Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon X/Y

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Oct 12, 2013

The first Pokémon games on the 3DS and the first to be released simultaneously worldwide.

Finding shinies?

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

Poll Finding shinies? (75 votes)

In the wild 12%
    In the Friend Safari 16%
    From Breeding 5%
    Nope! 72%

Seems like people at least think the shiny rate is higher in this game than pervious, especially in the Friend Safari. I've never seen a shiny in any game (only played the GBA games) until 2 days ago, and I just caught my second one. Both have been in the Friend Safari. Also I didn't think I'd care at all about catching them, but now that I have, plus the fact they're cutesy 3d models now... I haven't done much breeding but I put a Japanese Ditto in the day-care. Just curious as to what others are experiencing.

• 
    SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

I actually got a Shiny Bulbasaur from Sycamore. That's the only one I've seen so far and I doubt I'll see many more than that.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Haven't found one in this game yet, but I hear tipping people increases the odds of finding a shiny. Probably not by much, but hey.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I haven't found a shiny once (not counting Red Gyrados) and that makes me quite salty. However, if I managed to breed a Timid female Shiny Fennekin, I'm pretty certain that my body would burst into flames from the overwhelming amount of raw hype.

I'll probably do the fishing trick to get a shiny Skrelp or something. Iunno...

DeadeyeMcCoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I caught a random shiny Spiritomb in the Friend Safari, and it certainly seems people are finding quite a few there. I'd bank on there being some sort of up in the frequency of shiny appearances this gen. It especially feels like it to me since I've never encountered a shiny by chance like that before.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I see a lot of shiny Pokemon on the GTS, and of course people always want unobtainable shit like Suicine and Typhlosion.

I haven't caught one personally yet in X and Y but I bet when I do it will be something super lame.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is my eighth game and I haven't seen a single shiny in the wild.

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turtlebird95: My first one was a Tangela. I don't know if that's lame or cool. At least you can tell it's different.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I've played every iteration up until now and have only ever found three shinies. One was a whismur and the other two were both caterpies. Nothing really interesting, and if I happen to find another in X I imagine it'll be similar.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

I found my first ever Shiny in Sapphire - shiny Tentacool. Green ass motherfucker.

But yeah, I'm 99% sure the shiny rate in X and Y is jacked waaaaay up. My friend who has never had a shiny before got one, and I got another one just out of the blue (he was a blue Electrode actually, dope). I've heard lots of people recounting similar stories.

phampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tried some chain fishing and caught a shiny poliwhirl on the 46th hook. Took about 20 minutes.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

I am pretty sure the rate is way higher then it has been before. I had never found a shiny before this game. I found a shiny Fletching at the beginning of the game (was the third Pokemon I ran into). My brother found a Shiny Psyduck.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't seen one. I'm pretty sure I exhausted all of my Shiny Luck in previous games. I have far more than I believe I statistically should. I've gotten 10 by myself, not including ones I used the Pokeradar for.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I weighed in up once, I've got over 600 hours in the main Pokemon games (Red, Yellow, Gold, Diamond, X) ... and I've never caught a shiny except for that red Gyarados. I did contract PokeRus in Gold which had a 3 in 65,536 of ocurring acording to Bulbapedia. Can't win them all.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I did some chain fishing and now possess a shiny Goldeen and Sharpedo. With a pokemon that has Suction Cups or Sticky Hold, it's really hard to not get a bite. I'll have to try radar chaining at some point too, because there aren't a ton of fishing rod pokemon I'd be super stoked to catch.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By kerse

I'm continuing my streak of playing every pokemon game multiple times through and never seeing a shiny ever. I did get pokerus a couple times though.

phampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just found another one. A whismur in a horde battle. That's two in two days!

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing so far, just under 42 hours in.

Think I've seen 15-20 total since they were first introduced. Was it G/S/C?

CynicalBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unfortunately I have yet to see a shiny Pokemon.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

Shiny Ponyta with bad nature and ability. Friend Safari. It's my second shiny ever.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Sooty

never ever gotten one, fuck Pokemon.

nights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By nights

I was fortunate enough to find a shiny Electabuzz in the Friend Safari. Been trying to breed a shiny Froakie, but haven't had any luck thus far. Shiny Greninja is amazing.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just found a shiny Gulpin awwwwwwwwwwww shit!

Avatar image for perfectlizardwizard
    perfectlizardwizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I literally walked into the safari zone and the first thing that popped up was a shiny Pikachu. That said, I have cooked up 300+ eggs with different region pokes and haven't gotten 1 shiny.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I caught a shiny Sableeye in emerald once. Then I used it in my party just because it was shiny.

Zeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

While I have admittedly ground for nearly 30 hours before the third gym (because... I'm crazy or something), I've found 2 shinies so far just from regular grass; a Skiddo and a Ducklett. I've seen one shiny before that, in Black, which I think was a natural one too. So I'm gonna say shiny rate is up.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

I caught a shiny Mr. Mime... shit.

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I've been using a safari with Audino to mindlessly level and evolve stuff to fill the Pokedex. The other Pokemon present there is Aipom and I now have 3 shiny ones. I haven't seen a shiny Audino though.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you guys have Shiny's you don't know what to do with, maybe post them in the trading thread? Maybe you'll get an offer for something awesome. Mr. Mime is someone's favorite pokemon.

LetsGameFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Friend Safari boosts the chances because if your friend is OFFLINE then there is only a total of TWO pokemon that can be encountered, and as you may or may not know, encountering the same pokemon repeatedly boosts your chances of finding that pokemon in shiny.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@letsgamefreak: That's not quite true, only when you're chaining the same Pokemon through the Pokeradar does encountering the same one boost the shiny rate. You can't use the Pokeradar in the Friend Safari which is a bummer.

Also, the third Pokemon in each safari only shows up when your friend has beaten the Elite 4 and you have both been online at the same time. You don't need to always be on together to unlock the third.

LetsGameFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theblue: Touché! Haha, guess I need to research some more!

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By Xeiphyer

once caught a shiny Geodude. Hes made of gold and is totally pimpin. Too bad geodude is a lame pokemon!

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for generic_username
    generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By generic_username

I haven't found a shiny yet, but I've been trying all week to. I did manage to catch Pokerus from a wild Pokemon though, and from what I hear the chances of that are even smaller then the chances of finding a shiny. I was pretty happy about that, at least. Also, I totally have Pokerus if anyone needs it, I'll hook you up. (PM me, don't ask on the thread)

Also, from what I've been seeing around the internet, it seems like the shiny rate is around 1/4000ish as opposed to 1/8000ish, and in the friend safari it's around 1/2000ish. The rate from breeding has been doubled as well, including with the Masuda method. I don't have any direct sources, but I've been scouring the internet about this stuff all week and those are the numbers that stuck with me, so I'm assuming those are the ones I saw the most.

CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By CrimsonAvenger
    No Caption Provided

This is the second shiny I've gotten in a trade. First was Gyarados but I figured everybody knew what Shiny Gyarados looked like. Traded a Grovyle for this.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

My 3rd shiny pokemon bred. This one was funny cause I was breeding pokemon for another user on the site and I guess I missed that I actually bred a shiny until later on.

TowerSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chained up a shiny absol- the way Pokeradar works in this game, for every 20 pokemon in the chain your guarenteed 1 perfect IV so at 40 it had perfect Attack and Speed. Found a shiny Scraggy in a horde and a shiny Emolga in the Safari. Once Pokemon Bank finally comes out, I'll have a nice stock of chained shinies from Diamond. Back when it didn't limit you to 1 shiny per pokeradar chain.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.