Archive: Pokemon League Season 5

• 83 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by GoranP (1115 posts) -

S5 is over. We are deliberating for S6 now.

Season 5 has begun! Good luck and have Batman.

Teams:

GB NameTeam
vaporeon, flareon, jolteon, umbreon, espeon, sylveon. Subs are glaceon and leafeon.
Azumarill, Venusaur, Scizor, Talonflame, Mandibuzz, Goodra, with Ferrothorn, Gyarados, and Gliscor as my subs.

Pikachu Delphox Blastoise Sceptile Togekiss Greninja Subs: Charizard Infernape Alakazam

Tyranitar Volcarona Garchomp Kangaskhan Gengar Alakazam

Talonflame, Venusaur, Conkeldurr, Blissey, Skarmory, Gliscor. Subs: Aegislash, Volcarona, Gyarados

Bisharp Espeon Pinsir Clefable Sableye Dragonite Subs: Darmanitan Klefki Greninja

Charizard, Lucario, Salamence, Togekiss, Vaporeon, and Mamoswine. Subs: Alakazam, Scolipede, Aegislash.

Rules

1. You are to battle with the "normal" preset that sets all Pokemon to level 50. This season we are doing a best of 3 for every match (meaning you have to win 2 games against your opponent to advance) with a double elimination format (winners/losers brackets).

2. You are allowed to have a full team of 6 pokedudes, though you can have less if you're crazy. You may also have up to 3 subs. So you can have a total of 9 Pokemon eligible to participate.

2. B) In a best of 3 set, you cannot make subs if you won the previous match. So if you're 1 - 0 up that means you have to play the next game with your previous team of 6. However, losers of the latest game in a best of 3 set can use up to all 3 of their subs. So for example if you win 1 then lose the next game, you are allowed to make up to 3 subs for the final game.

C) The original 6 you register must be the starting team for the first game in a set.

3. If you are in the the tournament, you must PM me your [up to] 9 pokedudes that you will use for this season. Failure to do so results in exclusion (more details with point no. 9).

4. No legendary Pokemon, no evasion moves. You can put one of the opponent's Pokedudes to sleep but not more than that. Yes, you are free to use any Pokedudes that come from the Bank (except for legendaries of course).

5. You can't have more than 1 of the same pokedude in your party, and the same goes for held items (so you can't have 6 leftovers for example). Items are locked to their pokedude, so you can't have leftovers on Dragonite in one fight but Mudkip in the other.

6. When a match is over, update your score on the bracket and post in this thread if you won or lost (we don't need both of you to post/update, just one).

7. Include replay codes of your matches in your posts so that everyone else can also see them.

8. Do not use this thread to set up match times/friend codes with your opponents, please use the PM system for that.

9. Registration for season 5 will end on March 5 or 6 (depends on # of players). The tournament will start a day after that.

10. We will decide the length of the season when we see how many players have signed up. As always, it is a good idea to take a picture of your victory/the opponent's team in case someone here tries to grief.

#2 Posted by DarthOrange (3858 posts) -

Welp it looks as though I am first. Now I just need to decide which nine to put in. Good luck to everyone!

#3 Posted by Hunter5024 (5600 posts) -

Man Bravely Default sure cut into my Pokemanning. I really gotta get my new team going.

#4 Edited by Jinx1 (93 posts) -

Good luck guys, also as before winner of both brackets get starf/lansat berry in an attempt to attract new players.

Praise helix and may bird jesus be with you.

#5 Posted by DarthOrange (3858 posts) -

@aajf, @spaceboat, @hennet_sim, @fragor87, @theblue, @jjor64, you were all either in the last season or expressed interest in a future tournament in the last thread so I figured I would give you a shout out to let you know that you can now sign up and send your team to GoranP.

Also any other new people browsing this thread are more then welcome to join! :D

#6 Edited by JJOR64 (18941 posts) -

I'll give this a whirl this time. Probably will get my ass kicked, but this is for fun. Should note that I have a fucked up sleep schedule and work so I'll do what I can to play these matches.

#7 Posted by JJOR64 (18941 posts) -

For evasion moves you mean Double Team correct? So Protect and Substitute are still OK right? Just want to clear this up.

#8 Posted by Hunter5024 (5600 posts) -

@jjor64 said:

For evasion moves you mean Double Team correct? So Protect and Substitute are still OK right? Just want to clear this up.

Correct. Moves like Double Team and Minimize which specifically "boost evasion" are not allowed. Protect and substitute are acceptable.

#9 Posted by fragor87 (83 posts) -

@darthorange: Just signed up. Had to think of a team to use. This one isn't as well crafted or thought out as last season but we'll see how we fair.

#10 Edited by JJOR64 (18941 posts) -
#11 Edited by SpaceBoat (173 posts) -

I'm going to have to sit out this season. My classes got pretty intense and my team has gotten pretty stale and needs a big re haul. I'll probably be back next season though!

#12 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

A friend and I have decided to jump down the rabbit hole of trying to catch them all. Spent way too much money tracking down old games to do it. I will be too busy with that to join in, but maybe next season.

#13 Posted by JJOR64 (18941 posts) -

@crusader8463: I just finished the a National Dex a few days ago. The GTS is your friend.

#14 Posted by DrFidget (215 posts) -

Quick question, obliviously these rules are not standard format but is it still doubles at least?

I'm getting ready for Seattle regionals next month and if this is doubles then the rules are close enough for it to be decent practice.

#15 Posted by JJOR64 (18941 posts) -
#16 Edited by GoranP (1115 posts) -

We need juuuuuuuust one more player for a nice and even 8! Any takers? I'm away this weekend so I won't be able to answer any questions or anything, but I'll be starting the tournament soon (just hoping for that 8th person!). Also, I still can't edit the first post, what's up with that? I want to update it when the season begins.

@drfidget: This league has been and currently is singles.

#17 Posted by JJOR64 (18941 posts) -

Figured I would bump this to see if anyone else is interested.

#18 Posted by DarthOrange (3858 posts) -

Second bump.

Come duders we just need one more peep to make the bracket even. Don't be intimidated!

#20 Posted by GoranP (1115 posts) -
#21 Posted by JJOR64 (18941 posts) -

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMP

So who ever is SleepoverKing on Challonge, send me a PM of your Friend Code and we can try to work out a time.

#22 Posted by GoranP (1115 posts) -

Teams have been posted, cheers.

#23 Posted by Jinx1 (93 posts) -

Team speculation... Wow jjor bringing the pain. My guess assault vest ttar with rocks, megakhan, sitrus berry volcarona, focus sash gengar, specs alakazam, scarfchomp. Very nice for revenge killing if I am correct. No way to get rid of entry hazards but doesn't seem like you really need it with so much power. The specs/ scarf might end up biting you a bit as its easy predictions.

Hunters team full of mixed attackers. Mega zard probably mixed, same with salamence and lucario with rocks mamoswine. That team will be hard to wall.

Fragor with that powerful core of blissey, skarmory, gliscor. Then a defensive offense of mega venasaur, and assauly vest conkeldurr. Then a banded talonflame for that prioity killing, pretty solid.

Ohpmckenzie a magic bouncer, a cleric, mega pinsir which is a beast. No rapid spinner might end up hurting him though, but as long as you play smart it wont happen.

Darthorange with a fire/water/grass core. Mega blastoise along with possibly a lightning rod pikachu to prevent electic attacks.

Sleepoverkings team mega venasaur, with sitrus azumaril and banded scizor possibly. Mandibuzz to save talonflame and goodra cause he is awesome.

I think it will be between fragor and ohpmckenzies team in the finals, that mega pinsir is just deadly.

#24 Posted by DarthOrange (3858 posts) -

@jinx1 said:

I think it will be between fragor and ohpmckenzies team in the finals, that mega pinsir is just deadly.

Well thanks for wishing me luck in the first round……..

#25 Posted by GoranP (1115 posts) -

Time for you to have a Rocky montage training session and go distance!

#26 Posted by Jinx1 (93 posts) -

@darthorange I wish you good luck! I was merely speculating. I wish everyone good luck.

#27 Edited by Hunter5024 (5600 posts) -

@jinx1: Lots of respect for the eeveelution team, always something I wanted to do but never got around to.

#28 Posted by DarthOrange (3858 posts) -

I managed to eek out a 2-1 win against @ohpmckenzie. They were all good matches and are worth watching in my opinion. The second match especially, we both came down to our last Pokemon (then I lost).

2QWW-WWWW-WWW6-5R9H

9U4G-WWWW-WWW6-5R9Z

PTXW-WWWW-WWW6-5R9U

#30 Posted by fragor87 (83 posts) -

I won the first round match against @hunter5024. Game 1 was pretty tight. I was not expecting a Choice Scarf Togekiss lead. Also, I wasn't sure if Charizard would be Mega Y or X so I tried to test the waters with Gliscor as I saw Blissey as being too valuable. Well, we bet wrong and it was Mega Y. Game 2 was a lot quicker. Talonflame decided to wreck house. Good luck the rest of the way @hunter5024.

#31 Posted by Hunter5024 (5600 posts) -

@fragor87: The problem with surprising your opponent is that it only works once, unfortunately. Good luck to you as well!

Here's the matches if anyone's interested. The first is worth a watch, and the second should hide in shame forever.

JRSW-WWWW-WWW6-5VSZ

QP3W-WWWW-WWW6-5VST

#32 Edited by JJOR64 (18941 posts) -

SleepoverKing and I should hopefully do our match Sunday night. I will probably get wrecked since I'm new to this whole thing. Should still be fun though.

#33 Posted by OhpMckenzie (22 posts) -

I took the battles with @hunter5024 2-1. All the battles were real close! I overpredicted in the 3rd match, thinking he was going to try to trick again and switched right into an air slash. I thought I was definitely going to lose after that but things turned out a bit differently. I think they're all worth checking out!

V8XG-WWWW-WWW6-6Y7P

FB4W-WWWW-WWW6-6Y7V

3PCW-WWWW-WWW6-6Y85

#34 Posted by Hunter5024 (5600 posts) -

@ohpmckenzie said:

I overpredicted in the 3rd match, thinking he was going to try to trick again and switched right into an air slash. I thought I was definitely going to lose after that but things turned out a bit differently.

My thoughts exactly. And then everything crumbled around me. Really fun battles though!

#35 Posted by SleepoverKing (15 posts) -

@jjor64: I wouldn't be so sure, I've got a solid history of choking and forgetting stupid things. S'gonna be a good fight either way methinks.

#36 Edited by JJOR64 (18941 posts) -

2-0 me over SleepoverKing.

8RXW-WWWW-WWW6-7GN6

NHNW-WWWW-WWW6-7GNH

My Mega Kangaskhan shined through. GGs again @sleepoverking.

#37 Edited by JJOR64 (18941 posts) -

2-1 Jinx. The last game was very close. I'll get the replay codes up shortly.

EDIT:

V6KG-WWWW-WWW6-8LB2

D3AG-WWWW-WWW6-8LB8

CUSW-WWWW-WWW6-8LBC

#38 Posted by Jinx1 (93 posts) -

Very close last two battles. Good games, and gl in your next battle. Also thanks for helping me evolve my pokemon.

#39 Edited by DarthOrange (3858 posts) -

I lost 0-2 against @fragor87. Neither match was even remotely close (I actually forfeit the second match), so good luck to whoever faces him next.

FUWG-WWWW-WWW6-97FC

MVQW-WWWW-WWW6-97FF

#40 Posted by JJOR64 (18941 posts) -

2-1 OhpMckenzie

EERW-WWWW-WWW6-99EQ

6HYG-WWWW-WWW6-99ER

FJDG-WWWW-WWW6-99EU

I figured I wouldn't do so hot during this thing since I'm still new to the whole competitive aspect of Pokemon.

#41 Posted by fragor87 (83 posts) -

I defeated @jinx1 2-0. GG and good luck the remainder of the season!. The battle videos are here:

RCQW-WWWW-WWW6-AHE9

BFVG-WWWW-WWW6-AHEF

#42 Posted by Jinx1 (93 posts) -

GG, I feel I went as far as I could with this team. I don't know why but I just love seeing flareon using flare blitz. Hes just so fluffly and usually 1 shots.

#43 Edited by fragor87 (83 posts) -

Flareon is a beast. That flare blitz hits Gliscor for almost 50%. Also is yours a Guts variant?

#44 Edited by Jinx1 (93 posts) -

Unforunately it is not guts. I transfered over my hidden ability eevee from w2 to y, without breeding one. Not sure if you can breed over hidden abilities from male pokemon in w2 or not. So since I can't get superpower it was pointless, and I just bred one in my y copy. Flash fire, adamant, 6 31 ivs, flare blitz, flame charge, sleep talk, choice scarf. Flame charge is on there incase knock off, and I can easily switch him in for sleep fodder, and an unsuspecting sleep talk attack.

#45 Edited by OhpMckenzie (22 posts) -
#46 Posted by DarthOrange (3858 posts) -
#47 Posted by SleepoverKing (15 posts) -

Hey, took it 2-0 against @darthorange that second match had me pretty scared.

MV8W-WWWW-WWW6-C5XF

XANG-WWWW-WWW6-C5XP

#48 Posted by Jinx1 (93 posts) -

I have a suggestion for next season hopefully people will like. Some people wanted to use legendaries, while some are on the fence about it. How about we have two ladders. You must join both if you want to be in season 6. One with the standard rules, and the other with the same rules but allow all legendary pokemon. No generated legendaries allowed. The season will just go on for a longer peroid of time since there is two ladders. Well thats my suggestion let me know what people think. Satisfies both sides of the fence.

#49 Posted by GoranP (1115 posts) -

I don't mind it but I think maybe it would take too long for mot people. I'm more in the "let's have a season that is legendary themed" camp.

#50 Posted by OhpMckenzie (22 posts) -

Took the battles with @sleepoverking 2-1. My blood feud with Gliscor continues. Definitely gonna have to bring along something that attacks multiple times/has infiltrator to take that thing out easier next time.

KVZW-WWWW-WWW6-D94M

N4LW-WWWW-WWW6-D94U

QFQG-WWWW-WWW6-D95Y

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.