlling them in real time with each demon having various powers (Lightning, Fire, Healing, et cetera...) which work against other demon's weaknesses.

I think it's about as close to a quailty MMO with, at least, a simillar concept to pokemon (Battleing captured monsters). Plus when it comes out next year it'll be free to play.
#7 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -

A Pokemon MMO would have the worst userbase ever, a bunch of 3 year olds. For every person like myself who still play the games (I'm almost 20 now) there is probably 10 young kids that play. I absolustely hate the idea of sharing a server with a bunch of whiny young teens. Don't get me wrong - I know they are all not that way, I wasn't back when I started WoW. But the majority are really bad to be around.

Pokemon is set up now perfectly if you actually want to get into it much more refined than it was in red and blue. Playing competitvly takes time to learn and be efficent at if you want to actually be good (getting good EVs, IVs, natures, and so on), but its better than what an MMO would bring surely. Battle Revolution has random wi-fi battles, and wi-fi battles with friends, you don't really need much else.
#8 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -
Zenaxzd said:
"A Pokemon MMO would have the worst userbase ever, a bunch of 3 year olds. For every person like myself who still play the games (I'm almost 20 now) there is probably 10 young kids that play. I absolustely hate the idea of sharing a server with a bunch of whiny young teens. Don't get me wrong - I know they are all not that way, I wasn't back when I started WoW. But the majority are really bad to be around.
Pokemon is set up now perfectly if you actually want to get into it much more refined than it was in red and blue. Playing competitvly takes time to learn and be efficent at if you want to actually be good (getting good EVs, IVs, natures, and so on), but its better than what an MMO would bring surely. Battle Revolution has random wi-fi battles, and wi-fi battles with friends, you don't really need much else.
"


I don't agree with you Zenaxzd, most people who still play Pokemon are "older" people like us, who played them back in the day of red and blue. Kids these days think Pokemon is stupid because of all the bad cartoons on T.V.  And most MMO's have annoying players. 

I would make a really long typical Pokemon game for Wii like colosseum, then a year later put out an MMO and use your Pokemons you already trained from the other game in the MMO. 
Now that would be awesome. 


#9 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

They need to make a gritty Pokemon with hyperealistic graphics and FMV cutscenes with animatronic Pokemons or dogs in silly outfits.
And the vibe of the game should be really dark and gritty and Fast And Furious/Need For Speed Underground-ish with the Pokemon fights resembling dogfights held in seedy backalleys and basements. Oh yeah and Gary Oak is replaced with Razor Callahan.

#10 Posted by red_robin (22 posts) -
TeflonBilly said:
"They need to make a gritty Pokemon with hyperealistic graphics and FMV cutscenes with animatronic Pokemons or dogs in silly outfits.
And the vibe of the game should be really dark and gritty and Fast And Furious/Need For Speed Underground-ish with the Pokemon fights resembling dogfights held in seedy backalleys and basements. Oh yeah and Gary Oak is replaced with Razor Callahan."
I like the battles take place in allys and stuff but u need to remember that its aimed at all ages and this may be to much for younger players, but i like ur idea.
#11 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

Bullshit. They need something more like Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness, minus the bullshit, plus the typical pokemon 43 hour adventure. MMO's are for dicks man.
And by that I mean Nintendo can get fucked. I'm sick of their shit. All they do is give me blue balls with the release of every game.

#12 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

Why the hell are MMO's for dicks, could you explain what you mean instead of cursing at evreything ?

#13 Posted by yellownumber5 (353 posts) -
keyhunter said:
"Bullshit. They need something more like Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness, minus the bullshit, plus the typical pokemon 43 hour adventure. MMO's are for dicks man.
And by that I mean Nintendo can get fucked. I'm sick of their shit. All they do is give me blue balls with the release of every game."
I don't play MMOs, and I have found the Pokemon universe to be really... Silly?,  But still as a gameplay something or other it is a franchise that Nintendo seems so ignorant of on their current console.  To me this is more about Nintendo making bad choices on obvious franchises.  Nintendo wants some other orgasim to make their platform viable.
#14 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -
red_robin said:
"TeflonBilly said:
"They need to make a gritty Pokemon with hyperealistic graphics and FMV cutscenes with animatronic Pokemons or dogs in silly outfits.
And the vibe of the game should be really dark and gritty and Fast And Furious/Need For Speed Underground-ish with the Pokemon fights resembling dogfights held in seedy backalleys and basements. Oh yeah and Gary Oak is replaced with Razor Callahan."
I like the battles take place in allys and stuff but u need to remember that its aimed at all ages and this may be to much for younger players, but i like ur idea."
#15 Posted by joey (980 posts) -

They should make a T Rated Pokemon game.

#16 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -
addictedtopinescent said:
"I don't agree with you Zenaxzd, most people who still play Pokemon are "older" people like us, who played them back in the day of red and blue. Kids these days think Pokemon is stupid because of all the bad cartoons on T.V.  And most MMO's have annoying players. "
I don't really see that at all, I barely know anyone my age that play, though I can go to the local elementary school in my town and find plenty of kids that play. Maybe it depends on where you live, I have no idea. I just barely know anyone that plays anymore. And yes I agree most MMOs have annoying players, thats why I have trouble playing them anymore.

dcpc10 said:
"Dude, you can't avoid annoying little brats, they're everywhere online in any game.

In call of duty 4, GTA4, Fifa 09, etc. so it doesn't really matter."
Yes I know, but I really think It would depend on how much team work would have to be put into it. Trying to work with "little brats" to kill a monster in an MMO would be a bigger pain in the ass than playing some team deathmatch or whatever. But the thing with a Pokemon MMO is, maybe that would not be a problem since its more of a single player thing anyway, even in an MMO I imagine you would still do things alone.
#17 Posted by coakroach (2488 posts) -
Fr0Br0 said:
"I think we need a Pokemon MMO. Seriously, that would make me play Pokemon again."
That would be the single most powerful product in the multiverse
#18 Posted by atejas (3057 posts) -
TeflonBilly said:
Oh yeah and Gary Oak is replaced with Razor Callahan."
I raged. Gary Motherfucking Oak is the manliest fucker ever.
Also, eh, I play the new ones more or less religiously when they come out, and they're a fun timesink, if nothing else.
#19 Posted by LiquidPrince (15855 posts) -

Pokemon still exists... Damn, they're like cockroaches... They can survive a nuclear blast.... Anyways I only used to enjoy the gameboy ones, and all the rest of the sucked.

#20 Posted by License_To_Bill (792 posts) -

There's a couple unofficial Pokemon MMO's you can find on google or something. They're alright.

I wouldn't mind a straight-up pokemon game for the wii (instead of an "arena" game), but they kinda tried that before on the gamecube. It wasn't that great.

#21 Posted by red_robin (22 posts) -

i think something needs to be done with the pokemon formula.

TeflonBilly said:

"red_robin said:
"TeflonBilly said:
"They need to make a gritty Pokemon with hyperealistic graphics and FMV cutscenes with animatronic Pokemons or dogs in silly outfits.
And the vibe of the game should be really dark and gritty and Fast And Furious/Need For Speed Underground-ish with the Pokemon fights resembling dogfights held in seedy backalleys and basements. Oh yeah and Gary Oak is replaced with Razor Callahan."
I like the battles take place in allys and stuff but u need to remember that its aimed at all ages and this may be to much for younger players, but i like ur idea."
"

whats wrong with that idea?
#22 Edited by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -
red_robin said:
"i think something needs to be done with the pokemon formula."
Like what exactly? I think right now it is accesiable enough so that anyone can play, but still really deep for the people that want to play competitvely. 

The only thing I would really love to see from the series is a sandbox game for the people that actually care about the universe. It would be nice to play in the Pokemon world and not have to be a trainer going after those badges if you don't want to. Tons of choices: be evil, be good, join a team, focus on breeding, etc. GTA for Pokemon I guess? Stuff an MMO would offer probably, I just would want to be able to do it alone or with friends. Problem is the Wii and DS would probably be a terrible choice for that kind of game... Need a darn harddrive for updates, expansions and so on.
#23 Posted by red_robin (22 posts) -
Zenaxzd said:
"red_robin said:
"i think something needs to be done with the pokemon formula."
Like what exactly? I think right now it is accesiable enough so that anyone can play, but still really deep for the people that want to play competitvely. 

The only thing I would really love to see from the series is a sandbox game for the people that actually care about the universe. It would be nice to play in the Pokemon world and not have to be a trainer going after those badges if you don't want to. Tons of choices: be evil, be good, join a team, focus on breeding, etc. GTA for Pokemon I guess? Stuff an MMO would offer probably, I just would want to be able to do it alone or with friends. Problem is the Wii and DS would probably be a terrible choice for that kind of game... Need a darn harddrive for updates, expansions and so on.
"
mybe
#24 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -
red_robin said:
"i think something needs to be done with the pokemon formula.

TeflonBilly said:
"red_robin said:
"TeflonBilly said:
"They need to make a gritty Pokemon with hyperealistic graphics and FMV cutscenes with animatronic Pokemons or dogs in silly outfits.
And the vibe of the game should be really dark and gritty and Fast And Furious/Need For Speed Underground-ish with the Pokemon fights resembling dogfights held in seedy backalleys and basements. Oh yeah and Gary Oak is replaced with Razor Callahan."
I like the battles take place in allys and stuff but u need to remember that its aimed at all ages and this may be to much for younger players, but i like ur idea."
"

whats wrong with that idea?"
Just that my idea was fucking horrible.
I can just picture it a Charizard biting into a Squirtle's neck with blood gushing out while Linkin Park or whatever nu-metal/rap dujour plays in the background with lots of quick cuts, overexposure and the camera shaking. No wait, Disturbed with that Wooo-AH AH AH AH song!
#25 Posted by red_robin (22 posts) -
TeflonBilly said:
"red_robin said:
"i think something needs to be done with the pokemon formula.

TeflonBilly said:
"red_robin said:
"TeflonBilly said:
"They need to make a gritty Pokemon with hyperealistic graphics and FMV cutscenes with animatronic Pokemons or dogs in silly outfits.
And the vibe of the game should be really dark and gritty and Fast And Furious/Need For Speed Underground-ish with the Pokemon fights resembling dogfights held in seedy backalleys and basements. Oh yeah and Gary Oak is replaced with Razor Callahan."
I like the battles take place in allys and stuff but u need to remember that its aimed at all ages and this may be to much for younger players, but i like ur idea."
"

whats wrong with that idea?"
Just that my idea was fucking horrible.
I can just picture it a Charizard biting into a Squirtle's neck with blood gushing out while Linkin Park or whatever nu-metal/rap dujour plays in the background with lots of quick cuts, overexposure and the camera shaking. No wait, Disturbed with that Wooo-AH AH AH AH song!"
not like that i thought like pokemon battes where made illegel or somthing

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.