Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon X/Y

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Oct 12, 2013

The first Pokémon games on the 3DS and the first to be released simultaneously worldwide.

Do You Name Them?

• 67 results
    Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Poll Do You Name Them? (194 votes)

Yes 34%
    No 61%
    Don't care, I want results 5%

The Pokemon, do you give them nicknames? Why if yes or no?

Because I don't, I'm just not a fan of the idea of personifying my pocket monsters. That heartless slave driver who is mostly interested in capturing the best looking pokemon to form a group of monsters that wreck shit and nothing more, yeah that's me. I like deindividuation and pokemon to go hand in hand, I want to form a strong team and have them assimilate into the legion of power hungry pokedudes that I've accumulated over the course of the franchise since Blue version. I show favoritism by having them occupy one of the six slots in my party and I provide positive reinforcement for being stronger by allowing one of them grace the top slot in the party and that's that.

I don't know about you guys.

• 
    Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I name them after my friends.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By NegativeCero

Definitely, it's a big part of the fun for me. At some point though, I get lazy and make bullshit names up, but I do think about the names for my main team and any Pokemon I may want to use.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#53 riostarwind  Moderator

Sometimes I give them a name but not always. When I name them it's usually something obvious like naming a flying Pokemon Sky.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@donchipotle said:

@colourful_hippie said:

@donchipotle: Psh, his weak ass couldn't win a single championship, unless you count the obscure Baby Orange League.

@red said:

the faceless drones I fight day to day

Ahh, now we're talking.

Red won the 9th Triennial Pokemon League Championships. Dude was going to become the Viridian Gym Leader but Lorelei froze him in ice for a month. Red is so hardcore that he shrugged off being frozen and continued to wreck shit in other regions. Ain't no one fucks with Red.

Until I knocked his ass out after he was done staring at the wall in Mt. Silver.

Those aren't the same people

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

No, it's dumb.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#57  Edited By MormonWarrior

I didn't when I was a kid because I was super obsessive about it, but now I think it's hilarious. I crack myself up when I boot up old Pokemon games and find a random Pokemon named "Freakums" or something.

My new policy is to nickname everything except legendaries, which are technically supposed to be one-of-a-kind in your world. But then there was the one time I named my Mewtwo from LeafGreen "Sophocles" so I dunno...I like to nickname them now.

As long as the names are creative at least. Getting bullcrap named Pokemon is a real buzzkill.

EDIT: It does cause some problems when I'm not familiar with the newer Pokemans though. Here's the aforementioned "Freakums" that made me hysterical. I still don't know what it's really called.

No Caption Provided

Rising

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't bother naming mine either. I simply prefer their native names. I always hated it when you'd trade for Pokemon in game and get something with the most ridiculous name.

overnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By overnow

I never name my pokemon. Part of it is that I like using a ton of different pokemon and giving them names would make it more confusing (espeicially in older games). Also I'm just not very creative.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#60  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I always name my Pokemon. It's been a simple but fun way to personalise them.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#61  Edited By jacksukeru

@mormonwarrior: I think it's called Shellos

Actually I'm gonna factcheck before posting...

Yup, it's Shellos! Freakums is a really funny and fitting nickname though.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#62  Edited By kerse

I usually name them after characters in a recent game I've played and liked. Right now I'm using names from Tales of Xillia. I only name them after I get my main team of 6 together though, I don't just name every single pokemon I catch, just my A-team. And sometimes I just give them inappropriate names, however X/Y has a pretty serious filter on stuff you can use as names now which is kind've a bummer, I used to name the rival "Fuck" because for some reason it makes me laugh, yes I'm 12.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#63  Edited By StarvingGamer

I usually give one of each type a nickname. The more punderful the better. Maybe it's just because I really like bad puns.

When I am doing competitive breeding I give them serial numbers for easy sorting.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Man they censor nicknames now? When the pokemon bank finally launches it might be difficult for me to transfer my ditto named Slut.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Names are stupid. My pokemen are numbered.

While that's probably a joke, I literally did this while breeding for good EV's to take on the World Tournament in B/W2 because it made them easier to differentiate. My Starmie is called Twenty-six.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the idea of nicknames, but I never give them any. Like I would like to call Squirtle something like Squirts, but when it evolves I'll have to rename it to have one that is appropriate to its evolution.

lumley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

Normally no, occasionally yes. The only Pokemon I have named in X so far were my Eevee's (Electro, Hydro, Flamey, Espy, Umby & Freezo, Mossy & Slyeo) but that was mainly so that I don't mess up the evolutions.

Darth Paul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#68  Edited By Darth Paul

Yes, I always name my pokemon and it always varies in what I name them. Sometimes I'll name them after some of my favorite characters, and other times I'll name them like Digimon, and other times I'll just name them whatever their actual names are but backwards. So for example Pikachu becomes Uhcakip. I'm just totally random with it.

t3hgam3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me it's an all or nothing thing. I either name every single Pokemon I catch in that game, or none of them. In the earlier generations I named everything. Come fourth gen I stopped. However, during the pre-release hype fest, many of the revealed and/or leaked pokemon instantly gave me ideas for names. So rather than saying "Hmm, if I were naming my pokemon, I would totally name this helioptile "Yuuko."" I just went ahead and decided to name them all this generation.

But I can't just name it the first thing that pops into my head, it has to be something that relates to it in one way or another. Most of what I've come up with has been anime or Dark Souls related.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.