(Check the actual league thread from now on) League Proposal

#1 Edited by GoranP (1115 posts) -

Alright! We're moving forward with the league. Check this thread.

Original post.

There's no easy way to stage a league/tournament. It would have to involve PMing your opponent and setting a time with them. If people actually want to put up with that BS then I'll gladly help organize it.

Proposed Rules:

• No legendary Pokemon.
  • No tier limits (except the legendary pokedudes) until the Pokemon Bank is out and people can actually develop new tiers. I've already seen Blaziken get it's ass kicked non stop, for example, and that is considered Uber tier on Smogon as of the last round of games. If we there are genuinely OP Pokemon that break the game, we can ban them.
  • Seasons would ideally last 1 week unless there are too many players in that particular season. Then we can raise the time limit.
  • Whilst having a league or league + playoff system is nice, that would be absolute hell and chaos to organize, maintain, and play. Instead, we jump straight to a knockout tournament system with random pairings. I would create a bracket and update it once or twice a day.
  • The winner or a match would post in the thread "hey I won my match against person A" for example. It's a good idea to take a screenshot of the win or upload your battle video to the Global Link so that if someone tries to cheat, we can easily stamp them out. Same goes for the person trying to use banned Pokemon.
  • You can't have more than of the same Pokemon in your party.
  • Same goes for held items. You can't have 6 "leftovers" for example.
  • Battles will be fought using the normal preset (I believe that is what it is called in game) that drops all Pokemon to level 50. This doesn't negate you raising your Pokemon because a lot of great moves are learnt past level 50. In the future if only the hardcore players still want to play then we can consider anything goes rules.

Follow Nintendo's Current 3 Pokemon Rule (which they may update) or use the full 6?

• Ranked matches currently allow only 3 Pokemon (the game says it can update rule changes whenever Nintendo wants).
  • Do we want to follow their system or use all 6? I leave the vote to you guys.

The winner gets internet bragging rights (yaaaay)! Anyway, let me know what you think of the idea. Setting up matches would suck hairy ass but the matches themselves would probably be fun.

#2 Posted by DarkShaper (1328 posts) -

I really like this idea, my only problem is banning all legendary Pokemon. Why ban Pokemon like Mew and Victini when they are outclassed by common Pokemon like Dugtrio and Tentacruel? Until the we have a better handle on the gen 6 changes I would just ban the Gen 5 ubers and the new legendary Pokemon. As for three Pokemon vs. six, I prefer six but don't care that much either way.

#3 Posted by soulcake (268 posts) -

Looks pretty cool never being in the pokemon multiplayer scene. but sure wanna give it a try, it seems hard to organize for sure. i am open to help you with the tournament if you want just PM if you need any help.

#4 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

I think I need a few years to train first.

#5 Posted by Gonmog (580 posts) -

id be game. I think the 3v3 is a good starting point. Not less to deal with and plan for. But still has some tactics that could be interesting. last time I did any pokemon fights it was still the 90s so I have no idea about banning or anything like that lol

#6 Posted by SpaceKangaroo (138 posts) -

I AM UP FOR GÍÁNTBÓMB ÉXTRÓADÍNÁRY POKÉBÁTTLÉ CHÁMPÍÓNSHÍP LÉÁGÚÉ !

#7 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4714 posts) -

I want this.

#8 Posted by Forderz (247 posts) -

Nerf Mega Gengar. Fucker has shadow tag and is a fucking beast. Chandeluer had shadow tag with a worse typing and shittier stats, and was straight up banned in tournaments.

I'd be interested.

#9 Edited by Flappy (2206 posts) -

I'm a Breeder and I'm down to party.

Edit: I'm actually a Goomy breeder, but that's a minor detail.

#10 Edited by Hunter5024 (5639 posts) -

I've never been a part of another forum so I don't really know how leagues work, but as a seasoned pokemon player I am definitely interested in participating. Personally I would strongly prefer 6 pokemon. Reason being that I think if there are only 3 pokemon allowed, the best strategy would probably be to just build 3 sweepers, and speaking from experience that's not a very fun fight. As far as the ban list goes I think I'd be okay with a blanket legendary ban for now, though once the pokemon bank comes out I think we should probably reassess.

Edit: Also a super stupid name for the league is crucial.

#11 Posted by DarthOrange (3858 posts) -

It feels too soon! I don't have a single Pokemon at 50 yet. Give it a little more time and I am down.

#12 Edited by Hunter5024 (5639 posts) -

@darthorange: They level you up to 50 for that particular set of rules, though I agree, another couple of weeks would be appreciated. I don't even think base stats are up yet. Though we could always just do another.

#13 Posted by Flappy (2206 posts) -

@hunter5024: As far as base stats go, all we really have is estimates. They're pretty accurate, but some make certain Pokemon (Tyrantum comes to mind) seem...lacking.

#14 Posted by LiquidPrince (15918 posts) -

The reason I never play battles against anyone but my friends, is I don't have time for all that confusing as shit EV and IV training. I just wanna battle regular old dudes, not your army of bred war machines designed with only bloodshed in mind.

#15 Posted by Hunter5024 (5639 posts) -

@flappy: Maybe that's for the best. There's been some serious power creep going on since Gen 4. I guess it would be kind of a bummer if none of the new pokemon were relevant though.

@liquidprince Well they simplified the hell out of Ev's. 30 minutes of mini-games and you're good to go. As far as IV's go there are some competitive players who don't even mess with those because they're kind of difficult to influence.

#16 Posted by Konamikoden (26 posts) -

Let's start a community where exp is shared, and our mans are pokey

#17 Posted by Flappy (2206 posts) -

@hunter5024: This is my first time dabbling with the competitive scene, but I've heard that some newer (Gen IV/V) Pokes just totally outclass the rest. I understand why that's the case, but damn!

It's gonna be fun putting together a team and mucking around with people.

#18 Posted by redyoshi (149 posts) -

I've got to figure out how to actually build a team, but I'm up for this.

#19 Edited by Itwongo (1185 posts) -

I'm down. I'm no IV breeder, but I think I know my way around enough to have fun with this. I looked at my game time, and it says I've played 80 hours so I might as well do something with it, right? Oh god what am I doing with my tiiiiiiime.

Though, honestly, half that time is probably spent idling. I'd pretty much turn it on in the morning and never close it out turn it off until I went to bed.

#20 Edited by GunslingerPanda (4714 posts) -

If it happens, how about following the current season's rules and make it new Pokemon only? That might be fun and everyone will be on an even footing (I won't be able to use my beast Tyranitar and Haxorus, for example.)

Here's what I'm talking about: http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/battle/1/regulation/

#21 Posted by GoranP (1115 posts) -

For people saying this is too soon, we wouldn't start today or anything, we would have time. As for players who are new to this idea, I would post links to guides that could help with team building/stats/etc. I guess we could have a few house rules every now and then to keep things interesting as well!

If it happens, how about following the current season's rules and make it new Pokemon only? That might be fun and everyone will be on an even footing (I won't be able to use my beast Tyranitar and Haxorus, for example.)

Here's what I'm talking about: http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/battle/1/regulation/

I like that idea but definitely not for every season of course.

I really like this idea, my only problem is banning all legendary Pokemon. Why ban Pokemon like Mew and Victini when they are outclassed by common Pokemon like Dugtrio and Tentacruel? Until the we have a better handle on the gen 6 changes I would just ban the Gen 5 ubers and the new legendary Pokemon. As for three Pokemon vs. six, I prefer six but don't care that much either way.

I see the value in using the established tier, but personally as a spectator, I prefer the chaos of everyone discovering the game right now. But that's just my personal preference of course.

#22 Posted by aajf (223 posts) -

This would be my first foray into actual competitive multiplayer, but with the simplification of EV training I think I'm game. Will probably get destroyed.

#23 Posted by StarvingGamer (8156 posts) -

Man I remember when I was a gym leader in this Livejournal league when Diamond/Pearl came out. Leagues are fun.

As far as IV's go there are some competitive players who don't even mess with those because they're kind of difficult to influence.

That sounds not right. At the competitive level one point of Speed or Attack or Defense can be the difference between total victory and utter defeat. The whole metagame revolves around max stat comparisons.

#24 Edited by GunslingerPanda (4714 posts) -

Man I remember when I was a gym leader in this Livejournal league when Diamond/Pearl came out. Leagues are fun.

@hunter5024 said:

As far as IV's go there are some competitive players who don't even mess with those because they're kind of difficult to influence.

That sounds not right. At the competitive level one point of Speed or Attack or Defense can be the difference between total victory and utter defeat. The whole metagame revolves around max stat comparisons.

It's also incredibly easy to manipulate IVs now with the friend safari giving you 2 perfect IVs in each Pokemon and Destiny Knot upping the number of inherited stats from parents to 5.

#25 Edited by Hunter5024 (5639 posts) -

@hunter5024 said:

I could be wrong for modern pokemon, but back in the Gen 4 days when I was deepest into the competitive aspect the higher tier players generally just used online battle software like Shoddy Battle so they didn't have to train at all. If they were going to enter a tournament or something they'd certainly mess with IVs (for sure the primary stats at least), but if we're talking about a normal in game team for competitive battling, I didn't know anybody who'd go beyond the couple most important stats for that particular Pokemon, and many people didn't even do that. For all I know it's totally different now though, I barely paid any attention during the Black and White days.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.