Pokemon Conquest coming to North America.

#1 Posted by Hailinel (24798 posts) -

This probably shouldn't surprise anyone, since most games with any relation to Pokemon generally make their way to North America, but it's been confirmed that the strategy RPG Pokemon crossover with the Nobunaga's Ambition series will be released on this side of the Pacific on June 18th with the name Pokemon Conquest. I don't anticipate the game being particularly complicated; this is a Pokemon game, after all. Still, I'm really curious to see how Pokemon are handled in a strategy RPG format.

#2 Posted by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

Count me extremely interested. It sounds a lot better than most of the other Pokemon side games. The name is pretty good as the Japanese one wouldn't work in the west in my view.

#3 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11739 posts) -

This is probably the only Pokemon title that I would ever be interested in ever again. Of course it may end up being too simplistic for my tastes (because they aren't going to make a hardcore SRPG using the Pokemon license), but the idea of Samurai battling each other with pokemon sounds like the product of the best kind of self-aware fanfiction.

#4 Posted by mazik765 (2315 posts) -

Wait....so someone said 'what if feudal-era Japanese warlords had Pokemon' and made it into a turn-based strategy game?

I'm in.

#5 Posted by Enigma777 (6073 posts) -
#6 Posted by Pepsiman (2477 posts) -

I was just planning on buying the Japanese version at some point while I was still in Japan simply because I actually half-expected it to not get localized given the general state of the DS market (they didn't bother localizing the Pokemon typing game for the DS, although understandably so), but I just might hold off on that knowing that this English release is a thing. I haven't decided one way or the other, especially since Japanese games have a great knack to drop in price really, really quickly. Like said, though, I'm pretty into the basic concept on a meta level and am interested to see how it pans out in practice and it looks like, title change aside, all of the Japanese history motifs are staying intact. It also seems like it's been getting pretty good reception on the Japanese side from what I've been seeing, so there's that, too.

#7 Posted by Hailinel (24798 posts) -

@Pepsiman said:

I was just planning on buying the Japanese version at some point while I was still in Japan simply because I actually half-expected it to not get localized given the general state of the DS market (they didn't bother localizing the Pokemon typing game for the DS, although understandably so), but I just might hold off on that knowing that this English release is a thing. I haven't decided one way or the other, especially since Japanese games have a great knack to drop in price really, really quickly. Like said, though, I'm pretty into the basic concept on a meta level and am interested to see how it pans out in practice and it looks like, title change aside, all of the Japanese history motifs are staying intact. It also seems like it's been getting pretty good reception on the Japanese side from what I've been seeing, so there's that, too.

Yeah, the concept alone is oddly meta enough to make it interesting. I'm not the biggest fan of Pokemon, but this is definitely a game that I want to try out.

#8 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

@mazik765 said:

Wait....so someone said 'what if feudal-era Japanese warlords had Pokemon' and made it into a turn-based strategy game?

I'm in.

Things like this should happen more often.

#9 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

How have I not posted in this thread yet?

#10 Posted by ttocs (763 posts) -

I just recently realized that the game is an RTS style game.  I'm definitely in for this one.

#11 Posted by AndrewB (7614 posts) -

Isn't it a Tactics game? A dumbed down one, from what I hear, but I'm a sucker for Tactics style games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.