Do you tap A/B when throwing pokeball?

• 0 results
#1 Posted by Eric_Buck (1289 posts) -

I have been tapping B when I throw a pokeball (and when it is catching the pokemon) since forever. Do you guys do this or know if it does anything?

#2 Posted by JJWeatherman (14560 posts) -

lol. I thought I was the only freak that did that. I try to tap A every time the pokeball shakes. I'm weird.  :P

#3 Posted by Somadude (549 posts) -

I hold the A button, I don't think it does anything at all.
#4 Posted by Cwaff (1260 posts) -

I used to hold A while playing Pokemon and then realised what I was doing and how it made no difference, so I don't do anything anymore.
After observing friends I noticed they all have their own thing, some tap directional buttons, some mash A or B and one Holds left and A while seeing how much damage an attack does!

#5 Posted by SaintMits (191 posts) -

I tap A.

It definitely helps.

#6 Posted by JJWeatherman (14560 posts) -
@Somadude said:
" I hold the A button, I don't think it does anything at all. "
Yeah i'm pretty sure it's fruitless. I'm a little OCD sometimes though and I get set in my ways.

I even tap A with a little more conviction when I'm trying to catch a pokemon I really want.  : )
#7 Posted by Organicalistic_ (2954 posts) -

I hold A and B every time.

#8 Posted by Illmatic (1358 posts) -

I close my eyes when catching a pokemon I really want as if looking at the screen will jynx it for me.
I used to hold A and B together back with Red and Blue version after a friend told me it increased your chances to catch pokemon. It didn't help me logically that a pokemon I couldn't catch normally was suddenly held inside the pokeball when I finally tried it out for the first time.

#9 Posted by AlwaysAngry (2924 posts) -

I imagine the Pokeball about to burst open every second. I think as hard as I can. Why? Because the game never gives you what you want, so if you want the Pokemon to escape, the Pokemon will be captured. I interact not by button mashing, but with my mind.

#10 Posted by Toxin066 (3306 posts) -

You have to hold down and b to ensure capture success.

#11 Posted by Crono11 (1650 posts) -

Just to make sure everyone knows, pressing any buttons during the catching process doesn't do anything. As soon as you press to throw the pokeball the game already knows if it's going to catch the thing or not.

#12 Posted by Hao_Kaiser (31 posts) -

I tap 'A' when the pokeball opens,  hold it for the first two shakes, and then release. 

I can't remember why I started (I want to say I got some Nintendo email that said to do as much, but that sounds ridiculous), but I do know I started while playing through LeafGreen. 

I dunno. Seems to work for me. Hahaha

#13 Posted by Blair (2513 posts) -

I do all kinds of tapping and button pressing.   It does nothing I'm sure, but it's from the irrational remnants of my childhood.

#14 Posted by Synthballs (2193 posts) -

Hammer every button like I'm playing a Fighting Game.

#15 Posted by Mistzero (323 posts) -

hold b and and left direction button

#16 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -
Pokemon Catch Rate 

Approximately, the probability of catching a Pokémon starts with the species' catch rate divided by 255. Then it is multiplied by the following factors:

• The health of the Pokémon (relative to its full health), which can penalize up to ⅓× at full health.
  • The type of Poké Ball, which can augment by some ×.
  • The status of the wild Pokémon, i.e. 2× increase for sleep or freeze, and 1.5× for others.

The effects stack multiplicatively — for example, a 2× and a 3× will combine to be 6×. If the calculation ends up greater than 1, the wild Pokémon is assured to be caught.

Button presses do not enter the equation at all. 
#17 Posted by Dtat (1623 posts) -

I used to alternate A and B. I'm glad other people did this!
#18 Posted by robownz7 (40 posts) -
@Meowayne:
Way to crush the hopes and dreams of a generation. 

I hit up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, b, a, select, start,spin the game boy around on the table and hop on one foot blindfolded. Works everytime.
#19 Posted by MattyFTM (14419 posts) -

No, it would be a waste of my effort. It doesn't affect the catch rate at all.

#20 Posted by DarkHeroZark (175 posts) -

I subscribe to the Down + B method.  I've done it all my life and I can't stop.

#21 Posted by ThePaleKing (613 posts) -

I tap A. How can anyone expect to catch pokemons without tapping A? 

#22 Posted by hinderk (690 posts) -

When I was a kid I heard that rapidly pressing a while the ball is thrown then holding a and b after the Pokemon was inside the ball would guarantee the capture.I now know that this is bullshit, but I still do it anyway.

#23 Posted by dbz1995 (4790 posts) -
@DarkHeroZark said:
" I subscribe to the Down + B method.  I've done it all my life and I can't stop. "
Interesting, I do down+A.
#24 Posted by Arkkazeal (110 posts) -

I press both buttons as the ball shakes. Everytime I test it on an emulator, against some full health Pidgey or something at the start of the game, the ball always breaks if I do nothing, but its an easy capture if I do press.

#25 Posted by JJOR64 (19024 posts) -

#26 Posted by Webby (720 posts) -

Up, down, left, right, A + start......opps wrong game

#27 Posted by Spoonybard37 (300 posts) -

I've been doing it for years, now i know im not alone!

#28 Posted by psyborg0815 (444 posts) -

I didn't need to press anything in red/blue, because I multiplied the master ball.

#29 Posted by TooWalrus (13240 posts) -

I've been doing it ever since I played Pokemon Red on my blue Gameboy Pocket. (I always hit Up +B.) I think I had read some fake cheat code as a kid and convinced myself that it up'd the odds of catching the pokemon.

#30 Posted by alexrules (1 posts) -

After observing friends I noticed they all have their own thing, some tap directional buttons, some mash A or B and one Holds left and A while seeing how much damage an attack does! "           

hahahaha i thought that i was the only one that does that! when i hit something i always hold left and b, and when i get hit i hold right and a. when its a pokemon i want, i hold right and b cuz, you know, its like b is the other pokemon and the left is keeping its health higher so i dfont kill it. wow.
"

#31 Posted by Kbm600 (446 posts) -

You have to press every button to catch it for sure.

Even the power one.

#32 Posted by VoodooTerror (607 posts) -

down and b for me as soon as the pokemon is in the ball, it doesnt do a thing but its a weird habit ive had ever since red and blue

#33 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -
@Meowayne said:
"Pokemon Catch Rate 

Approximately, the probability of catching a Pokémon starts with the species' catch rate divided by 255. Then it is multiplied by the following factors:

• The health of the Pokémon (relative to its full health), which can penalize up to ⅓× at full health.
  • The type of Poké Ball, which can augment by some ×.
  • The status of the wild Pokémon, i.e. 2× increase for sleep or freeze, and 1.5× for others.

The effects stack multiplicatively — for example, a 2× and a 3× will combine to be 6×. If the calculation ends up greater than 1, the wild Pokémon is assured to be caught.

Button presses do not enter the equation at all.  "

You know shit just got real when someone throws out mathematical equations
#34 Posted by FlipperDesert (2098 posts) -
"Psst! I heard if you press up and B when you throw a pokeball it turns into a master ball!" Kids are stupid.

In short, yes, but only out of habit.
#35 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

I used to do down and B, but it seems like it backfires more often than not in heart gold and soul silver so I quickly learned to stop.

#36 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:
" No, it would be a waste of my effort. It doesn't affect the catch rate at all. "
#37 Posted by TheSilentTruth (1124 posts) -

I did until I found out that that it does nothing what-so-ever.

#38 Posted by Ryax (4630 posts) -

i hold L+R+START+A+B+Y+X+SELECT+ i tap the screen + i move the volume up and down + i turn the power off and on too

#39 Posted by Gamer_152 (14091 posts) -

I've never done it because I know for a fact it doesn't increase catch rates, despite what some people think.

#40 Posted by Ramyun (664 posts) -

Yup, I admit to be an A + B alternator when I'm catching my Pokemon. It's definitely a placebo effect kinda thing but that just how I roll!!

#41 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

Down and B as soon as the ball opens, and up and B for ultra balls.
But I broke the habbit with Ruby/Sapphire when they changed a lot of the animations and it no longer felt like it was having an effect.

But for the record, no combination of buttons or tapping ever has ever had an effect on the capture rate.

#42 Posted by thejamster (263 posts) -

i hold a from when i press the throw button then switch to holding b as soon as it hits.  I know this doesn't do anything but i caught a Articuno with a pokeball with full health which was pretty awesome

#43 Posted by shadows_kill (3165 posts) -

only thing i do is if its a legendary and i swear everytime i throw any type of pokeball after a lil battle and then just throw my ds to the ground or turn it away... its a 100% cetch rate...

#44 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19372 posts) -

I thought I had read somewhere that tapping the buttons actually worked...  Guess not.  I usually just rapidly tap A.

#45 Posted by demontium (4710 posts) -
@crono11: Pressing B used to auto release the pokeman
#46 Posted by Sanryd (1362 posts) -

I used to have this convoluted directional + A/B alternating method that I used, but have since given up and just hold A.

#47 Posted by Crono11 (1650 posts) -
@demontium: 
When did it do that?
#48 Posted by demontium (4710 posts) -
@crono11: I believe ruby / sapphire.
#49 Posted by DanielJW (4915 posts) -

In my neck of the woods, you rolled your thumb around the D-pad. 

#50 Posted by Crono11 (1650 posts) -
@demontium:   I just tried it in my Sapphire and caught a Wurmple while hammering on the B button.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.