Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon Platinum

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Sep 13, 2008

The third game in the 4th generation of Pokémon games, Platinum expands on the gameplay of Diamond and Pearl, adding new features, and improving old ones.

Pokemon Platinum Impressions

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

Edited By sweep  Moderator

No Caption Provided
    I's amazing how easy it is to get into a crazed Pokemon fuelled frenzy in the IRC. People seem to love talking about their favourite pokemon, their strategy's, which starting pokemon they picked, where the best pokemon can be found, how to get a balanced team. The joy of pokemon for me always was routed directly from being in a group of people who shared my enthusiasm. Pokemon was always a social activity, and as I grew older the enthusiasm waned as my friends turned to alcohol instead of gameboys for amusement. Fair play to them, but a little naive in their dismissal. Pokemon remains one of the most charming and in-depth games available, which is proven by it's consistently high sales figures. The historical titles which I bested reads like a treasure trove of precious materials:
    and as of earlier this week:

Having gone to all the trouble of building myself a DS I'm going to take full advantage of any pokemon games it has to offer. I'm now about 14 hours into my pokemon adventure. I'm taking my time, visiting every house, making sure my team is up to scratch. It ain't easy being a pokemon trainer. The value of pokemon lies within the potential for exploration, using HM's to negate the environment efficiently, hunting out trainers, scattered pokeballs, gym leaders. There's so much to DO, and the fluency in which each event takes place is an exemplary lesson in videogame design, directing the player without ordering or imposing any direct pressure to comply.

The Beef

Part of the reason I seem to be enjoying pokemon Platinum so much is it's very much a return to the basics. Every pokemon games is similar in terms of structure, but Platinum seems like the closest you can get to playing pokemon Red without actually doing so. Every element of the essential pokemon adventure is present. There's your rival, who always picks the pokemon with a Type advantage over your own. There's the Professor Oak type mentor who hands you your pokedex and sends you on your way. There's a mysterious criminal organisation stealing pokemon and trying to capture the most powerful pokemon in the world. There's the haunted tower, the game corner, the bike, the fishing rods (OLD, GOOD, SUPER), the day care center - it all counts, it all contributes to creating a game that is very much a Pokemon adventure. Every time I discover something new I get a burst of nostalgia and gratitude towards the designers. It's a pokemon game for trainers old and new.

Outside the new Floaroma Town, Pokemon Platinum.
    By the time I reached Emerald the pokemon Universe had got a little convoluted. The contests halls, the berry blenders, pokemon personalities and happiness levels, furniture, hold items, all sort of crazy new attacks and hundreds of new pokemon which were both dull and lacking in the inspired simple charm of the originals. The amount of obligatory HM's required to traverse the landscape were a specific irksome issue with me; having to teach my pokemon a set of boring attacks that took up several precious move slots was incredibly tedious. My team usually contains a single Water pokemon, having to teach it SURF, WATERFALL and DIVE defied the point of creating so many variations of water type monsters as they would all inevitably end up learning the same moves. Platinum seems to have trumped this strategy with an effective lack of necessity where HM's are concerned. There will always be a bottle-neck in the story where a specific attack is required but in general (for example) having to cut down tree's to progress is entirely optional. Using HM's now provides short-cuts, as oppose to essential passageways. This means, should you find a section of the map which requires you to CUT and you left your Scyther back in Box 3 (Fool!) you can simply walk around through the long grass. For me, this is perfect.

No Caption Provided
    Another strength of Platinum is its return to the core of the series - the Pokemon themselves. More often than not I find pokemon from the original games, both in battles and in the wild, much to my delight. The new pokemon are there, and it's always exciting to find something new, but perhaps I have grown cynical in my old age because the design of the new Pokemon always seems so complicated and impractical. Their presence in Platinum is bearable, though I could have waved goodbye to every Marill in existence without shedding a tear.

One great joy is actually the aesthetic of the game, which works tremendously well. The edges of the screen very gently tilt away away from the center so the plane on which you walk is a very soft sphere, similar to Animal Crossing but not nearly as dramatic. The buildings have received a stunning visual upgrade, and it's actually very impressive walking beneath windmills and towering skyscrapers. The touchscreen isn't particularly useful. It feels a little gimmicky, its sort of like a watch with a load of low-poly apps on it like a calculator. I tend to just put it on the Pokemon Status screen so I can see their health. Meh, I'm sure it has it's uses. In battle you can use it to pick attacks and actions, but I couldnt be fucked to keep getting out the stylus so I just used the buttons. Check out this crazy japanese trailer:

The game plays like every other pokemon game you have played. It's not especially inspired or new, but it does feel fresh. It's a comfortingly familiar romp through a new world. Creating a team which is both strong and unique to the player is great fun. It's very satisfying if you have a specific pokemon you want and you finally capture it. But for me the great strength of Pokemon is it's universal appeal and how easily it is to lapse into intense discussion with Pokemon peers. I know Thordain revels in the oppurtunity to tell people about his Nidoqueen (it learnt SURF apparently...) and the general consensus in the IRC is that Squirtle is the best starting Pokemon. Ever.

The online chunk of Platinum remains unavailable to me at the moment, i'm having some problems with my router. They should be sorted next week when I return to Uni. ZeroCast informs me that it's awesome. I will write an update when I get the chance.

I guess all that remains is to let you know that my team currently consists of:
    • Monferno
    • Golbat
    • Eevee (it's going to be a Vaporeon)
    • Scyther
    • Luxio
    • Likitung
    No Caption Provided
    Once I get my wifi sorted out I will post my friend code or whatever it is I need to do and we will BATTLE. Sweet.

Thanks For Reading
    Love Sweep
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By sweep  Moderator

No Caption Provided
    I's amazing how easy it is to get into a crazed Pokemon fuelled frenzy in the IRC. People seem to love talking about their favourite pokemon, their strategy's, which starting pokemon they picked, where the best pokemon can be found, how to get a balanced team. The joy of pokemon for me always was routed directly from being in a group of people who shared my enthusiasm. Pokemon was always a social activity, and as I grew older the enthusiasm waned as my friends turned to alcohol instead of gameboys for amusement. Fair play to them, but a little naive in their dismissal. Pokemon remains one of the most charming and in-depth games available, which is proven by it's consistently high sales figures. The historical titles which I bested reads like a treasure trove of precious materials:
    and as of earlier this week:

Having gone to all the trouble of building myself a DS I'm going to take full advantage of any pokemon games it has to offer. I'm now about 14 hours into my pokemon adventure. I'm taking my time, visiting every house, making sure my team is up to scratch. It ain't easy being a pokemon trainer. The value of pokemon lies within the potential for exploration, using HM's to negate the environment efficiently, hunting out trainers, scattered pokeballs, gym leaders. There's so much to DO, and the fluency in which each event takes place is an exemplary lesson in videogame design, directing the player without ordering or imposing any direct pressure to comply.

The Beef

Part of the reason I seem to be enjoying pokemon Platinum so much is it's very much a return to the basics. Every pokemon games is similar in terms of structure, but Platinum seems like the closest you can get to playing pokemon Red without actually doing so. Every element of the essential pokemon adventure is present. There's your rival, who always picks the pokemon with a Type advantage over your own. There's the Professor Oak type mentor who hands you your pokedex and sends you on your way. There's a mysterious criminal organisation stealing pokemon and trying to capture the most powerful pokemon in the world. There's the haunted tower, the game corner, the bike, the fishing rods (OLD, GOOD, SUPER), the day care center - it all counts, it all contributes to creating a game that is very much a Pokemon adventure. Every time I discover something new I get a burst of nostalgia and gratitude towards the designers. It's a pokemon game for trainers old and new.

By the time I reached Emerald the pokemon Universe had got a little convoluted. The contests halls, the berry blenders, pokemon personalities and happiness levels, furniture, hold items, all sort of crazy new attacks and hundreds of new pokemon which were both dull and lacking in the inspired simple charm of the originals. The amount of obligatory HM's required to traverse the landscape were a specific irksome issue with me; having to teach my pokemon a set of boring attacks that took up several precious move slots was incredibly tedious. My team usually contains a single Water pokemon, having to teach it SURF, WATERFALL and DIVE defied the point of creating so many variations of water type monsters as they would all inevitably end up learning the same moves. Platinum seems to have trumped this strategy with an effective lack of necessity where HM's are concerned. There will always be a bottle-neck in the story where a specific attack is required but in general (for example) having to cut down tree's to progress is entirely optional. Using HM's now provides short-cuts, as oppose to essential passageways. This means, should you find a section of the map which requires you to CUT and you left your Scyther back in Box 3 (Fool!) you can simply walk around through the long grass. For me, this is perfect.

No Caption Provided
    Another strength of Platinum is its return to the core of the series - the Pokemon themselves. More often than not I find pokemon from the original games, both in battles and in the wild, much to my delight. The new pokemon are there, and it's always exciting to find something new, but perhaps I have grown cynical in my old age because the design of the new Pokemon always seems so complicated and impractical. Their presence in Platinum is bearable, though I could have waved goodbye to every Marill in existence without shedding a tear.

One great joy is actually the aesthetic of the game, which works tremendously well. The edges of the screen very gently tilt away away from the center so the plane on which you walk is a very soft sphere, similar to Animal Crossing but not nearly as dramatic. The buildings have received a stunning visual upgrade, and it's actually very impressive walking beneath windmills and towering skyscrapers. The touchscreen isn't particularly useful. It feels a little gimmicky, its sort of like a watch with a load of low-poly apps on it like a calculator. I tend to just put it on the Pokemon Status screen so I can see their health. Meh, I'm sure it has it's uses. In battle you can use it to pick attacks and actions, but I couldnt be fucked to keep getting out the stylus so I just used the buttons. Check out this crazy japanese trailer:

The game plays like every other pokemon game you have played. It's not especially inspired or new, but it does feel fresh. It's a comfortingly familiar romp through a new world. Creating a team which is both strong and unique to the player is great fun. It's very satisfying if you have a specific pokemon you want and you finally capture it. But for me the great strength of Pokemon is it's universal appeal and how easily it is to lapse into intense discussion with Pokemon peers. I know Thordain revels in the oppurtunity to tell people about his Nidoqueen (it learnt SURF apparently...) and the general consensus in the IRC is that Squirtle is the best starting Pokemon. Ever.

The online chunk of Platinum remains unavailable to me at the moment, i'm having some problems with my router. They should be sorted next week when I return to Uni. ZeroCast informs me that it's awesome. I will write an update when I get the chance.

I guess all that remains is to let you know that my team currently consists of:
    • Monferno
    • Golbat
    • Eevee (it's going to be a Vaporeon)
    • Scyther
    • Luxio
    • Likitung
    No Caption Provided
    Once I get my wifi sorted out I will post my friend code or whatever it is I need to do and we will BATTLE. Sweet.

Thanks For Reading
    Love Sweep
    Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Coltonio7

Awesome blog Sweep...but I'm not sure I can get back into a pokemon game. All my pokemon memories were in the car on road trips with my dad, desperatley looking for batteries when we got to a hotel. I can't replace that experience!

(( Also, berry blending does indeed suck major ass ))

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Red

Pokemon is the easiest thing to get nostalgic about. I haven't had Platinum on my radar since I beat Diamond, but since I'm moving and my consoles will be boxed up for months, I have a feeling that I'll end up crawling back to Pokemon. Also: Bulbasaur is the best starting pokemon. Ever.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By oldschool

I finally get to play a new Pokemon.  I always get the last one as my daughters got Diamond and Pearl.  Can't wait.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By mracoon

I've never played a pokemon game since Yellow but Platinum looks like the game to reel me back in. I'm glad it's similar to the originals because then I can jump right back in and not have to learn anything new.

phlegms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By phlegms

I wasnt going to buy this game, but dammit now I am.
    Looks like sweep's amazing persuasion skills have struck again...

Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Fosssil

Great write-up. I haven't played a Pokemon game in years -- mostly because I'm bit of a traditionalist and didn't find any enjoyment in all of the superfluous additions they made to the newer games -- but Platinum looks very good, so I'll probably give it a spin.

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mushir

I really want to buy a DS, this game is one of the biggest reasons I want to. Its been so long since I've played a Pokémon game now.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By crunchUK

reading this makes me wanna finish dimaond

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By CL60

If you've played through Diamond or Pearl is it worth it too get platinum?

ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ZeroCast

Really enjoyed that read Sweep, it wouldn't be an understatement if i said that i grow up on Pokemon, the days of Red And Gold still have a special place in my heart because games like these and the nostalgia feel they bring is something that can never be forgotten.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#12  Edited By LordAndrew

I recently started playing Pokémon Diamond again fro the first time since July.
    Pokémon Platinum's lack of reliance on HMs sounds pretty good. I hate carrying pokémon I'm not planning on using just because they have an essential skill like Cut. And there's no way I'm going to teach another pokémon a skill that won't help it in battle. So I'm pretty much screwed either way.
    Even despite that, I still do seem to be enjoying Diamond.

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By suneku

I haven't played a Pokemon game since Yellow. I'm kind of tempted to pick up platinum. Maybe when I have nothing to do.

Virago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Virago

Not gonna lie, I'm not going to play it. (surprise, i know) However, it looks pretty sweet.
    So you mention the aesthetics. A+, then? Would you rated higher than a gold fish in spandex? At least it feels fresh. I would imagine a game as ancient (cough cough) as pokemon would tend to fall into a rut, but it sounds like it kept familiarity yet wasn't drab. innnnteresting.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.