Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon X/Y

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Oct 12, 2013

The first Pokémon games on the 3DS and the first to be released simultaneously worldwide.

Conceivably we are going to start microtrans

Avatar image for deactivated-5b45500a95f79
    deactivated-5b45500a95f79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I foresee that we will be able to pay for single pokemon.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

In the spinoff games yea. Not in the main line Pokemon. This is already the case with Rumble U.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Not if Junichi Masuda has anything to say about it: http://www.vg247.com/2013/10/11/pokemon-x-y-why-the-series-will-always-have-a-home-on-nintendo-handhelds/

“We like the idea that through Pokémon people can make conversation or you can become friends and that Pokémon can be a safe environment for that,” Masuda explained. “In terms of DLC specifically, I don’t know what shape DLC can take in the future. But at the moment I don’t feel it’s a safe enough mode – so to speak – appropriate for Pokémon.

“There’s no download content or microtransaction content developed specifically for Pokémon X and Y. We’ve not come up with any ideas on that yet. I like the idea that Pokémon can be enjoyed with just one piece of software. You buy the game and it can be enjoyed just with that one software that you buy. That’s a key point for Game Freak.”

TowerSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itwongo said:

Not if Junichi Masuda has anything to say about it: http://www.vg247.com/2013/10/11/pokemon-x-y-why-the-series-will-always-have-a-home-on-nintendo-handhelds/

“We like the idea that through Pokémon people can make conversation or you can become friends and that Pokémon can be a safe environment for that,” Masuda explained. “In terms of DLC specifically, I don’t know what shape DLC can take in the future. But at the moment I don’t feel it’s a safe enough mode – so to speak – appropriate for Pokémon.

“There’s no download content or microtransaction content developed specifically for Pokémon X and Y. We’ve not come up with any ideas on that yet. I like the idea that Pokémon can be enjoyed with just one piece of software. You buy the game and it can be enjoyed just with that one software that you buy. That’s a key point for Game Freak.”

That's good to hear, because I think Pokemon is one of those series where that kind of microtransactions really undermine one of the core reasons to enjoy the franchise. It would be bad in a similar direction to the D3 auction house- and for the record, I'm not inherently against microtrans options.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@itwongo said:

One of my friends is really into the hats you can make your player character wear. If they do small DLC like that or decor that don't really matter it would be cool, but yeah microtransactions for pokemon would ruin the core of what the games are about to me.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Snail

Why would you aim this sort of cynicism at Nintendo? They've done nothing to earn it.

Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Gonmog

I like the idea that Pokémon can be enjoyed with just one piece of software.

Um. He can pretend all he wants, but it's two pieces of software. :)

No you can enjoy the full game with just buying one of the two. So he is right. Anyone that buys both...is weird and does not want to do anything social.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

Half the fun of Pokemon is trying to catch the rare ass Pokemons. Paying for individual Pokemon seems like paying for some sort of cheat code.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

If we're making topics just to idly say things are "conceivable" now, I'm not sure where we're going to end up.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f5004a3f1624
    deactivated-5f5004a3f1624

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think we'll see any microtransactions with Pokemon, at least not on that level. Buying certain Pokemon with real-world money is invalidating the core structure of the game itself, a game built on raising your custom team yourself. Nintendo knows that a good way to get value from a Pokemon game is to have a ton of in-game content (whether it be quests or just more monsters to catch), so being able to just buy your way to that content shortens the replayability, meaning less people will play it.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By crusader8463

It doesn't matter what he wants or thinks. At some point they are a company that needs to make money and if they get to the point where they need it bad enough you can bet your ass they will be more than happy to charge you $2 to get Pikachu in your game with a special one of a kind you can only get by buying it power. Unless people stand up and stop buying games that throw microtransaction into them on top of paying for the game itself it's never going away. And sadly there will always be enough people out there with more money than brains or people that just don't care enough to not buy it.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@crusader8463: Pokemon games have had exclusive give aways for Pokemon with unique moves, abilities or items since the very beginning. They've never made us pay for them, I don't see why they'd change their stance on that now.

CynicalBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CynicalBuzzard

I can careless if they do it or not, I doubt that they will though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.