Bulbasaur, Charmander, or Squirtle?

• 120 results
#51 Posted by BD (251 posts) -

First time I played Bulbasuar second Charmander. I never EVER used squirtle...ever

#52 Posted by Bigvic785 (120 posts) -

Squirtle is the best. Wartortle has horns, and Blastoise has guns on his shoulder

#53 Posted by HistoryInRust (6279 posts) -
BD said:
"First time I played Bulbasuar second Charmander. I never EVER used squirtle...ever"
You have not lived. 
#54 Posted by atejas (3057 posts) -

First gen starters were the best.
Grass starters have sucked ever since.
Also Squirtle, motherfucker.

#55 Posted by Bulldog19892 (1795 posts) -

The first time, I picked Bulbasuar. Really it doesn't matter which one you pick, by the end all three kick awesome amounts of ass.

#56 Posted by albedos_shadow (1485 posts) -

Charmander 4ever!

#57 Posted by Kindrik (71 posts) -

I was a Charmander guy, and have pretty much stuck with the fire guy for every game since. Silver/Gold made it tough with Totodile though.

#58 Posted by Samus_Aran (4 posts) -

I liked Charmander and his evolution stages the best.

#59 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3500 posts) -

Charmander.  I only played the game from the beginning once though.  If I did it again, I would try Squirtle.

#60 Posted by Cancerianman (22 posts) -

Wow! I'm really suprised to hear that not that many people picked Bulbasaur. He was my first pokemon and I will never forget it. I thought that he was a great pokemon and I have picked him on many other occasions. Although I did pick charmander on my blue version game.

#61 Edited by Lieutenant (347 posts) -

I played through the game at least 50 times and I almost always chose Charmander. Char-fuckin'-zard, man.

#62 Posted by Axersia (1613 posts) -
Cancerianman said:
"Wow! I'm really suprised to hear that not that many people picked Bulbasaur. He was my first pokemon and I will never forget it. I thought that he was a great pokemon and I have picked him on many other occasions. Although I did pick charmander on my blue version game."
I'm surprised as well. If you followed the show you'd know he's the best Pokemon to start with because you'll have an easy time with the first couple of gym battles. I know lots of people who picked him because of that.

Personally, I've always liked water Pokemon best and always pick them as my starter Pokemon on my first playthrough. My very first Pokemon ever was Totodile in Silver, but I didn't get to pick Squirtle until I bought LeafGreen because I never owned the original Red/Blue (just Yellow). I also picked Mudkip in Sapphire and intend to continue this tradition by picking Piplup when I get Platinum (will be my first 4th generation game).
#63 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

Bulbasaur, although that was mainly because my brother and sister all wanted us to have different starters. If I had to choose now it'd be Charmander, but Bulby's still pretty awesome.

#64 Posted by Cwaff (1260 posts) -

Charmander :)

#65 Posted by KindGalaxy (429 posts) -
queers. also, I picked Charmander cos he was a dragon and fire type, but always ended up focusing on rock type later on cos Geodude is awesome
#66 Posted by Mushir (2389 posts) -

Charmander. Although the first couple of bosses were VERY hard with him, later he became the killing machine.

#67 Posted by Jayge_ (10222 posts) -

SQUIRTLE MUTHAFUCKA. BLASTOISE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE PEW PEW PEW NUGGAAAAAAHZ.

#68 Posted by HistoryInRust (6279 posts) -
Twilight said:
"Charmander. Although the first couple of bosses were VERY hard with him, later he became the killing machine."
Total killing maching.  Love Charizard and his weakness to everything.
#69 Posted by thebipsnbeeps (545 posts) -

I do believe I had Pokemon Red first, and got a Charmander, because it had a flame on the end of its tail, and therefore was cool. It was either that, or I had Pokemon Blue first, and got a Squirtle, because, as somebody has already said before me, he evolves into an own-induced blastoise. I don't believe I have ever had a bulbasaur until the GBA rerelease of those games.

#70 Posted by Burns09 (340 posts) -

Pokemon red, Charmander. 

#71 Posted by TobbRobb (4581 posts) -

Leave the poor dead thread alone. :P

Charmander.

#72 Posted by Gold_Skulltulla (209 posts) -
#73 Posted by Demoskinos (14596 posts) -

Koffing is the only way to go.

#74 Edited by Blackout62 (1331 posts) -

When the first two gym leaders are rock and water trainers I know the smart move would be Squirtle.

That being said in my youth I went with the lizard with the fiery tail and persevered against unfavorable odds.

#75 Posted by MightyDuck (1511 posts) -

I always went with Squirtle.

#76 Posted by blueinferno (442 posts) -

Charmander. Always play with fire, bitches.

#77 Posted by Bigheart711 (1253 posts) -

I chose Charmander. Still love him to this day.

#78 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2209 posts) -

Always fire type. Always Charmander

#79 Posted by falling_fast (2192 posts) -

charmander turns into a goddamn dragon.

#80 Posted by NegativeCero (2976 posts) -
@damnable_fiend

Yep.
#81 Posted by blueinferno (442 posts) -

@damnable_fiend said:

Exactly. But then again, Squirtle turns into a giant sea monster thing with mounted cannons.....but dragon still wins.

#82 Posted by mrpandaman (864 posts) -

1 Charmander 1 Charmeleon 1 Charizard

2 Bulbasaur 2 Ivysaur 2 Blastoise

3 Squirtle 3 Wartortle 3 Venusaur

Rating based on the 3 evolutions.

I almost always picked my pokemon by how cool or badass they looked to me. Charmander turns into a dragon. Squirtle turns into a turtle with cannons. Bulbasaur turns into Ivysaur which I think looks awesome, but then turns into Venusaur who looks like it has been smoking the weeds off its body.

#83 Posted by Drumminjay108 (93 posts) -

Charmander all the way

#84 Posted by GiantBomber (350 posts) -

@Christopper: Cheeserolls

#85 Posted by Toxin066 (3260 posts) -

Charmander. Always bet on fire.

#86 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I'd eat a charmander first. Bulbasaur seems like the vegetarian option, so I'd skip that. I'm not sure how a squirtle would taste.

#87 Posted by Blimble (302 posts) -

Charmander. Dude is on fire and doesn't give a shit cause he is that badass

#88 Posted by VoodooTatum (67 posts) -

Bulbasaur. It's not even a choice. I mean just look at him!

#89 Posted by That1BlackGuy (217 posts) -

Bulbasaur then Charmander then Squirtle, which is weird since I typically like turtle creatures.

#90 Posted by AlisterCat (5489 posts) -

In the original games it was balanced, but they kind of broke the balance after the original 3 games because they introduced metal claw in to his moveset, meaning he can easily breeze through the rock type gym at the start when originally he wouldn't have.

#91 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

Charmander > Squirtle > Bulbasaur

Wartortle > Ivysaur > Charmeleon

Charizard > Blastoise > Venusaur

I would rarely pick Bulbasaur.

#92 Posted by INFINITE_CASH (194 posts) -

Charmander. Fire pokemon are awesome.

#93 Posted by Mcfart (1571 posts) -

Charmander is the best since Charzard has high Attack/Speed which is necessary for a sweeper (kill shit!). Also, fire pokemon in the first gen was like Growlith and Flareon. Both unobtainable till later on, and not as good as Charmander. Oh, and his flying subtype means Wing Attack to kill stuff too.

Squirtle is a water pokemon (super common), and really slow. A billion Pokemon can use surf effectivly, so why use Squirtle? Also no subtype.

Bulbasaur is also slow as shit, and he gained a Poison subtype, which was suicidal in Red/Blue since Psychic was so prevelent (no real weaknesses, so everyone and his mother had an Alakazam). Plus, there wasen't any poisen attacks back then.

Venasaur is more useful in fire red/lead green since Sludge Bomb or Sunny Solar Beam. But there wasen't even Sunny Day in Red/Blue so Solar Beam was a piece of lint in your ass.

#94 Posted by DjTann3r (214 posts) -

Charmander, no hesitation.

#95 Posted by stalefishies (330 posts) -

OK, let me start by saying that, if you just pick on which one is the coolest, then that's totally subjective so when you pick Charmander because it turns into a fucking dragon, then I'm totally OK with that.

However, I don't pick Pokémon because they're the coolest. I pick them because they're the fightingest. And if you want to choose the most fightingest Pokémon, there's only one choice. Squirtle.

I recently actually replayed Pokémon Blue, trading as soon as possible to get all three starters, so I have a really good sense of how they compare to each other, and it's not even close; Squirtle is by far and away the best fighter out of the three.

If you're playing through the main game, the only real thing that matters is what attacks you have, what types those attacks are and how much damage do they do. Since you can just full restore everything else away, if you're not attacking, you're losing. In this respect, Charizard is pretty bad, and Venusaur is just plain awful.

Charizard has a few different moves at his disposal, but apart from Fire, all you're limited to is Fighting (Submission, with recoil, or Seismic Toss, which does fixed damage every time), Ground (Dig and Earthquake are both great), and Normal (Slash, or Strength for the HM). Sure, Slash and Earthquake are good, but when all you have left are recoil moves and Ember it really starts to suck. Did I mention Ember? All Charizard has for fire moves is Ember until Blaine for the Fire Blast TM or, at best, Charmander learns Flamethrower at level 38. Charizard's stuck with Ember until level forty-fucking-six. Trying to work your way through Silph Co with the same Fire move you were using 20 levels ago is just dire. And that's it; no flying moves, not even Fly which Charizard can't learn until Pokemon Yellow.

Venusaur is a much simpler affair; teach it Razor Leaf, teach it the Body Slam TM, and that's it. Mega Drain sucks for damage, Razor Leaf almost always crits so there's no point to Solarbeam, and Body Slam is the best normal move this side of Slash. There are no other options, all that's left is Toxic, Sleep Powder and Leech Seed, so aside from the Toxic/Leech Seed glitch there is nothing apart from boring status ailments or moves that are just straight-up worse than the ones you already have.

But Blastoise? You consistently have a fantastic water move (Bubble -> Water Gun -> BubbleBeam TM -> Surf or Hydro Pump), Earthquake and Dig are still amazing, Body Slam (or Strength if you want another HM) are great, and that final slot can be filled by Blastoise's pi èce de résistance: Ice Beam. (Or Blizzard if you love running out of PP.) Plus, the moves you learn with Squirtle are the only ones that actually seem properly paced with the game; Bubble for Brock, you learn Bite pretty much perfectly timed for the Misty fight, Dig for Lt. Surge, Ice Beam from the Celadon Dept. Store for Erika, Surf for Koga...it's the only one that actually works. Not to mention that Blastoise is the only one that could win in a fight between the three starters (Blizzard for Venusaur, Hydro Pump for Charizard). Seriously, anyone who thinks anything other than Squirtle is the right choice is just crazy.

Unless, like I said, you just pick Charmander because, after all, it does turn into a dragon. And I'm not here to judge you on your weird dragon fetish. It's all cool, as long as you're cool with your Pokémon being just straight up worse than mine.

#96 Posted by SpecDotSign (166 posts) -

@stalefishies said:

OK, let me start by saying that, if you just pick on which one is the coolest, then that's totally subjective so when you pick Charmander because it turns into a fucking dragon, then I'm totally OK with that.

However, I don't pick Pokémon because they're the coolest. I pick them because they're the fightingest. And if you want to choose the most fightingest Pokémon, there's only one choice. Squirtle.

I recently actually replayed Pokémon Blue, trading as soon as possible to get all three starters, so I have a really good sense of how they compare to each other, and it's not even close; Squirtle is by far and away the best fighter out of the three.

If you're playing through the main game, the only real thing that matters is what attacks you have, what types those attacks are and how much damage do they do. Since you can just full restore everything else away, if you're not attacking, you're losing. In this respect, Charizard is pretty bad, and Venusaur is just plain awful.

Charizard has a few different moves at his disposal, but apart from Fire, all you're limited to is Fighting (Submission, with recoil, or Seismic Toss, which does fixed damage every time), Ground (Dig and Earthquake are both great), and Normal (Slash, or Strength for the HM). Sure, Slash and Earthquake are good, but when all you have left are recoil moves and Ember it really starts to suck. Did I mention Ember? All Charizard has for fire moves is Ember until Blaine for the Fire Blast TM or, at best, Charmander learns Flamethrower at level 38. Charizard's stuck with Ember until level forty-fucking-six. Trying to work your way through Silph Co with the same Fire move you were using 20 levels ago is just dire. And that's it; no flying moves, not even Fly which Charizard can't learn until Pokemon Yellow.

Venusaur is a much simpler affair; teach it Razor Leaf, teach it the Body Slam TM, and that's it. Mega Drain sucks for damage, Razor Leaf almost always crits so there's no point to Solarbeam, and Body Slam is the best normal move this side of Slash. There are no other options, all that's left is Toxic, Sleep Powder and Leech Seed, so aside from the Toxic/Leech Seed glitch there is nothing apart from boring status ailments or moves that are just straight-up worse than the ones you already have.

But Blastoise? You consistently have a fantastic water move (Bubble -> Water Gun -> BubbleBeam TM -> Surf or Hydro Pump), Earthquake and Dig are still amazing, Body Slam (or Strength if you want another HM) are great, and that final slot can be filled by Blastoise's pi èce de résistance: Ice Beam. (Or Blizzard if you love running out of PP.) Plus, the moves you learn with Squirtle are the only ones that actually seem properly paced with the game; Bubble for Brock, you learn Bite pretty much perfectly timed for the Misty fight, Dig for Lt. Surge, Ice Beam from the Celadon Dept. Store for Erika, Surf for Koga...it's the only one that actually works. Not to mention that Blastoise is the only one that could win in a fight between the three starters (Blizzard for Venusaur, Hydro Pump for Charizard). Seriously, anyone who thinks anything other than Squirtle is the right choice is just crazy.

Unless, like I said, you just pick Charmander because, after all, it does turn into a dragon. And I'm not here to judge you on your weird dragon fetish. It's all cool, as long as you're cool with your Pokémon being just straight up worse than mine.

I agree with every word you just said. Blastoise can learn so many moves including Blizzard AND Earthquake AND Fissure (one hit KO if it hits). I haven't played a Pokemon game since Ruby/Sapphire. That was until I got the Pokemon itch. I played and finished White Version, and I'm back in. I will be investing in White 2 and choose the Grass starter (I started with the doofy looking water starter in White, but his final form? One word: Majestic).

#97 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

Squirtle. He's blue.

#98 Posted by Neurotic (632 posts) -

Charmander cos I'll end up with a Charizard. Also, fire.

#99 Posted by Landon (4130 posts) -

I was a Charmander guy. He had scratch, those other assholes only had tackle.

#100 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

Let's not forget KOFFING! either.

KOFFING!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.