Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon Red/Blue

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Feb 27, 1996

Pokémon Red version and Blue version were the initial two releases in the Pokémon franchise. Red, a Pokémon trainer from Pallet Town who Ash Ketchum, the anime protagonist, was later based on, starts a journey to become a Pokémon Master and ultimately catch 'em all.

What is video game? Part 1: Before Pokemon Red

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By notdavid

I don't play a lot of games. I'm way into the medium, but I always pick a select few to dig into and devote the rest of my time to film, writing, and masturbation. Add to that my parents' wishes that I not play M rated games until adulthood, and you can see how I could have missed several legendary games. Until recently, I have never touched a Halo game. And until today, I have never played Pokemon.

I'm using a specific definition of the word "played" here. I've started Red a few times, and I played 10 minutes of Diamond. I quit after my first Rattata in Red, and made even less progress in the other one. This probably stems from me trying to get into it as an adult, with no frame of reference other than the anime and assorted merchandise, which I was WAY into. Never the RPGs, though. Probably because I never had a Gameboy.

This blog is for the purpose of describing classic games from a virgin perspective. For this first part, I grabbed a copy of Pokemon Red, and I'm going to play it. I also found my old copy of Pokemon Stadium, so I'll finally be able to see what this transfer pack business is all about. When I'm done I'll come back with part 2, describing my thoughts after my first real Pokemon game.

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By notdavid

I don't play a lot of games. I'm way into the medium, but I always pick a select few to dig into and devote the rest of my time to film, writing, and masturbation. Add to that my parents' wishes that I not play M rated games until adulthood, and you can see how I could have missed several legendary games. Until recently, I have never touched a Halo game. And until today, I have never played Pokemon.

I'm using a specific definition of the word "played" here. I've started Red a few times, and I played 10 minutes of Diamond. I quit after my first Rattata in Red, and made even less progress in the other one. This probably stems from me trying to get into it as an adult, with no frame of reference other than the anime and assorted merchandise, which I was WAY into. Never the RPGs, though. Probably because I never had a Gameboy.

This blog is for the purpose of describing classic games from a virgin perspective. For this first part, I grabbed a copy of Pokemon Red, and I'm going to play it. I also found my old copy of Pokemon Stadium, so I'll finally be able to see what this transfer pack business is all about. When I'm done I'll come back with part 2, describing my thoughts after my first real Pokemon game.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

@notdavid said:

Add to that my parents' wishes that I not play M rated games until adulthood

This probably stems from me trying to get into it as an adult

Which is it?

This blog is for the purpose of describing classic games from a virgin perspective.

This can go either way.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Justin258

@Video_Game_King said:

@notdavid said:

Which is it?

I think he means that he's an adult now, but his parents wouldn't let him play M-rated games until he became one?

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By notdavid
    @believer258 Yeah, that one. I'm sleepy.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By SpaceRunaway

I booted up Red on my Super Gameboy the other day, intending to go through the Elite 4 for old time's sake. I had forgotten though, that somewhere along the line some shitty neighbor kid had borrowed my copy under the express condition to not save, and then went ahead and written over my save. That music is so good though.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By toowalrus

This is kind of off-topic, but I feel like posting it here, as I was in a situation similar to yours (what with the parents who didn't let me play M-rated games). I visited my parents the other day, but they happened to be in the middle of hosting a Bible study, so I went to the basement to dick around on the computer until they were finished. One of the people attending is the former Children's Pastor from my church, who quit to pursue some missionary stuff. He was my children's pastor when I was in elementary school (like, 15 years ago- see, I went to church every single week until I was 18- one of those Pentecostal churches that's way into speaking in tongues and stuff). It just so happens, this guy has a seven-year-old son now, and he was downstairs playing some kind of lego-like game on the computer. His dad (the pastor) waged the War against Pokemon, they were convinced that the pokemon were demonic, promoted evolution and satanism... somehow. We were literally told that shit was evil. So I asked the kid "Are kids still into Pokemon", and he told me "Some are, I hate it, it's so demonic". I felt so bad for the kid. I probably should have kept my mouth shout, but I explained to him that Pokemon were created by thinking up lazy portmanteaus (Charmander- char for fire, mander for salamander...). It has nothing to do with Satan, it's just kinda shitty wordplay. I hope I don't hear from his dad... I don't like talkin' to that guy.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Petiew

Red is busted by todays standards. I'm not sure how much you'll enjoy it with no nostalgia.
    Still, looking forward to see what you think of it.

MikeHawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By MikeHawk

It really is amazing how much detail was put into Red and Blue, considering the limitations of the Gameboy. I hope you appreciate it despite not having the nostalgia for it like many of us on GB do. Pokemon Red got me into gaming, so I'm extremely biased towards it. I even went as far as to buy an empty flash cart and a transfer device so I could transfer my save file over to my computer. Those cartridge batteries are ticking time bombs.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Justin258

@TooWalrus said:

This is kind of off-topic, but I feel like posting it here, as I was in a situation similar to yours (what with the parents who didn't let me play M-rated games). I visited my parents the other day, but they happened to be in the middle of hosting a Bible study, so I went to the basement to dick around on the computer until they were finished. One of the people attending is the former Children's Pastor from my church, who quit to pursue some missionary stuff. He was my children's pastor when I was in elementary school (like, 15 years ago- see, I went to church every single week until I was 18- one of those Pentecostal churches that's way into speaking in tongues and stuff). It just so happens, this guy has a seven-year-old son now, and he was downstairs playing some kind of lego-like game on the computer. His dad (the pastor) waged the War against Pokemon, they were convinced that the pokemon were demonic, promoted evolution and satanism... somehow. We were literally told that shit was evil. So I asked the kid "Are kids still into Pokemon", and he told me "Some are, I hate it, it's so demonic". I felt so bad for the kid. I probably should have kept my mouth shout, but I explained to him that Pokemon were created by thinking up lazy portmanteaus (Charmander- char for fire, mander for salamander...). It has nothing to do with Satan, it's just kinda shitty wordplay. I hope I don't hear from his dad... I don't like talkin' to that guy.

People are still on about that shit? I thought we had moved on from Pokemon hating by now. Hell, I thought we had finished up with Harry Potter book burnings by now, but I guess nothing demonic enough has come out since.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By vaiz

@notdavid said:

This blog is for the purpose of describing classic games from a virgin perspective.

From that perspective, most games shouldn't need explaining. HEY-OH. Yeah, I'll show myself out.

On the serious, though, I have the same perspective on the Pokemon games. I never had a Gameboy as a kid, and though my friends were always playing the game, I never got more than the anime series and the card game (mind you, I was nuts about both of them). Always felt like I was missing an integral part of what it was to be a Pokemon fan. Plus, kids started playing YuGiOh eventually and my Pokemon cards became a joke.

Eventually I went back and played FireRed on a GBA, and enjoyed it quite a bit. I would recommend it if you want to play a version of Red.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By toowalrus

@believer258: Looks like you edited your post, but you asked about Twilight. It's funny, I've had this quote from Alex Navarro as my Xbox account's bio for like, 4 years now.

said:

"Twilight was based on a book series written by a Mormon housewife. It's basically an abstinence parable. The entire premise is a young vampire dude, and a young human chick. They want to get it on, but young vampire dude's like "I can't do it to ya, I'm a vampire, I might bite you." Metaphor for AIDS."

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Justin258

@TooWalrus said:

@believer258: Looks like you edited your post, but you asked about Twilight. It's funny, I've had this quote from Alex Navarro as my Xbox account's bio for like, 4 years now.

said:

"Twilight was based on a book series written by a Mormon housewife. It's basically an abstinence parable. The entire premise is a young vampire dude, and a young human chick. They want to get it on, but young vampire dude's like "I can't do it to ya, I'm a vampire, I might bite you." Metaphor for AIDS."

Yeah, I realized the Twilight thing pretty quickly. But, really, I'm mostly wondering why they haven't moved on to freaking out about something else. I guess the big thing among kids these days is that ol' Call of Duty, but since there's no sex, drugs, magic wands, or fantastical monsters in it, they can't say anything about it.

I don't mean to derail the OP's thread, by the way.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By toowalrus

@believer258: Yeah, sorry about that. Getting a lesson in bullshit theology from a 7 year old was definitely interesting though...

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ch3burashka

@Video_Game_King said:

@notdavid said:

Which is it?

This can go either way.

It probably means he hasn't boned yet. He should get on that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.