Running vs. walking in tall grass

#1 Posted by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -

I think Jeff said in the QL of this game that running through tall grass has a higher chance to attract wild pokemon battles. I have been playing pokemon games forever and never realized that this happened. Is it really true, or was Jeff totally wrong?

#2 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

Yes it is true. I actually only realized it when playing Pearl a few years ago. Don't know if it is a new feature, but I aint running in no tall grass anymore.

#3 Posted by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -
@Br3adfan: OK, interesting. So I would guess that in caves and other wild pokemon areas, the same rule applies?
#4 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -
@JJWeatherman: I'm not totally sure, but it seems like it may be that way. I always seem to run into more wild Pokemon than usual when I run through caves and etc.
#5 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

Excuse me if i'm being an idiot but I don't remember the option to toggle run/walking in Pokemon : Crystal?

#6 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -

Is there actually?
Or as you are running are you hitting the battle quicker than you would have if you were walking?

Does that make sense?

I stopped playing Pokemon at Red, just gimme a Dragonite and Charizard and I'm a happy man.

#7 Posted by Allprox (534 posts) -

Yeah it's true. Also, cycling gives you even more of a chance to encounter wild pokemon than running.

#8 Posted by brodywb (190 posts) -

There is a guy in town when you get the shoes. He tells you that running makes more noise and attracts more wild pokemon.

#9 Posted by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -
@Gizmo said:
" Excuse me if i'm being an idiot but I don't remember the option to toggle run/walking in Pokemon : Crystal? "
I never played crystal (or the original gold and silver) but I think the running shoes first showed up on the GBA games ruby and sapphire. I'm not sure though.  : (
#10 Posted by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -
@brodywb said:
" There is a guy in town when you get the shoes. He tells you that running makes more noise and attracts more wild pokemon. "
Oh, dang. I guess I just totally missed that.
#11 Posted by pakx (922 posts) -
@JJWeatherman: running did indeed begin with Generation 3 as a way to make the movement a little less stilted, some may also notice a welcome lack of Zubats in most of the caves in HG/SS, this was a specific design choice, as everybody hates Zubat, specifically late-game.
#12 Posted by Laticsfan (596 posts) -
@pakx said:
" @JJWeatherman: running did indeed begin with Generation 3 as a way to make the movement a little less stilted, some may also notice a welcome lack of Zubats in most of the caves in HG/SS, this was a specific design choice, as everybody hates Zubat, specifically late-game. "
Omg I thought I was the only one to completely hate them damn Zubats!
#13 Posted by AjayRaz (12418 posts) -

really? I always knew that. ever since silver. 

#14 Posted by Pazy (2561 posts) -

I never realised this, perhaps because after Gold I never played until Pearl (or was it Diamond) and I didnt play a lot of it. Although ive replayed Blue a bunch of times on an emulator (because the gameboy dosent have a backlit screen so its hard to play) and use a speed toggle to run places since im lazy.

#15 Posted by Ghostiet (5223 posts) -

As I walk into the fucking grass in every Pokemon game to fight and grind my kids and I make circles there on purpose, I never noticed that.

#16 Posted by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

Yeah ive known that for a while.

#17 Posted by JJOR64 (18904 posts) -

This is true.  Also riding your bike makes Pokemon come even faster then running.

#18 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19307 posts) -

Definitely true.  This is why I always took out my bike and rode around like mad when I was doing some intense EV training on my Ghost team: it made the whole process faster.

#19 Posted by Aaox (1657 posts) -

The obvious solution is really just to never move anywhere, ever.

#20 Posted by President_Evil (185 posts) -

Now if only we could run diagonally...
#21 Posted by gakon (1945 posts) -
@Ineedaname said:
" Is there actually? Or as you are running are you hitting the battle quicker than you would have if you were walking?  Does that make sense?  I stopped playing Pokemon at Red, just gimme a Dragonite and Charizard and I'm a happy man. "
This makes more sense.  If we can assume there's some kind of die roll happening every time you move to determine if you're going to find a battle, if you're running, the dice are rolling more often and you will more quickly find a battle.  So it's not necessarily a programming difference more than some basic logic.
#22 Posted by Supermarius (1196 posts) -

i think it increases your chance to encounter a wild pokemon per unit time but not per step. Your chance to encounter a pokemon in any given step is the same, but you step faster.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.