Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon Red/Blue

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Feb 27, 1996

Pokémon Red version and Blue version were the initial two releases in the Pokémon franchise. Red, a Pokémon trainer from Pallet Town who Ash Ketchum, the anime protagonist, was later based on, starts a journey to become a Pokémon Master and ultimately catch 'em all.

How can I play Pokemon Red?

Artie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

With the Pokemon Go craze I just want to play some Pokemon-ass Pokemon.

I had a Gameboy Color long ago which has been sold/destroyed. I own a Nintendo DS, but no other Nintendo handheld. I don't own a Gameboy Advance or a 3DS.

I have NO INTEREST in emulators. I want to play this on the go.

What are my cheapest options? Do I have to buy a $170 dollar 3DS and buy Pokemon Red digitally for $10 dollars? Seems kind of moronic that they never released it anywhere else. There's no cheaper option?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

If you lost the Gameboy but not the games, you could look into trying to find a Gameboy or Gameboy Color online, or at like, a local thrift store/pawn shop or something?

Barring that, the cheapest possible 3DS is the 2DS, which lacks the 3D but has no problem buying Pokemon Red digitally.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

A 2DS is under $100. Plus, you'll have access to the newer Pokemon games -- the last generation of which was surprisingly great, it's worth noting.

nonused

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I mean, you could probably emulate it on your iPhone or Android or whatever, if you have one. I have LeafGreen on mine, but that was more just to see if I could do it; I haven't really played it.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not much options outside of emulation other than getting a 3DS or 2DS

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Do you have an n64? Pokemon stadium --> transfer pak ----> red blue = play on tv!

Elite_Jason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you have a DS lite, I would suggest Fire Red. Having played the original on the eshop recently, I forgot how much has changed since the Gameboy and the GBA games would be the easy option.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pokemon Fire Red, GBA game that will work on your DS.

Vessel28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If your Nintendo DS isn't a DSi and can play GBA games, you could play the remakes Fire Red or Leaf Green. Not sure how much they would cost though.

MillaJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Emulating it on your phone is your cheapest option. Otherwise, 2DS.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

The remakes of gold and silver came out on the DS. It is not the originals but based on the second generation pokemon games for Gameboy Color so still very old school. I was in your position and bought the remake of Gold even though I didn't play gold or silver back in the day. Later though when they released the old games on 3DS I bought Pokemon Yellow for my 2DS.

Beyond_Recall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artie said:

Seems kind of moronic that they never released it anywhere else.

Every Nintendo handheld can play at least one version of Pokemon Red. The physical original works on GB/GBC/GBA; the digital original works on 3DS; the remake works on GBA/DS.

So unless your DS is a DSi--or you insist on having the O.G. game, rather than FireRed--you're set. Otherwise, your cheapest option may be to shell out almost $100 on Amazon for a used Game Boy and a used copy of Red.

RainDog505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

@artie: cheapest option would be nab a fifth-hand GBC or even GBA and hunt for a used Red cartridge. Prices might be spiking due to the Pokè-Craze 2.0 ongoing.

You might also want to consider that a lot of old cartridges may also have dead batteries limiting or completely destroying your ability to save. It's an easy fix but can be daunting if you go in blind.

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amazon has GBA SP's for sale for about $80-$90, get one of those before you get a 2DS. I personally think the library on the GBA is much better anything the 3DS/2DS has to offer right now.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xolare: i would agree if only because it's the only way to play some sweet sweet final fantasy tactics advance

put it on the fucking store already nintendo

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not to get side tracked on this forum but I have some related questions that maybe you all can help me with.

I have my gameboy color from childhood intact and the few games I have left still work and their batteries hold up. But the screen on the game boy is broken. I can barely seen the games on screen unless I told and hit the natural light just right. Is this a simple fix with a new lcd screen or do I need to do one of those so called mods?

wlleiotl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I emulated FireRed on my phone, it was really easy

Tired of the game in about 30 minutes like, but nice to know its there

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

Either GBA with Game Boy cartridge or 3DS virtual console release.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

As you have a DS, I'd get FireRed (or LeafGreen) which will work on it. You can probably find it cheaply online. It's still the same core game but they brought over a couple of huge quality-of-life improvements, as well as having it be in full colour.

Failing that, you could probably buy an old GameBoy Colour and the original game for not too much money - I wouldn't really recommend this though. The DS is a much more user-friendly system and you already own it. Just go for FireRed.

laxbro19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By laxbro19

Gameboy colors and gameboy SP's are quite right now. I'd try there first. The SP is a better option as it has a smaller form factor when folded, can recharge, and has a backlight on the screen for playing in the low light or in places where the sun or a lamp isn't directly over your shoulder.

One thing I will say is that your enjoyment of these games is pretty dependent upon you having a friend who is also playing alongside you. There are pokemon that are only available in Blue or only available in Red. There are also pokemon that you can only get from trading, via evolution after you get them in a trade. it's why trading was such a necessity. I have younger brothers and sisters and one of the things that we do is that we trade and battle whenever we meet during one of my school breaks during a semester. You could have an all right time without the social aspects, but it wouldn't be the full experience, so just keep that in mind. I'm sure you could go onto a message board somewhere and meet people who can trade. But whatever you do, don't be that guy who buys two gameboys and trades with himself, that's a little sad and defeats the point of the game, which is to get out there and meet people and share in the experience.

BelowStupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BelowStupid

@artie: The GBA remake Fire Red goes for about $40 on ebay. It's the same game with better graphics, so play that on your DS.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The answer to your question can be found in the paradise for emu's: the large, and majestic bird from Australia. Once you find this emu paradise, you will be showered in all the Pokemon's your heart desires.

Artie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beyond_recall: The cheapest copy of firered is over $90 dollars: https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0006GBCZU/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

So while I can technically play it on my DS, that's a ludicrous amount of money to pay for one game.

That's partly why I'm inclined to buy 3DS and get the digital version for $10 dollars. At least I'd have a new system. It seems that's the only real option here based on responses.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By doctordonkey

You could buy a gameboy color and the game for 100-120USD on ebay, shipping included. Or you could buy a 2DS & the game for the same price. Do you own a DS? Pokemon: Fire Red is a faithful remake of the original that you could get for like 20 bucks.

Barring any of these options, you could emulate it on your phone for free. If you have a 5.5 inch screen, it kinda feels like playing it on a gameboy color anyway.

Error52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Error52

@artie: It's much, much cheaper on eBay. Check that.

Wary of bootlegs, though: Finding an actual copy instead of a fake one can be exceedingly difficult, and bootleg carts aren't known for their reliability.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unless you're buying it on the eshop on the 3ds or 2ds, playing it on a Game Boy Advance SP is the best way to experience that game.

That system has a backlight and folds neatly. If you find one, you can then play either the original game boy version or the Fire Red remake.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get Pokemon FireRed or LeafGreen.

DasBoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you have a SNES you could probably find a Super Gameboy pretty cheap. There was some GBA adapter for gamecube, right?

VannaDwight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I have played both Red and Blue on my Retron 5. But you will need the cartridge to play it this way.

Has HDMI out and you can use an NES controller to play the game.

LobotomyKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

get an emulator on your smartphone then you can play it on the go

Artie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Artie

@error52: So you're saying this ebay sale of five games for $16 dollars that I just bought from Singapore is likely bootlegs? (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Sale-For-Pokemon-5pcs-Game-Card-Emerald-Fire-Red-Leaf-Green-Ruby-Sapphire-Go-/262536007021?hash=item3d205d8d6d:g:4VoAAOSwZVlXj8tG)

Sort of rhetorical cause I realized how sketchy it was but figured it was worth the risk. After all, $20 dollars was about how much I was willing to spend, and the other more legit options were-- at the lowest-- $40 dollars.

Thanks for all the input everyone!

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@artie: I love the comments section on that item. Such terrible English from everyone, including the seller who basically ignores every single question about them being real or not.

Avatar image for whiteforestparkrangr
    WhiteForestParkRangr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I recommend any of the various (and very affordable at this point) homebrew cards floating around out there for your DS. Might run you about 10-15 dollars for your needs (GB/GBC emulation). There is an excellent Gameboy emulator for the DS called Gameyob that runs perfectly and has a host of customization/personalization options.

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I do an emulator on my phone can you do the new gen for yellow? I know there's fire red and leaf green etc but do those still work on the caveat that you can only catch certain Pokemon?

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By YoThatLimp

I just install Oldboy for Android and emulated it, I had a similar thought.

ehbunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unless you really need to feel the press of a button then I can't recommend an emulator on you're phone with you're favorite version enough! I did this a few years ago and every so often will boot it up and it's great always having it with me, in case I end up needing to pass time while not needing to carry extra devices

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Recommend any emulators for iPhone 6 Plus?

RainDog505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

@lead_dispencer: not going to be any options without jailbreaking your phone. Apple polices their digital store hard for potential copyright infringement. Android is going to your platform of choice for emulating on a phone or tablet.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.